Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Will we reopen the Paris Fatties thread?

I prefer the term 'big boned'.  I've become big boned since getting injued in the summer.

It might be an idea...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

The thread is self-editing my nonsense..

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Chicago Race Report Part Two:

From the halfway point you the head east with the skyscrapers of the Loop to your back. From this point on there seems to be water stations at almost every mile. Some official and some set up by the locals. The support around this section is great and the supporters from the USA are very keen to let you know just how awesome you are with great regularity.  I was unaware of my own awesomeness. I was very aware of the pain I was in from my groin injury.  By now the injury was making sure the big eejit was going to pay the price of running a marathon.

A couple of miles later and you turn back towards the loop. Sadly the end isn’t closer than you think and the course turns south shortly later. More running through big city suburbs until mile 20 where you run through the entrance to Chinatown.  At this point I was really struggling and ticking off the miles one by one. This also combined with what is the ugliest section of the course. Once you clear Chinatown you end up running alongside a motorway for a couple of miles. This is where I was defeated. The pain from my injury was causing me real issues. I had a couple of walking sections here to let the pain subside. It also worth pointing out the crowds between miles 22 and 25 are fairly sparse. It’s the only part of the course with little about it other than runners.

Soon I saw the 23 mile marker.  Three miles to go.  That’s just two laps of my village, so the mind games began. I told myself no matter what I was running the rest of the race. I ran (jogged). I groaned, swore, mumbled under my breath but I kept going.  Then suddenly Grant Park is in sight and wait...what the hell...who put a hill there?  In truth it’s not a hill, but at mile 26 with an injury it seemed like Mount Grant Park! I climbed to the summit turned the corner and saw a thing of great beauty. The finish line.  There was no sprint finish. In fact I was so knackered looking at the pictures I didn’t do anything bar turn my watch off as I crossed the line.

The finish area is well run too. You get your medal, a few picture opportunities. There are bananas, oranges, water, Gatorade, pretzels and even a free beer for those that want it.

Great race in a great city. I’d certainly recommend it.  

• Options

Please show the sub-4 t-shirt again ATM. It makes me laugh every time i see it image

Dannirr - I suggest you look at doing a 3 week reverse taper (do your training plan backwards), and then pick up your last plan and re-do the remaining 7 weeks again. However, stick your shiny new marathon time into a VDOT calculator and then take the training paces from there and apply to the whole of your training plan. That should get you ready to meet Goofy.

Had myself a nice weights and core session in the gym at lunchtime. I try to do this regularly. I'm pretty consistent with it. Once every 2 months. image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

HS - I was eating pretty badly all last week while on holiday. I knew it must have been bad as today I woke up and was craving something healthy to eat!

ATM - Do you know you are famous in the States? There is even a t-shirt line with ATM on them.

http://www.aeropostale.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13235142&cp=3534618.3534619.3534624.3542203.3536103.11327005.13116810

Some local tried to tell me it was in fact a University, but it's obviously in honour to your work with the Paris guide.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ4OTQxMzU5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDMyNzM0Nw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Cult figure and, apparently, fashion-icon...

* scouring pc for the sub-4 shirt...*

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/sub_4.jpg

image Not that the Scots can hold a grudge...BUT...

TD once promised to bring some Belgian chocolates to the Sunday-evening pub-post-mortem/bash... A no show!  *We held him to it and, eventually, the chocs were produced..*

As a tribute to his training plans,the famous T-shirt was made...and is still availableimage Roll up! Roll up! Green pen  etc...

• Options
    Just catching up on all the weekend's news.

Well done OO - I'll join you on the naughty step. I managed a very impressive hangover yesterday.. Any carbs in lager?

Some fantastic running folks - well done y'all. You have raised the bar all of us running in Amsterdam.

Great report Eggy. Sounds like you had to dig deep.
  • Options

Yes Simon, there are only carbs in lager. It's a health food image.

Awesome race report Eggy . Most inspirational, although I hope I don't need to, er, dig deep with my groin. Sub 4 ATM - way to go!

Did anyone else watch Felix Baumgartner yesterday? 39k in 14 minutes...

...vertically image. Don't be getting any ideas about jumping out of that balloon Dannirr...

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

formatting issue RR?

Eggy well done again and a great read.

• Options

Just registered with ASO ahead of Wednesday.

Two of the questions were "Do you run with electrical stimulation?" And "Do you use technical underwear?"

Prize from me for the best joke, possibly some technical underwear with in-built electrical stimulation, to be handed over on the evening of April 7, 2013.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RR - No jumping from that ballon for me!  I do have some great pictures from the event though - the chief meteorologist for Felix is a good friend and does our weather forcasting on our long distance flights. I have raced balloons against Joe Kitinger (they guy whose record Felix broke) - he is an incredible guy even at his current age.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Just registered with ASO ahead of Wednesday.

Two of the questions were "Do you run with electrical stimulation?" And "Do you use technical underwear?"

Prize from me for the best joke, possibly some technical underwear with in-built electrical stimulation, to be handed over on the evening of April 7, 2013.

This is their new wording for last year's official instruction to remember "bandages for your tits"

• Options

Weedy - I've just done the same and thought exactly the same thing. Never registered for a race and been asked about my underwear before image. Sadly there wasn't an option for 'mind your own business'.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

+1 for technical underwear * c.M&S*

• Options

Followed you all and registered?image

Just done a silly run with a friend tonight. 7.3 hilly miles. All felt good,  although I wondered several times why the conversation was so  one-sided?She told me at the end that the pace was equal to her 10k effort!image

I think I had  better have a couple of rest days now!!

• Options

I just selected 'thong'.

Anyone ever been to Oslo?  If Amsterdam goes well I fancy going to the Bislett games in June next year image

• Options

ok..  excuse me being thick...  what page are you going to for this 'pre-registration'..?

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

Weedy - I've just done the same and thought exactly the same thing. Never registered for a race and been asked about my underwear before image. Sadly there wasn't an option for 'mind your own business'.

The only time I usually get asked questions involving my underwear, it's normally along the lines of "where's that weird smell coming from?"

• Options

DV - go to asochallenges dot com

Tho I don't know whether you have to be registered or not in order to get a marathon place - I didn't receive the email that was mentioned a couple of pages ago so I'm not sure. I'm just following the herd, a bit like a panicked sheep.

I know the Paris website said the entries were being delayed because they were introducing a new registration system.

• Options

yes..  I've been to the aso site...  but I haven't had any questions about anything and certainly not underwear...   can you just post a link or be more precise about what/where..?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Weedy,how could they refuse those 'so blithe to go to' them? * Random  quotation quiz...*

Panicked sheep R Us...You'll get in. And you get buried in unsolicited advice...

• Options

ok.. I'm on a red web site asking for name/address etc.   Under Nationality..  there isn't an option for British or UK etc...  image

But it's in French for Royaume-Uni...!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV, tell us about your underwear....

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    DV go to the Paris site, hit register and it'll tell you that you have to register with the ASO site....there is a link there too. I think we register for the mara via this site too. And you can tell them all about your electrical underwear fetish at the same time.

DLR I have been to Oslo several times. Fantastic city. Your northern heart won't cope with the prices though....we paid ??70 for a main course and one small glass if wine each a few years ago....mind you I let go of Mr Maj's arm for 2 seconds and a hooker tried to make off with him so it's not all bad....
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    DV this "red website"....it's not one of your Special ones is it?

I told them I was French. It seemed for the best...
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Re yer-maj..

Non-Copenhagen exchange..*Very loosely translated from the French *..A/B=Protagonists, 57+

A. Are you looking for business?

B. No. I’m looking for the Czech Cultural Institute. This evening’s Piano Recital...

A.Ah. Pity. I think it’s there..

B. Thank you.

A. My pleasure...

image It was the best offer I got...

• Options
     Dark Vader wrote (see)

I haven't had any questions about anything and certainly not underwear...   can you just post a link or be more precise about what/where..?

Oh okay then, Always boxers. Usually black, or very dark blue. Clean pair on each day. They're not very technical though, and they don't have any electrical stimulation. Maybe we'll get some in the race goodie bag.