Options

Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

Comments

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    That great Frogbmth! only did 10k today. Plan said 10k race so I "raced" 10k today. Just on my own as I didn't enter a proper race. Got 18 miles coming up next Sunday...
  • Options
    CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Just entered the 30k race.  Itis a great course and from past races the food it great.  Load of jelly babies and fruit.  It is really well organised.

• Options

So roughly 5 weeks to go!  How's the training going for everyone?  

I've got to admit I'm struggling to motivate myself on some the longer runs.  Been doing a few 30k runs but I really want to get at least one comfortable marathon distance in, if for no other reason than to get my head in the right place!  

Anyone within striking distance of Warminster fancy a 30-40k slowish training run?!  Kind of rhetorical but maybe if a small number of us got together it might be a bit of fun!

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Training is going well for me; have done 26 miles this weekend.... weather has gone straight from too cold and wet to too bloody hot image 

But was running somewhere remote on Saturday when I came across a woman doing some nude sunbathing image So the weather is not all bad image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I did 22 ish on Sat. The first 10 miles of the 50k route out and back and the difference to home.

Was too hot to enjoy it really but need to get used to the heat.
  • Options

Nice running.  The weathers a bit bonkers really - ran up on the Ox droves west of Salisbury and it was scorching. Still I reckon theres a fair chance of the marathon being pretty toasty so it's good practice.

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Rich

just saw your post from last night. If you still want to do that long training run I would be up for it. I'm in Salisbury btw
  • Options

Jump in here after my heroics at the Giants head marathonimage Signed up ages ago for this one as enjoyed it so much last year. Training is going great and hopefully will be pushing for a PB this time around. If I remember the course is reasonably flat?? Plus I remember it being well signposted too. Got a 20+ miler this Saturday depending on whether ITB wants to play up! Been getting in 40+ miles aweek too. But still only expect to do a sub 5.20 not the quickest plodder in the world image

Can't wait to run past that enormous castley house thingy with the massive bridge with the Swans. Plus legging it past Old Sarum and the Cathedral too, you don't take in that much history from many other runs image

• Options

Hi all

I have signed up for the 30k this year; what is the course like; (I really mean is it hilly?) and is there a slow time limit? I am a plodder I'm afraid image 

thanks for your help image

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Ivo image

Sorry I have not done this before so I cannot advise on the course or the time limit.

Hopefully someone else who knows will be coming along and advise.
  • Options

Hi all.  I'm doing this for my first marathon.

The registration info says that all entrants should aim to finish by 18:00, so hopefully even the slowest of us shouldn't run out of time. (And I'm definitely at the slow end)

I found this as well from last year's race: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/209702737

Obviously, I've done more internet research than training. 

• Options

Thanks for the link nie!

It's going to be baking for my LSR on Sunday, considering getting up at 6am to do it. Just a few weeks to go now!

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Yep Frogbmth, I am also planing a LSR on sunday not sure about the 6am start though but will seeimage

this will be by 2nd Marahon and I'm not fast but don't care too much. This is supposed to be a very scenic route so I do want to enjoy it too. Considering placing my partner with cake at the finish line so I have something to look forward to and to keep me goingimage
  • Options

Love the cake idea! This is my longest race to date at 30k, I plan on going marathon distance in 2014, just done halves until now. It's a great plan to just enjoy it, I'm really looking forward to it! 

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Frogbmth, I'm looking forward to it too. just 4 weeks and 2 days to go. For me it works better if I just tell myself to enjoy it and as long as I finish it's ok. Obviously I still want to do a good time and get faster but I'm not stressing over it. After all I will never win a race so I might as well enjoy it and if I have a scenic course even better image

Yes, I think I will make some cakes for afterwards hehe
  • Options

Thanks everyone! It doesnt look too hilly; I am training for the Dingle half marathon in September which is a beast for hills. 

the main thing is to enjoy it!!

• Options

Their is an extremely generous cut off time. Basically all routes are open to walkers. I think the event started off as a walking event and morphed into running and walking. So as long as you can run faster than somebody walks you will be fine image

As for being hilly, depends what you call hilly. I cannot remember any really bad hills, they were all pretty gental slopes nothing that I would advise anybody to be too bothered about image

• Options

Loving the long cut off time!  Training not going well - gastroenteretis followed by an infection so only up to 16 miles so far - looks like I'll be walking most of it image

• Options

I've signed up for the 50k. Lets hope it's not too too hot ! Shame there's no info or a map on the website 

• Options

Roger, my training has been a bit sporadic as well.  I've only made it up to 18 (with a few walk breaks thrown in).  Fingers crossed that I can manage the 20 I have scheduled tomorrow.

• Options

I'm struggling to go long in this heat so am trying back to back runs to improve endurance.

• Options

does anyone recommend road shoes or trails? many thanks, i'm up for the 50Kimage

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul

I don't know the course at all but I will be wearing road shoes and keep my fingers crossed, but then I'm only doing the marathon image
  • Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    How is everyone's training going? going to do 20-22 miles this Sunday which will be my last long run... can't believe its less than 4 weeks now! very excited image
  • Options

28k hilly trails done on Sunday past, felt great during and afterwards. (Doing the 30k).

i feel very ready. If it stays dry I will be in road shoes but if it gets muddy it will likely be in my La Sportiva Raptors. Don't think my feet are up to the distance in my minimalist trail shoes yet. If its this hot still then I will be taking water too!

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Shoes wise I would say that road shoes will be fine only if it is dry!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If the weather stays dry then road shoes will be fine.

I will be wearing my trail ones only because i haven't done many miles in my latest road shoes and managed to do the 50 k ok last year in the trail ones.
  • Options

Hi, planning to do this race as well. Never done an Ultra before and aiming to complete the 50K by run / walk. 

• Options

Not had anything sent out yet - do we pick up numbers on the day?  Does anyone know if there's parking near the start?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yes there is parking right by the start. They usually send out maps etc about 2 weeks before.

Last yr you picked your number up on the day.

Doing my last long run on Sunday. May have to start out v early and Plan in a few water stops on the way.