Options

wearing headphones/earphones

Comments

• Options

Chester website actually says this - confusing

Qu,  Can I wear an iPod or music player?

Ans,  Wearing a music player isn't currently against UK Athletics rules. However, it is not recommended. For your own safety you need to be aware of what is around you, and to be able to take instructions from marshals.

• Options
    skotty wrote (see)

All UKA licensed events ban the use of headphones.

Is that true?  I couldn't find such a rule in the UKA Rules for Competition.  I searched for music, headphones and earphones.

• Options

Wilkie/ Skotty I don't believe this is true, but get ready for the argument all over again in another month 

• Options

Wilkie wrote (see)

Is that true?  I couldn't find such a rule in the UKA Rules for Competition.  I searched for music, headphones and earphones.

my extensive knowledge of the subject consists of previous posts on these forums. i am sure this has been repeated many times on here. so many i took it to be true. i am not really interested enough to check it out.

i just go by what the individual events say in their rules and the majority do seem to have banned them whether due to UKA rules or not.

• Options

Not sure about that Skotty. A lot of races use phrases like "not recommended" or "not welcome", hardly resounding endorsements but still a far way from banning them and leaving enough wiggle room for wearers to assume they'll be able to wear headphones if they really want to.

• Options
    Who has the ultimate say; UKA or the event organisers at their own event ? I've just entered Clowne half and it says no music devices/ earphones. Simple, I won't wear any because that's the rules for that event
  • Options
    By the way, I'm not deaf or a moron or a deaf moron
  • Options

I think the races which have banned them have chosen to, rather than it being a UKA rule.

As long as an event with a UKA licence complies with UKA rules, they can add any others they want to, I guess.

• Options

I do park runs with a good mate of mine who wears headphones. It's pretty annoying- we run together for the whole 20 minutes (OK, 27. And a half.), and don't say a word to each other because he's listening to "motivating" music. 

• Options

i knew i read it somewhere:

AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Just thought I'd chip in as an event orgainser (RunLiverpool Marathon) as we have had a number of phone calls this morning contesting the ruling.

If the event is governed by UKA License (ours is) then the rules are quite clear. You are not allowed to wear listening devices. This is on the basis of safety. The ruling isn't for debate. However, if anyone should choose to wear headphones then it is virtually impossible to implement disqualification in an event of several thousand participants.

If the instruction and ruling is clear and subsequently ignored then don't complain if your are subsequently disqualified. The rule is there for the safety of all concerned.

I find it difficult to understand why there is so much debate about this when the rules are quite clear. As Skotty said, people pick and choose which rules to abide by or ignore. 

• Options

It doesn't appear to be in the UKA rules of competition, though, so I wonder where it is "quite clear"?

SwissJames wrote (see)

I do park runs with a good mate of mine who wears headphones. It's pretty annoying- we run together for the whole 20 minutes (OK, 27. And a half.), and don't say a word to each other because he's listening to "motivating" music. 

It's not just your run, it's his run too.  Have you said that you find it annoying?  

• Options

Has anybody ever actually taken the time to read the UKA rules and the one that alleges that headphones are not permitted? It falls to an interpretation by race organisers of rule 21 which states:

The following shall be interpreted as assistance:

(c) The use of any technical device. Athletes receiving assistance as defined above are liable to be disqualified.

Is a garmin or other GPS not a technical device that is far more likely to provide assistance than a set of headphones through which music or whatever is piped? Get real - race organisers there is NO SUCH RULE banning the use of headphones and anyone who wants to use them should be allowed to - be it in a race or training. As for expecting someone using them to move out of your way just because you happen to be finishing faster than them forget it - the responsibility is yours to find a safe passge through the crowds. If anyone doubts this read the rules here: http://www.uka.org.uk/competitions/rules/

• Options
    oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

I think UKA were asked to consider a ban a few years back, but decided against it as it would be difficult to enforce. However Race Directors are able to have their own rules in addition to UKA's. It quite possible that some RDs may well simply be anti-MP3, but I'd guess that most bans by RDs are imposed due to the requirements of risk assessments for Councils, Police, Highways Agency, private landowners etc etc.

I can't imagine that the average Race Director is lookingfor ways to make his day more difficult than it need be.

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

It doesn't appear to be in the UKA rules of competition, though, so I wonder where it is "quite clear"?

SwissJames wrote (see)

It's not just your run, it's his run too.  Have you said that you find it annoying?  

I've said to him:

"Oh, so we're just not going to talk then?" 

But he claims the music helps, and that he can't get his breath enough to talk anyway. 

• Options

Word from UK Athletics is this - I emailed them about it a few months ago.

• The position on runners using headsets in races hasn't changed.  It's not covered in UKA rules for competition but race directors are advised to consider the issue in their risk assessment and if deemed necessary then they should ban use.  The usual reasons for not allowing would include running on roads open to traffic or on a multi-lap course.
  • Options

I wonder where the "its a UKA rule" has come from? I thought that was the case and that it was the race organizers who didn't enforce it. I'm sure I've seen race websites saying its a UKA rule.

• Options

Saying "It's a UKA rule" is certainly a good way to end debate- up there with "for insurance reasons".

• Options

Saying and using the excuse "It's a UKA rule" when it quite clearly is not is out and out lying and I have now taken to the policy that if I see a race that states this and I want to run the race I will challenge them to show me the rule - they have never yet been able to - other than quote what I did above - in which case if I want to run while listening to music, I do, and they can't do anything about it

• Options

thereby earning yourself the d!ck of the day award.

• Options

Well I'm glad that's been settled then

• Options

Does this topic always cause so much argument?

• Options

It was in the UKA rules a few years ago which is probably where it comes from.  But I suspect public liability insurance and risk assessment means that it has to be enforced anyway as Intermaut says.

I think it still is in US, there was a case a few years ago when the first lady was disqualified over there and the second lady was disqualified because she had taken a drink not from an official drink station.

I don't think they should be allowed personaly.

and yes this topic always ends up in a big argument image

• Options

Keith, the statement from the UKA that Intermaut posted says it should be "considered" as part of the risk assesment. Not that it has to be enforced.

• Options

bionic-hip? wrote (see)

As for expecting someone using them to move out of your way just because you happen to be finishing faster than them forget it - the responsibility is yours to find a safe passge through the crowds. If anyone doubts this read the rules here: http://www.uka.org.uk/competitions/rules/

I think you'll find if you refer to the OP's original post that he was following a safe passage through the crowds by going for a clear line and wasn't expecting anyone to move out of his way. He just didn't expect some unaware idiot to almost trip him up by moving directly and unexpectedly into his path as he passed. The point he was making is that the incident wouldn't have happened if the runner he was passing had kept to the race rules. If you're going to wear headphones so you can't hear people approaching from behind, you should at least have the decency to check behind you before suddenly changing course.

bionic-hip? wrote (see)

Saying and using the excuse "It's a UKA rule" when it quite clearly is not is out and out lying and I have now taken to the policy that if I see a race that states this and I want to run the race I will challenge them to show me the rule - they have never yet been able to - other than quote what I did above - in which case if I want to run while listening to music, I do, and they can't do anything about it

What a terribly arrogant and self-centred attitude.

• Options

At least Triathlon takes a sensible approach....

They are banned, and I even saw someone last DQ'd for wearing them in transition whilst racking his bike !

• Options

UK Athletics Rules do actually say some things for trail runs. (Their definition is largely "not-road", so would seem to include the majority of races.)

1) Rule 611. Race organisers may draw up additional rules for their events which must be obeyed by competitors as though they were UK Athletics Rules

So if they say no headphones, that's it, no headphones. Simple.

2) "Rule 613.4) “Behaviour at Obstacles and Narrow paths” Competitors should not push past slower runners on narrow paths. The correct etiquette is for the overtaking runner to shout “track” and the slower to step out of the way as soon as practical, standing still if necessary."

So it seems that actually, according to UKA, for narrow paths, it is the slower person's reponsibility to get out of the way if called to. Which, obviously, they are less likely to be able to do if listening to music.

Use common sense and don't be an asshole. If you're faster, don't "buzz" the slower runners as you go past, and try to give a warning by calling. If you're slower, be aware that faster runners might want to overtake. Especially if it's a narrow course or multi-lap.

It's not that hard is it?

• Options
    grayif wrote (see

Use common sense and don't be an asshole. If you're faster, don't "buzz" the slower runners as you go past, and try to give a warning by calling. If you're slower, be aware that faster runners might want to overtake. Especially if it's a narrow course or multi-lap.

I agree with Grayif, use a bit of common, the rules are saying organisers should look at headphones in their assessment of the run, which implies they should use common sense, slower runners or headphone wearers also use a bit of common, watch your back and leave the Volume off the top notch and we're all smiling again.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    bionic-hip? wrote (see)

Arrogant, selfish, plenty more adjectives.

It doesn't matter if it's a UKA rule or not. If the organisers say no headfones, they are making it a rule for their race.

They can make whatever rules they like, they own the event, and you sign up agreeing to follow the rules.

I wonder, did you get that "Bionic hip", because you were plugged in during a race and got mashed?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SwissJames wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

SwissJames wrote (see)

I've said to him:

"Oh, so we're just not going to talk then?" 

But he claims the music helps, and that he can't get his breath enough to talk anyway. 

bin the chump off! What's the point in running neck and neck with him!?

A guy at work invited himself on my lunchtime run once.

he went to go and get his headfones. I just said you're either running with me, or you're listening with music, what's the point in both?!

• Options
    AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Just thought I'd chip in as an event orgainser (RunLiverpool Marathon) as we have had a number of phone calls this morning contesting the ruling.

If the event is governed by UKA License (ours is) then the rules are quite clear. You are not allowed to wear listening devices. This is on the basis of safety. The ruling isn't for debate. However, if anyone should choose to wear headphones then it is virtually impossible to implement disqualification in an event of several thousand participants.

If the instruction and ruling is clear and subsequently ignored then don't complain if your are subsequently disqualified. The rule is there for the safety of all concerned.

I find it difficult to understand why there is so much debate about this when the rules are quite clear. As Skotty said, people pick and choose which rules to abide by or ignore. 

It amuses me that an organiser of an event is citing a UKA rule that doesn't exist.