Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

ATM thanks for the PARIS info.

I have 16 miles to do tomorow,

good luck to all on your taper.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Good call DV, I remember a wiseman once said that it was important to have fun. Those conditions weren't fun, well done in getting as far as you did. Welcome back to the warmth of the forum.
  • Options
    ATM wrote (see)

DV sent https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5858587835519910114?banner=pwa   of track..  image

HOLY SHIT! (reminds me of glastonbury 2002-ahh that was a year!)

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

That way madness and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of mud lies.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DV - Sounds sensible to pull out given the conditions and the injury. I hope your ankle isn't hurt too badly.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    ATM wrote (see)

DV sent https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5858587835519910114?banner=pwa   of track..  image

HOLY SHIT! (reminds me of glastonbury 2002-ahh that was a year!)

That's to be used for mud wrestling surely?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV is on the train heading for London. I told him he's to bring the mud back for the  wrestling...image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

TP100/Paris thread mud wrestling it is! But only for the girls, apparently...

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

DV is stopping at 28 miles. He feels it's the sensible decision because the ankle means his progress is too slow. He's going to send some photos.* yeah! Damage limitation has got to be a good idea. Must be dead annoying, though. *

Indeed - but better than the hospital.

ATM - I have always run wth music but did a country half recently where the jpod wasn't allowed.  Given I am going to be damned slow this year and at the back, I have never run a marathon without music and just soaked up the atmosphere, I may just take the opportunity...

However, sometimes, music just keeps you ging and makes you smile, even through the worst pain... I guess I'll decide on the morning!

What have you on your playlist then?

• Options

Oh, by the way, while we're on quotes:

'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'

Winston Churchill

Pretty good. (And I think I saw it at the start of an episode of Borgen...)

• Options

Not sure what happened today. 15 miles this morning, and feel absolutely fine now. 

Sorry to hear about DV, but you've done the right thing in stopping. Nothing to prove, everything to lose

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Good decision from DV.

I run with music. Last year I used the tour they provided, but this year it's just random music - whatever's on my ipod will do.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I usually don't pod-up except on LSRs to mask the pain and provide a distraction.  I know it's been a good one if I have a little boogie when I get home.  It's never planned...it just happens.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Iain, my pod's full of stuff I heard in the gym...pop. I've  manipulated the tempo of all of it so that it's at 180bpm.I need the steady beat to help me keep a steady cadence. Well, that's the theory...

DV sounds fine. His attention has drifted to the mud-wrestling scenario..

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I sometimes use music and it depends how I feel. There are some days where one song will just be on repeat.

Well done to DV - a champion effort.

Don't worry girls about the wrestling - I used to box at uni- I'll make sure we don't let the team down!
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

ATM - there is an iphone app that's useful for that.  You tell it your desired pace / cadence and it selects the music from your library that will keep you on pace...automatically it claims.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Do you know id there's an android version, D? I use  Audacity to change the tempo but it is a bit of a faff..

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

random question for the forum: marathon outfits?  Is it a fashion faux pas to wear my Paris finisher top from last year for this year?  What would Hal think?

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

He's fine, PC19. He's home, his ankle is sore but he'll live and he sys it was fun...image the conditions were terrible and he was sliding allover the place.No doubt he'll bring us up to date when he's completely thawed out and fed. I don't know any of these people   http://www.centurionrunning.com/live/2013-tp100/   but I can't help thinking about them. Emmy, are any of your friends doing this?

RS, yellow? *I always get a bit psyched out when I see runners wearing finishers' shirts.Maybe that's the idea.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    RS - Hal would say that it is fine, as long as it matches your shoes image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Yep, ive got 5 friends still running it. There's been a comms breakdown as the site isn't being updated correctly but from what I can hear from FB - most of them are ok. 3 of them are 'old dogs" when it comes to 100 milers so have settled into the pace quite easy and are holding strong. The leader pack are going well. For the newbies - it looks like they're struggling according to the results/feedback but it could just be a bad 10 miles. It's utterly awful conditions and I worry about the volunteers at the checkpoints. It's going to be a long cold night.

I'm going to keep an eye on them tonight.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    RS - I think it's ok - as long as its a race you've run and it's comfortable.
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Its some time since I have posted on this thread. I am busy on 2 other threads and have struggled to find the time to keep them going as well as the running and a very busy period at work.

Good to see that most are doing ok despite this crazy weather.  Anyone got any idea what the weather for the race in Paris is going to be like ?

This week has been a bit of a disaster for me. Having pushed on from a new PB of 1:41 on a hilly HM course and completed my 5th 20 mile LSR (I have only ever done 1 20 miler in my previous 2 marathon attaempts) last Saturday, I was beginning to think that something close to 3:30 was possible. My original aim was for 3:45 having never broke the 4 hour mark before.

Have been knocked sideways with a chest infection of some sort and have been struggling all week to shake it off. Thought yesterday that I had got the better of it but it came back with a vengence today.

So week 1 of my taper has seen no running with me dosing myself with every possible remedy on top of antibiotics that the doctor gave me because I said I was running the marathon but he said I had a virus and that they probably would not help.

Am still planning on getting to Paris but very concerned about the impact of this on my ability to run  a decent race.

Had to pay the doctor £20 to sign the medical certificate. What a rip off,

ATM - thanks for all the updates. Loved the video. My race number is 20737. Do I need to bring anything else to the Expo ?

Just 2 weeks to go. Have to give serious consideration to what running gear to wear on the day. I have never run with music. I do most of my running in London and find that I need to be aware of what is going on around me with traffic, people, pushcharirs, bikes etc and have always thought that music may get in the way. But each to their own.

Hoping to run this coming week sometime. Had originally planned a normal midweek running regime with a 12 mile LSR for today. Then from next week I was going to reduce the mid week runs and pace and drop the LSR back to 8 miles. Now I have no idea what I should do. Am thinking that I should do a normal week of running if I can get out on Tuesday. Any suggestions ?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

Malcs, I was just thinking about you....'not in a creepy way , I swear.I keep forgetting that you're not actually doing Paris. As I remember, you're a few weeks' behind' us, right? So, you might have more LSRs to do? Do you run with music? Have you thought about downloading the mp3' guide' from the Paris site.It 'talks' you through the course...to music...pointing out the sights.You choose your own' time goal' so that the pace is ok..You could always do a LSR the day we're racing and follow us in spirit... image * Well, it's blizzarding outside and I have too much time on my hands...*

Ha - no creepyness assumed image  Yes, that's right I won't be at Paris but I'll be thinking of you all. It's quite nice because with all the talk here I feel like I'm tapering already.

Not a music when running fan but the mp3 guide just might persuade me image  I can't watch London on TV anymore because I just get too jealous. I reckon I'll have similar envy when you're all in Paris so your suggestion could just save me - many thanks!

DV - really bad luck with the injury. I guess if you were going to have to pull out of one then this one, with the conditions so bad, was not a bad one to pick.  

• Options

Carl, sounds like you've trained well mate and you're ready to run Paris. A few days off running with the chest infection is probably doing your muscles a favour and i doubt you'll lose much from the lay off in terms of fitness. The most important thing is you clear that infection up. when you are sure it's gone away between now and the big day, have a few good runs and you'll be fine, don't worry about LSRs. Of course if you think you want to have a long one - i'm also based in London and desperate for someone to run with tomorrow morning (couple of hours duration / a minute per mile shy of target marathon pace - probably similar to yours by the sounds of it) cause it's gonna be so cold'n'orrible! I'm setting off from east finchley around 7am heading to the Thames/Waterloo Bridge by about 7.45 (thats silly o'clock but my kids will have me up at 6 so it makes sense)  - give me a shout back if you want to join in!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Carl, at the Expo you need your Medical Certificate, your passport and your Convocation .

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jings, Emmy.I'd forgotten all about the Volunteers. They must be frozen. Good job, the TP100 volunteers!