Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

MIne was tough but ok. Kept the pace for the 14mi between about 6.20 and 6.50min/mi...mostly towards the slower end. Know what you mean about these mp runs actually destroying any confidence about maintaining such a pace for over 26mi...but...P&D knows best I guess. Recover well tomorrow.

• Options

That sounds like a pretty good pace to me...

I guess we just have to remember that for the marathon we will have a taper and the excitement of being in a race and better nutrition so I'm sure the race will feel very different. But then I am an optimist!

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

I'm now sleeping for Britain! Think I'm getting physically and psychologically prepared! Exhausted on Saturday night so bedded by 9.30 and slept for a good 10 hours. very bad headache yesterday afternoon so took a nap and slept another hour. Then an early night for another good 8 hrs! Being a Saturday marathon I'm a little concerned about being tired after the week at work!

• Options

16 at MP yesterday, and totally agree with your comments about feeling like another 10 at that pace was well out of reach! Phil's right though that Race Day will always be quicker - from past experience I think that if you can do your longest run (say 22 miles) at 15s per mile slower than your intended race pace then you'll be fine. That's not to say that you should do your long run that fast, but it can be used as an indicator if you want.

• Options

image Running 22 miles at just a fraction below race pace sounds a little crazy to me!! I thought that P&D was all about recovering well and putting in a solid effort during the next week's training?  If I ran 22 miles that fast in training I'd be fit for nowt for a while.  Speaking of crazy, where's HeOw these days?

Joking aside, welcome RI - if you can manage that session then you'll smash it on race day, I'm sure.  Which mara are you doing?

Well done on the run Phil.  I'm dreading that session so I'm doing it as part of a 20 mile race.  Of course I won't be racing though, just doing 6 as a warm up and then trying to get 14 as near to PMP as possible.  Not going to push for it though as it's a very hilly course apparently.

Clag - get as much rest as you can, sleep is good!  Try and take it as easy as you can at work.  Doesn't your boss know you have a marathon to prepare for?! image

• Options

Osterley parkrun for me this weekend as I couldn't find a Saturday 8-15km race, about 30secs outside my PB but it was Osterley inaugural run and it was packed and I had to stop twice because of congestion on the 3 lap course. 10mile home with the last 5 at MP so happy with that.

Then 18m long run yesterday which felt good.

Good work Phil, 15West and RI, it refreshing to hear you are finding 14miles at MP a struggle as I think I will be the same this coming weekend as I have my 14MPM coming up this weekend (in the middle of a marathon)

RI - if you can do 22m at 15sec slower than MP then you are very nearly there, sounds a bit much in training though for me.

• Options

15W you were wrong! The holiday hasn't done my running any good at all! Half marathon yesterday was not the confidence booster I was looking for.image 4 mile warm up was good and I felt up for 13.1 miles at MP but after 6 miles I was knackered. I managed to finish but my average pace was well off MP and my HR is still far too high. There's no way I can contemplate running Chester if I'm going to feel that bad and I don't want to take 5 hours to finish either. Thinking I may bail out now, have a couple of weeks off, find out my blood test results (not until 17th Sept - that's 6 weeks after the tests!) and concentrate on some shorter stuff over the winter.

And I want to go back on holiday! image

• Options

The marathon pace stuff doesn't sit well with me.  I know it's what P&D prescribe, and presumably good for some...  but I think it's pushing too hard  Especially if it ends up destroying confidence!

I did 20.3 miles yesterday... at 10 minutes p.m.  ... but just did my 18th mile at 8-45 race pace to give it a crack for a single mile whilst tired.  Did it OK... though my 20th mile was hard work.

But you've got the taper at the end, the 'perfect' nutrician to get you into peak condition.  For me, I won't be doing any marathon pace runs for long distances.  I've done a few where I've gone MP+20s  - that's one place where I deliberately stray from P&D.

• Options

If you can recover from the MP run in a few days then surely it has got to be a good workout?

Despite feeling shattered for 3 hours yesterday after the MP run I feel OK today - just sleepy! Bring on some speed work tomorrow!

• Options

Oh, sorry about that acp! I would have thought a week off would have not affected your fitness at all, and would enable your legs to recover from all the running so far. Like a pre-taper taper. I would just keep training/running and following the schedule if you can, maybe you're just a bit rusty and have got post holiday blues?

I've got a half this weekend which I'll probably, hopefully, just run it at mp...or thereabouts.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

All this talk of marathon pace is a striking a chord with me. Now getting into panic mode! I've only done the 12 week plan, is it enough? Also concerned that I won't be able to sustain the pace I want, as my long runs have been around 9:30-9:40 ish and ideally I want to run 8:45 ish. Time will telI I guess! 

The other thing is whether to run with my 'virtual partner' on my watch, and if I do what pace do I make him run at? aargh! The sooner Saturday comes the better!

PS. I have said at work that all I'm concerned about is getting to the weekend fit & healthy. Everything else can wait! image

• Options

Taper madness Clag. Stick to the plan.

• Options

Thx for the kind words! For the record, I haven't done 22 at MP-15s yet!! Still 7 weeks to Race Day (tentatively Leicester on Oct 13) so a little way to go. On post long run recovery, I now routinely use PowerBar Recovery Drink as soon as I finish the session. Can't believe what a big difference it makes. I can now pretty much always go out and do a recovery run the next day, nice and slow, then be OK for my weekly  interval session on Tuesday. Does anyone else use it?

15West I couldn't agree more - if you have a plan Clag, stick to it! If nothing else its only by seeing the plan through that you'll learn what works best for you.

RI

• Options

Start of week 11/18 and one of this weeks dreaded sessions done.... 18k with 11k at HMP... turned out ok in the end image 11k at 4:16/km pace didn't feel too bad... I didn't collapse in a heap at the end of the 11k and end up limping home so something must be working.

Still the 32k on Saturday morning looming.

@RI - I always have a recovery drink after sessions of more than an hour... seems to help me too... it's tough to shovel enough food in after a run.. the drink is easier.

• Options

5x600m intervals for me today - jogged outside for about 5mi and then did the intervals on a treadmill.

• Options

I've missed over three weeks of the plan due to injury and there's only just over a month until my planned marathon on 6th October, so I'm going to pull out.I've contacted the Jersey Marathon's organisers to ask if I can defer until next year. 

Gutting because I've been training for it for ten months. For most of those I've been a taper away from my first sub-3hour marathon.

Not being able to run has been really depressing, not so much because I won't be able to run my planned race,  more that losing fitness is making me feel physically ill. I feel like I'm dieing.

I ran today for the first time in ages -just half an hour. There's still a niggle, so I'll wait to see how things feel tomorrow. When things are getting better I'll run the post marathon recovery phase from P&D to get the mileage back up.

Next stop VLM2014. 

I'll pop in now and then to see how you are all doing. I hope your autumn campaigns are successful. Best wishes image

• Options

Sorry to hear that news andrews.... I know how depressing being injured can be and I sympathise. Recover well.

TBH I'm not that convinced about P&D for your average (older) runner... I'm sure the survival rate is low... I certainly won't be putting myself through training like this again.... next time I'll see what is possible off the back of some IronMan training, which I find a lot less stressful on the legs.

• Options

woah andrews - that sounds a bit heavy. Surely there's something else you can do to keep your fitness up? Hope your recovery goes well and hopefully will be in touch on other threads leading up to VLM...

• Options

Surprised at that decision, andrews... but you know yourself a lot better than I do!!

4 weeks isn't that long, for someone who's been preparing for such a long time.  I'm sure P&D advise that you could still do it... but just revise your target a bit.

If you feel that you can't do yourself justice, and that 3hrs is everything... is it really not possible to find a marathon in late October, or November?  If you can, and can afford it, then you'd have plenty of time to pick up ALL your lost fitness.  You might even find that the enforced rest has done you good. After 10 months of hard work, you deserve it!

Whatever you decide, good luck!  And good luck at vlm.

• Options

Hello all. 14mi for me today.

• Options

well...my 14mi was not the best tbh. My garmin battery died after a couple of miles so had to guess. I also had a stomach ache from the start which got progressively worse and felt a bit rough by the end. The way my stomach is sticking out now I think it may be trapped wind which I will silently share with my fellow office workers during this afternoon.

• Options

Ahhh... crop-dusting... takes me back to when I used to work in an office.

Got out on my bike today and smashed my best time for the local mountain.... on the back of my tempo run yesterday I'm pleased as punch.

Probably take it easy tomorrow and replace the scheduled 19k with 13k in the knowledge I'll need some energy left for the weekend's 32k.

• Options

Hello everyone,

A quick message to everyone who is concerned about how hard the long MP runs are.

Firstly, they're supposed to be really hard - remember you're dealing with very tired legs at the end of mega miles weeks/months. Secondly a bit of personal experience - in the run up to Brighton this year I did 18 with 12 at MP and it was a nightmare. I worked my balls off to finish with an average of 6:46 per mile for the MP bit. About 5 weeks later I ran all 26.2 at 6:35 so finding those MP long runsis very normal image

• Options

That's good to know Ryan.

I have some nasty chafing at the moment...bit saddle sore from biking into work too. If anyone wants some pics PM me.

• Options

15 West - that is a difficult offer to refuse... 

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Ryan, I'm going to read and re-read your post as I'm currently in the throes of taper madness. 

Ran 7 miles last night with 2 at marathon (ish) pace. Those 2 felt better than the slow miles. Here's hoping that'll be the case on Saturday at mile 23!!  

15w - sounds painful indeed. I think I'll pass on the pics on this occasion. 

• Options

Hello all. Quiet on here. 7mi recovery run for me today with some sprints.

• Options

Just a short recovery run for me today.  Have plans for the evening so decided to be hardcore and do the run at 5:30am.  Was horrified to find that I needed my headtorch (it's been months since I got up at that time!).  But was duly rewarded with a gorgeous sunrise on the way home.  Knackered now though.

Hope the taper madness isn't too horrific Clag.....not long to go now!

• Options

Reduced today's planned 19k with a hilly and slow 14k.... glad I did, it was warm out there... I'll take it easy now before my first 20 miler Saturday.... just as I've read this...

http://runnow.eu/2013/09/training/do-you-need-the-marathon-long-run_1389