Options

Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

I do numbers too DK!!

ETA, average pace, number of miles left, time left etc etc.

I sometimes sing or chat to myself too - but that's when I'm out 'tootling' so I think I'll be concentrating hard on Sunday and will stick to maths

• Options

Singing is good and so is smiling - you fool yourself.

Seren is spot on - too late now, you've either done the training or you haven't and you'll either have a good day or you won't. Control the controllables - let go of the rest.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Smiling is spot on think Chrissie Wellington or Natascha Baddman she used to carry on smiling when throwing upimage 

• Options

during my first Ironman I was cycling along in the second half and was worrying because i was in a lot of pain.knees shoulders back etc...........

wondering how i would finish ......when on a big fast downhill I collided with a bee and got stung on the arm.......

I had to stop at the bottom and get first aid..wasting 10 mins or so.....I carried on but the pain from the bee sting was very very bad.........started crying on the bike.....and then realised that now i could only feel the pain on my arm...it had masked and wiped out all the other pains.........so there was just one to worry about..........that positive thought got me back on track and cycling happily to the finish

• Options

Knowing the pirates are at a feed station is a great movtivator for me because asyou go past they go mad for you, if you have a loved one or two there even better, you get to stop for a snog

• Options

I love all the pirates so that could be  lot of snogingimage

• Options

be selective in your snogging Seren. Don't want to be there all day and miss the cutoffsimage

I sing and count. There's a lot of numbers in an ironman swim thoughimage I also tend to get stuck on a song which is a bit boring after 8 hours and at the half I kept singing "slow it right down" which I didn't think was appropriate

• Options

Re hydration, remember it starts before the race, make sure youre taking plenty of fluids Friday and Saturday, also take a couple of salt tabs or put penty of salt on your food.

During the race if its 25 degrees plus, you may not notice how much fluid youre loosing but you need to be drinking at least 6 full bottles of drink on the bike course.  With the amount youre drinking / sweating you need to top up the salt as you go.  If I was racing id take 5-6 saltstick tabs on the bike.

• Options

Glad to hear it went well today Pixie, the worrying was for nowt! image

I've started counting my steps on the run which really works for me, but the down side is i honestly don't think i'll ever be able to run without counting now, lol!  It may send me insane, but if it gets me to the end of the marathon then i'll be happy.

I think i'm getting a cold though, arggggggg. So annoying.  Will just need to try and stave it off if I can image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I've never managed to drink 6 full bottles of anything on a bike course, including Lanza. I try but it just doesn't go in. 

Pixie - trust in how you've trained. Trust in your nutrition strategy. It's too late to sod about with it now. If it's hot drink more water on the bike, not more energy drink, and consider taking salt. If you take a gel in T1 then take one in T1. It's your race, your food, not mine or Barley's. You've worked out your calories so drink the energy you've planned for and drink extra fluid as water. The only change you may like to think about is salt. 

20 of us can all post different nutrition strategies. All of them are 'right' but none of them are yours. 

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I've never tried that. Maybe next time...,

• Options

How aer you feelign SA?

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

How aer you feelign SA?

+1

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

If I manage more than 3 bottles (750ml) I'll be doing well...

I'll aim for one bottle every 2 hours.

How does it work with the drinks at the bike feed station?

Are they bottle-cage sized or will I need to decant energy drink into my own drinks bottles?

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Southern Snail - I often get Queen's 'I want to ride my bicycle' stuck in my head

(which will also be inappropriate towards the end of the bike leg as I'll be desperate to get off the thing!

• Options
    K9 wrote (see)

How does it work with the drinks at the bike feed station?

Are they bottle-cage sized or will I need to decant energy drink into my own drinks bottles?

If it's the same as last year - which I guess it will be - you will be handed 750ml High 5 bottles that fit neatly into your cage. You will need to supply your own for the first 16 miles, which you throw away just before the first feed station - so use old ones!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

perfect.

Thanks Rafiki.

I'll probably take 2 x 750ml bottles of my own energy drink. Then get refills after that..

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

The race pack also says 'no earings'

This rule list gets longer!!

My earings are just little pearl things so seems a bit unnecessary to remove them but ho hum...

• Options

I've never heard 'no earrings' before - or maybe I've just never read the race pack that well?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

K9 - its often worth considering just having water to begin with - especially if you stomach gets a bit iffy after swallowing water in the swim. Energy drink might aggravate it. Just a thought 

• Options

K9 I can see their point if someone was mad enough to wear big hoopy earings in the swim they stand a good chance of having their earlier ripped open in the biff fest but the Outlaw crew are pretty laid back and I am sure do not mean small stud types, they have a pragmatic approach to the rules as anybody who attended the race brief last year when my mate the naked Dutch lady revealed she goes naked under the wetsuit and the strippers were likely to get an eyefull I think it was resolved with if you don't care then we don't image

• Options

Earlier? Earlobe! I hate this phone do what I fecking tell you to doimage

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Naked Dutch Lady??

Hilarious!!

Will think on the water thing Rafiki.

I'm sure I just used energy drink in previous events including the half IM and it was fine though

• Options

She's always getting her kit off its a bit embarrassing like on a Cornish beach when we have a cooling dip in our run kit and all you hear is a yodel and a naked cloggie is hurtling down the beach beach through the startled bystandersimage

• Options

RBM - if it's not too sacriligious, is there any chance of a *whispers* cheese/onion/potato type oggy ? despite my Cornish heritage I do prefer them to a traditional one image

• Options

There was only one serious Pirate injury at last year's Outlaw - and that was caused by an earring!! image

• Options

Fraggle i will see what i can doimage