Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Good luck.

IJ & Jason,

Well done.

------------------------

No running for me as I've done something to my ankle & it's swollen.  I feel a walking disaster at the mo because a couple of weeks ago (a few days before I tripped over I dropped something on my foot).  It's very annoying as the weather is nice & cool at the mo so perfect for a run.  But I've been told not to do too much day by Chris & let my ankle rest.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, that is a fair amount of weight to carry, well done with the run when you're  not feeling well

OH, good news about the ferry would have been an uncomfortable night otherwise

Tek, another good run yesterday with the club

NN, glad you're feeling better, 

HM hope the run goes well today

IJ, great running well done with a new PB 

Jason, you're piling on the miles

NP, well done with the parkrun improvement, you. Must be fairly confident of a good performance at the games

------------------------------

16 miles in total yesterday with a parkrun sandwiched between, surprisingly I got a 6 second PB as it was very warm for 9:30, it certainly made the last 10 miles very interesting, will probably go out for a little recovery run later  

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN welcome back, glad you're felling better. Nice hill work yesterdayimage

IJ congrats on the shiny new PBimageimage

Jason good day's training again. Are you still losing weight?

NP well done on the parkrun improvement - enjoy the XC today

HM ouch !  Hope the ankle settles down quickly

Stewart - a parkrun PB in the middle of a long run !  Well doneimage

---

I slogged out my first 20 miler of the campaign this morning.  I had got up early to avoid the heat but notsolittleTek was ill and I couldn't escape until nearly 8am.  It's still hot here despite the rain overnight.  The run went badly (9:08 pace at 71%maxHR average), but at least I got the miles banked.

Weeks stats:  69.5m (+2m) in 10h11 @ 8:48mm (+0.11) and avgHR 70% max (unch).image

• Options

just managed a recovery tempo LSR. Bit of a mixed bag! 10.25 miles, starting slowly, then I met with a couple of clubmates and ran 4 miles at about 8:20 pace with them. Still kept a good pace for the last 4 miles (alone) back home. Pooped now!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Well done on the run, hope the notsolittleTek is okay now.

Thanks.  I've been on orders from hubby not to do much today (even managed to get away with taking out the rubbish to the communal bins).  With my luck at the mo I'm thinking about changing my RW name to Mrs Bump.  I think it fitsimage !

Stewart,

Well done.

• Options

good park run in the oppresive humidity 22:53 Long 20 mile run today at 9:12 pace felt comfortable

Stewart c Park run sandwiched between runs and a pb to boot brilliant image

• Options

Afternoon..

HM4 oh dear sorry to hear about the ankle, are you icing it regularly?

IJ well done on the pb in the heat, you obviously cope better with warm weather running than I do

NP very nice results in the parkrun, congrats on the overall and catagory position great running as usual .

Stuart nice running well done on the pb and long run, looks like training is  going well for you

Tek 20 miles !! and there is nothing wrong with that pace and HR !!it seems a life time since I ran that far well done, I gave my Abingdon place to my son , and glad I did with the lack of enthusiasm I have had lately.

MW2 you also ..well done on the 20, nice pace too.

Nice easy 6 recovery for me today around the fields, between shifts so being sensible, and it was raining !!! yipppeeee..still a little humid though will try for 14 tomorrow 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Yes I am.  Well done on your run.

Mel,

Well done.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on the parkrun PB and IJ on the 10m. image

Teknik/Mel impressive getting 20 milers done. I've not even thought about these yet!

AGF hope the camping and racing goes well.

Good luck with the hike Stuart. I hope you're both ok with those heavy rucksacks!

NN good to see you recovered. How's your sons training going in the heat? You're doing decent mileage for not marathon training.

Great result again NP on the parkrun.

Jason more good training, hope the marshalling went well.

HM4 take care of that ankle!

Did a short run Friday then another yesterday. The blister seemed almost better. Went out this morning early but the heavy rain started just as we got going. 12.7 very wet miles running through lots of water on the Great Glen Way so blister now much worse and has a friend where the blister plaster slipped to and rubbed!! At least the piriformis was fine! image 

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

HM4- hope the ankle improves soonimage

Tek- well done on the 20- you too melimage

IJ- ML tempo recovery-??????????? lol!image

NN- well done for getting out and good luck with the 14. Hope the mojo returns soonimage

Fiona- nothing like a blister to take your mind off your piriformisimage I would pop the blister personally, but that is a whole other debate....

I got Friday's missed 5.7m run done this morning before marshalling at Tenby 10k- great turn out- must have been 500 runners. Spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach in Tenby with the family in the sun. What a change this evening!! Almost cancelled tonight's run cos of the monsoon conditions, but it let up so I risked it.... Got 8.14m done and got home just before the heavens opened again- never seen rain like it either!!! PHEW- lucky escapeimageimage No long run today as my schedule starts on a Sunday (although I don't...) and it is a RECOVERY WEEKimageimage. Due to mismatch between my week and the schedule week, this week's mileage is a bit less and next week's (with the LR) will be a bit more... Weekly stats: 92.47m in 11.49.28 (7.40 av)

• Options

tried to find some compant for a 10 miler this evening - no luck - so i did it all on my lonesome and it was hard and completely horrible and ridiculously slow. also passed a dead dog which just added to the horribleness of the run - but its done now so thank goodness for that. My head and heart were just not in it tonight so it was tough.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason & Fiona,

Thanks & well done.

Channon,

Well done.  Sounds as though it was a tough run.

• Options

woke up feeling sprightly and very grateful for my run yesterday - despite my spirit not being willing yesterday, my body very defitely needed that. legs feel back to normal now. 

HM4 - yes was awful but i think mainly because my attitude to my running yesterday was rubbish. rubbish attitude seems to attract rubbish performance it seems!

hope your ankle gets better soon.

Tek - 20! thats awsome!

Jason - an afternoon on the beach with the fam sounds lovely

Fiona - ouch - but great getting your mileage done

• Options

Thunder Run Report

Well Myself and mrs AGF started Friday with a layin and some bucks fizz as it was our anniversary. A nice pub lunch was followed by a trip to the Thunder run camp site. Not to far. Doors opened at non but we got there at 4pm. By this time both campsites were full !!  Luckily they opened another field nearby. We were the first of our team of 5 there and cornered off a fairly large chunk for the otheres when they arrived shortly afters. Tents up, BBq's started. Lots of beer and red wine through to midnight. Lovely. A real buzz of anticipation about the even and a good % of the 2600 folk stayed over night before the start

Was woken up at 5am by Lulu. It seems campsites are busy places at night and she was easily woken, especially with the "festival" stye of camping going on. Mind you the early maorning walk with her was lovely. UP through the woods walking some of the course and lovely views from the top of the hill with the mist in paces on lower ground. The course in the woods looked twisty and bendy in places.

So a Fry up for starters. Lovely. We had a team of 5. 4 blokes whom all have PB's around 40-45 mins and one of the wives to run a single lap in about an hour to make up the team of 5.  I was chosen to start the comp for our team.

Noon approached and there was a real buzz.  The breifing took place and I got ready on the startline. Near the front but letting the speedsters ahead of me.

Lap 1: The course goes around the campsites and through woods, the odd field edge and bridle paths. all around the course was "equestrian" jumps - so I thing they do "eventing" there too.  It was that type of course too. The sun was beaming and there was support all around the course. I had a good start, people clapped us around the first lap. It was quite "technical" in places. By this I mean skiping over tree roots etc and twisty in the woods. Good run. Plent of underlations with 3-4 short sharp 100-200 metre hills.  Completed in 47:xx mins.  ( effort of 44 min flat road race )

Lap 2: Sun still out strong and paced myself this time. plenty of support still and BBQ smells around the course making me hungry. The course was getting familiar with the 2nd 5k being faster than 1st 5k due to terrain etc. Ran 52:xx

Lap 3: 8pm. waiting on start line the thunder was looming and it was getting dark already. Thankfully I was cautious and brought head torch for the wood. The batn was passed to me and the rain started. slowly at first but within 5 mins it was lashing it down and thunder and lightening all around. The hard ground meant that water was rnning down some of the hills like rivers. The grass was cambered in places and became slippy and hence footing became harder. The muddy sections were getting slippy but "ok" at this stage. Good fun - but soaked. (57:14) due to watching where I was running and using the head torch to be carefull in darker woods to avoid tree stumps.

Lap 4: 2 mins to Midnight. It had not stopped raining hard since 3 hours ago when I finshed the last lap.  I was soaked just getting to start for handover. A surreal feeking at change over with runners coming back warn - watch out - "I fell 3 times".  To say it was muddy was an understatement. You could/would surf on the mud on some of the slopes. Shin deep in places. log running in a bog. The woods the mud was slidng away form the tree roots making firm footing harder. I used a "skipping" technique in these places. high foot lifts to avoit triping. Its dark, dark too even with head torch. had to feel sorry for someof the "solo" runners as a Past them - some looked physically and mentally done it at this point after 4 hours of  constant heavy rain and hilly course.  A deep staisfaction of finishing without falling. Finished in 1;03.

La

• Options

Continued:

Lap 5: I found it hard to get out of "bed" to leave the tent after 2 hours rest. ( it takes 15 mins to get back to tent, 30 mins to fuel and dry, 2 hours rest, 5 mins to get dressed and to the start to pick up from the runner finishing. You have to be there early too to avoid losing time). The rain was manic for these 2 hours too. Luckily as I left the tent it dropped to a drizzle. By the time I started it was stopped. I had a 35 Min wait at change over as some of the lads in front of me had got slower ( 1:20 ) due to course conditions. There was mist too now. Almost impossible to run in places. standing was a challenge. Passed quite a few "broken" people - mainly mentally broken. However the day was dawning and light was appearing. It was geting easier to see whats in front. This helped - lots !! Finished in 1:05.Not bad as some of the puddles were above the knee, and the bottom of the hill in 8KM were now "swamps" and running in water above the ankle.

That turned out to be my last lap. I could/would have done more but we let one of the other wives have a go too and lap times were getting slower within the team.

In short an excellent weekend. Had there no rain we would have done more laps - but the harsh conditions almost made the weekend. Lots of camarade with competitors and would recommend to everyone to have a go. We had a good team, supportive and similar outlook. Everyone stayed safe and enjoyed it.

I admit that only 5 hours kip the night before did not help - but realistically I felt "strong" in each lap - eg legs still had power in them when needed. The limiting factor was not tiredness, out of breath, fatique etc - but the conditions of the course itself. I did not fall once so maybe I was a little cautious in places - but better to finish safely and run fast in the sections that allowed it.

Went to bed at 5pm last night - and slept through and slept well image

• Options

wow, AGF, sounded like an amazing run! one of my clubmates was going to do it, but her team pulled out a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to do something like that some time!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

AGF- wow! Great report- sounds like hell! lol!image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ well done on that 10.25mimage

HM thanks and LoLimage.  Hope the ankle is a little better today

Mel nice Parkrun and well done on the 20 miler

NN nice 6m recovery

Fiona ouch, another one !

Jason good planning ! Great stats again for the weekimage

Channon well done on the 10 miler - glad you're feeling better this morning

AGF super report !  Great running, sounds like a fun weekend !image

---

Just a little 3.5m recovery this morning at 66% maxHR. 

• Options

Evening..

Fiona ..yes lots of mileage has never been a problem for me I enjoy it, its when it come to proper tempo runs/ speed stuff I slack, lots of comfort zone stuff for me.
    Hope the blisters heal, annoying but a minor irritation compared to the piriformis, my son lives in the south east and its been even warmer there, he text to say he was heading out for 16 yesterday and not looking forward to it,Abingdon will be his first marathon,

Jason, well done for getting out between the downpours although a bit of rain was very welcome on my run today.

Channon, we all get days weeks like that, I know exactly what you mean when running becomes a chore, been there myself during this hot humid spell, as for the dead dog thats sad and reminds me of a dead deer a few months ago on my regular route,, I ran past it most days, watching the gradual stages of decay..yuk !!

AGF congratulations on the annivesary and what a great report, I enjoyed reading it, sounds like a fun socialble time for all

Tek nice little recovery run..

I got up after 4 hours sleep today and headed out for 14ish, hoping my head wouldnt overrule my body and tell me not to bother..anyway things went well, a light rain shower but still pretty humid, a hilly 14.25 miles in 2.17 AVE hr 71% nice and low

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice running NN. I'm much the same at the moment, shying away from anything faster! image 

Teknik nice recovery run.

AGF loved the report, sounds tough with horrid conditions underfoot, well done to you and your team! image

Great that you got the 10 miles done Channon, always feels good when a tough run is done. Shame about the poor dog.

Jason I think we have some of your monsoon up here at the moment! Nice that you did some marshalling and got to the beach. I usually stick pins into blisters especially when under toenails! Have left this one for now.image

No run today as I gave blood and felt a bit wobbly so a nice evening meal of venison and veg. image

F

• Options

Fiona, senslble not running,  good on you for donating , I hope they made a fuss of you and gave you tea and biscuits after image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Sounds like a good weekend.  Well done.

Tek,

It does seem a bit better however still niggley.

Fiona,

Sounds like a wise decision.

-------------

Well done on everyone's training.  We had a lot of rain last night and it looks like the weather has broken as it was 18C on the way home tonight (7ish).  Lets hope it's cooler than that during the night.

• Options

HM4 get some volteral gel I used it when I had my tendonitis, its great stuff and will reduce any inflammation

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- well done for giving blood. Like NN says, good decision not to run too. Expect your HR to be a bit higher when you do too until you make up the lost volume.

7 5m of a hilly loop today, sports massage and 10 mins of core work with the medicine ball- felt much longerimageimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

There was certainly a huge plate of biscuits NN, they are nice folks there.

Interesting on the HR Jason, makes sense. Well done on the core work - reminds me I should do some! image

• Options
    Just catching up a little since arriving in Lombok, appologies if i miss anyones running recently.

Jason - another super weeks mileage , well done

Channon, well done on getting through the 10 the other evenning

AGF great report , that sounded pretty challenging !

Tek , nice 20 there

NN well done on your 14 after just 4 hours sleep

Fiona good for you on blood donation

Now here on third day of holls, managed a 50 min , approx 5.5 m ( didnt bring garmin ) run along the beach at sunset which was amazing but really hard running on sand, decided to run in trainers instead of barefoot to try and avoid injury, very very hot here even then. The recent warm weather back home certainly helped acclimatise!

Hope to repeat each day to keep ticking over along with trying to improve my swimming technique!
  • Options
    If anyone wants a good holiday book on training and exercise try 'The First 20 Minutes' by Gretchen Reynolds . A good read about exercising better and smarter.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on the hilly 14.25m - nice HR print on so little sleep !image

Fiona well done for giving blood - the meal sounded lovelyimage

HM the heavens opened up over here too

Jason well done on the hill work and medicine ball - I must get back to those press-ups

MG well done on the beach run - hard work !

---

14.9m MLR this morning - 5m on the road on my own, 6m through the woods and park with the club, then 4m tarmac home. Averaged 71%max and just under 9mm pace. I pushed the last couple at around 8mm without the HR exploding, so happy with that.  Absolutely drenched but glad it's a lot cooler.image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Thanks.

Tek,

It looks like it's starting to warm up a bit.  One thing I love about UK weather is it's always a source of conversation!

------------

Well done on everyone's training.  Can't wait for the weekend as no decorating because the cat's going to the vets for her annual jab so hopefully I'll get out for a run. (Providing she doesn't get any reactions to it - although the vets have changed what they give her so we should be okay.)

• Options
    first (intended) run of holiday - last 15 miles of the West Highland Way today. Good but tough going.

Also some sea kayaking and a bit of hill walking.

Some good training going on Tek

JSN MG1 NN ...