Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Looked at the results and they are strange, I ran with a mate never more than 10 yards apart, yet apparently we were 9 mins out at 20 miles, Finish time was accurate with garmins though

I also saw other people as I was returning who were more than an hour behind but they miraculously seem to have gained an hour over the last half but missed the 20 mile split. The problems with an out and back and toilets on both sides

• Options

We have all done really well I think!

Seems like everyone struggled at the same point.  I have never felt like that in a marathon before, I thought I would have to walk near the end, but I managed to run it all (very slowly), I found it so so hard though.  Normally I feel energised after a marathon and can't wait to go out after, but I was so tired it was all I could do to order a pizza in!  In fact, my legs are only a bit sore but I am stupidly tired today.  Not doing much, I can tell you.

I thought the hardest part probably, was when we turned off to all those fields around Carrington.  I think it was about 22 miles?  It was just fields all around and the wind seemed to be blowing at my face.  I was staggering by that point and had nothing left.  Mind you, I wasn't as bad as some people...seeing the state of some people you do wonder if they had done any training! I don't think some people respect the distance enough to be honest.

LOL...did anyone see the running boobs?!  What about the man running in bare feet?  WTF?!

I too have loved being part of this thread....I will hopefully do it next year (if I don't it will only be for personal circumstances)...Ideally I would like to do Paris, then Manchester than Chester or Liverpool (if on) in the Autumn....asking a lot though lol!

Good luck to anyone doing any more marathons this year.  I would love to do another, but I will be cutting down my distances gradually now, but will run as long as I can.

Panda

• Options

RP - I didn't see the bear footed man but I did see the woman dressed as a tit!  Very funny.  You couldn't have missed big bird either, surely?image

I too recall the stretch you're talking about.  Open fields, stiff wind by that point and I was starting to get cold as my pace had dropped.  I was silently praying for buildings to appear.

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

I had a fantastic day. Really enjoyed myself. Tried to stick with the 4.45 pacer but at mile 22 he began to pull away and my legs just couldnt respond.

Crowds were amazing and it could have been quite easy to OD on jellybabies/haribo.

I saw the boobs, the chicken, the bear foot runner, the rabbit, spiderman having a pee after only half a mile, the fireman, batman and superman!

Ended up coming in at 4.49 and smashing my PB image

I think the main difference to my approach was taking CarterUSM avdvice to run my LSR slower than race pace. Now I know that works will use it for the future. Must admit I think I'll run up to 22 in training next time. Really struggled after 20miles.

Had a good chat with Auntie Ninja on the approach to Altrincham, you were looking very relaxed if I may say so! Thanks for the encouragement.

Really enjoyed this forum. Thanks to everyone.

Dont stop now, keep up the running.

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I've seen a photo of the bare foot man this morning, how the hell can you do that?

I was grateful for the tail wind on the long run up to Old Trafford, couldn't have come at a better time.

I'm seriously considering Chester in the Autumn but I can imagine once you get out of the city it's very sparsely supported.  I really do appreciate a good crowd to give you a boost.

The best place for me yesterday was just on a left hand bend (I don't know where I was) at about 8 miles then back through it again at 15, they were tremendous.

• Options

Chester was very well supported for the last two years

• Options
    etb888 wrote (see)

Is it just me or are Stuweb's results a little all over the place?! http://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/sT/

Xan wrote (see)

etb888 - Yeah you are right, results are also here and have the corrects splits on too,

http://www.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=38&RId=421

Nice one for that. Was looking at the actual stuweb website and it had me finishing in a tiime of 4.17 despite me finishing in 3.21.

• Options

ha...I saw a couple of tits actually!  I think one just beat me...how embarrassing!!

• Options

Manchester was my first marathon yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot, even if I was extremely tired by the end. 

Really friendly atmosphere from participants and spectators. 

I was running next to Big Bird for the first 10 miles. Learnt afterwards that people don't cheer you on so much when you're competing with Big Bird (or Fireman Sam, or a boob), but spectators kept me running for the dreaded 18-24 mile stint

I was very slow, but glad to have finished my first - At least I have a time to beat now!

• Options

Does anyone know if there are any photos anywhere?

• Options

SB- I don't know which training plan you follow, but the main ingredients are a long run, medium fast paced run and a bit of track work.

I always start off my mid week run from 10 miles building up to 15 running the last half at half marathon pace . this will get you use to running fast on tired legs

All my 20 mile weekend runs are about a minute slower than MP.

The more miles you put in, in a week make a massive difference to your times.

Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the year, I'm having a break 2 marathons in 2 weeks has taken its toll.

• Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)

Does anyone know if there are any photos anywhere?

Official ones will be here when they are ready...

https://www6.marathon-photos.com/scripts/regist.py?uevent=Sports/CPUK/2013/Greater%20Manchester%20Marathon

There are a few on the Manchester Evening News website also...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/greater-manchester-marathon-2013---3182507

• Options
  • Options

What is going on with the results?  My 'Finish Time' is the correct gun time but they've hived off over 2 minutes for the 'Net Time' - It didn't take me 2 minute to cross the start...    My 10k time was about 12 minutes out and my half about 20 minutes out.  I did save a bit for the last 6 miles, but I didn't cover them all in less than 10 minutes:

Start Mat 00:02:17 09:02:23

10 Kilometres 00:52:15 09:52:21      

10 Mile 01:23:03 10:23:09      

Half Marathon 01:48:14 10:48:20      

20 Mile 02:48:53 11:48:59      

Finish 02:58:16 11:58:22 130 79 120

Are they going to leave all our results like that?

• Options

The results are an absolute joke, my overall result is accurate but my split times are different to what they were this morning, and miles apart from my Garmin 

• Options

Photos are now up on marathon-photos.com.

• Options

My split times are crap enough, but completely wrong on the website, and substantial minutes wrong from my Garmin. I have never known anything like it!  It doesn't matter to me, but if I was really fast like you guy's I would be having words!

Off to check pictures! Thanksimage

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Are you all accessing your results from http://www.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=38&RId=421

My splits were all over the place on stuweb yesterday but via that link they're spot on

• Options

Link won't work for me?

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Lets try it like this click

• Options

don't think that link is correct as it has a clubmate running 20 mins faster than her watch said

• Options

My splits are all over the place on that link. According to the times they have up I went through 20 miles 15 minutes after I actually finished. The final time is right so it doesn't really matter for me but I can see why people whose final time is way out are annoyed. 

• Options

Last year they screwed everything up, this year it looked good on the day, and was a good run pity this has let them down, also using the extortionate Marathon-photos (£18 for a JPG - WTF!) doesn't help

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I've only ever brought one race photo before and that was cheap at a tenner compared to this.

It was my first marathon though and a memory I want to treasue so I'll bite the bullet and hand over a whopping £25 for all my pics

• Options

Thanks Valley...it's still wrong though lol!  I know I went through the half way point in 2.20 as I checked my Garmin and thought "ooh, 4.40 finish if I keep this up".  I didn't of course, but the website says 2.28.  As has been said, the final time is right...7 minutes discrepancy between gun and chip time, due to me missing the start lol!

Agree about the photos.  Mine are quite good, but I aint paying that much.  Just to warn people...this company often discount the photos in a few weeks if they haven't sold too many (which they never do as it's extortionate!).  I was forever getting emails after Liverpool with the reduced price.  My advice would be to wait until it has died down and then wait and see how much they reduce them to.  They will be on there for ages yet, but I guarantee they will reduce them.

panda

• Options

Hi everyone, finally made it home to Plymouth. Completley shattered but got a sub 3hrs 15 (3hrs 13mins) but boy those last 6 miles were painful, so wanted to quit and go to the pub. The 3 of us walked like zombies last night around Printworks, had a great weekend though and many thanks to the organizers and the supporters along the route. Such brilliant support.

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Redpanda, I'll defo wait for them to reduce them now.

• Options

I've got a similar thing going on.  I ran around gun time 3.05.24 and even have photos of me beating the guys who finished in 3.05.26 and 3.05.30.

Yet I have been placed about 15 places back finishing in 3.06.04.

I complained and have sent the photos in. I've not had my finish time changed but I've suddenly been given almost 3 minutes netted off my time  to give me 3.03. In my new splits I ran the second half in 1.02 - world record pace image and went back in time after 20 miles recording a -17 minute last 10k.... get in there! I've heard of a fast finish but that is just incredible.

Clearly the chips just didn't work reliably. Hopefully they will sort it out. 

• Options

Glad you had fun Pete.  I am depressed now..I always feel "flat" the day after a marathon.  Like when you get back off your hols!  Normally I get round this by booking another holiday or registering for another marathon, but the fact that I can't do either is driving me potty!

No worries Valley.  They rely on people being impulsive in the week after and buying them, but if you sit on it for a few weeks they will reduce.  They would rather get something for them than nothing.  But it doesn't stop them trying to rip us off in the first place!

Panda