Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Well done, Bruce! No 20s here for a few weeks yet image

• Options

Well done Bruce and Jason today,

Bruce- have you already ran a marathon this year, or are you starting really early? image

• Options
    Mark1981 flippin eck well done crackin time that is. Whats the course like. Not dellamere by any chance is it?

JasonD are you feelin allrightimage not like you to only do 8mile in one day.

Long interval session for me. 15m for the day image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Andy- fine, mate. Another 5.7 this afternoonimage

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

An easy 5.5 miles for me today followed up by a 10 mile walk through the West Sussex Country. Planning on a LSR tomorrow maybe 12-14ish miles looking forward to marathon plan starting on Monday image

• Options

Andy-It was at Middlesbrough. To be honest it is a fast course and some of the usual fast runners didnt turn up, but a win's a win!

Ive never won any race since i was running round the playground at school so i'm basking in the glory today image

Good running today, what time are you aiming for in Chester?

Lisa-well done, good luck tomorrow!

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Bruce nice mileage yesterday, are you doing another marathon before Chester as thankfully I have got a few more weeks before I have to up my LSR's to 20 miles. D'oh just seen that you are doing Giants head - good luck image

Mark cracking Parkrun PB, bloody well done and it's great to be first finisher.

13 miles LSR today in the sun - I think that we can declare that Summer has officially arrived image

• Options
    mark1981 wrote (see)

Well done Bruce and Jason today,

Bruce- have you already ran a marathon this year, or are you starting really early? image

Mark, yes (sort of) did the Sandstone Trail Ultra a couple of weeks ago, so now just getting in a couple of long ones before I do Giants Head Mara at end of June, so yeah haven't started early am just finishing my spring training a little late image

Lisa123 wrote (see)

Bruce nice mileage yesterday, are you doing another marathon before Chester as thankfully I have got a few more weeks before I have to up my LSR's to 20 miles. D'oh just seen that you are doing Giants head - good luck image

Thanks Lisa, I have a feeling looking at the course prfile am going to need more than luck !! image 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Lisa- summer is here tooimage

My plan starts on a Sunday- so that's TODAY!image The plan says 2hour easy pace run, which happened to be 16.31m todayimage

• Options
    Mark, make the most of that. A win is a win. You were the first person on the day so enjoy. Have a beer. To be honest mcmillan reckons (based on HM pb) that marathon pace is about 5:52 so going for 6m/m pace (2:37) or as close as I can get away with. Big ask obviously but not suppost to be easy.
  • Options

McMillan is pretty accurate for me until I get to the marathon where I'm nowhere near the prediction. 

2.37 is ridiculously fast! What's your marathon pb and how many have you done? 

• Options
    Mcmillan has been pretty good for everythin else up to the half. finished 2marathons in past. 2009- snowdonia 4:12 and 2010- chester 3:36.

For snowdon I did about 20-25mpw with a longest run of about 17m once.

For chester 2010 I did about 35mpw with a longest run of about 20 or 21 I think.

Had a few disasters since then for one reason an another. All caused by inexperience so think I know what to be weary of now *he says*
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. First day of my 18wk schedule today...will be 9mi with 4 LT miles. Going to try running the LT miles at about 6min/mi...might blow up in this warm weather though!

Just incase anyone out there doesn't know...LT= Lactate Threshold...which is the pace where you to start to build up more lactate in your muscles than you can remove...the idea is to increase your threshold so you can run faster and for longer in a marathon (where you would always run below your LT). By running at close to this threshold than you can supposedly increase it. The pace is somewhere between 15k and half marathon pace...or the fastest pace you could run at for an hour. Its' an important session in marathon training..probably 2nd to all the endurance stuff.

Ok? Lesson over for today.

• Options

Hello again 15w.

I agree with you about the LT runs, it was the one session that I felt improved me the most in the build up to London.

Andy- Are you looking to go from a 3.36 marathon pb to a 2.37? That's a hell of an improvement. Unless I've missed something! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Mark - you following P&D again?

• Options

I think I'll be following it for 12 weeks this time rather than 18, I thought 18 weeks was a bit too long for me last time. Gonna be doing a few triathlons and shorter races before starting again. 

Saying that I still might include a few of the sessions over the next few weeks. 

What are you aiming for at Chester? 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Not sure yet...I suppose a PB (2.50.21). The next big one is sub 2.45 I guess...but I'm not sure how far I can take all this! How about you?

Just back from my LT run and it was hard blooming work...tried sticking to roughly 6 min/miles but kept going too fast for first few miles, then stuck a hill in there which in hindsight was possibly a bit of a mistake, and the last mile or so really struggled . Haven't looked at stats yet but definately slowed a bit in last mile. That's first time since London I went faster than about 7min/mi and could really feel it. Hot out there too (relatively hot that is...hot for me anyway!). Still, good to mix it up a bit after weeks and weeks of plodding about...no pain no gain and all that.

• Options

15west- can I ask  - what do you reckon my LT pace should be - my 10k speed is 8.47 and my half marathon 9.27 pm - so am reckoning on half way between ie 9.07. Do you think faster or slower?  The tables in the book don't include my speeds and I've not raced a 15k - so presume that would be slower than 10k time.  If it was say 9.07 then in fact half way between that and 9.27 is 9.17.  Does that sound right?  I want to get it right.  Also how fast do you do the miles either side - warm up and cool down - I tried a test one out last week and hard to keep to a slow pace - I did 8 with middle 4 at 9.12 and others at 10.12.  Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm new to P&D and only my 2nd marathon but want to start this properly!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes...I think half way between 10k and half pace would be probably round about right...There are calculators online for this sort've thing though...on thos website under training..and also here: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

You can run the miles either side as slow as you like I reckon...infact I was so knackered after my LT run today I walked for a few minutes afterwards to cool down a bit.

Also - if you have want to know more specific P&D stuff there is a autumn marathon P&D thread under training.

• Options
    mark1981 wrote (see)

Andy- Are you looking to go from a 3.36 marathon pb to a 2.37? That's a hell of an improvement. Unless I've missed something! 

yes i am looking to do this but the figures given dont really tell full story.

chester 2010 was going great guns till 24m averaged 3:10 pace till then, suddenly got cramps at 24m from dehydration. struggled last 2m to finish in 3:36

then there was Llanelli 2011 where it was 21c and again i got to 24m on 3hr pace then collapsed with heatstroke.

Manchester 2012, was on for 2:44 till 23m but whole body seized up because of early stages of hypothermia. thankfully nearest pub sorted me out so it didn`t turn into a hospital job. Scary that was.

Lastly there was Chester 2012 training went really well for this and so i was very confident but 10days before i got tonsillitis and was unable to eat a morsel till about 48hours before. (lost 10lbs) so despite eating like mad for the day before and stupidly deciding to start i started to feel weak at 14mimage i kept going at 3hr pace but started to feel faint at 19m and walked another mile and very faint, brother spectating at 20m decided i should stop there because of looking ill. so you guessed it another DNF imageimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

andy- I am glad in a way that it wasn't just Llanelli and last year's Chester which were an issue, otherwise I would begin to think I was a jinx on you!!image I am sure it will go better this time round- you deserve a good run!

LT pace- I use my 10m race pace- half mara race pace, until the CBA pace kicks in after about 3-4m if i'm on my own image

Recovery run for me this morning and then a 1 hour run (8.3m) this evening- one of those rare runs where it seems effortlessimage Think the miles built over the last few weeks are starting to pay off

• Options
    Jason D I think by chance I've just had all the hard lessons one after another. everytime I've allways trained much better than the time before. Just gotta keep on trying anyway. starting to wonder if I need to try an get a time under 2:40ish because I start to run out steam after about that long when running at pace.

doing alot more marathon paced stuff this time and hope that gives the speed endurance and lactate threshold a bit of a boost on top of half marathon fitness.
  • Options

15west - thank you and thanks for link to mcmillan - very useful. 

• Options

Hi all,

I'll be doing this one if I can ever get my arse into gear after Manchester marathon. Between recovering from that and a 2 week holiday I've done next to no running during May and my training mojo has gone AWOL.

Cheers

Gaz   

• Options

Come on Gaz, get your finger out and start doing some training! Why don't dont you enter a shorter distance race or do a few parkruns to change your focus a little bit?

Im in a similar boat to you, after having a long build up to London I'm not sure if I want to jump straight back into marathon training, but you need to do something. Don't let all that hard work go to waste. 

Andy- it sounds like you've had some horrendous luck, have you thought about going off at a more modest pace and trying to negative split the marathon? If I was you I'd try and get a good marathon time under my belt and then improve on it next year. I know you mentioned a predicted time of 2.37 but would something like 2.50 be the end of the world? 

Im not trying to teach you how to suck eggs because I'm nowhere near as quick but if your racing right on the edge your taking a big risk again. 

15W- My target is to break 3 hours again, I need to find 5 minutes from my London time, just hope everything goes to plan this time. image

• Options
    Mark- 2:50would be brilliant. The main focus in training is on 10k's though so there is more pacey stuff nowadays. In the manchester marathon I really felt strong so think 2:44 would of happened dare I say straightforward, the mileage was through the roof when training for that. Was gutted when the weather was bad. For once the pace felt easy untill hypothermia started to kick in.
  • Options
    Come on GazOC get going the weathers lovely tday image
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning everybody. 12mi for me today. Looks like going to be warm all week...prepare to sweat!

• Options

I'm going swimming in a lake tonight after work, might do a little run after it.

Cant wait image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭