Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Good luck Tiny! Really looking forward to hgearing how you get on.

• Options

I might be doing the same Phil.  Not so much a question of my legs which feel fine now... but getting the opportunity, now that my family think they've got Dad back after the marathon malarky!

Shazmo... fair advice for Tiny.   My experience is different, perhaps why I have the different perspective.  I thought 4 hours might just be possible in my first marathon... but I thought 4:10 was more realistic. 

I still went a bit faster than that to give myself a chance... but as I chatted to people, they still advised to hold back. At 20 miles, I was about 2.5 minutes off 4hr pace, feeling strong and just went for it...ran relentlessly to the finish but missed 4hrs by under 30 seconds.  I'd left a bit too much to do by being conservative. So I got scarred the other way!

It just sounds like Tiny has 3-40 in those legs... but chasing it does run the small risk of a major blow out... and I suppose it's down to a combination of mindset, conditions and how she feels on the day.   It's always a tough decision... but the main point I'm making is that if you want your best time, you need to decide from the off... because whilst going out too quickly is suicide, you can't go out too slow because you can't make much up, once it's lost.  As it's a first marathon, a bit of extra conservatism would be fair enough.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I understand exactly what you mean, Runny. My first marathon was almost identical to your story, except mine went in my favour by 9 seconds (3:59:51). Thankfully our Tiny seems well within the 4hrs target.

Good luck Phil!
  • Options

I think that, if you have followed P&D by the book, you should be looking at no more than couple of minutes' variation in finishing time. Your later MP training sessions will let you know exactly what you are capable of.

Plan the run, run the plan! image

• Options

Good luck Tiny image

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Ran the cross country conservatively and then found I had a sprint finish in my legs over the last 100m. Boy did I enjoy that!

Hope you managed to run Runny Knows. The weather was actually fantastic.

• Options

NN - I have sacro-ilitis and an upset IT band but right up at my hip instead of knee. Haven't run since june.

shazmo - I am indeed and my picture is in the book. image 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Weather spot on for Tiny over in York I think.

Fiona - I need to remember to hunt out your pic in Guiness book of records next time I'm in Smiths/Waterstones.

No running for me this weekend. Keeping weekends running free at the moment. Lots of long walks with the dog though. Ran about 30mi this week...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

So...I'm not allowed to broadcast her times I guess...but 10k done and going well.

COME ON TINY!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

20k...she's speeding up! Got to go out now...bit hard to explain to family I want to stay here to track someone I know virtually running in yorkshire marathon.
    Despite what she was saying yesterday...looks like she's being fairly aggressive with her early pace and targetting 3.40 or quicker. Best of luck to her. Wish I was there really...missed out on york as sold out in a few days.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Halfway. Going very well.

• Options

That's what I would have done too but didn't want to tell her to do! Hopefully she's just feeling really enthusiastic and now she's halfway there she'll feel if she can keep it up.

Meanwhile I managed a 20 minute run in between 5 minute powerwalks. Back to normal running next week though.

• Options

ha, 15W, you're missing the most exciting bit! Not that it's the best or most 'live' tracker I've ever used, I must say. GO TINY!!!

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I can't get the blummin live tracker to load! Sounds like Tiny is doing well though. Hang on in there!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Wow! Very impressive negative split by Tiny. She must be made up.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I managed to find the results on line - well done Tiny! See, she wouldn't listen to my prediction of her getting close to 3.30 (I know she won't mind me hinting at her result, especially as she did so well).

I've just been for a 12 miler - my last long run before Dublin next week. Twas tough! I'm not sure how I'm going to trot round 26 miles next weekend. Can't say I'm looking forward to it image
  • Options

I believed your prediction Shazmo! Also, last long run before a marathon is meant to be shit. It'll be fine.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Errr, every long run I've done in the vague preparation for Dublin has been shit! Good job I'm not PB hunting. It seemed like a good Idea when I entered it (as I'd been doing a few long runs for the Ultra)...beginning to regret it now.

Aaaw, I'm chuffed for Tiny image
  • Options

Storming run from Tiny image, well done!

Shazmo hopefully the atmosphere in Dublin will give you an extra boost - I feel really unprepared too, which is daft as I've stuck to P&D and never run so much in my life. I tried to hit marathon pace for one mile in my long run this morning and was no where near it.

• Options

I think you're both massive sandbaggers just like Tiny. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Velloo - it will be different on race day. Stop worrying. Same with you Shazmo.

• Options

Yes we should take comfort from Tiny's great performance image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    No, for me Dublin will definitely be a struggle. I am in nothing like the shape I was in for Manchester. I didn't enter it to 'race' it, I'm just doing it as a social thing (as I'm there for the weekend anyway). I've not done much specific road marathon/P+D training as I've been doing my fell marathon training and still feel heavy legged from that race. Anyway, I'm sure I will get round - it just won't be as comfortable as I had hoped.

Anyway, I will stop moaning and bask in Tiny's glory image

Vello, are you doing Dublin? Forgive me but my memory is shot to pieces and I don't know where the list has gone!
  • Options

I think Velloo is doing Nice.

• Options
    Phone is being shut so will post properly tomorrow. 3:32:15 and a great negative split. Thought I set off too fast but just kept speeding up all the way to the finish. Absolutely loved every moment. Will post more tomorrow. Feel on top of the world.
  • Options

Look forward to reading your race report Tiny, brilliant result!

Yep it's Nice 

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Ah, Nice, that's it. It will be nice in Nice, Velloo!
  • Options

Great news Tiny... look forward to the race report.

Edit...  Phil... no I didn't run the cross country.  I was in the garden with my little toddler and decided she was too cute to leave, having been training so much in recent weeks.  I suppose that makes me not a real runner image

BUT... I did go out last night after dark and for a 5 miler, with 3 at tempo pace.  I just uploaded by Garmin data just now, and see I was doing 7:15, when I honestly guessed I was doing 7:50.   This is good news, I guess. I really feel like my threshold pace has improved, but will see how things go over the next month.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

RK - it may have been your last chance this year to enjoy some decent weather in the garden with your toddler so I don't blame you.

Actually I find doing runs in the evening hard work mentally so you must be a real runner image