Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

PS on the topic of hills, G and Nell, I felt having incorporated long slow hills into some of my long slow runs helped me greatly for the beastly ones at Loch Ness! Practice makes perfect.

• Options

I agree with regards the hills. I live in a hilly area so am forced to go up many hills during a run of several miles. To start with, I found it really hard going but as time went by you do get used to it. I would always advise someone to incorporate hills runs/reps into their training even if they arent training for a hilly race.

Ali - I've not decided which marathon yet. This time last year I got all silly and started booking loads of races. Then the ITB issue turned up and I ended up missing quite a few races having already paid for them. Fortunately, Mrs C didnt find out image I think this time I will decide nearer the time but Manchester might well be the one 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - regarding that idiot who jumped the barrier at Berlin, I did notice that he had a female running number on.  I wonder if they will be able to catchup with him via that somehow?  Having said that, I wonder if he actually broke any law?  I couldn't believe it when I saw it though; imagine if Kipsang had only been 1 second under the WR and that idiot had slowed him down and he had missed out!

I too am considering Edinburgh for my Spring marathon attempt next year.  My SiL did it in 2012 and loved it and wants to do it again and she is trying to twist my arm.  She got a London GFA time for 2014 but didn't get herself organised in time so didn't claim her place.  She wants to go back to Edinburgh to try and requalify for GFA to do London in 2015.

Speaking of my SiL, her and my FiL did their first sprint tri on the weekend.  Unfortunately, it was changed to a run-bike-run as the sea swim had to be cancelled due to bad conditions but they both enjoyed it.  My FiL picked up 3rd place in age category (60+) so he was very chuffed with that image  Other than for the London Olympics (Brownlee bros) I have never spectated at a tri before and my overriding feeling is that it seems very competitve.  From a spectator point of view there is lots of action as well due to the transitions etc!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - absolutely fab race report from you. Sounds like a tough course but you nailed it. You enjoyed it, finished strong and paced somebody. Great stuff. Just goes to show that getting the training regime that suits you and you alome is key. Probably why it takes all of us a few marathons to work out what works best for us.

And to everyone. Thanks for asking about the wee one. He is doing ok. He seems to be coping during the day. Finds the cast really annoying at night and every so often gets frustrated when he works out what games he is missing. I keep telling him that it will not eb long now but not sure he is buying that one yet.

Got a decent tempo run in tonight. 8 miles with 4 at sub 7:30 pace and getting progressively faster.

Berlin seems like a great marathon to run.

Found the rejection magazine from London last night. My wife had buried it not wanting me to be dissapointed.

Carter - great to see the mileage coming back up. Slow and steady I reckon. You have plenty of time to think about a spring marathon. If you keep going you should ahve a good base built up by mid December which is plenty of time to start thinking of a marathon training plan.

Nell - know the feeling about having those days where running just is out of the question. Tomorrow looks like that could be the case for me unless I get up at silly o'clock.

Big G - Alot of people say Edinburgh is a good marathon. Interesting choice.

• Options

Hi Guys, Yes looking at the profile again it doesn't really look too bad. But neither did the Haddington HM profile. I thought my lungs were going to burst on the first 5 miles of that! We will see anyway, kind of looking forward to it now after my 20 mile run last weekend...

Yes Carter I try to get a hill rep session in once a week, usually on a Tuesday. Although missed it today and just squeezed in a 5k run at the end of the day. You have lived in Edinburgh, so know you don't have to look far for a hill!

Hi Ali, Fraserburgh.....looks good but might not be able to sell that one. Wouldn't mind it to finish off the year ;0)

Hi Big_G you have put me in my place there that looks like it could be a challenge!

I have entered for Edinburgh next year, I think Ali is down also? I am contemplating the Paris Marathon looking into that one..... but fancy trying to break 3:30 on the Edinburgh Marathon.....if my poor old knees stand up to it ;0

• Options

Carl- glad your boy is OK! Keep his spirits up!

G- that was my thoughts too about Berlin. The rogue runner could have really ruined a special moment. Even though Kipsang still broke the record easily, he probably did feel upstaged and upset. Just not fair on a human level to do that to someone who has made such a huge effort.

I am indeed doing Edinburgh Nell and think that you should get in on it too G!!! I did my first marathon there in 2012 and loved it. Great organisation, flat course, very friendly. (Out of my 3 marathons so far, both Edinburgh and loch ness have been immensely friendly and social- only London lets itself down on that front sadly, despite 30,000 runners not a soul seemed to be interested in any interaction before or during the race...)

the only thing that was tough was the heat when I did it, 26 degrees and hot sun all the way, starts at 10 so you're running right through mid day heat and for some reason statistically it has been a regular scorcher!!! It puzzles me that the half marathon starts at 8, so most runners would be finished by 10, yet the full goes on right through the afternoon. I think it should be the other way round and remember observing this when I did it.

G I think you should enter and we could have a good old Scottish meet. Has anyone from this thread met at any races so far?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - that was the year my SiL did Edinburgh and she mentioned the same things about the heat and the start times. She did the marathon and her boyfriend did the Half so he was waiting around for about 4 hours after he had finished. She also mentioned it was a nightmare getting back to the city centre from the finish area. Having said all that, she loved it!

Am I right in saying that a 16-20 week plan can start after Xmas rather than before for Edinburgh? It may sound silly but that's a consideration for me too. When I did London in 2010 and North Dorset this year I did find it tough getting the miles in over Xmas/New Year (mainly due to food and alcohol consumption!!). 

Nell - apologies I wasn't trying to put you in your place!! You're right though that Dartmoor Vale isn't ideal for a quick time. I find that what I lose on the uphill I don't make back on the downhill. If I do it, I'll try and enjoy it. I only entered it as a focus for my summer training and from that perspective it's done its job!

• Options

Yes G same concerns from me but as with your SiL I genuinely did love the race.

G- nearly 20 weeks from start of year to date of Edinburgh... easy!  I remember that when I did it I only decided to do it after Xmas.  My dad had been ill with cancer and I had decided to run a marathon for Macmillan Cancer Support.  And it was definitely a post-Hogmanay decision!!!  That was the beginning of the obsession.... image

http://imgur.com/HEjDQ2P

Above is a link to a rather jolly photo of me at mile 18 of the marathon on Sunday... take a look if you want cheering up, I feel that it is an unusually happy photo for such a stage in a marathon.  I'm in front in yellow.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - Nice pic image  I usually don't photograph too well whilst running.   Having said that, my wife got a reasonable one of me on my last marathon within a few hundred metres of the finish.  I think I've only had one or two pics of me running where both feet have been off the ground (the holy grail of running picturesimage)  I tend to get pictured in a way that makes me look like I'm hopping image

I got 15 miles in last night which was fine, and I did it at target MP.  That's probably my last longish run before Dartmoor Vale now.  I did get some twinges in my left knee, which is a bit of a worry.  I had ITB issues in 2010 and the sensation was similar to that, but it feels okay today.  I'm doing plenty of stretching etc and I'll go out later on for a bimble around to see how it feels.

• Options

Hi Big_G, I was only pulling your leg, no offence taken in the slightest ;0). Yes, as Ali said great support along the route for Edinburgh. I was recovering from ITB early this year and think I started a 16 week plan at the beginning of Feb for the Edinburgh Marathon. I hope your ITB behaves Big_G. Get the ice in the side of the knee also, my physio swears by that to keep the swelling down.

Great photo Ali, looking good at mile 18!

• Options

Looking impressively fresh @ 18 miles Aliimage - one for the album!

Not sure whether I will do a Spring Marathon next year (unless I get drawn for London via the club places) however I am considering entering ballot for Berlin (ballot entry closes 16th Oct).... much prefer marathon training in the summer months!

Quick update on my week so far:
    Mon - 4 mls recovery
    Tues - Club session 10 x 75 secs @ 5.30pace (got promoted to faster group again - aaargh it hurts hanging on to those guys!) with 90 sec recoveries, Total of 5miles inc warm ups, interval session & warm down run.~
    Wed(this evening) - 10ml run with 4 x 1200m intervals @ 6.50pace with 800m recoveries.
    Rest day tomorrow, then 11mls Friday & Long Run Sunday.

• Options

Ali - you should not be so happy at mile 18, you should be running faster !! image

Big_g - look after the knee big man. Stretch, ice, foam roller and plenty of it. 

Nell - sounds like you've got your ITB under control. Are you completely pain free or does it still come back sometimes ? Mine isn't getting any worse but it isn't getting any better so I'm not really sure what the best thing to

• Options

G- good long run at MP. What kind of pace are you thinking of for Dartmoor?

nell- how long now till your race?

ricky- big week again for you... Taper coming up after the weekend?

i haven't run since Sunday, but have gone to the gym and done cycling on the spinning bikes a couple of times, just at low resistance but feel it's helped my legs loosen up. Am thinking of a small jog tomorrow then venturing to Aberdeen parkrun on Saturday as I'm still on holiday from work so have a free weekend to enjoy image

my HM I mentioned is actually 17 November not 11th so that gives me 6 weeks on Sunday to prepare. 

advice- does anyone follow training plans for HMs, or has done before? I never have, as I feel that I am able enough to just train 'as normal' and run them.... But as I'd like to make a good go of this one I might take a look at jumping in on the last 6 weeks of a plan if it was worth it... Any advice?

• Options

Ali - I've never followed on either but if I were in your position I would do something like this each week:

1 'long' run of 10 miles

2 'medium' runs of 7 miles

1 tempo run - w/u 1 mile, 3/4 miles tempo, 1 mile c/d

1 interval session - 8x800, 4 x 1600, 16x400, 4x1600, 8x800 with 1 mile warm up and cool down. 

1 taper week - 1 medium run, 1 tempo and 1 interval. 

I'm working on the assumption that you want to nail a new PB ?

• Options

Carter- thank you this is helpful. 

Yes I'd like to nail a PB when I am not training for a marathon. I feel that it is best to just be focusing on the one thing. 

I had success at Loch Ness but not really at the halfs leading up to it. I want to right this wrong before the year is up!

• Options

G- good long run at MP. What kind of pace are you thinking of for Dartmoor?

nell- how long now till your race?

ricky- big week again for you... Taper coming up after the weekend?

i haven't run since Sunday, but have gone to the gym and done cycling on the spinning bikes a couple of times, just at low resistance but feel it's helped my legs loosen up. Am thinking of a small jog tomorrow then venturing to Aberdeen parkrun on Saturday as I'm still on holiday from work so have a free weekend to enjoy image

my HM I mentioned is actually 17 November not 11th so that gives me 6 weeks on Sunday to prepare. 

advice- does anyone follow training plans for HMs, or has done before? I never have, as I feel that I am able enough to just train 'as normal' and run them.... But as I'd like to make a good go of this one I might take a look at jumping in on the last 6 weeks of a plan if it was worth it... Any advice?

• Options

Hi Ali, 27th october for the castles marathon. Not long now...

Hi Carter, yes the itb is under control at the moment. I have not had any problems for a while. I am a bit worried that with work lately I am not doing enough strength training....I think it is a case of once you have had it,you have to keep on top of it and it does take up a lot of time. I am hoping things will calm down at work, got in at 10 Tonight and looking at hill reps early tmrow morning, here's hoping!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - you are double posting again !!

Like the focus that you are intent on nailing the HM PB this year.

Agree that it is probably best top focus on nailing each long distance race during separate training periods.

I am running a HM this Sunday but as I have been trying to play catch up with my marathon training I am not really clear in my head about how to approach it. Training this week has been a bit hit and miss. Could not get out last night as I was at a work function so got a decent 8 miles in tonight.

I am toying with the idea of doing the parkrun on Saturday morning to get rid of the cobwebs.

It will very much depend on Sunday whether I feel right to go for it and try and get close to my PB (1:41) or take it a little easier and still have a good workout. It will be about frame of mind more than anything and the weather may play its part. It is wet and miserable here at the moment. Hopefully it will be dry on Sunday.

• Options

Carl: re the double posting I don't understand it, but... At least you know I'm not going mad now, my account does do this occasionally and I've no clue why!!!

whatever you do your HM in, it will indeed be a good workout and great training for your marathon. 

I hope the weather is indeed nicer.... Been truly miserable today hasn't it.

here, where's oirish?! Haven't seen him in a while.

• Options

Carl - while I'm dishing out words of wisdom here is what I reckon about your races. I think that you prefer the marathon distance and want to run well at Dublin. You have also found it difficult to train as well as I'm sure you would have wanted to. So, don't race the half on Sunday. There are plenty of halfs, albeit more local and smaller events, and it is 'easier' and takes less time to train for one. Focus on Dublin. So, do the parkrun on Saturday to blow those cobwebs away. Can you run to the half on Sunday to turn it into a long run ? If so, do it. Get yourself another long run in next weekend and go for a 2 week taper. Focus on speed sessions during the taper. You've got plenty of miles in your legs this year so I think you will 'easily' make it around Dublin. Come race day go for it. Set out for 3:40ish and just see what happens. If I may use Ali as an example, her training didn't go according to plan and look what happened to her at Loch Ness. What's the worse that can happen ? You have a bad day and don't break 4 hours. So what, there are plenty more marathons next spring. Anyway, that's my thoughts, hope you don't mind me saying what I think

• Options

Nell - good to hear your ITB is under control. Bloody ITB's eh........

• Options

Carter- great thinking and I totally agree!

Also with regards to doing halfs/training for fulls at the same time....
    Racing so many halfs in the lead up to my full, made me doubt my ability, because I wasn't running fast halfs.  But why should I have been running fast halfs?  I was training for a longer, slower run, and in the end it turns out my training worked just fine as I beat my goal and set a good new PB.

In retrospect I wouldn't have gone into the halfs thinking that I was going to do well and set PBs, because then when I failed to do that, I wouldn't have been so despondent.

The quickest half I did during marathon training was still 3 minutes off my PB.  But I set a marathon PB.  Now I'm done with the marathon, is the time to aim for a HM PB.  One thing at a time.

So yeah Carl, I'd say go and treat your half as a long training run.  One that you might find you run just a bit faster than marathon pace.  Don't worry about anything else and don't worry about speed.

• Options

Carl: re the double posting I don't understand it, but... At least you know I'm not going mad now, my account does do this occasionally and I've no clue why!!!

whatever you do your HM in, it will indeed be a good workout and great training for your marathon. 

I hope the weather is indeed nicer.... Been truly miserable today hasn't it.

here, where's oirish?! Haven't seen him in a while.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - regarding the double posting, is that on an iPhone/iPad?  I used to get that occasionally - the device seems to store the last post you made in certain instances.  If it's the same as what I had the device does dislay a message box saying something like "Do you want to resubmit the form?" (or something like that).  If you say No to that, it won't repost your message.

(Ofcourse, your issue may be different to what I used to get...in which case ignore the above).

• Options

Ali - are you posting twice again ?

• Options

Ali - are you posting twice again ? image

• Options

Ali - are you posting twice again ?

• Options

Lol.... Oh dear oh dear sorry all to be so annoying!

g- yes I'm normally on an iThing but haven't had to 'submit' anything recently (that did used to happen) I've just posted as normal then noticed later the double posts! But must be an apple thing! 

• Options

Hi Carter, yes the ITB is bloomin annoyingimage

So Carl what is it to be?

• Options

Got through the week so far, Tues 5K, Wed 6.5 miles, Thurs 5.5 miles and Fri 6 miles (hill reps......wowza!). Rest tomorrow and planning a 20 miler Sunday.