Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Morning...  absolute blizzard out there...  

Emmy.. I won't be doing Medoc this year...  I really want to do it, but I think the timing isn't good and its right in between two ultras...  the same will happen next year...  I think I'll wait until 2015 and after Badwater (if I get in) as time pressures will be less then.

• Options

Snowing here today today, although not much the wind chill is awful. Maybe better that I am working,  it saves me finding an excuse not to go out!! Happy not doing my LSR today afterall I am so tired. Think the result of a double run yesterday.image

• Options

Has anyone here run with the pacers during the race?  The website says they offer encouragement to the runners, which I think could be helpful, but I'm wondering what language they would do this in?  I recall seeing at least 2 pacers for each time goal, is there one for French and one for other languages I wonder?

• Options

Danni - thanks for posting link to that story. Really inspiring read. Deserately sad for the guy, but he's got an amazingly positive attitude. Went to Utube to listen to that song he was playing as he crossed the line - it's going on my run playlist as soon as I can get a copy.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Lovely story Danni image

10 miles with 4 x 1200m @ 5k pace coming up for me once I finish my coffee.  I REALLY don't want to put my old shoes on for this.  My knee has stopped hurting...if it starts again after this run then I'm pretty sure it's the shoes.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

James - The pacers run with a lot of people around them, so you would have to be running right next to them to hear any encouragement.

If you fancy running with the pacers then just treat them like a 'hare' and keep pace with the flag.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I may well keep my beady eyes on the 4:15 pacers this year

Orbutt - I'm still chuckling at your cross training response yesterday... image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@James - i've used them for two races and they've worked well at the start for 'reigning me in' so I don't go off too fast. I try not to completely rely on them as sometimes they do it get it wrong.

• Options

re pacers - i like the idea of using one for Paris, but i bet they get mobbed and it can be a bit annoying with everybody jostling for a bit of pacer love, so i might have to rely on good old me.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thanks for peoples input into doing 26 this weekend. Have decided to drop it back to 22 which means I will have done 1x20, 2x22 and 1x24. Looking forward to getting it out the way now and then I can really start looking forward to Paris.

Went out last night to do 6x0.5mile intervals and it was freezing, especially running in to the wind. Thought the wind and cold had slowed me down whilst also knackering me out but turns out I was running down in the 6:30-6:45m/m rather than 7m/m so no wonder I was finding it tough going. Maybe the cold meant that I just wanted to get it over and done with!

• Options

Good advice.   I think I'll hang back off the pacers and just watch the flag from a distance.   I'll have the Garmin, so that should keep me on track as well.

I was reading somewhere about the Clif Bar pacers and it sounds like they'll really try to talk you through the entire race. 

• Options

Rick - Something to bear in mind with the pacers. If I remember (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there's four pacers for each pen, two at the front of each pen and two at the back. If you set off in the middle of the pen, the pacer you're keeping an eye on could have crossed the start line 5 minutes earlier than you, or if you lose track, you could start following the pacer who crossed the line 5 minutes after you.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I ran close to one of the Runners World pacers at the Blackpool Half. She ran a little faster than her proper pace and dropped back at the end. This meant that I got in under target, as I just carried on when she slowed.

She was very chatty too but she only had about 20 people max running with her.

• Options

Emmy - loving the snow. Although bike ride with dog this morning was err, 'challenging'. Bitter wind. Puppy loved it though.

james rickert wrote (see)

Has anyone here run with the pacers during the race?  The website says they offer encouragement to the runners, which I think could be helpful, but I'm wondering what language they would do this in?  I recall seeing at least 2 pacers for each time goal, is there one for French and one for other languages I wonder?

James - it's in Franceimage Encouragement may happen for those on the pacer's shoulders. People crowd around them like they are a running lifejacket or something. To be honest, I find these people to be mobile barriers as they all run at the same speed so there is no natural gaps appearing between the runners. Trying to overtake them is seriously hard work - need to use elbows which is never much fun.

However, I'd recommend that everyone learns the art of practising an encouraging inner monologue. Talk to yourself as you go along. Say nice things, Recognise you are going to plan, tell yourself you are doing well. Remind yourself of all the good moments in your training. Best not to rely on anything external as you can only control and rely on yourself in these big city maras.

26 days to go.

• Options

Gawd....what's with this weather.  At least we've no snow (yet) but it's lashing it down and windy, thankfully not a running day for me - my legs are like concrete.....got 10k tomorrow and Thur & Fri then the BIG one on Sunday.  Due to snow a little on Thursday so hope it doens't last. 

Paris looked bad on the news last night (as did UK), and I'm secretly hoping it's going to be a nice cool (slight drizzle will do me)day  on 7th April....

I talk and sing along whilst running and if I'm feeling bad or not going well, I shout at myself A LOT......nearing the end it gets bad and loud, lordy knows that spectators think... imageimage

• Options
    James - yes, bear in mind that there are staggered starts within the pens, so unless you see when they cross the line, you can't be exactly sure what time they will cross the finish. Which I how I ended up with a 4:08 time by following the 4:15 pacer. Not that I was complaining image . It is very helpful to use them, as it means you can relax into the pace (in as much as you can ever relax during a marathon). One trick is to try and run slightly ahead of them. It's less crowded, and you know that as long as they don't pass you, your pace is OK.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there is a 4hr30 pacer this year? I didn't notice them last year and normally rather my own pace but may need the motivation this year...
  • Options
    Sorry, just read Weedy's post, ignore me. Cheers
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Can't keep up with this thread! 

I can feel the anticipation building as the big day draws nearer. Only 26 days - wow!

Nobbling here too but the sun is out at least. This time last week I was out sweating in a T-shirt!

• Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Know what you mean Malcs, the weather is crazy! Was a blizzard here this morning and now you'd never know it have even snowed. Typically, I went out for my run at 5.30 this morning in the freezing cold like a mug. SHOULD STAY IN BED!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

However, I'd recommend that everyone learns the art of practising an encouraging inner monologue. Talk to yourself as you go along. Say nice things, Recognise you are going to plan, tell yourself you are doing well. Remind yourself of all the good moments in your training. Best not to rely on anything external as you can only control and rely on yourself in these big city maras.

26 days to go.

I don't think I've ever managed an encouraging anything while running, plenty of screaming abuse at myself mentally and a couple of times out loud towards the end of marathons! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@TD - we have 6cm of snow and the wind this morning nearly cut straight through me. 2 miles of the route was entirely in headwind and being out of it felt quite warm in comparison!

I'm tempted to use the 4.30 pacer at Paris but I need to make sure that i'm sensible about it... especially if the dr. visit on Thursday doesnt go as I want it to!

Kaz - I feel for you today - if it was biting wind here; it must be horrible up there!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Some nice pictures from Loch Katrine this weekend https://plus.google.com/photos/112197983712122257352/albums/5853756425079518497

Thankfully for you all uou won't see my ugly mug on there. I must have been going too fast! image

• Options

http://www.parismarathon.com/marathon/2013/us/r3_meneursdallure.html

Just checked on website about pacers - it lists which ones there are and whether they will be slowing down at the drink stations or stopping at the stations.

• Options
    Weedy - does it mention whether any of them will be nipping off into the bushes for a pee, like the one I followed last yearimage ?
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I may well keep my beady eyes on the 4:15 pacers this year

Orbutt - I'm still chuckling at your cross training response yesterday... image

Glad to be of service image

BTW, from what I recall, youre running in the Green pen. That would mean the 4:15 pacers (Grey) would be starting behind you.

TD - I've been practicing with my inner dialogue but I often find my Chimp pitches in and I need to have a word.

Onetit - I've been known to shout at myself too but any singing I keep within my head.

• Options

Be careful about relying on the pacers...  I recall one year the 3:45 and 4:00 pacers finished together!   

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    TD - I've been practicing with my inner dialogue but I often find my Chimp pitches in and I need to have a word.

Onetit - I've been known to shout at myself too but any singing I keep within my head.

I love the idea of chimp pitches in your head! I also shout at myself and sing.... but I do that when i'm not running image

Dark Vader wrote (see)

Be careful about relying on the pacers...  I recall one year the 3:45 and 4:00 pacers finished together!   

I think that was the case at VLM last year.

• Options

Thanks Egghy73.

I just hope it's not as warm pn the day this time as it wa back in 2010.

Bon chance everyone!

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    If the Pacers haven't been in touch with ATM for advice then I wouldn't trust them.

Snow in Paris until Thursday then rain until 21 March. However I think the Pacers work at Metro France. I think DV wanted hot weather, I presume it's when experience shows. After months of training in the cold blizzards any spring sunshine will take it's toll.

The only inner voice I hear tells me that I'm hungry. image