Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options

Incidentally, I'm a +1 too - running with my mate Jon from work. We are "The Dashing Accountants", no, really. image

Had a quick discussion about heading over to Carlisle, and getting there the night before might well be an option.

• Options

Mornng all - Christmas makeover complete with dodgy pun image

Bees - I briefly thought about going over on the Saturday morning, but I was going to have to get up at silly o'clock. I like my sleep too much for that so I've gone for Carlisle the night before.

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    John MacKenzie
    Mr X
    Rockhopper Penguin

Two days
    Louise Hall
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pinkbug
    Pursued by Angry Bees +1
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

• Options

the wall run 2012

/members/images/540947/gallery/img002.jpg

experts get ready go...

/members/images/540947/gallery/img001.jpg

please can i have a head start....

/members/images/540947/gallery/img003.jpg

wet feet after 1 mile super 31 still to go

/members/images/540947/gallery/img004.jpg

cant see any sun in this one weedy.. 15 miles in

/members/images/540947/gallery/img005.jpg

nice to see the wall bit hillier after lanercost run pass a few forts

/members/images/540947/gallery/img008.jpg

if you look at the back of photo its the stairway to heaven

/members/images/540947/gallery/img006.jpg

dont forget your camera..

/members/images/540947/gallery/img009.jpg

not far from camp.

/members/images/540947/gallery/img012.jpg

base camp top showers good massages book before.. have good sleep

have a look at the hills you will need your hiking boots after breaky.. top tip take some pots of  porridge for breaky..

/members/images/540947/gallery/img010_0.jpg

/members/images/540947/gallery/img013.jpg

race to the top.. only 3 miles of trail

/members/images/540947/gallery/img014.jpg

nice trail run then tarmac paths take you down to hexham..then road and tow paths to the bridges of newcastle gateshead.

hope this will help...

/members/images/540947/gallery/img005.jpg

• Options

Nice one Blakester - even though it's damp it still makes me excited looking at those! imageimage

• Options

Thanks for those Blakester. That hill looks a bit horrific - might have to adopt a walk-walk strategy for that one

• Options

Weedy the pics don't do it justice, it is not walkable, top 100 yards is literally hands and knees

• Options
    Hey all,

The pics look great and another thanks weedy for the route report. It really gives a better idea of what we can expect! EKGO that sounds scary when coupled with the wet wet pics!
  • Options
    It was a hard opening to the second half on that climb, i did it at around 5pm, it was a lonely slog, and being saturated from the first hour made it worse, I changed at halfway then got wet all over again, I ran from 7am through to gone 3am and never really dried out. My reason for doing it again is that the conditions cannot be that bad again and so I expect to take a couple of hours off next year.
  • Options
    My fingers will be crossed for you!

In terms of timing goals I'm also in the boat of not having a clue where I'm likely to be. I did the London ultra 50k this year on little training in six hours flat so I'd aim next year to hopefully be under twenty hours at least or hopefully even eighteen but I really have no idea I think the main thing will be finishing at all!
  • Options

It's really difficult to make an estimate, I aimed for 17 hours last year and did 20, I had previously done a 37 miler in 6:42 as part of my build up, I went on to do another 38 miler the month before the Wall so felt OK at that distance. I would say finishing has to be the main aim. Doing 38 miles (even twice) was not adequate preparation for 70, what happened over the last 20 was just sheer hard work for me. Others seemed to find it much easier than I did though so until you're there at mile 45 you'll not really know, just be ready to dig deep.

• Options
    First stab at trail running today didn't go as planned. Missed the trail I needed. Could see where I needed to be but to get there I had to climb a barbed wire fence, get through a calf deep brown bog, over a river, ( which I could hear but not see under the reeds!) scale a few dry stone walls and push through some prickly bushes! I knew I was in the wild when I startled a deer!

Bit hairy but good fun...think bit more prep...and a map next time?
  • Options

RaRa - people pay Rat Race good money to do runs like that! You should set up an adventure race company, could make a fortune. Deer spotting too, sounds pretty awesome. Rabbits is about all I startle. Altho once while on a run I stumbled across a couple doing things to each other that are best just left to the imagination.

• Options
    Haha weedy! By that I presume you mean team work getting a leg over turnstiles and a bit of navigation practice with the compass?image
  • Options

Hehe, they were going at threshold pace I'd say.

• Options
    Did you pick any tips up weedy ? ?
  • Options

Blakester - I'd say pacing's crucial. From a cursory glance, it looked like he'd set off too quickly. He'll have struggled in the latter stages I'd imagine.

• Options

Weedy the race report and pics were really good.  image

Blakester your pics were also great thanks, ohh that hill , i don't mind going up the hills its the getting down .image

Weedy great idea on getting a list together to recci the second section, count myself and Mr Amster in.

• Options

Cheers Amster

I'm free Saturday, January 26, for Lanercost to Vindolanda section if that's any use

• Options

Weedy thats sounds good, same again with cars if thats alright,

• Options
    Would love to join you but bit far from bristol . Its a lovely run you will enjoy it .how's the training weedy ?
  • Options

So jealous.... but a bit far for me too image

• Options

Sounds good Amster. Meet at Vindolanda at 11am?

Be great if anyone else was free to join us.

Blakester - training's a bit stop-start at the minute. Been having bother with ITB. Got 40 minutes of exercises and stretches to do four times a day. Running's been curtailed to 30 mins easy every couple of days. It's slowly getting better tho, so I can't grumble too much.

How's everyone else doing with training?

• Options
    Doing xc season at moment in Thames valley league then start Wall training in early spring.
  • Options

Blakester thanks looking forward to this section.

Weedy 11 am at Vindolanda sounds good thanks .

Glad everyones training is going ok

• Options
    Training going well again hope to run back from bath sat.then its Portsmouth coastal marathon on the 23rd .. Will start wall training after the born to run ultra in Feb.have good weekend and enjoy your running.....
  • Options

blakester  good luck with the marathon.image I ran 12 miles today and it poured down all the way but , got drenched but i had a good run and really enjoyed it.

• Options

Just starting to build mine up a bit - really enjoying the slowness of aerobic training - much more civilised I find - bring on the fat burning enzymes so that I may enjoy a rucksac full of cakes in June image

Does anyone else do any biking as training?  I find it hard to keep my pulse down sometimes when running so I'm biking once or twice a week to take bearing my weight out of the equation...

• Options
    Might sound silly Amster but I get a buzz running in the cold and wet can't run on those machines...
  • Options

blakester I agree , there is nothing better than being outdoor running, I always stop at look when i see deer and other wildlife, and getting full of mud while running through fields etc, its much better than going on a treadmill.

Sleepy Bear rucksack full of cakes yummy, when i did Connemara Ultra I had jaffa cakes think I will be doing the same in June.image