Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Hi all- I'm doing the GNR for the first time this year and still haven't booked anywhere to stay the night before. I'm assuming that all the obvious places are full by now, so does anyone have recommendations for places to stay? B&B preferable but anywhere accessible will do! Cheers.

• Options

Fiona/Shielsy - weather was really good for running yesterday, and the scenery made it pleasant. The scenery did make it for me. The traffic was horrible in places, and I felt that whilst cars were trying to give respect to the runners (there were a LOT of signs up warning drivers of the runners and advising of a 20mph speed limit), I did feel a lot of drivers were getting impatient and some did seem to be driving closer to runners than they would have if the person had been on a bike. I wouldn't do it again for that reason.  The first 9 miles are traffic free and they were very pleasant indeed. It was only after 15 or 16 miles that the traffic became noticable.

Bearsted - they had even run out of coffee as a mocha is often my choice if I have forgotten my drink (it happens a lot). I asked if I was too late to get a coffee at the coffee stand and they said "Yes, by about an hour and a half. We ran out."

What is the world coming to when you run out of coffee????? image

Rachael - are you driving or coming up by train? I am staying at Premier Inn Washington (just off J64 of the A1M) and they often have a few rooms going, but it's not cheap.

• Options

Rachael, you will do well to get a room in Newcastle at this stage, you may need to stay near Durham which is 20mins away. On the morning of the GNR you can park at a metro station near the airport and travel to the start on the metro.

• Options

Rachael if you stay out Durham side you would just be as easy to drive to Heworth Metro (Big Car Park) and get Metro in from there as would be easy to get back there afterwards from finish at South Shields

• Options
    Vixx76 wrote (see)

The traffic was horrible in places, and I felt that whilst cars were trying to give respect to the runners (there were a LOT of signs up warning drivers of the runners and advising of a 20mph speed limit), I did feel a lot of drivers were getting impatient and some did seem to be driving closer to runners than they would have if the person had been on a bike. I wouldn't do it again for that reason.  The first 9 miles are traffic free and they were very pleasant indeed. It was only after 15 or 16 miles that the traffic became noticable.

That would have been horrible - worrying about traffic in the later stages of a marathon, when you're physically and mentally shattered, and the slightest little thing can potentially wind you up something rotten (but maybe that's just me image)

• Options

Though I guess worrying about being hit by a car could take your mind off the pain of running?

• Options

There was one chap walking on the pavement just after 21 miles and he was bent over to the left, but still walking (if you can imagine that). I asked him if he was alright and there was no-one home, eyes glazed, so I mentioned it to the marshalls. I think they stopped him to make sure he was OK, but I don't see how he would have got to the end the way he was going.

Shielsy - it is a good point you make. At times I was running faster just to try and find a spot to get out of the way of them.

• Options

Vixx- well done!  I'll stick to the flat marathons I thinka nd keep the Lake District for walking/ climbing image.  Are you tempted to do the 10in10 now, or has the traffic put you off?

Shielsy wrote (see)

Horrible 'mizzly' conditions up here today.  It's made my straight hair go all fluffy image.

I think we need a photo of the perm, Shielsy image.

• Options

OS - nooooooo. No chance.*

*should I change my mind in future you can remind me of this moment.

• Options

They ran out of coffee? Christ, I'd think I'd cry. 

• Options

Well done vixx !! 

• Options

Thank you mr sj image

• Options

Morning everyone - sat in Costa (not my favourite but only coffee shop near) waiting for my car to be serviced. Using time to catch up on posts and do some work!! Speed work for me tonight and rest of week in prep for BUPA London 10K next Monday. Avter that 4 weeks with little if no running just lonwholly walks with OH - then back to it on July for Yorkshire Marathon in October

• Options

Could anyone shed some light on a question I have:

I've been trawling ebay trying to find a Sunderland top *shudder* for the Blaydon Race.  All the adult sizes seem to be absolutely massive, but I'm not sure (not having football-strip wearing children) how the children's sizes translate.

I emailed one seller who was advertising a 'Large Boys' shirt what the chest size was and they've just replied saying they don't know as the tag just says 'Large Boys' (I thought they might have just measured the chest from armpit to armpit so I would have something to work from, but seemingly this didn't occur to them image)

So, does anyone know how big (or small) a Large Boys football shirt is?  I normally wear an 8-10 t-shirt.

Sadly I haven't been able to procure an unwanted Sunderland top from friends and family as I try not to mix with 'those people' image.  My friend's son is a fan, but he's only 8 and I think even I would struggle trying to fit into his shirt!

• Options

Large Boys would be about a 36" chest. I only know this as my first footy jersey was a Liverpool top and it was 36" and marked L Boys.

Now I have them much bigger.... image

• Options

Sorry shielsey my son s only 8  so his shirts wouldnt help with size advice !

however, my daughter has a few things from more mile in boys sizes and she wears medium boys (shes 10) and she has a friend whos 11 at wears large boys more mile but i still wouldnt have thougght they were much above a size 6-8.

• Options

That reminds me, I still need to find a Sunderland shirt. Might have to starch it to hide things that still need hiding.....

• Options

Who is actually doing Blaydon (in a Sunderland vest, or not) ?

Hopefully it will be a bit drier than last year, when it bucketed it down from start to finish.

• Options

Shielsy - I have just purchased 2 from the SAFC website which were half price and then BOGOF so if you and Vixx clubbed together they would be £10 each.  I bought a man's small which fits me (10-12) but isn't huge so you could probably get away with that.  As you may gather we are planning on wearing then at Blaydon.

• Options

Wanna do it then Shielsy?

• Options

I am intending to do it in Mick's colours. I believe I have  the offer of one on loan for the occasion.

• Options

I'm going to need a XXL :S

• Options

Sorry - I've been really busy this afternoon, then went straight out for a run from work, then had my tea, then my best friend rang and I haven't spoken to her for a week

She (my best friend) is going to stay with family this weekend who are Sunderland fans (no, I don't understand it either *shrugs*) and she reckons she can get me a top from a cousin.  I should know by Friday night.

6.6 miles tonight, and tried to get quicker with each mile (does that have a special name?)  It wasn't windy, so I really enjoyed it.  Averaged 8.25 m/miles.  

No wind image

• Options

Yay! image Nice one Shielsy image

• Options

Vixx - they are good photos of you. You look like you are enjoying yourself. Yes, the clothes could fit a bit better. image

• Options

They will do one day! Thanks Fiona image How are you?

• Options

Mr sj in good form + perfect night for racing + 3 year old 10k pb = smashed pb !

42:13, 31 seconds taken fom my pb, fanbloodytastic image

• Options

Nice one mr sj!  Glad we're on the same team at TR24!  I'm hoping to have a bash at my PB at the BUPA 10k next Monday, but it depends on how busy the course is...and the weather... and any other excuse I can come with image