Options

Base Training

Comments

• Options
    well, last i heard he was very occipied with running his smallholding
  • Options

woohoo finally found the right thread

Shades pointed me in the general direction of there is a thread somewhere from here marathon trainig thread.

Probably going to start on this Late October at the earliest and i've already be warnede i'm liable to be barely above a walk at first.

• Options

Keith, I've been doing base training for about 3 months now and it has worked really well for me. I have been using the formula 180 minus my age which is 29 to work out my max heart rate. Which is 151 bpm max.

The improvements have been good. My average pace per mile has went from 9.48/mile to 8.26/mile at the same average heart rate. This is as well as increasing my weekly mileage from 20 miles to 40 miles. So it does work but you do have to be patient in the early stages, especially on your longer runs. I was doing 10.43/mile on one long run. It takes about 5 to 6 weeks to see any noticable changes but it does work. My 10k time went from 51.00 in June to 47.00 a couple of weeks ago and this was with no special training just lots running at the same steady pace.I dont think any other training would have shown this much improvement so soon.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Ian. 

• Options

Hi Ian

Normal long run pace for me should be 10:30 to 11:30 per mile care of Shades marathon training plan. I'm not starting on any BT until i've completed my marathon on Oct 21st.

I do have a couple of 10 mile races in the month after that were i will be aiming to drop my PB down to the correct level. My PB times will be in the next post as its refusing to let me cut and paste again.

I suspect i might be down as slow as 12-13 min miles too start with which cold well be fun trying to keep low enough. I have a Garmin which i can set to HR alerts which will do and i should of used its pace alerts when i started my marathon training as at first i struggled to go slow enough.

Thinking of entering the Tring to Town race this Feb as my first Ultra

• Options

hmm been checking fetch for equivalent race times and i spotted some soft PB's

5k   Current not got one  predicted  26:49

10k current 55:55   predicted 55:55

10 mile current 1:42:45   predicted 1:32:39

half mara current 2:05:48    predicted 2:03:22

full mara  current 6:11:25   predicted 4:17:12

as you can see both my 10 mile and full marathon PB's are well off what they could be but i've never ran a fully fit 10 miler yet (2 sore calves, a cold and a 3 month break from running for the 4 i have done) and my marathon is my only one in london this year where i had a collision with a pedestrian (i stayed on my feet i might add image ) and hobbled on till mile 7 then walked the rest of the way

• Options

Keith your perdictions seem fairly accurate apart from the 10 miler but this will improve with the base training. I wouldnt set your Garmin up for certain pace per mile otherwise you will be more concerned with your pace rather than keeping in the aerobic training zone. So I would just concentrate on keeping below your max heart rate once you have worked it out.

This article is very useful. http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/slowdown.html

It is what I have based my training on over the past 3 months. I have still done 3 races during this period and have still got improvements. I am about to do the GNR on the back of this training as well.

BTW, have you got the link for the fetch race predictor please?

Ian.  

• Options

Erm it gives me predicted times off of my training log where i stick distance and time in. I think there is a page for calculating specific times somewhere.

I'd be annoyed if i dont get the ten mile time down to 1:35 roughly in my two races in November, certainly want to be under 1:40.

Just finished Langdale Half and there was a lot of hills. Bliddy Garmin died inisde the first 5k too so i had no idea of pace nor do i have a clue how much climbing there was. I know there was a lot though as there were at least 2 1 in 4 hills climbed and a 1 in 3 too.

• Options
    Just popped in to say hi, hoping to start a winter of base training starting Monday, both running and cycling (mainly turbo) using the HRM to keep in the correct zone. Will let you know how it goes
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Blackbird - enjoy BT
  • Options

Good luck Blackbird, hope you get some good results. I was very pleased with the results I got.

Let me know how you get on.

Ian. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    *waves to hippo/Shades*
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Pammie... a little BT reunionimage
  • Options

Well, I have read some (nowhere near all) of this thread with interest.  I bombed in my last 10k having done reasonably well in two 5mile races earlier in the summer.  I came to the conclusion that I was burned out and, after a lot of reading, decided to try base training to build a better 'reserve' before I think about any faster work.  Before my 10k I was running most of my  training at close to race pace - which obviously didn't work.  So, I have ascertained my max HR, RHR and set my garmin for 'easy' (65-75% WHR).  To begin with, I am running 4 x 40mins a week - I've never run more than 4 times a week and my longest run has been 70mins (Oct 2008!).  I'm hoping that this will give me some improvement - although I appreciate that it's not going to be overnight.

If anyone has any comments, I'd be pleased to read them.

Thanks, Impish

• Options

Is this thread still going?

Well I've read through it...and it makes sense - same way I condition/fitten my horse so I'm game to give it a go!!  I'm a new runner who's regime has to be go on out the door and run till I'm knackered, have a rest and continue.  This has improved my (non-exsistant) fitness greatly but I'm keen to improve now.

3 miles today - 15 minute miles though - the SHAME!!  but I didn't stop at all and no stitch (which has plagued me for the last 3 weeks.)  My calves hurt for the first 1.5 miles but then I settled and felt like I could have carried on.  Humble beginnings - but am ready for this challenge and looking forward to seeing an improvement over the next few months.

Not looking forward to my usual route which is extremely hilly.  Normally I push on up the hills and rest at the top till I recover will be a challenge to keep heartrate low enough and to continue.

• Options
    Hi Suzy - if it isn't, perhaps we can reinvigorate it - keep encouraging each other anyway.  I too am struggling to run slow enough to keep my heart rate in 'the zone' - especially up hills.  However, I am finding it much easier to run one day and then go out a couple of days later, so upping the total distance I am covering.  It's early days for me - just coming up to 2 weeks, but I'm hoping to lengthen my weekend run this Sunday and to see some improvement in pace by the end of the month.  Well, got to stay positive and it can't do any harm image
  • Options
    Good to see this thread resurrected, been a long time since people wanted to talk about this.  Welcome Suzy and Imp to the joys of running at lower heart rates.
  • Options
    This was a truly epic thread.
  • Options
    I'm up for keeping the thread alive!!  I'm still plodding away - I live in a very hilly area and I had a though (just one!!)  How about getting a lift up a hill then running down...there are several inclines round me which are reasonably gentle and last for a good few miles, my thinking is, this would allow me to run without (hopefully) going above my "zone."  Not everyday just once a week or so, give me a chance for a longer run?  Or is this not a good idea?  Bad for the joints/legs?
  • Options

hi, i've started doing this for 3 months before i start marathon training in jan, i have a garmin with hrm, and have been running at 70% hr based from this which is around 130. i reckon this is about right as 220 - age would give me a max of 186, and at the end of a half marathon a couple of weeks ago ( i mile sprint to finish!!) the garmin measured 96% as 180.

does this sound about right or should i be more like 145 for easy/steady runs?  at the moment it is really slow, about 12 min miles!! but i generally run comfortably training at 9.30-10 min miles

and how many miles / hours a week do you think is best to see a good improvement? i am currently doing 30-35 but by november when i have more time, hope to increase this to 40-45

thanks for any advice!!

• Options

deedee24 - you've calculated your 70% different to me.  I worked out my max HR, took off my resting HR (average of 5 readings taken first thing in the morning), took 70% of the difference and then added that back to the resting heart rate to get 70% of 'working heart rate' as my target.  If your RHR is 60bpm, max at 186, your 70% WHR would be 148.  Mine is 145.  I find I'm running at 10.5 mins per mile which is a lot slower than what I would naturally run at - but if I run at 9.30 min miles I can't go anywhere near as far as I can on this plan.  I am currently managing 3 or 4 runs a week and going about 4 miles each time.  However, this is only my third week, so no great improvement yet, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Btw - my calcs were taken from a heart rate training article that I found on this site - so you may find that useful to read.  I haven't sussed how to do links, but it's in the HR training index.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Impish

• Options

i think you're right...it should be 70% of working heart rate not 70% of max. thats good, it did seem overly slow at 130!!

i think tonight i'll aim for 145.

• Options
    Good luck - I'm off out now
  • Options
    I'm definitely a proponent of daily running... frequency being one of the most forgiving factors of progression...

Not 100% convinced on the HR side of things though.
  • Options

No me neither Squall , i remember reading about the Comrades Marathon in South Africe 1 year , When the winner switched off his Hr monitor after half way , he won by several mins whearas his competittors ran to the Pre set HR paremeters set on their Monitors ie a buzzer sounding when going .above the pre determined reading.

Thus u know when youre fit or not by exertion and pace per mile getting quicker for the same level of exertion. 

• Options
    I think training with an HRM is different to racing with an HRM (although this is recommended in some circles).  I certainly believe that I 'burned out' because I couldn't run a steady enough pace on my longer runs - so I never managed to run as far as I was supposed to.  With the help of the HRM, I am starting to be able to do that.  Whether this feeds through into being able to run those paces at lower HRs, I have yet to find out, but, as I'm enjoying my running rather than feeling that I'm always 'failing', I'm prepared to stick with it for a few months to find out.  After all, it took me best part of a year to realise that what I was doing, wasn't going to give me the results it 'should'.
  • Options

Hello nice to see this thread is still going I have started 70% traning two days ago plan to stick the 12 wks and hope to be a lot fitter for VLM training . My pace before was 9.15mm Im now 11.00mm yesterday I did 10m in 1.55 15mins slower than last week  but I never even felt out of breath I seemed to have lost a few pounds also which is great just hope I can stick to it .

• Options
    Hello Kazzy - good luck with your training.  I've been running like this for a few weeks now and have only noticed a slight improvement, but feel much fitter and am able to run further without feeling like I'm going to collapse.  I have entered a 15mile race in a fortnight, so hopefully I'll get round that and still be able to walk afterwards!  I am thinking that I will try to run more frequently - I'm only getting out 3 or 4 times a week at the moment.  I just have to wlrk out where to fit it in.......
  • Options

I'm not sure if this thread has died of old age but i'll post on here anyway.  I'm kinda new to this running lark and happened to stumble on this thread some time last month. Been lurking ever since, and i'm currently on post 8500 (i decided i was gonna read the whole thread no matter what.)  Anyway, I hope some of those new to this base building will help revive this thread.  I've found it really helpful (this thread that is, too early to tell if my running is gonna improve) and am gonna give it a twirl.  It was this thread that got me to register, and got me to write my first ever post.

I got my hrm last week and went out and did a max hr test 196, although i think i might have seen it go up some more if i hadn't wussed out when i did.  I'm currently running at 147 but really struggling to keep the hr down, i think i might let it creep up to 155 for the next few runs and see if that helps. After which it might be easier to bring it down.  I currently run 3 days followed by 1 day off and have generally been running between an hour and 90 mins each time.

Kazzy, Impish, any progress reports? Or anyone else for that matter.