Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

OMG could the weather b any hotter for a HM race!!! Wish me luch for MK tomorrow it's not going to be pretty!!!!

• Options

Good luck tomorrow, and DON'T forget the sun-cream !!! Here speaks the voice of unfortunate hindsight ... Bruce + GHM + sun - suncream = image 

• Options

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow! 

Im doing the Southport half marathon, I think it's gonna be warm image

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Shoulders burnt to buggery and faded badly in the last 2k of trail half today, strong until the sun got me, head felt like it was going to explode.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

I am doing Birdsedge challange near Holmfirth  good tough race

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Stephan I am feeling and will be sharing your pain tomorrow. I usually go to races on my own, but I am actually allowing my hubby to come with me just in case I get heat/sun stroke. Shouldn't really complain as it is summer but 28c is a tad hot for racing image

Happy racing all!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Anyone else going to the training run tomorrow?

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Unfortunately can't make the training run tomorrow as church commitments here in Mold . I hope to make the remaining training ruins and catch up with folks especially anyone intending joining the 4hr45 fun bus . Motivation and fun and other mantras . In fact what mantras do you use on a long run ?

sometimes on the long run or race - I try and dedicate a half mile to a family member and think about lots of things about them for half a mile - I may drift off subject, but as my garmin is programmed to beep every half mile- if I really concentrate on the dedication subject then 'another half mile soon bites the dust' also slow counting 1001, 1002 etc slowly and before 100 or so certainly soon then   another half mile bites the dust. 

Also a mantra ' looking good, feeling good , looking up feeling up' is self talk for feeling good and looking up. Focus focus 

anyone going on the training runs - update please image

• Options

lsr for me,8am start  ,the grim reaper 40 ultra,  for me 4 weeks time followed by chesterimage

• Options

been suffering with what I thought was hayfeaver for last few days but woke this morning now on my chest feels like a real cold, so thing i"ll give today a miss image and hope it goes away, before Wyvern 10k next weekend.

• Options

Rob, my mantra from my last one was "every step I run, is a step less I have to walk to finish!"

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

I decided to get the long run out of the way today, miss the worst of the heat and not miss the tennis. 18.12m in 2.13.42 (7.23 av) and back home by 9amimage Already very, very warm though....

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Did my long run yesterday. Was supposed to be 18 with 10 at mp pace, but I cut it short to 17 with 9 at mp pace as I was absolutely wasted. Think I over did it on a few of my  runs last week...going to take it easy for the next few days. Hope all ok out there - go easy in this heat, and keep well hydrated,

• Options

Great running going on out there guysimage

• Options

Southport half marathon for me this morning, that was the hottest weather I've ever ran in, in this country. 

I managed to run a new pb of 1.20.37 so I'm really pleased with myself. Just waiting for the results now.

Im starting to realise that training for an autumn marathon is a lot harder than one in the spring. 

Well done for everyone that gets out today image

• Options

Wow great result Mark, incredible performance to pb in the heat.  I found Southport just too hot for me today and so took it very steady.

• Options

Cheers Matt, did you enjoy the race?

I thought it was good, maybe a bit twisty and turny towards the end but I enjoyed it. 

• Options

It’s hard for me to see past the heat and  time but I thought large parts of the route were dull, some bits were nice in the park and next to the sea but that long drag to run round the cone was a particularly miserable hot bit for me, thought water was in short supply at the third water stop then too long till the next water stop and not enough people to distribute at some of the stops, I think those even further back might have struggled for a drink. 

I’d been really looking forward to it, aiming for a sub 1hr36…. been training/racing well well but after about 3 mile i  just found it really hot and the air quite thin and I didn’t want to mess up some other stuff I have planned when the aim of the day wasn’t on for me given the conditions…..so decided to just plod round in 8 min miles my MP and try and get something out of the day without causing too much pain.

Offerton 10k on Wed and Arley Hall HM in 2 weeks onwards and upwards towards Chester.

• Options

Sounds like you did the right thing today, 13 miles @ marathon pace is still a good workout.

I would hope they didn't run out of drinks today that would have been a nightmare. 

• Options

Completed MK today in 1hr 48mins so pleased with time in that heat. Very nice route and good support. Well done mark on your time for southport. Well done marplematt for getting around. I think a lot of runners have taken it steady today.

good to do running in these tough conditions, will hopefully help for Chester.

• Options
    Ice QueenIce Queen ✭✭✭

Great half marathoning and long runs this weekend everyone, I don't envy anyone out in this heat!

NellyP hope you're feeling better soon

We're staying in the Premier Inn in Chester, coming up on the Saturday and going back on the Monday.

I managed 14 and a bit miles in 2:15 yesterday so quite pleased as it was getting quite warm by the end, glad I went out at 8:20 when it was foggy and drizzling as it also meant I couldn't see how far I still had to go along the seafront, haha.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mark and Stephen- well done- must have been tough in the heat...image

MM- wise decision I'd sayimage

15 West- nice runningimage

IQ- you seem to have very different weather....image

Just came back from a 4.2m recovery run which made me grateful that I got the main event out of the way early this morning. Think I will do that again! This afternoon's post Wimbledon run (Well done, Andy Murray!!!!) was 24 degrees, but thankfully with a bit of a breeze...Weekly stats: (missed 1 session cos I oversleptimage) 101.19m in 13.04.50 (7.45 av)

First 2000m of 2013 done and dustedimage

• Options

Jason your mileage is insane! I don't think I've ran 2000 miles in my whole life image

What are you targeting in Chester?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mark- lol! Too early to think of targets.... But sub 2.45 is the main plan image After that, will have to see how the speedwork goes in later weeks- final decision on race pace will come after Lake Vyrnwy half in September

• Options

Wow, 2.45 would be impressive.

I bet there won't be many runners ahead of you with a time like that.

• Options

21mins better than blackpool is mine sub 4image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mark - there will be a fair few! 2.49 last year saw 28 ahead of meimage

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Trail half(ish) for me yesterday. Got to fhe drinks just before 12 at 10 secs/mile up on target MP (target 8.30) feeling strong, felt very lightheaded soon after and finished the 13.6ish in a second under 2h, a dreadful last few km, hopefully heat related, my head felt like it was about to burst.

Legs feel great today, wish my burnt shoulders felt great, so jogged an easy 6.  Day off Tuesday so I'll aim for about 20 at a very easy pace in the sun.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Graeme- good running! Tough n the heat. Make sure you keep drinking plenty before your 20image No plans to do a 20 here for another 2 weeks....

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Have now recovered after my awful 15 mile trail race yesterday which saw me finish with heat exhaustion. Only ran solidly for 8.5miles then the next 6.5 were a mix of walk/run/walk. Really tough in the heat and my body just rebelled. Thankfully watching Murray win Wimbledon cheered me up no end and almost made me go out for a recovery run yesterday evening.

Back to marathon training this week, so rest day for today and its a step back week this week which is good especially as the temperature is supposed to stay scorching.

Well done to everyone who got out there and ran in the heat. We must be bloody  mad image