Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

My whole family has now got the running bug!!! My wife went out and completed her first 3mile run, my son already is out there and now my daughter after 16yrsof me nagging is going out for her first ruin with me tonight. Going to go for a very gentle 1 mile walk/run with her first then do another 2 miles very slow just to help get legs feeling normal after yesterdays HM.

weather is amazing although a little hot for running does help motivate you to go out there and do something.

• Options

I'm begging to wonder if this is meant to be, after recovering from the calf strain I've now got a chest infection (doc's tomorrow) and I somehow don't think I'll be doing the Wyvern 10K on Sunday.

I suppose it's still early enough to (Hopefully) clear up and then get down to some serious training...............

Or possibly take up twiddly winks!!!!!

• Options

Hi nellyp, I know what u mean about illness. I've got chest infection as well after completing MKHM just getting over a cold the body is saying NO!!!!

meant to be doing my local running club 10k tonight but going to Marshall instead.

going to take it easy reset of week (sort of) as I have off road marathon in 2 weeks!!!!

all good fun 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. 10mi for me today at a relatively easy pace. Still covered in sweat at the end, stupid weather. Should be a bit cooler tomorrow (more so the further north and east you are); then heats up again for a few days then hopefully a bit cooler on the latter part of the weekend.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Good long run in the heat, slower and 14 instead of 20 because I had to get back for my swimming lesson. Lost 3.2kg despite stopping for a bottle of water at about halfway.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

15 West- agree about the weather- I've had enough!

Graeme- wow! good going!

Nelly and Stephen- get well soon...image

Lisa- take it easy- if you were suffering from heat exhaustion, it will take a while to fully recover and hydrate

6m recovery for me at 5am when the weather was quite pleasant- warm by the time I finished! Waited until 7pm for the evening run- can't leave it much later as it interferes with sleep/ recovery and the morning run! Didn't do much good- it was still 24 degrees when I finished. Going to have to take a drink on tomorrow's MLRimage Still, happy with tonight's run- steady effort 8.16m in 55.25 (6.47 av)image

• Options

Hi all some seriously committed runners on here which is very commendable , im very much a plodder but looking to sharpen up training to attain a pb at Chester , can anyone recommend a cross training / core workout plan as this is oftern my downfall as i do the running side of things but not the conditioning part .thanks   

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

http://vimeo.com/9807775

This is a pretty tough core workout - but a good one I reckon....you can try each one for 30secs first of all, then increase...? Also - just doing the plank for 30 seconds a few times a day plus some sit ups will help...and this clam one is good for your butt muscles which I have been doing recently as have some hip problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-s7nasg18o

Also - you should do some strength training on your legs..squats etc; that will help your running; and as for cross training - whatever you enjoy really...swimming, cycling, rowing, cross trainers etc etc.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

13mi for me today. Not quite as hot today. Feeling a bit rubbish with what feels like a cold trying to start...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Also Kev - as you are a bit of a plodder as you say why don't you try introducing some speed work into your training. Once a week do between 15 and 30mins running at your half marathon pace (after a few miles warming up and followed by a few miles cooling down)...or do some intervals like 5x3mins at 5k pace.....just a thought....

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Is there any indication when the last time for entering this race is likely to be?

• Options

15west -thanks for your advice and tips , will give it a go

• Options

Marshall at my clubs midweek 10k event. On Tuesday evening.  Really good to see the running at close up. Did a lovely easy 2.7 mile recovery run to day. Feeling all recovered from weekends run and what I thought was a chest infection. What ever it was it went as quick as it came. 

Back to faster running tomorrow hopefully after my company's conferance (sit down event and eat  too much food!!!) going to go for about 7/8 miles, then back to the LSR on Saturday.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Change of plan this evening! Was supposed to do 12-13, but it was 28 degrees at 7pm without a breath of wind, so switched sessions around, running 8.01m in 55.17 (6.54 av). Got through 500ml of water as it was and looked like I had been thrown in a lake by the end!

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Hi Kev - i'm  middle of pack - back , usually 4hr 30 marathon and pacing the 4:45 group at Chester - i ve been following the 3 x a week First training schedule linked here long run, tempo and intervals, intervals fast as you can between 400m and a mile. i ve followed it roughly for last 10 or so marathons and it fits in with life and a little bit of gym or swim cross training, cheers 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

got the 12 miler done and dusted by 7.30 this morning, before it got too hotimage

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Jason - think I was probably on the verge of heat exhaustion as was shivering and cold in 30c heat and feeling extremely nauseous everytime I tried to start running - believe that the enforced walk from 8.5 miles probably stoppped me tipping over the edge.

So training this week is a cut back week - woohoo!

Club session on Tuesday, which consisted of hill repeats, 800m intervals and strides - felf pretty wrecked after this and my speed was definately slower then usual. Yesterday was a 5.5 mile recovery run and my plan for today is a gentle 8 miler - was going to get up and go out early, but as have day off work felt that a lie in was in order, so will head out later.

Nelly I hope that you are now starting to recover from you chest infection?

Kev10 when you say you are a plodder - please define that as amongst all the super speedy runners on this thread I am very much a plodder - however I still class myself as a 'proper runner' compared to the rest of the non-running population! image 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning everybody. 6mi slow run for me today. The heat is back here in Manchester...but supposed to be a bit cooler from sunday onwards. I've got a bit of a sore throat and blocked up nose which is nice.

• Options

Wrexhamrob - Thanks for the link , going to try and stick to 4 runs a week plus cross training session of sorts

Lisa123 - my take on running has always been to enjoy it and not take it too seriously which has sometimes cost me in previous marathons (times etc)  

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

15West- well if you are going to be ill, better now than Octoberimage

Sooo glad I got the 12 out of the way this morning! A 5.7m recovery run this evening- nice running nice and slow in the evening sun- just glad it wasn't longer or faster. Tomorrow is my recovery dayimage with 2 similar runs- so no early start tomorrow- well, not too earlyimage

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Cracking club session, 9x600 reps, on my arse at the end.

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Run Wales wrote (see)

Is there any indication when the last time for entering this race is likely to be?

Does anyone know?  Will it sell out? 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

RW- just enter and you won't have to worry!

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

8 miles for me last night - way too hot for this running lark if you ask me and was struggling towards the end, - thankfully a rest day today. Short 4-5 mile recovery run on Saturday planned, will get up early and head straight out to avoid the heat. Next week the temperature is looking stifling so may really suffer as the plan picks up again after this recovery week.

Graeme nice descriptive speed session!

Run Wales - have you tried contacting the organisors they are really helpful, may be able to advise re; numbers etc? Or do as Jason suggests and just bite the bullet and enter image

• Options

Great run last night 8miles at a good steady 8:30 pace. Feeling great with this weather helping to get me outdoors. Rest day today then a semie long run on Saturday. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Glad someone's enjoying the weather. Looks nice and all that...but sh*tty to run in in my opinion. 10mi for me today. My cold is coming along nicely. Grumble grumble.

RunWales - what Lisa says, contact the organisers....

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Thanks for the helpful advice!

• Options

12miles slow for me tomorrow nice and early, I'm on the wine now, could b a big mistake!!!!! Going with running club so going to stick at the back, nice and quiet.

good luck to anyone doing a run this weekend.

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I did a relay race today, with my club. My leg was only 3.3miles but I was boiling. Doing a hilly 10k on Sunday but at least it's only 10k and not 10 miles, like the Eccup 10 last weekend. Hopefully it won't be as hot as well - that was awful! 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stephen- hope you enjoyed the wineimage

Nykie- well done on the relay- the weather forecast looks hotter if anything, I'm afraid....

It was our school's summer fete yesterday- much better weather for selling strawberries and cream than running. Finally got the pm run done at 8 o clock- just cooling off by then. image It was my recovery day image so just a slow 5.7m recovery run. Same in the morning at 6am- not too hot then eitherimage

Today looks like being a scorcher- 8m lined up, including Parkrun- going to get HOTimage