Options

Outlaw 2014

Comments

• Options

Just a note to those that didn't get in, last year Outlaw released further places (I think 100) id imagine they will this year as it makes sense to hold a few back at first? 

If you don't get in, we'll no doubt be helping with a feedstation on the bike course as with the 4 previous Outlaws, the more help the better and its a great way to spend the day and those who've done so previously will agree its very rewarding and great fun.

Feedstation thread will probably start in the new year.

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I shall be on hand at the Mallister's Arms pub feedstation in Rotherfield Greys.

Raf - are you camping Saturday night?

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Flat Footed wrote (see)

Not massively important but not many people have put "PSOF" as their tri club, couple of "Pirates" and one "Pirate Ship".

Well it is kinda important, well if youre intending to race in pirate kit at least.

There didn't appear to be an option for that when entering as a relay - does this mean we have race naked ...... again image

• Options

Well we managed to get it on our relay team.....do you want me to post you the jock strap?

• Options

We got it on our relay team too. 

(Settles down to watch something naked going on)

• Options

Hmm I put down PSOF but the entries to date have my name but not the PSOF, it also says training evening in January??? Not full outlaw, slightly confused image

• Options

Hey I crowed it slightly on that one and just put Pirates down, will see if I can do a regain and put it down as PSOF, my bad.  I will however be racing in Pirate kit if that makes it any better... Doh

• Options

Looking forward to getting home from warmer cliimes and meeting up with the Essex Pirates over tea and bacon butties at park run

• Options

Husband entered for me so no PSOF on my entry - just glad he managed to spell the name right image

• Options

Once you are registered and have an account then as far as I can remember you can go back and change your details

• Options

I managed to put PSOF, not sure if I could on the relay team - and when you look at the 'entries to date' it lists all the relay team members separately rather than as a team so difficult to see....

• Options

oh, and just to back up what Barlos said - I thoroughly enjoyed helping out at the feedstation, a great dayimage and a good way of getting to meet some other pirates

• Options

.... and not a good way to meet others eh Mathschick !!   image

• Options

luckily I was at the other end of the feedstation as the jock strap incident!

• Options

For Outlaw 2013 I put down PSOF but almost everyone else put down Pirates, so this time I put down Pirates but it sounds like I should have had the strength of my convictions to stick with PSOF!

So, anyone care to give a definitive ruling on this point? 

Ta

• Options

Here here great day helping out. Fun filled day bouncing water bottles off cars and jock straps. Lovely bacon butties!

• Options

Cheers Meldy, I will get it amended at once!image

• Options

It should always be PSOF if you can.......you do get chances to change all the details with ypur password so don't panic anyone.........

But really PSOF is so infantile and funny that it makes you look like the great grandmother of the group if you are too serious to put PSOFimage

• Options

I prefer to think of it as 'enigmatic'

But that probably makes me a grandmother   image

• Options

I have re-checked and I have been registered as PSOFimage

• Options

in the blind panic i didnt even clock that bit and entered my local club.

I have been back in and amended my mistake so PSOF for me image

• Options

I changed it image PSOF FTW!

• Options

PSOF, then OSB changed it to Pirates when they released the race numbers, but its OK because they said some really nice things about us in the race notes

• Options

If they are going to change it they should change it to Pirate ship of Fools........,i think someone should have  aword with them if they don't want the PSOF massive there

• Options

Easy tiger   image

• Options

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the level of entry hysteria for this race is a bit odd?

I like the Outlaw, its a great race, dont get me wrong. Its well organised, and the guys who run it are really friendly. But I cant help thinking that a lot of people view it as an "easy IM" because its so flat. I know its also about half the price of a branded IM race, but it's pretty much the same as Challenge Henley (£265 vs £310).

Also, this year they were taking something like 1400 entries. Last year there were 911 finishers from 996 starters (counting relay teams as one person), so assuming they reckon they could deal with 1000 bikes, thats a 30% drop out. That seems high to me - anyone know how that compares with other IM distance races? Obviously they dont expect 1400 people to show up, and its common practice to oversell places (airlines do it routinely for example) but is the hype of entering a year in advance part of this trend for entering and then withdrawing?
    I can see it makes good business sense for them, and ultimately keeps the cost down, because a percentage of the people who withdraw will only get a partial refund, but it still leaves me feeling a bit funny about it.

I think its great that the Pirates have such a good relationship with the race, but I am also a bit sad that it seems to be the default for newbies, rather than sign up for the Champsionship race. If you were to take out the Pirates, it would be very quiet on that finishing line, which I guess makes me wonder if it's reputation is really all that deserved - its quite quiet, and there isnt much support on a lot of the run course, because of it's location.

I'm not trying to say people shouldnt do it, just that I dont think its really as good as the craziness of the rush to enter it makes it seem.

• Options

with IMUK selling out so quickly and a lot of the european ones I think there is a tendency now that if you want to do a race then you have to get in straight away...........

i think the drop out rtaes are higher then for all of them because of a greater chance of injury or CBA in winter to train....

when we did switzerland in 2009 I can remmeber us all up at midnight waiting to be the first to enter just incase ot sold out.so not much changing.....

i do think it is poorly supported on the bike and run but then its just so convienient for  staying and getting to...makes it a cheap option........as travelling and camping and entry fee all together are less than a normal IM entry

• Options

I've changed mine image

• Options

Agree Flyers but would add, its about the most accessible, being in the middle of the country, Transition in one place, Camping on site, and its reputation...it has won best long distance for the last three years.....if you were choosing a first race and read that it was the best, cheaper then brand IM, seems to be an obvious choice.

I'd like to know the proportion of first time IMers at this compared to other events