Options

Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Options

might just be getting back on track

ended up taking a week off after the DIY half had a slight bug and didn't feel right, have got rid of that and come back with renewed vigour.

sometimes you just need that break

nice 11.5 mile run last night

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Lake was 12 degrees last night, that was fresh to say the least scared the coach by turning purple with orange blotches. But felt the happiest and most relaxed that I have so far so feeling far more confident about the swim now. Although I swam the least distance ever last night, only got 3 swims left before the half, eek. I really hope its warmer and calm one time so I can do the distance before race day.

• Options

EP I can't post link at the mo, its on YouTube, search iron wars and it is about 45 mid's long.

BRIT no training for 2 weeks, no work for at least a week because of the nature of my job. I will find out when I can get back to some training next week. I'm safe to cycle on the turbo next week. Doc wants a slow build up and not doing any more than one sport at a time!

• Options

RP,  tri IS one sport! 

• Options

are you swimming tonight EP?

• Options

EP you can moan but it wont help image it basically takes over your life for the training period which is exactly why i am having a break this year, occasionally and i mean once or twice usually duting cutbacks i rske two whole days off and just chill snd wslk the dogs although i still do the long sessions that week

TBH i think totally knackerd has been my default setting for the last 10 years image

• Options

Cat image tri IS one sport!

EP go get yourself a nice soak in the bath with a bar of chocolate and a glass of wine, works a treat 

• Options

that 30 min powernap will hopefully be enough so that i will be raring to go for that run tonight............

goodjob hubby woke me up or i would have slept till morning and noone would have any tea

• Options

Tiredness is a way of life when IM training.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Embrace the fatigueimage

• Options

lovely run with club tonight........will try and bike tomorrow and work out a route for sundays long bike ride

• Options

First OW of the season for me today - brrrrrr is all I have to say!

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Haven't dared any OW yet! Brrrrr

treated myself to a new helmet t'other day though and had a storming ride tonight, 22.5 miles at 19mph image Lucky hat is here to stay!

• Options

had a crap crap day today....was all dressed up and out on the bike but didn't manage a quarter of a mile.....

but things will be different tomorrow......hubby has the boys all sorted and so i am all prepared for an early start.and will get a long bike in...will hopefully do over the 100 as its been a few weeks since my last one

• Options

I've got my first century ride tomorrow! Its quite a scary prospect riding 100 miles

• Options

Morning guys...any tips on OW swimming in v cold water. I was fine last year (I think the coldest I swam in was about 13 degrees). I did my first last Monday and it was a little over 10 degrees and had a bit of a panic attack. Breathing was short and rapid, could not get my stroke going and ended up getting out after about 3 minutes.

I have the Slateman tomorrow which won't be much warmer, if at all, and I am stressing.

Any suggestions...anyone?

• Options

Stanners  - I am doing the Slateman having gained a late entry only this week (numpty I'm full of good ideas). Along with many others I am also concerned about the same issues as you.

I have included below the guidlines / rules for OW  swimming, I don't think the organisers would contravene these rules, but it is set to be shown on the TV, so who knows.  

I have asked the organisers if the event would be run as duathlon should the water temp be below the recommended limit, they have not replied. Someone else has also enquired as to the current water temp... you guessed it no reply.

So I suppose looking at the guidlines if the temp is above 11c then we should be ok. Last year the length of the full Slateman swim was reduced to 750mts due to water temp. 

Hope this helps. Good luck !!      

Water Temperature Max. Distance 

13 c 2000m
    12 c 1000m
    11 c 500m
    NB: Based on the above table the minimum temperature for a standard distance swim (1500m) is 12.5°c.
    9.5 At temperatures less than 11°C it is recommended that no open water swimming take place. The above are based on water temperatures alone and assume that the wind chill factor is negligible. If wind chill is significant swim distances may be reduced at higher temperatures.

• Options

More likely to have been cold water shock reflex than a panic attack. As long as the race is under BTF rules the above water temps should apply but if it's not it will be at the organisers discretion. Too late now but you can train yourself to overcome the effects of cold water shock. In the short term what may help a little is a neoprene cap - or at least two swim caps, understanding the cold water reflex and what is happening so that you don't continue to hyperventilate and progress to a panic attack and getting in to the water in time to overcome the cold water shock reaction before you start your swim. Good luck!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Having the same problems - Just done my 3rd open water session and after 400m was in tears. How can I do 5 times that in 2 weeks?  and the full in 7 weeks. I go with a very positive attitude, do all the things I'm meant to, start ok and slow and it actually gets worse. Today felt dizzy and everything spinning a bit. Am going again tomorrow and giving up a long bike. No point practising the bike if I don't make the swim cut offimage

• Options

Cheers folks...don't feel such a wuss now. Plan for tomorrow is to give myself plenty of warm up time, make sure I can immerse myself and control breathing before the off. Best laid and all that!

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

first 100 ride for me tomorrow - Castle 100 - bit nervous!

This was the point last year year that reality set in and after only managing 62 miles of the 100 quit and pulled out of Outlaw.

This training been far more consistent a few 50's and 60 mile rides under my belt, going to be a tough day, but fingers crossedimage

• Options

Another 2.4 mile swim. I'm going to be amazed with myself if I do complete Outlaw - after every long swim / bike or run I'm so tired I can't imagine being able to do anything else that day ... I guess adrenaline has a big part to play on the day ...?

• Options

long bike ride today..started the route by going west over the mountains.........the bwlch wasn't so bad from thwe other side even though its over 500m......lots of hills out.got carried away when i met up with some cyclist and di some miles with them......

found myself 60 miles into the ride and at Pont Abraham..which is where the M4 endimage

had a bit of a panic depresed moment.phoned hubby to ask him not to drink and stay on standby.....

had some food and cycled back with the benefit of the wind and a flatter/ underlating route.and manage to do the whole lot feeling strong at the end.......117 miles done at a fair pace for me.......

so glad there wasn't an option to bail at 60 or I would have taken it and felt totally demoralised....