Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Ha ha....not married to someone called Gayle I hope?!!!!!!image

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

My garmin measured 26.06 miles in 3:44:19 compared to London last year of 26.4 in 3:47:51. I had the virtual pacer on 8:35 for a 3:45 finish and thought I'd blown it but the advice not to weave too much take corners well etc really helps.  I thought the shortest route was 26.2 but mooing from the comments it seems you can run less than a marathon.  My chip time was 3:44:15 ... 4 secs quicker than Garmin measured over 26.2 and a new PB so I have to be very happy with that.

only worry is other courses might not allow much scope for this efficiency so it might be hard to beat next time in Chester? Plus they have strategically placed hills at mile 22 & 24 image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Best we don't mention the 'short' route too much in case it gets remeasured and is found to be under distance.....it has been known to happen! 

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

That's what I was worried about Shazmo

• Options

maybe that underpass we went though is to blame? My watch measured 26.15.

• Options

Just got round to writing up my review, for those interested it's here: http://running.welcomebrand.co.uk/2013-manchester-marathon/ 

• Options

Well done everyone

In particular - sally, fantastic, i knew you'd do sub 4, excellent stuff

Panda - how you ran a marathon whilst being pregnant i'll never know, brilliant and take care now

RR mrs rr must be so proud, i remember you saying she expected you back around the5hr mark, so very well done

I was hoping to meet someone off here but unforunately i didn't.

Has anyone seen their photos yet? 20 of them and i'm gurning on 19 of them!

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Thanks Molly.  How did you get on?

My photos are dreadful, as I expected!!  Must have a look at yours...

Feeling a bit flat today I must admit - all that excitement and anticipation and now all finished.  Must plan something else I guess.

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Molly, you have some nice photos there - love your trainers too!!! x

• Options

Post marathon depression does exist! It's weird having free time after having months of training. It's a bit like planning a wedding, lots of preparation then it flies by.

Brand spanking new trainers, so glad it didn't rain so they didn't get dirty!

Runs off to look at your photos......

• Options

Post Marathon depression - book another

• Options

It's exactly like after a wedding/holiday.....as I say normally I book another holiday or marathon, but can't do eitherimage.

You should all book something else though, and I will see you here next year all being well!

So well done everyone. I wish I had met some of you too...I think I  was a bit far back for you lot though.  At least I beat the big bunny rabbit thoughimage!

xxxxxx

• Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)

SB, it was good wasn't it?  I have done the Bupa 10k many times, and I must say, the crowds are awesome then as well.  I have to say though, the best crowds I have ever seen (and I suppose I am a bit biased) is for the Great North Run.  I know someone that has done marathons literally all over the world, and still the GNR is his all time fave run, mainly for the crowds.  Saying that, they were brilliant in Liverpool too.  I just think Northerners rock! 

Yep, that'll about do it! image

No PMB here, i'm enjoying a few days off and looking forward to my week in the sun next Thursday (sorry Panda!).  Will go for a very gentle 4 miler on thursday to ease back into things.

I think, on reflection, i'm probably not going to book an autumn marathon.  I want to go sub 3 hours next time out and I think to get there, i'll need to improve speed and core strength first and then probably give the up to 75 mpw P+D training a shot.  If I tried for an autumn marathon, i'd be back in training again by June and I think I want to do more 5 and 10k short stuff during the summer instead,  I'll do a few halves in the autumn and then book 2 spring maras I think.

• Options

Yep looking to get back out running on Thurs/Friday, still a bit stiff in the calves today and Mrs RR is working down in London for a couple of days

Great to hear all these success stories

On most of my photos they seem to have captured me on Carrington Lane and the Mile Road where I was walking image

In the cold light of day, I think I got a couple of things wrong during the race so I may well be back next year to break that 4 hour barrier

Now going to concentrate on getting my HM time down so looking to pencil a couple in after the summer (the end of the football season means Mrs RR brings out the list of DIY jobs that need doing image)

In contrast to post-race depression, I'm quite looking forward to going out and just running without the pressure of distance, time, eating and drinking etc and doing it with less pressure or expectations (although ask me again in a week or so)

My son saw Spiderman out on the course and is now getting ideas should I enter again!

• Options

ha ha SB, I hate you!!  Where are you going for your jollies?  I would kill for some hot weather.  Sadly, with my situation and two big dogs, we are having to make do with a week in Anglesey in July!  Should be fun if it rains all week!  Not been before so am still looking forward to it.

I reckon you are right to concentrate on shorter stuff if you want that time.  Just don't get injuredimage

RR....Plenty time to smash that 4 hour target next year.  You did so well for your first.  I know what you mean about no pressure.  On reflection, it was starting to pi** me off, knowing I "had" to get up and run a certain distance, and the crap weather etc.  You forget all that though now!  I am looking forward to relaxing a bit I suppose and doing more spinning etc as I get further along with the baby.   I will be itching to do another race before long though.  You have been really helpful by the way, lots of practical advice about stuff.  I appreciate it.

Panda

• Options

RP - Just Crete for a week.  Temp will be 22-24 so nothing hot, just nice British summer temps.  We don't have kids so are trying an "adult only" hotel.  Sounds potentially seedy, I understand it isn'timage  Just no kiddies splashing your book when you're lead by the pool image  Our friends are looking after outr little hound, they love him.

You're right, this has been such a good natured and helpful thread.  It makes a difference "going throught it" with people at the same time, even it it is just folk you don't really know from a forum.  Helps keep you focussed and motivated. 

• Options

"Just Crete" he say's!image  Bloody jealous!  I would be amazed if it wasn't hotter than that though.  I went once and it was BAKING...supposed to be the hottest of all the Greek Islands....but then 22-24 is a lovely temp anyway.

So....Ahem...adults only eh?  Say no moreimageimageimage!!

You must do the marathon again next year just to be on this thread!  Some of these threads are brilliant.  I have made some great friends on them.  The Paris one was so brilliant, I went back on the next year just to join in the fun, even though I wasn't running it!!!

I hope you have a fab holiday.  You deserve it after all that hard work.

Panda

• Options

Yep, I'd like to think I could do a bit of hand holding next year and give some "newbies" the same advice that's been given to me. Every thing I've had suggested to me has been spot on

Not much of a holiday person myself but am fortunate that the kids just want to be by a beach, so Barmouth this August having been to Northumberland the last couple of years

Sad to say I always take my running kit with me on holiday and usually get out most days just to keep ticking over

RP - I take my hat off to you in terms of running a marathon while pregnant and even thinking about future races with 2 youngsters. Mine are a little older and I now realise that yes I do get up at stupid o'clock to go running but Mrs RR is being very supportive just in keeping my 2 busy whenever I'm out for a run and on the odd occassion when I need to fit in a run outside the normal schedule

• Options

RR....It's been lovely conversing with youimage.

I never realised how hard it was to get out once I had a baby....not just that but my partners odd working pattern, tiredness and horrible weather, and the inevitable household chores etc!  Still, everyone has their challenges to overcome.

I totally agree, my partner is a runner (though has not even been out this year yet!), so he "gets it", but he has been very supportive, and followed me round that course on Sunday like a good un.  It was really touching, and I love him for itimage!

I love Northumberland....where is Barmouth?  I have heard of it.  I take my running kit too, and definitely go out in this country on holiday, it's a good chance to explore the area, providing you don't get lost!!

Panda

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well done everyone, it sounds like you all did really well and had a great day.

Not sure what's happened regards the chip timing though. Did any of you guys have issues with your times ?

SB - you will enjoy the adults only hotel image

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Oops!

Greater Manchester Marathon Results Statement - Our timing company have had a technical issue with the chips and are working hard to rectify the situation. The times have been recorded but there are allocation issues which is why some times are out. We are gutted about this and hope to have a correct set of results very soon.

If you have an issue with your time please contact them directly via the email link on this page. http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/runner-information/results 

Thank you for your patience in this matter.
  • Options
    cybarev wrote (see)

Oops!

Greater Manchester Marathon Results Statement - Our timing company have had a technical issue with the chips and are working hard to rectify the situation. The times have been recorded but there are allocation issues which is why some times are out. We are gutted about this and hope to have a correct set of results very soon.

If you have an issue with your time please contact them directly via the email link on this page. http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/runner-information/results 

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

With a bit of luck they correct my time to a London GFA. image

• Options
    samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

My results have been changing. 

A friend noted down my timing soon after it was published. The splits tally with what I remember from my watch, but the finishing time is out by about 8 minutes (too fast).

Looking at it now, they've all changed. My finishing time is correct but my split times are now wrong - they look like they might be the splits belonging to the faster finisher.

I don't think it'll ever be possible to sort this mess out completely. What a farrago.

• Options

I was hopeful my time would have been corrected but I'm still out by a minute image

Praying for stuweb to pull through - come on Stu let's get these times sorted out

• Options

RP/Carter - Get yer minds out of the bloody gutter!image  Thanks for the wishes RP but far more important than me enjoying my rest is you two enjoying yours now!  As many have said, running a marathon is one thing but actually carting another human being around inside you whilst you're at at - that's a different sort of mental!

I will do Manchester again next year, the only thing that will stop me is if I get in at London.

However, this timing shit does put a dampner on things.  I now really don't know what time I finished in.  I, stupidly, forgot to stop my Garmin when I crossed the line (I do this, A LOT) but looking at the stats, it seems to suggest a 3.11.11 finish time not the 3.11.50 I was originally given.  The timing dudes now have me at 3.09.17  So, having finished my first marathon, I can't actually tell anyone what bloody time I did any longer because I have no fecking idea. Stunning.

• Options

Oh, poor you!!!  I can't ever imagine having a time even close to that, it's bloody brilliantimage.  Still, I know what you mean, and it does put a damper on it.  The most annoying thing would be if you were wanting say under 4 hours and you got in in 3.59 and they had it as 4.01 or something!

Lets hope they sort his out and it doesn't put people off doing it next year, as I fear it might do with the faster folk.  Heaven knows, training is hard and you want the time to be correct.

Ah, thanks for the compliment, it wasn't so bad, just really tired legs.  They feel fine now, but I seem to have developed the trotsimage.  Probably because my body is in shock with all the crap I have consumed since Sunday......Am just grateful I didn't have this problem on the run!

Panda

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Strangely B, did you phone up about your missing t shirt...? Was you, wasn't it? 

• Options
    fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi all.  Good to see you all had good runs.  Managed time of 3;42:04. Am happy with that for my first Marathon.  Sub 4 was my target but quietly had an eye on 3:45.

Started out lurking behind 3:45 pacer but he went for a wee break at i think about 3-4 miles so went ahead and he eventually caught up at about 21 miles.  last six miles were hard but the last mile was very hard, legs were like lead.  Crowds were fantastic and organisation was good. were there any mile markers? must have had blinkers on.

One thing i learned about myself is, i  really didn't know i could dig so deep when the going got tough. image

Haven't posted earlier because i got absolutely trashed at the pub sunday night and spent Monday in bed.

• Options

My time and splits seem to be correct, looks like I got my pacing right on the day and ran a negative split.

Start mat 2.05

10K       54.08

10 Mile 1.27:14

1/2 Marathon 1.53:37

20 Mile 2.52:35

Finish 3.43:12 (gun time)

• Options

Been knackered all day, back to work for me (i'm a postie) so the legs and chaffing were killing all morning, worth it though. Video on you-tube of the kids at Altrincham singing away, they were truly amazing!!!