Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options
    Also thankyou Benjamin Kissel for the welcome too!
  • Options

Howdy CBW - The Wall will be my first ultra, though for me the deciding bit was easy, a few beers on payday and a handy debit card while trawling around t'internet. image

Training up to longer distances - been running the occasional half marathon distance, and a couple of 10 mile + per week, building up to longer as I go, just hard to find the time. Main worry for me is getting used to back-to-back running - after a halfie I usually take a day (or two) out to  recover - with two 35 mile runs need to get used to hobbling off on the next day. 

Still, inventing some crackers new routes as I go - for New Year's Day I'm planning to run from the lighthouse at the end of the north pier at the mouth of the Tyne to the lighthouse at the end of the south pier using the first runnable river crossing, the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel, for a total of about 10.5 miles. Tempted to GoPro it... image

• Options

Hi all

CBW - We're doing a mara in May (as prep - not  racing it that's for sure) - it's an off road / uppy downy one just for good measure (Cape Wrath). I'm right there with you on the sock stash - I'll be carrying extras just in case!

EKGO - hope you haven't just jinxed us LOL image  though I can cope with a bit of wet as long as it's accompanied by June temperatures - got very soggy feet last weekend and it was flipping freezing floodwater at that.  Toughened me up, I can tell you!

pbab - sounds like you just need to slow down a bit - you'll get the same endurance benefit but it does take extra time if you have set miles you want to cover.  The best bit of advice someone once gave me is that "walk is not a swear word".  Taking walk breaks can ease your muscles off and balance your heart rate (even if you just walk 5 minutes of each hour you should notice a difference the next day in terms of fatigue).  I used to be incredibly guilty of over racing halfs and then hobbling for days but slowing down even just 20-30 seconds a mile makes a massive difference if you want to then do something else the next day...

Headed out on the Peak District trails today - did 2½ hours of walk/jogging with the dog - could do that all day.  Oh that's right...I will be soon enough!

• Options

Crash bang - I've got Northumberland Coastal Marathon in March, Paris Marathon in April and Edinburgh Marathon in May.

I'm with Sleepy Bear on the wet weather. I don't mind the rain, it's the wind I can't stand.

Bees - Lighthouse to lighthouse run's an inspired idea. What's GoPro?

• Options

Sleepy Bear - Just had a look at the Cape Wrath mara, looks a nice scenic hilly route to do! 
    Weedy Gonzalez - They sound like some good marathons to be running! Guessing the marathon training has began properly for you now then! 

I think I may have to get one under my belt, although not sure the scenery will be as nice as both of yours! 

pbab - I'm thinking the same, having never ran that type of distance it feels daunting to be doing it twice in 2 days! 

Nice trail run over the fields today, got a little dark on the way back ... bridge over the ditch seemed to have moved ... nothing like a cold splash to wake you up! image

• Options

Have a great new year everyone.

• Options

Ditto from me. Hope you all have a good time.

• Options
    And a third well wishing from me!
  • Options

Have a good 'un folks - waiting to find out if Mrs Bees is still fancying a midnight run to Tynemouth and back before I uncork the whisky bottle...

Weedy - GoPro make head cameras - picked one up from Rat Race with the discount from joining up to enter the race. Proper good fun, and you can mount them on just about anything...  couple of examples I've shot here on my Vimeo page.

Think the lighthouse to lighthouse will be mint - especially excited at running through the pedestrian tunnel. image

• Options

Hey folks

I'm in for the one day .. completed London to Brighton in September which wasn't too bad despite getting lost a few times and adding extra miles (covered 62 miles for a 57 mile race!).  Looking forward to this one ... hopefully if we're just following the wall I've got less chance to get lost???

• Options

You can add me to the 1 day event. image

This is going to my first time at attempting anything like this, as my only other two races have been a 10k and the Great North Run (1:55)!  I have however spent this summer walking across America (2661 miles) with some very long days  walking up mountains, carrying heavy loads, so have some mental stubborness.  

I'm probably going to treat it more of a fast hike with some gentle running rather than a pure run as I'm just looking to complete the distance under 24 hours rather than break anyspeed records.  If I could finish within 17 hours I would be super happy. Guess I have to start training a bit! image

• Options

alasdair - that walk across America is an awesome achievement

• Options

Thanks Oscarr.  Yeah, I did it with my wife and it still hasn't quite sunk in yet.  Technically it was walking 'up' the US as we went from Mexico to Canada, through California, Oregon and Washington along the Pacific Crest Trail.

One of my side goals was to break the 50 mile mark in a single day, but unfortuantely this never happened.  So I am going to use this ultra to lay that daemon to rest.  Will be nice to attempt it without carrying a whole load of food, water and equipment with me though.  And as I live on the riverside, I am practically running home. image

• Options

Hi Richard - extra five miles sounds painful. On the reviews there were a few people last year saying they got lost on the wall run, so hopefully Rat Race lot will beef up the signs this time round.

Alasdair - America walk sounds like an adventure and a half. How long did it take and what kind of planning did you do for it. Is anyone following Jez Bragg at the minute? He's running the length of New Zealand. On day 22 out of an estimated 50 His blog's here 

Bees - that GoPro looks good. Park Run video just needs the Benny Hill theme tune adding image Clouds in the Spion Kop one looked amazing - you on holiday there?

One day
    Alasdair Fowler
    Alick
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    Gramck +1
    John MacKenzie
    Mr X
    Richard Langton
    Rockhopper Penguin

Two days
    Crash Bang Wallop
    Louise Hall
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pinkbug
    Pursued by Angry Bees +1
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

• Options

Happy New Year to everyone, Glad to see everyones training is going well.

Looking forward to the next recci in a few weeks image .

• Options

Weedy Gonzalez - It took us 163 days which is right on our planned target.  For training we just did as many hikes as we possibly could fit it, combined with beasting it in the gym for a year.  But to be honest, the only real way to train for a thru hike like this, is to do a thru hike.

I guess like an Ultra, once you hit a certain physical level you can do it, and it becomes more of a mental game.  This was certainly the case once we hit the halfway point, as it become mentally very challenging.

• Options
    Alastair I concur that really is a super achievement!

Weedy thanks for that link I'm definitely going to have a thorough look there as my Dad did a similar think a decade ago running,cycling and kayaking the length of New Zealand over a month. Was there at the finish line and it really was an amazing thing to see! Hopefully we'll all feel similarly when we cross the line in June!
  • Options

Anyone interested in having a play with a GoPro, I've just heard that LensFettish.com are getting some in for rental (they've just bought them, so they're not showing on their site just yet). While I've not rented lenses from them (or anyone else), I was unable to find anyone who'd rent me a GoPro when I was thinking of getting one. From the other photographers I know, I've only heard good reports about them to date.

• Options

Same as a guy on here! Garmin packed in after about 45, which may not have been a bad thing!! Signed up again for the 2013 Wall, one day! Some amazing people on it, great craic, mentally challenging, sense of achievement amazing! This may sound nuts, but I felt pretty emotional seeing people finish! Wow, what a day to look forward too!! Sign up if you haven't!!

• Options

Hi Magnus, you do the one day last year as well?

Alasdair - ever since reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, I've fancied doing the Appalachian Trail if and when I win the lottery. Maybe even running it image

One day
    Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, John MacKenzie, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin.

Two days
    Crash Bang Wallop, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

• Options
    Alasdair and Mrs Alasdair what a brilliant achievement! Another for the bucket list for when the kids leave home???

Anyone planning a spring marathon in prep for the wall? I'm struggling find one that excites me...
  • Options

RunningRaRa - will be, but making my own events up at the moment - half-marathons at the moment, places I fancy running to/from or between, also saves the pennies. Can see I'll start making up marathons in the non-too distant future... realised my mum's house is 17 miles away, that sounds ripe for a plod.

• Options

RaRa - main prep event for Sleepy Bear and me is the Cape Wrath Challenge in mid May - a full week of races finishing with a marathon on the final day.  Cape Wrath is in the very north west of mainland scotland.  Before that there is the Walk for All (running it), Coniston 14, Gringleford Gallop (21 miles) and Bramley 20.  On there own they will be reasonable prep but i reckon the biggest help will be the big B2B weekends which replicate The Wall better.

• Options
    Oscarr I'm very jealous! Is it wrong to actually write all these things down for when the family fly the nest ... After all the youngest is only 6! I'm lucky to have the time to myself for running. Lol

Bees I like your style. During prep for last years marathon I discovered that 14miles took me from home in Lancashire to the border of North Yorkshire. I even took a photo of a sweaty me at the Welcome to sign at the side of the road! (I had it as the wallpaper on my phone for ages.) Think I may get the map out...ideas brewing...
  • Options
    RaRa - it does help if you're retired and the nest is empty
  • Options

hi benjamin.just got back from a holiday had a great run down portsmouth coastal marathon very wet and muddy nice to run of road with this one ran about 3.45 very pleased with time and had a good finish.  rough n tumble 10 next sunday then gloucester marathon on the 20th jan .. happy running year have a good one..

• Options

Wow blakester that is a really good time nice work. I imagine in June you're going to be far ahead of me!

• Options
    The wall run will be so much different to complete in a day hope to finish before darkness sets in that's the plan got the born to run ultra in Feb that's 40 miles so will see after that.
  • Options

Something is telling me that this run needs to be done in a Roman soldier's uniform ... red cape blowing in the wind and a nice 'skirt' to let everything hang nicely in the breeze...

• Options

Hey Richard - quite right - everyone is doing it in Shoes shoes...

Proper Roman.