Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Flying out from London City on the Friday morning and visiting the Expo early evening with a couple of others from my club, anyone else going to be around then?

• Options

Hi All,

Been some a couple of months since I last checked in, how is everyones training going ? Maidenhead Half this Sunday then it's all downhill until the big day. It's not long now...

• Options

Sir John - I'm on a slightly later flight than you.

I would recommend running with a flag on your shirt - you get great support and not only from the Brits.

I've got the same shirt that Emmy has as her avatar and I get great support.

Also recommend putting your name on your shirt for the same reason - really gives you a boost when someone shouts your name.

• Options

10 o'clock flight on the Friday morning from Birmingham.. Afternoon at the expo i think.. 22 miler this weekend then the taper begins.. Just over 3 weeks can't wait .. H

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Also recommend putting your name on your shirt for the same reason - really gives you a boost when someone shouts your name.

They actually print your name on your number whether you like it or not!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

1945hrs Friday LHR for me..Saturday Expo and Breakfast Run with 12yr old daughter ...and Sunday night drink and be merry (depart Monday 1810hrs with aches pains and a hangover) 

• Options
    Johnas wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

They actually print your name on your number whether you like it or not!

Atmosphere was really good last year and I got a lot of come on Team GB (due to wearing Team GB top) and when I got closer it was come on David due to my race bib. Got this from all nationalities which made the Marathon last year a really enjoyable experience.

• Options

orbutt -  thanks, im hoping the faster long runs will help me beat my pb, it all depends on those last 6 miles though, they seem so much longer after the 20 just gone by!

Iainmoore, i think berlin is going to be a different experience altogether from belfast!  The marathon itself in belfast i always think has good support at it, aside from the occasional political protest (2011 i think?) which is unwelcome, but that aside i always quite enjoy it! the route could be better (less hilly, no industrial estate...) and i would also agree that running through belfast on training runs has its perils, and there are better times of the day to do it than others!  Less hassle on a long run on sunday mornings than a midweek run after work...

hope the training is going well for everyone, taper must be starting soon now, often the hardest part in a lot of ways, mentally if nothing else, i find theres always the temptation to throw in another long one but theres science behind the taper that i suppose must be right!

• Options

Johnas - last year in Paris, they printed our names on our bibs too. In this case they asked if you wanted to put a nickname on - So, I put Orbutt.

It was brilliant but funny, when a French gent shouted "Allez, Orboot"

• Options

Had the same experience with my Team GB top - great support. Couldn't believe how many Danes there where though!

• Options
    David White 20 wrote (see)

Iain- Think I arrive around 12 local time, so I could meet you early afternoon if you want.

David - early afternoon at expo sounds great. 

• Options

hi all, 20miler this weekend then taper (12, 8).....big day approaching......1st marathon, 2nd race ever (only 10K once). Training has been fine so far (touch wood).

WHat do you guys normally eat the night before + quantity.

Considering we should be there around 7.45 -8:00am, what do you guys normally eat for breakfast (just porridge, toast/honey) and how long before the race???

Flying off on Saturday morning.

• Options

my usual poison leading up to a race is belvita biscuits and Farleys rusks - Carb tastic

Remember to take on water in the day leading up to the race to make sure you start hydrated. In the morning I take pots of porridge and eat two with some extra sugar in them.

• Options

Andy - taking the porridge pots is a great idea for pre-marathon, as are the belvita biscuits (I think I picked this up from you for last year!) 

Can't re-emphasise the fluids enough - really difficult sometimes particularly if you're travelling from all over Europe and rushing about that day...

They sell breads and Danish-type things at the expo, which I have loaded up on to snakc on the day before - and post-race fuelling. Can't wait!

Now, if only I'd done some proper training...!

• Options

Nearly neighbours then orbutt, I'm over in Oxton. I do a fair bit of running around Storeton/Landican & also Thurstaston. Are you doing the new Wirral Half/10k, 2 weeks after Berlin ?

We head out of Liverpool on the Thursday lunchtime, did originally have direct flights to Tegel but then Lufthansa changed it to a stop at Duesseldorf which is a pain. Fly home again on the Tuesday so a nice long weekend. Finally got round to booking accommodation last night, so all set now.

12 miler last night & hopefully a 20 tomorrow morning early doors.

Anyone here doing Snowdon Mara ? not sure what to do training wise yet, will see how I feel after Berlin.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Johnas - last year in Paris, they printed our names on our bibs too. In this case they asked if you wanted to put a nickname on - So, I put Orbutt.

I love my GB vest but it's starting to wear a little thin in places :/

spitfire51 wrote (see)

WHat do you guys normally eat the night before + quantity.

Considering we should be there around 7.45 -8:00am, what do you guys normally eat for breakfast (just porridge, toast/honey) and how long before the race???

I'll eat pasta with a plain tomato sauce. No protein as it'll still be in your system before the race. I'll have 100g pasta and a good helping of sauce with maybe a scoop of ice cream if i feel like it.

RE: Brekkie - it depends on your own system. What have you done in training? You should always try to replicate race day at least once in training - so if the race starts at 8 - you're ready to run at 8. I normally have it 90 mins before start if i can and then do a toilet break 60 mins before.

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Andy - taking the porridge pots is a great idea for pre-marathon, as are the belvita biscuits (I think I picked this up from you for last year!) 

Ooh - Belvita. I will always take porridge pots with me. Simple to eat and you're assured of what you're getting at the hotel. A lot of the europeans cannot understand porridge so if you just ask for hot water - you'll be fine!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Porridge or at worst peanut bagels for me (which I also have in bag for post Marathon)

• Options

i love them breakfast biscuits - packed full of slow release carbs and really light to eat - i eat the porridge in the hotel before leaving and then nibble on the belvita on the train to the start. I also have my own drink (usually powerade) that comes with me for the race (occasionally i will drop a coulple of glucose tablets in the bottle to disolve into the drink to boost the carbs in there). Whilst it is not the best tasting drink it is mine till about 22 miles when i expect to finish it. I will still take sips of what is on offer from the drink stations but only ever about half an energy bottle and a few sips of the water. 

In the Suite Novotel at Postdamer Platz this year so have microwave etc in the room - should be easy this year to make decent porridge.

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

I love my GB vest but it's starting to wear a little thin in places :/

RE: Brekkie - it depends on your own system. What have you done in training? You should always try to replicate race day at least once in training - so if the race starts at 8 - you're ready to run at 8. I normally have it 90 mins before start if i can and then do a toilet break 60 mins before.

Emmy - there's an Xmas pressie idea, if ever I've heard one image

Also, toilet break 60 mins before? Meeting at the Brandenburg Gate might be interestingimage

Porridge, Banana & honey with coffee and orange juice seems to be working for me.

KK - I thought about the Wirral half but thought I'd give it a miss. I'm in for the Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon next year, though, and I'll do the half in March.

Did you do Port Sunlight?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol. I'm trying to work out whether to stick to the 'normal' GB vest or try something newimage

It depends on the race and where my hotel isimage I'm relatively practiced in the routine that I can do it up to 3 hours before. There's always bushes right?

• Options

Didn't do Port Sunlight , will be doing the Rock n Roll Mara

• Options

hi guys, thanks for the dinner/breafast suggestions....I normally eat 2x toasts with honey or nutela and drink water before the run. I will eat porridge this weekend before my 20-miler.

We have decided to rent a studio in Berlin, as it is cheaper than staying in hotel. Saturday a trip to Lidl to stock up on food. We are staying 4.5km from the start place, nice walk I guess.

Big day is approaching guys!!!!!

***Guys do you know whether you are giving safety pins in the race official bag? Reason for asking is that I am flying Easyjet with Hand Luggage only***

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Spitfire - I expect that there will be safety pins in the bag but from what i've seen on the easyjet website they are not listed as a banned item.

• Options

think pins where in a tub at the desk where you collect your pack last year (someone may say otherwise) - i always stake pins on european marathons and have never had a problem with them on the plane. 

• Options

Spitfire - I've taken safetypins on Easyjet and they've not pulled me up yet

Emmy - if you find a nice GB shirt, with sleeves, let me know. I don't really like vests but it's the best that I've found.

• Options

guys, thanks a lot...I will take the safetypins in the cabin.....

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Lol. I'm trying to work out whether to stick to the 'normal' GB vest or try something newimage

BCRC top?

• Options

I've blinged my BCRC top with Union flags on the sleeves but that's for Paris.

I'll need the ex-pat support in Berlin so the full flag shirt will be out image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ooh... uk badges... what an idea!

Bcrc is the plan but im the ssme as orbutt and need support

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Spitfire - I expect that there will be safety pins in the bag but from what i've seen on the easyjet website they are not listed as a banned item.

Spitfire (great name!) - I fly easyjet all the time with pins in hand baggage, no issues.

Emmy H wrote (see)

The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)

BCRC top?

ITLR top! Emmy?