Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Morning all.

Ice Queen - I have that FIRST book and keep thinking of trying it, but then don't. I may use it next year for shorter distances....sticking to the throwing mileage at it for marathons. For high carb snacks try malt loaf, pretzels, rice cakes with jam, toast with honey, dried fruit (maybe not too much the day before), energy bars, sports drinks....anyone anymore suggestions? All the carbs can make you feel a bit crappy though, and some people prefer just to eat their normal diet after past experience.

6mi jog for me today.

Mark - Taper Madness. 2nd week is niggle week..I too have all sorts of aches and pains.

• Options

Morning, Yeah i put the heavy legs down to tapering, what worrys me more is how they feel this morning, its like ive done a long run yesterday!

As you say its probably taper madness image

Ice queen, ill take your advice and do plenty of stretching.

I'll probably up the carbs a little bit before the race but im pretty sure the experts are now recommending just eating a pretty normal carb consumption on race week. This is because you are doing a lot less training so you'll build up your glycogen storage anyway by eating pretty much as normal.

I usually eat rice crackers the day before a race because they are quite light, but id be careful trying anything too different when it gets close to the race.

These last few weeks are definitely the hardest part of marathon training!

• Options

Morning all – it’s all getting v close and exciting now – I have one more interval session (3 x 1600m) today and then that’s all the hard ones done for me. 

Definitely not too early to start worrying about the weather!  The start and finish are on the race course – how soft does that all get if it rains hard next week?

I’m also in a dilemma about what pace to start off at.  I really really really want to crack 3:15 but don’t want to get to 20 miles at that pace and then blow it over the last 6.  On the other hand I don’t want to go out at 7:30 min/mile and then come in at 3:17 and wonder if I could have gone quicker.  Decisions decisions!  I suspect I’ll plump for the 15W approach of going out at 3.15 pace and aiming to hang on in there.

The first time I didn’t feel really sluggish during the taper was pre Stratford this year – and it was also the first time that I haven’t eased off too much.  For previous events I’ve reached the ‘3 weeks before’ point and cut back probably too much, and felt awful throughout the taper.  It’s usually gone ok on the day though.  This year I did more during the taper, felt fine and had a good race (and even managed an even pace from start to finish).  Or maybe that’s just coincidence….

• Options

Morning all, 

The race is only under two weeks away and I am already having butterflies, just thinking about it. My first marathon! So excited!  

• Options

This is my 1st Mara and the last two weeks haven't been great...but not disastrous like for some others.

I missed about 5 days running last week with a minor niggle and am ill this week so am running nowhere.

Hopefully I'll benefit from this 'rest' although not feeling like I am at the mo'.

• Options

Senor spam - if there is a 3.15 pacer then follow him/her...problem solved.

• Options

there is - question is whether I will be able to keep up with him or her!

YES I WILL!

• Options

Well - that is your challenge. Don't lose sight of them. There will probably be a crowd following the pacer...which should make things a little easier for you.

I follow the well used taper method of 75% of max in 1st week, 50% in 2nd week, and 25% in 3rd. Less mileage, same intensity. So - if feeling sluggish this week go and do a few intervals ro a tempo run...just bit less than normally would.

• Options

thanks 15W, my challenge indeed.

Last anti-sluggishness intervals done.  Time for a weather forecast.

• Options

Señor Spam, what is your current PB? Chester is a great course, I went from 3:21 to 3:15 there last year, hoping to do around the same time this year image

• Options

Currently looking like could stay warm into next week...although could become moe unsettled. 6th Oct still too far away for any accuracy at all...we'll know more this time next week. Praying for settled weather...anyone on here take part in the infamous manchester marathon of 2012??

• Options

Oh dear I went to watch my friends do Manchester 2012. Wish I hadn't! Felt really sorry for them, they all did well to finish. Remember going home, getting in to a bath with no cold water in and still shivering! At least our weather will be better than that. I'm not tempting fate, I'm just sure that it can't rain like that for at least another 20 years. 

• Options

I ran it and cause of major screw up by baggage storage people couldn't pick up my bag with dry clothes in it...or my phone to contact family...or house keys. I was shivering like a looney and I think was close to hypothermia, and as I live about 15mins walk from there decided to walk home and leave bag and hope someone was in. Then I got home and of course noone there...and I'm locked out...so just stood outside not knowing what the hell I was going to do, still shivering like mad...when luckily a neighbour took pity on me and took me in to warm up and eat something.

All good fun.

• Options

Although my taper runs haveall been fine and I've no injuries/niggles,  my self-belief (which was very strong a fortnight back) has gone.   I'm terrified of failure now.

• Options

Tim, don't worry, if you've done the work and felt fine a fortnight ago then you'll be fine on the day!  sounds like Taper madness is getting the better of you image

Luverlylegs - that's encouraging - thank you.  My PB is 3:21, once at Stratford this April and once at Abingdon in 2011.  Training has gone pretty well since April, just not sure if I can lop off the best part of 7 minutes.  As 15W says, sticking with a pacer - or someone like you also aiming at the same time - should make it easier. 

• Options
    Quick bit of advise if I may. Past week or two I've been getting niggles in my knees on my runs, even the short 5 milers. My current trainers are at 400 miles, they feel like they've gone and sound a bit squelchy under foot (no idea if that's a real word), is it too late to get a new pair, same make and model obviously. Cheers everyone
  • Options

Spam, my 3:21 was at Abingdon in 2011 as well! We must have been running side by sideimage My training has been better than last year, hoping I can at least match my time from 2012 or even slightly better. 

Stoph, it is late in the day but if you get some now so you have time to test them out then I think it would be preferable to running in squelchy shoes, what distance do you plan to run this weekend?

• Options
    10 miles. Thinking about it, my current pair are on their way out anyway so I might as well buy another pair and try them out over the next few runs, if they don't feel great then I can just revert to my old ones on marathon day I guess. Thanks for reply
  • Options

Good plan! Good luck image

• Options

Luverly - no way!  Yoy may well have passed me on the track right at the end - I took an unanticipated 2-3 minute break about 300m from the finish on my knees having completely run out of steam (which I think may have been dehydration - I struggle with getting enough water from a cup).  The Medical guys were brilliant - although I was determined not to let them pull me off the course, I'd come that far, there was no way I wasn't going to finish.

Stoph - your plan sounds good to me.  When I've had shoes that need a bit more wearing in, it's been obvious from about 3-4 miles - so if your new ones are still fine after your 10 miles this weekend then I'd be tempted to use them on marathon day.  maybe make the 10 miler a 2x5m or 4x2.5m laps so that if the shoes start giving you jip after a few miles you aren't far from home to switch back to your old ones.  Good luck with it anyway.

• Options
    *Stoph wrote (see)
    10 miles. Thinking about it, my current pair are on their way out anyway so I might as well buy another pair and try them out over the next few runs, if they don't feel great then I can just revert to my old ones on marathon day I guess. Thanks for reply

That's what I'd do.  I really think you'll be fine.

• Options

Hey folks, I've been invited to walk up and down Snowdon this Saturday, is a bit much so close to the race or will it be OK if I take it easy? Would like to do it but not if it could put my run in jeopardy. It is my first marathon. Thanks in anticipation.

• Options

I say no! Not in training plan and different muscles....might be being over cautious but I def wouldnt jeopardise all my training....

• Options

I probably wouldn't Soozy...but depends on what shape you are in etc., and how important the marathon is and how important climbing Snowdon is to you...

Stoph - agree with everyone else. 10mi run plus a few short runs and they should be ready. I haven't worn my new trainers for much more.

Going to do last speedwork today, 3x1mi.

• Options

10 days to go...

I'm going to stick with the 5hr pacer! I'm desperate for a sub 5 and always go out way too fast and burn out. I'm thinking an even pace is the way to go...

• Options

I think you think right!

• Options

I can't help feeling that using a pacer is cheating a little bit.   To my mind, part of the challenge is to control your own pace.Having said that, I might well be trying to keep the 3.45 guys somewhere on my horizons!

Maybe that should be the subject of its own thread (though it's probably been done)!

• Options

Soozy- don't do it, it's too close to the race.

I did 7 miles this morning felt a bit better than my last run on Tuesday so I'm hoping the tapering is working.

Just got my GFA acceptance for next years London marathon today. Did anyone else manage to get in? 

• Options

I don't know Runny Knows - you've still got to run the distance at a certain pace. Just makes things slightly easier in dont' need to concentrate so much on pace and split times which can be hard as you get tired later in the race, but then again gels and sports drinks make things a bit easier too...

I am a GFA - although not sure if I've received a mag yet.