Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Very excited now.  Running a 10k on Sunday and hoping for my first official sub 40 of the year.  Currently learning a bit of German for this, a bit of electrophysiology for my new job and everything a bit of a blur...

I also have 3 new pairs of trainers and am trying to choose my Berlin pair... the adios boost are currently winning (feel awful running slow but really improve the quicker I run)

I know we are all meeting up post run, or at least intending to but if anyone fancies heading out site seeing on saturday I am looking for a bit of company (although less desperately than I have managed to make that sound!)

• Options

Ciaran - I guess a few of us will be meeting Saturday evening for food? 

Orbutt - had we decided on anywhere?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain - nothing decided yet. My nephew recommended Spaghetti Western for good food but poor service.

How convenient it is depends upon where people are staying.

It's in Torstrasse, which is just under 2k from the Brandenburg gate (as a central point of reference) and is about 500m from Rosenthaler Platz (U8)

More than happy to consider somewhere more central/convenient - recommendations/suggestions?

What I think has been decided, so far, is a photo call at the Brandenburg Gate at 7:50 - 8:00am on Race day.

Also, Brauhaus GEORGBRAEU for the evening session (what's the food like?) - medal wearing is compulsory image

• Options

Orbutt - the Georgbraeu's food is incredible. Proper Germanic fare. 

I'll have a look again for dinner somewhere in Mitte. I'm staying outside Mitte but it's so easy to travel the city it really doesn't matter. 

• Options

Is this an open invitation for photo shoot and after run food and drinks????????????????

• Options
    Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

I have this itching temptation to want to 'like' or 'favourite' posts here with a click....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Iain - i thought it was the pasta place? or was that for afters?

I've heard great things about the park in front of the reichstag (where we finish). Apparently its a great place to all meet up and have a few celebration beers.

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

....getting excited and hope I might also catch one of you at the EXPO (my support Team don't get the same thrill of attending this so they are allowed a leisurly breakfast)

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dawsey - Hell Yes !!!

Everyone is invited to both, it makes it much more fun

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

EHN - We'll be posting about the expo nearer the time. There are normally a few of us that try to meet up and have a coffee/lunch at the expo. I'll be with a few different people this year so i'm not sure when i'll be arriving.

• Options

Emmy - the park in front of the Reichstag is the perfect place to meet after, lie in the sun (hopefully), recover and quaff the (alkohol-frei) beer you ae provided wth at the end...!

I've just been out for a very tough 28k. I am going to be lucky to beat 5hrs - so I guess you'll all be waiting a long time at the end if we are meeting in the park!

Still looking forward to the trip... Just the small matter of the Great North Run first!

Ps. Today's favourite running song: Where The Streets Have No Name by U2.

'I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down these walls that hold me inside'

Marvellous.

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Great U2 track that Iain!  Time for a quick listen to the Joshua Tree I think.

Quiet week for me, 16 on Monday and have had three full days rest ahead of a 20 miler early tomorrow.  When the going gets tough tomorrow I can picture the beer and crisps combo I'll be having in the pub at lunchtime!

ENJOY your running weekends folks!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

This years main running track was "still of the night" by whitesnake

lso just bought my berlin trainers - Adidas energy boost again - comfy as hell

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain - love the U2 track. Had that in mind for next years Paris vid. 

I only tried running to music a few times and maybe it was a bad tempo choice but I ended up injured. I tend to sing, internally, to the rhythmn that I'm running at. 

• Options

Orbutt - great choice! I just find my running rhythm, such as it is, no matter what I'm listening to. Also I generally run solo. High tempo stuff works for short races but in a marathon, if something like Metallica comes on, it can genuinely make me feel nauseous!

Monk - I adore The Joshua Tree - any excuse to listen again is a good one!

Andy - I'll check out that Whitesnake track out.

Have great running weekends, everyone!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

suppose this is the really big weekend for us all, after this we may start thinking of dropping the mileage - good luck to all and let's hope we all get back without any injuries. 

You have all set me off as well annoying the missis with the guitar and the Joshua tree album now, lucky the neighbours are all away as the volume has been set to 11!!

• Options

Beautiful day- U2, great energy to get you started before a run

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

OK - I found some bits of footage, strapped them together and banged a tune over the top.

Here's a little inspiration.

(If the insert doesn't work - use this link http://youtu.be/w1jaDtJn2TQ )

• Options

U2 on my playlist tooooo. 

Horrizontal rain and gale force winds see all thoughts of LSR being abandoned. It may be intervals on treddie instead.image

• Options

lovely day here in West Wales and another 20 miler done.. 4 weeks to go soon be time to taper.. Hope u all have god runs this weekend 

• Options

I made it! 30ish kms! First lsr since isle of man two weeks ago. I'm happy.  My power song of today was rudamental - feel the love then Queen - headlong. Yeah! 

• Options

Orbutt - that is marvellous. Put a proper smile on my face this fine Sunday morning!

Have a great Sunday everyone.

• Options

My song for the day - iron maiden: Run to the hills

Some good running going on, well done everyone. I am on my way to a 10k race, hoping to get my first sub 40min 10k of the year would be a good marker that my training is working(ish)

• Options

Good luck Ciaran!

Running song for today for me: Bring It On Home by Led Zeppelin. Hit just as I was flagging this am.

4 weeks people! Let's bring it on home in Berlin!

• Options

ZZ top today! 

I have had to split my run today. So did 12km on treadmill this morning at 14km/h and I will do another 12km later! I know its not the same as a LSR but woithhorrizontal rain and gale force winds its the best I can do!image

• Options

its still good Kaz... and i approve of the Led Zepp and ZZ top!

i timed it great and ran 39:52 with only 1 blister. Going to head home to relax with a beer

• Options

Another 20m for me ethos morning so that is my five biggies in the book, might do one more next weekend then start reducing the miles. Happy as no problems at all and still felt strthe at the end - four weeks to go - happy days image

• Options

well done andy... its sounds like you will be flying the last few miles in berlin! I'm a little shy on my mileage and have only managed 2x20miles and been out on my feet at the end of both but in the last month taken 1min40 off my 10k time as it is all coming together pretty well... leaving me a little stuck between taking it easier and finishing well or pushing for 3:10 and hoping my speed carries me through. its a nice dilemma to have though and I'm really getting excited now!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done everyone on a cracking weekend of running!

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Well done everyone on a cracking weekend of running!

+1