Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Managed to register ok, though a little disturbed by the lack of secure web page when handing over personal details (thinking dob etc here rather than electrical thong prefernces).

TD - " The culture has obviously risen in Swindon since i left."...not sure it has...just didn't want to get caught on CCTV in nationwide car park having a wee! Luckily they do provide quite well on the portaloo front.

Shite medal. Identical to the 2010 medal, just different coloured neck thing. Unimaginitive cheapskates!

The route, in a nutshell, starting at nationwide HQ on pipers way, down Marlborough rd past coatewater then onto day house lane which goes up to badbury, then to the edge of king Edwards place, down to ham rd (links upper wanborough and liddington), through liddington, back down day house lane, past coatewater then back up Marlborough rd to the start. Some nice hills in there, not really killers but long drags. Perfect conditions, course record broken by 2 minutes or so.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

A brief Toronto report:

The expo was very good. Check in was very quick, and then a nice selection of stuff to tempt the wallet. A couple of free technical shirts from vendors after just chatting with them, some interesting talks, some nice free candy!

Race morning was pouring with rain. Suitably draped in plastic, I huddled with the masses in my starting corral looking for the pace team which I never found or saw. My feet were completely soaked as Vibrams provide no weather protection at all. With about 5 minutes to go to the start, the rain stopped. Completely. And never returned. About 60 degrees, very humid. National anthem and we were off.

Course is flat, flat. At first I thought I'd like that, but I thing rolling hills is better. Flat provides no variation in muscle use or foot strike or running posture, and no rest. Anyway, the first few miles was very crowded but I managed to get into my pace within a mile or so. After a tour of some city neighbourhoods, the route makes its way to the waterfront for an out and back of about 5 miles - during which you never see the water. In fact, you never see the water ever (even though it's called the Waterfront Marathon). At 12 miles the half marathoners peel off and you now really have room to yourself. All this way I was feeling good - not easy as I was pushing the pace a little, but good. At this point the course goes away from the city into an industrial, ugly area but at about 18 miles you once again are in a very nice neighbourhood. By now my pace had dropped some,  but still ok for my target. My left foot was hurting a lot and I shortened my stride a little which seemed to help.  Then the last 6 miles are back to the city. Nutrition wise I used gels mostly, but did use a peanut butter/fruit/caffeine concoction I had bought that seemed pretty good (aside from gluing my already dry tongue to the roof of my mouth, distracting me from my foot pain for at least a mile)

Water stops about every 2-3 km's and very good crows support - almost throughout. Best sign I saw: "The pain is temporary, internet results last forever". The finish was well conducted, and lots of food (no beer) available. 

Although the last thing I felt like doing was eating, my brother insisted on lunch and took me to an Indian buffet. I love Indan food, but this wasn't the right time for it. But I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I ate. 

Definately a good course and a worthwhile marathon to add to the list.

• Options

Nice report Dannirr.image

I have been up for hours......can't sleep at all! Last work shift today until 29th and I am like a bairn waiting for santa?!?!image

Since I still have no washing machine I am now off to my BFs house armed with baskets of bedding and washing powder plus the go faster  new hair colour( why mess up my own bathroom when I can use his!!!image)

• Options

Kaz - My TAAAAAAPPPPPIIIRRRRRRR has gone bonkers!  The freaky little shite is boncing off the walls.  You're going to turn up at your BFs at 5.30 am?!?! to do laundry and dye your hair...hmm...nice one.

Eggy and Dannirr - great race reports.  Seanb - it's swindon sorry, can't get enthused.  I'm sure there's CCTV on the champs ellyesse. image

I'm all registered and ready to go.  Technically...are you wearing underwear?  That's a proper question.  One for the ladies: was a bit disappointed they didn't ask me where I am in my cycle and the colour of my hair. bah da da BOOM!

• Options
    Minus 3. Brrrrrr

Great report Dannirr.

RS - where are you in your cycle? Too cold and dark here for the bike....
  • Options

RS - He was at my house!!!image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I've registered as well... tomorrow is the day! image

Kaz1 -That's crazy!

Dannirr - Great report.

RS - Where did you see the question about underwear? :/

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

A. Are you looking for business?

B. No. I’m looking for the Czech Cultural Institute. This evening’s Piano Recital...

*sprays coffee at the computer screen*   that is sooo funny...!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Is anyone interested in staying in the same hotel (note I say hotel not room...image). I'm going to book my Paris hotel and wanted to check if anyone wanted to stay near each other to walk together to the start etc.

@ATM - were you planning to provide a list of hotels?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Today might be the day to book hotels....Tout le Monde will be at it soon....
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

That's what I was thinking. Strike before the masses do it.

• Options

Wow, this talk of paris registering, had me on the web site, then saw date, 7 april, was sorely tempted then remembered that Master PF is doing the Mud Run at Leamington Spa on the 6th april and I'm supporting him - being a good mummy!!!!  So Mont St Michel it isimage.

At the moment am now totally painfree, which is great, but the thought of running 3 miles is daunting, let alone 26.2, I can't quite recall ever doing 26.2 miles ... oh silly me I haven't ever done 26.2 miles without anything falling off, so perhaps starting from scratch isn;t a bad thingimage.

Oh TD oh TD where for art thou TD (is it working!?!?!)  any offers on a four day a week training plan, runing Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun - will swim 2 of the other days and then just dog walk.  Any offers of devisng a plan would be lovely, have looked at all others and they all scare me to death!!!! 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@PF - That's a shame... i'll have to see you at Mont Sint Michel! Have you looked at the Shades Marathon plan on RW? She has her own thread and can send you the plans for 3-4 days a week. I use them for all of my marathons.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

imageGreetings All - frustrating lack of wi-fi followed by  costly access (£7 per hour ???) so I've just caught up - phew.

Yer Maj - you rock!!

Dannir - cracking time mate. I've seen the experiment performed live at the Equator and I was convinced, until I saw a few articles. Another BBC programme covered it too.

I'm registered on ASO (which is why I paid 7 quid for access - another 7 tommorrow too) but I was nearly thrown trying to find my nationality. God bless Eurovision image

Hopefully I'll pop in soon with my race number for the List Fairy image

Take care out there.

• Options

Meh, my accomodation for next april was booked and paid for 6 months ago image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Did anybody actually find British or UKish when registering?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Orbutt - I had my french colleague go through the list to find the right one! For some reason I could only remember "allemagne" and "etais uni"... nationalities that I am not...

• Options

Greetings and felicitations, ye goode people of yonder Paris threade. ** Lute music in background for no obvious reason **

Really good race reports Eggy (my cross-post) and Dannirr. You know that www.marathonguides.com will always benefit from good race reviews? It has the best international race calendar on the web that I have found...

Seanb - sounds like a few good hills thrown into the Swindon Half. I used to work up past Wanborough at King Edward's Place - it was a heck of a bike ride up from Upper Stratton where I lived at the time. I had calf muscles like rocks... but I was a mere 22/23 y.o. back then.

[Just seen my first house on Google Streetview. There's a satellite dish up now. I restored the carving into the house name and date as one of the first jobs I did on the place. AD.1870]

PF - yes, I could help with a running plan, as long as you don't need anything quickly. So it's a yes in theory, as long as the practice can wait a bit image

Wish I was coming to Amsterdam this weekend. image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Did anybody actually find British or UKish when registering?

its in French...   look for Royaume Uni

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I might just stay French and don my beret image
  • Options

Just checked the Paris website again. Can't find any reference to 11am opening for registrations. I definitely saw it somewhere earlier. Have they now decided to open it at midnight maybe and deleted the 11am bit?

Emmy - the underwear question's on the profile section, under the foot race tab. The electrical question's under the equipments tab.

Re hotels, last year I stayed at the Hotel du Bois, on Avenue Victor Hugo, which leads to the Arc de Triomphe. V pricey (210 euros a night) but it's bang in between the start and finish, less than 750 metres from both. Room was small, but spotless, and had a kettle, telly, fridge and a lovely view of the wall of the building over the road. Another downside was you have to hand your key in at reception every time you go out of the hotel. Don't know what the breakfasts were like (15 euros extra) as I took porridge pots and used the kettle.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Emmy_H, I've sent you some accommodation suggestions and comments from past years.

I'd rather not post them all on the thread. If anyone else wants them, message me your email address and I'll send you some nuclear waste.

I mean, stuff about hotels..

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

And I meant to say...Don't stress too much  about a hotel right at the Start/Finish. As long as you're on a direct line...Metros 1,2 6..and RER A..it's dead easy to get there and the crowds are quite fun. Hotels further out are cheaper. But they're all expensive image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Great - thanks ATM! image

@Weedy - I didnt go into the profile section.... *wanders off back to the website*.

Less than 24 hours to go until registration opens!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Dear All, note tomorrrow is the day..I am excited for all those who are about to sign-up -Paris Marathon is extremely special.

My husband has said he'll run Berlin with me (opens 25th Oct for entry)..so flights and hotel booked before he changes his mind.

I'll take periodical looks to see how you are all getting on and hope to see a few familar faces on the Berlin forum..and may be back with you Paris 2014!!  

• Options

Hotel Astrid is where the action is at.

Well, unless the action is after 10pm the day before the marathon in which case the staff will politely but firmly ask you to keep quiet.  How I loved them for that image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@DLR - I tried booking there but they refused to book me for just one night image So i'm staying at the Pullman near Eiffel Tower. It's on the metro line 6 so should be easy.

• Options
    Gagh I don't know what to do. I would like to run another marathon next year (would take my total to 5) but has promised myself I would be at the top of my game for the next one with proper base training and fully strengthened. So I'd been honking next autumn but now I'm all tempted!
  • Options
    I would just like to say now that I will NOT be honking next autumn, I shall shower every day like normal!! Blasted iPhone typos.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image You could be dead by next autumn, HS!  * Methinks, I'm no loss as a counsellor..*