Options

Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hi, guysimage Sorry I haven't been on lately- been a case of run, eat, recover, run, eat sleep lately!!image Will catch up soon

5.7m recovery run this morning. This afternoon was tougher- 30 mins at 6.11 av followed by 10 x 400s at 5.45 pace with 200m recoveries. 1m warm up/ down either side. Could definitely feel Sunday's 24 and yesterday's sports massage- all good though image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Half a Mo ...

[Today's Brecon Beacons recce run report to follow.  Six 2000' peaks in central Beacons, some hardship, and vile conditions (30m visibility throughout). With faithful collie.]

• Options

oh no...I suspect something went wrong in TRex's training!image

Last minute preps being done for Saturday's ultra attempt..Run to the Castle. Hope its a nice day.

Panad..good news there.

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

oh goody a TRex tale

Good luck on Saturday Brer

very easy 3 mile forestry run last night with a new club member forgot the sss so i've been midgedimage

• Options

Himageey Chrissi..off to Aberdyfi tomorrow, hope forecast is good, oopps don't know why smiley went there..new phone syndrome!

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Weather's been ok today Brer should be having a good one image

• Options

.thud...what a grueller.41.76 miles of rock climbing.battling with wind. Tourists who were everywhere..but had a belting day! 4 th lady, crap time due to my usual navigational talents but am now an ultra marathoner!

• Options

well done Brer, not sure why you think your time is crap when you finish so far up the rankings?? 

Tried to do a run/ swim session and got cramp....in the deep end ooowwwwwww. 

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - agree with Camlo you were 4th lady in you first Ultra BRILLIANT image enjoy a well earned rest today.  And then we want a full report - the rock climbing has me worried.

Camlo - swimming is a dangerous sport image

Well i've just registered for TMW 2014 the full one image better go for a run

• Options

Well done Brer you did good x

May join you next year chrissi x

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

brer - the rate you're churning out difficult and long races, many I suspect entered at the last minute, and always doing so well in them is leaving me speechless

I'm back from from off the North Wessex Downs in more or less one piece this year, report to follow.  I am aware I'm building up a backlog of reports.

The race that will definitely produce an interesting report is now only 12 days' away.  

• Options

Hello team,sorry about quality of last post.New mobile thing is doing my head in. Anyway, on trusty iPad now. Well, the Run to the Castle event started from Aberdyfi and proceeded with 3 miles along the sand into a pretty grim headwind..good startimage. Then the route turned inland and we had respite from wind, markers were good and scenery stunning. Then it started to go uphill and even more uphill..had not factored this in but was going well with a couple who were fab at navigation. Lost them at one point,don't know where they went but suddenly realised I hadn't been taking any notice of instructions. So, quickly latched on to another guy who was great but lost him on Barmouth prom. I felt fairly confident by now as I knew most of rest of route was along the coastline...except I had forgotten about several detours which were in place to ensure the distance

• Options

So,we continue! By mile 30, I knew I was entering new territory in terms of mileage.Thunder Run 24 was big mileage but with comfort breaks every 10k,it didn't feel like an ultra. Legs were good and as a stroke of luck, I ran the rest of the route with a guy on a mission so didn't dawdle. Mile 40 arrived and Harlech castle was in sight but so was the incoming tide.What should have been a steady trot along a sandy beach turned into climbing over huge boulders which cost us about 20 mins. Howevesolo after about a mile of this,we just had to drag ourselves up some sand dunes and leg it for another half a mile to the finish...phew.41.79 miles...but funnily enough, after a ham sandwich and a cuppa, I reckon I could have run another 20 miles on easier terrain. Anyway..I didn't. I went catch the train back to Aberdyfi and 

• Options

Admired the beautiful countryside I had just run past. I consider this to be my first ultra,I learnt a lot in terms of being very careful not to under estimate terrain, navigation skills, pacing etc. I loved it but was continually frustrated by my own inadequacy with navigation and the reliance on others and therefore having to run to their pace. Sunday sees my next ultra marathon and this time,I will be better prepared!!

• Options

Holy hell,forgot to mention the nudist beachimage 'twas a bit windy to be shedding your gear..but a chap crossed my path with his collie but without clothes!!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

next ultra ... on Sunday, presumably this coming Sunday?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I didn't mean to say something unprintable.  It was meant to be this:

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

What's going on?

• Options

TRex - you aren't doing cross Wales are you?? Looking forward to those race reports but not if they also contain nudity like Brer's !! 

Fab effort Brer and lesson learnt for next time about avoiding high tide!? 

• Options

Brilliant write up Brer - you'll be competing with TRex for the craziest run reports soonimage

Talking of which, TRex ... where are you?  What's happened to your posts? image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm here - what of my posts can you see?

• Options

Several blank ones then I think you are back in againimage..next ultra is indeed on Sunday.Hardmoors 30 in beautiful N Yorks. CCamlo,did I read you were in prep for one?

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - How realistic is Run to Castle as a first ultra for someone likw me ???  Is it really hard to navigate (ok so i can recce abit first as not exactly far from home but navigation worries me) and would a very slow person get cut off by the tide? I thought costal paths normally had a high tide alternative? Were the hills big after barmouth?

Sorry loads of questions.

Going for my first ever interval/speed session tonight with one of the best runners in the club (does compete for Wales) all part of my plan for getting stronger and fitter (not necessary to get loads faster) so i a) finish all of next years marathons and b)finish feeling good

• Options

Chrissi,you have mailimage

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Thanks Brer x

Gulp off home now to prepare for tonights session image

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

So last night was 20 mins warm up then 7 x 200m efforts with recovery in between (was meant to be 8 but got chatting to another runner after 7 and had cooled off too much to do last image) then we ran about 1.5 miles to warm down.  Really enjoyed of i wasn't super speedy (about 1m7s per 200) but it was fast for me. Will definately do again.

working on a plan B now for if i don't get into London ruled out Blackpool marathon as don't fancy 2 laps so either Manchester marathon or wimp and just do Chester 1/2.....or...... do both ??????

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

T Rex- lost for words image