Options

Valencia Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I think I can speak for Pottermoss as well as my self when I say we will deffo be on for post race beer quaffage 

• Options

Just back from Frankfurt and looking for next years Autumn effort. Valencia is a good possibility but I can't find any info on the profile. Does anyone on here have any idea?

• Options

Found it! Very tempted now for 2014. Hope everyone has a good race this year

• Options

Keep this thread going please boys, I too have just done Frankfurt and this one is getting pencilled in for 2014 so I would appreciate your race reviews, accomodation tips and post race party advice.

MC Dave were you they guy who started the Frankfurt marathon with the broken arm?

Good luck to you all doing it this year.

• Options

Not me PCleasby. Although I might have broken my arm shoving the encroaching crowd off the road in the first few k's. How did you find Frankfurt? I thought the course was good in the right weather but the start was chaos. I saw the guy who finished last and he was a starter in the first corral - Madness.

Valncia looking very likely for me next year so will start a thread after this years race

• Options

I found Frankfurt the same as you really. Too cramped at the start and failed to get into a comfortable rythmn, I did it in 3:08 10 mins down on my pb. I thought I was in 3:05 shape but perhaps I had been kidding myself. 

I'm heartened to hear that there are bottles on the Valencia course, I hope that is right, it just makes things that bit easier.

• Options

Holy moly, have you guys seen the weather out there? A few days before the race they are preeicting day time temps of 31!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31!

That's insane!

• Options

That would not be fun!!!!

Just had a look at a 14 day forecast says low of 10 high of 18 for 17th.

It has been unusually warm here in the Balearics throughout October and into November but is cooling down now. I honestly cannot see the temp being above 20/21 by 12:00..

• Options

I hope so, I am very much a cold weather runner, set PBs in the snow but the blazing sun!

Hope everyones' taper is going well, did my final half at the weekend at a pleasing pace and now looking forward to two weeks of light running before the race and week's holiday in sunny spain afterwards!

• Options

Just read some interesting stuff about the effect of heat on mrathon performance;

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Impact_of_Heat_on_Marathon_Performance

Over the past few months it has been really hot making training hard work. Looking at this data, the actual effects are far more than I imagined.

A nice cool Valencia morning like last year would be perfect image

• Options

would be nice if it were cool and clear ....

just picked up a few euros, my gels from Runners Need, got my airport train tickets, printed off easyjet boarding passes. took it fairly easy at the weekend, did a 10 mile tempo at m.p at 7m12s average saturday. Similar planned for this weekend and a couple of midweek runs as well. Bring it on! nearly there peeps .....

• Options

Train tickets - well reminded Jimbob!

• Options

Hi all I am running the marathon too.  I have just got back from Valencia last night, and the weather was HOT ( 28 + every day ).  Bit worried about how it will be on the big day.  It is a lovely city and there were posters up already about the marathon. 

• Options

ouchie, Venice hurt, my taper is simply recovery so far - hoping its not too warm, Venice was particularly exhausting and I think the temperature didn't help - fgots to get train tix sorted and YES am up for the after quaff, I'll no doubt be last in so you can just line em up image 

there's a Saturday night paella with my name on it

• Options

Just started packing my bag. Have loaded up 8 gels-4xSIS Isotonics, 3xGU carb gels and a power bar carb gel. Some other fueling options and a mini portion of marmite. Need to wash kit and choose a few options. Don't forget your porridge pots peeps. I will bring 2. Grab some lucozades sports drinks as well in the departure lounge at gatwick. One for the Saturday night and one to sip on the morning of the race. Foil blankets, if you have one from a goody bag from a previous race are good to have on board. Headphones. Also, I'm running with my passport, boarding pass and wallet so have an extra belt/bum bag thingy to accommodate those. Worth wrapping those items in plastic bags so they dont get splashed by sticky liquid or rain ..... yes i'm on one, but I need to have it all covered so I can enjoy the race! image

• Options

Wow Jimbob, that's a lot of gels - is it all for the race? If I took that much I would have to have a few loo stops!

• Options

ha ha - i'd probably use 6 or 7, but you never know - around the 22 mile mark one might be in mental turmoil. Quaffing a gel may become an option ofr easing such turmoil. Plus, with the 4 isotonics, i can avoid a lot of drinks stations (depending on conditions) - the 4 isotonics will definitely get used up.

• Options

Sounds like a tough one, pottermoss? How was Venice route wise? Would love to go back there after a visit with wifey many many years ago, nothing beats the excuse of a race for seeing the world image

Gusts of wind up to 60mph around Valencia today, I remain optimisitic the 14 day weather forecast I looked up is correct max of 18 on the big day image

Marmite....noooooo

• Options

The BBC is currently saying 31, but Metcheck has it at 16 - essentially I want around 10 degrees, with a slightly breeze from 9am to around 1pm ish. Then a week of sun for my holiday. Come on weather, get your act together!

• Options

Marmite - YES YES YES and more YES!

Hope everyone enjoys and the weather gods are kind. Looking forward to the reports and already excited for 2014!

• Options

the Venice route is pretty easy to be honest but unusual organisation for me. Got buses out to the start because it starts on the mainland and is largely flat, first half small towns coming out to support, all good. None the less I really struggled about 25- 34 through mestre and a big park, then the bit everyone said was bad, the long bridge to Venice and then all the ramped bridges and pontoon, were not so bad, I got back in a rhythm. Beautiful surroundings for the ending but really I wasn't taking too much in. Like you say, great excuse to visit a beautiful place. And a medal I really earned.

Jimbob, that message is going to serve as a checklist.

marmite yes, cool weather yes

• Options

Dropped out of this thread for a while but glad to see that I am not the only one getting excited about Valencia! I did Budapest a few weeks back and probably should have taken more of a rest afterwards before firing back up in prep for Valencia but as it's my last race of the year there's no much to lose in going for it still.

Going solo for this one so would be delighted to join any post-race beer orientated celebrations if at all possible? 

• Options

Must admit, getting slightly concerned about the weather now. Went to a bonfire here in Ibiza last night, it was positively tropical image Today it's 27oC, fingers crossed we get a big change in the weather.

• Options

i might run with a water bottle if its going to be boiling - which will be slightly annoying ... if it is warm i'll be sipping every km

• Options

Might be worth carrying some electrolyte tablets to drop in water bottles on the way round if the temperatures stay up there.

• Options

in these warms temperatures you guys just make sure my line of estrellas stay cold 

• Options

Just had a look at Metcheck, and they have a maximum temp now of 16 before lunch time, while the BBC has kncoked their back to the days high of 25, so it is improving!

• Options
    Hotel and flights booked... going from Gatwkck... So a 3 hour drive but it's a direct flight.... this is going to be my best chance of a PB I think... ! Can't wait!!

I have printed off my entry... But I see no information on collecting number or chip etc? Where do we collect from??!! Is there an Expo thing??!!

Any info appreciated...!!
  • Options

Travelling out Friday from Gatwick - Jimbob thanks for the great checklist, just to confirm I tend to use about 7 gels during a marathon, every 5k or so. Looking forward to it and hopefully this horrible cold will go

Any news on a hostelry for Sunday night?