Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

Oh mate that looks sore! Feel really sorry for you! Take these few days and let the healing process kick in. You've done so much training I'm sure that a bit of time off won't put you too far back, a little rest might actually do you some good!  Best of luck fella, let us know how you get on. Healing vibes coming your way!

• Options

Cheers fellas image

Its getting better all the time. Took the main dressing off yesterday, no infection which is good. Knee is regaining movement and flexibility all the time. Hoping to get a cheeky reconnaissance run in on friday ahead of sundays LSR, to test the waters. All my fingers are crossed!

On the plus side, I received my doctors certificate today which I needed in order to run the Paris Marathon - so thats made me feel significantly more positive! 

• Options

Well the gash is holding up. Looks to be healing well. Knee has regained all flexibility, walking nicely. Stairs no problem. If I were asked to lift weights with the leg it my twinge a bit but otherwise its fine. In 24 hours I get to run again! Whoop!

• Options

Hello all, another newbie to running & just started C25K on wk1 day3 tomorrow. I need to lose around 1.5 - 2st & get fitter. Ok so I've only done 2 walk/runs so far but I'm really enjoying the challange, last run in hellish rain & wind which was a thought but dragged my ass out & felt fab afterwards!

i haven't read all of this thread but congrats to you all for loosing so much weight it's amazing & confidence giving to us beginners.

What app or online thingy do you recommend for keeping track of your runs? can I still log the walk/runs even though I'm not running the full way? I'm using my fitness pal for the weightloss. 

mattywarr hope that ouchy leg is better soon!

• Options

Pegasus - I use runkeeper, which is a mobile app and online. So was using it to track my runs early on, then when I got my garmin watch, can still upload the files to it

• Options

Welcome Pegasus! I'd recommend the excellent Fetcheveryone.com website for logging your runs (a sister site to Runners World).

• Options

Thanks folks I'll go look them up.

weigh day today & that's 5lb in 3 weeks yay! Run is tomorrow so did a 20min stint on the cross trainer today, I hope this enthusiasm lasts!!

• Options

Cheers Pegasus image Congrats on your weight loss and getting started on C25K! Its how I started out and haven't looked back. If your enthusiasm starts to wain, come back here and we'll talk you back into it image

Weigh day for me too today. Only lost 1lb (Targetting 2 per week), but seeing as I haven't run at all since my last weigh in, I'd say thats a victory.

• Options

Matty did you try a run today? 

hope your knee held out.

i fell two weeks ago on some ice but the wounds were nothing like yours.

• Options
    Yep Jellybelly, went out with the missus on a nice little jaunt. Knee felt absolutely fine image

Back to normal! 50 minute easy run in the morning before heading to Southampton to drink lots of cider and knock out Southampton from the FA Cup!

May leave myfitnesspal alone tomorrow image
  • Options

Glad it worked out ok, that knee looked nasty.

Think I may stay on this thread as it will concentrate my mind on diet as well as running.

• Options

Great to see you're back in the game Matty!  Had great fun at a very wet and muddy Perch cross country this morning, no PB but as I didn't have a canoe/tank/skis it was never likely in the conditions! Running kit needed two goes in the washing machine to get it clean. Brilliant race!

• Options

God idea Jellybelly, we'll keep you motivated!

Stevie - that sounds awesome! I love a muddy wet run. More than I thought I would when I first did one! Something about it that just makes running a real adventure!

16.6 mile LSR yesterday - my new longest run PB! Wasn't fun as I had a rampant hangover, so it was 3 hours of nausea and dehydration. Not a wise move to leave the house without water or money to buy water. But its done! 

Good to be back in the swing and only missed 3 training sessions in the end. Pleased!

• Options

Glad to hear the knee is better & wow that's some run you did esp with a hangover!!

Wk2 day1 of C25K for me today, hard going in the sleet & blooming wind we have today, not helped by the fact I run on country roads with wide open spaces image. However it's done & felt good for it, hopefully busting those fat rolls of mine!

• Options
    Pegasus3 wrote (see)

Glad to hear the knee is better & wow that's some run you did esp with a hangover!!

Wk2 day1 of C25K for me today, hard going in the sleet & blooming wind we have today, not helped by the fact I run on country roads with wide open spaces image. However it's done & felt good for it, hopefully busting those fat rolls of mine!

Absolutely the best conditions for running, especially as a beginner. because next time you get faced with tough conditions, psychologically you can say "Well I've been out like this before..." image

Keep up the good work the rolls will keep reducing!

• Options

Just posted my first under 30 mins 5k in months - completed during a hailstorm on a hilly route, having not run for four days, so very pleased. Pretty tiring, though. 

Good to see you're, literally, back on your feet, Matty!

• Options

Good work Jae! Its always encouraging when you break milestones!

Yep back up and running, did a Hill repeat session up my local 'Bastard' last night, 6 x 200ms at 7m/m in the middle of a mile and half warm out and back. It hurt! But felt good to do it.

• Options

It never feels good to actually 'do it', but always feels fantastic when it's done. I love that bit. 

• Options

I felt the same up until the 4th Rep. 5 and 6 were killers!

6 easy miles yesterday in Zone 2. About 20s of the estimate McMillan pace but not too worried as Tuesday was strenuous!

50minute tempo run for me tonight. Usually I'd run my tempo runs over my usual 6 is mile loop, but I've been reading Daniels Running Formula - its very good. And he stressed the importance of tempo running to be maintaining the pace to be consistent using a relatively flat course. So hopefully it will be a bit of a more beneficial session then my usual undulating route!

Any of you guys on Garmin Connect or Endomondo? I have a distinct lack of friends on both! Anyone wants to add me, feel free image

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/mattywarr

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/9182643

• Options

Jae & Matty, you guys are working hard...inspirational!

one more run of C25k for me tomorrow, Wednesdays one was hellish weather yet again but I managed to get a bit further in the same time so that's good. Also done two x trainer sessions & must admit I'm feeling good, I think being a bit competitive helps as logging all my miles to see if I'm improving.

Also found a local Parkrun so my aim is to do that in a decent time once I can run a full 5k at home. Going to drag the family out cycling this weekend(weather permitting) as found a Trailgator which is a kinda tow bar for my 5yo so we can all go out image

I'm feeling a bit addicted to exercise for the first time in my life! Im hoping that's a good thing!! 

Weigh day tomorrow yikes image

• Options

It has been a long time since my last post due to me being away with work in Germany for three weeks. I must say the South of Germany is a beautiful place. Lots of great forestry and rivers to run along side of. I made the most of my evenings alone by managing to complete three weeks of the C210K app! I am now on week 7 but I think I am going to repeat week 6 as I found it to be very hard work.

The only problem I found was that the German food is amazing, esp if you like meat and cheese lol! So I was still very happy when I weighed in and managed to lose 2kg!

I have started using myfitnesspal again though since I have been back and am feeling pretty good about myself.

The only problem I have noticed is that I am developing a lot of pain in my lower calves, just above my ankle and my knee joints are a bit sore all the time. Just wondering if I am overdoing it a bit but we shall see.

I have joined a gym also to try and get some weight training in to develop a bit more strength.

I had a read through the thread and all I can say is "ouch matty", that looked like a nasty fall :0 Glad to see you have recovered ok.

Hope everyone is ok! And time to get back to it!

• Options

Pegasus3 - Well done for getting out in the weather - it means that you will never have an excuse to not go out! Well done on the addiction factor, its a good feeling right?!

Gaz - welcome back! Sounds like you had an amazing time, and to lose 2kg whilst away is impressive! Not sure what to recommend about the sore legs though, maybe try running a bit slower for a while? The gym should help mind!

My tempo run last night was largely successful (Except I forgot to update my Garmin workout, so it didn't register my cool down) but the actual tempo portion averaged 8.27m/m which I am rather pleased with!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/437994272

Best of all - weighed in today and I lost 4lbs this week! This meant I hit some pleasing milestones

• 30lbs lost since the start of my diet (After my 2013 holiday)
    • Now under my pre Florida (June 2012 holiday) weight - Yes, I put on over 30lbs over the year - both holidays included
    • Less than 2 stone to go til target

So happy Matty!

• Options

Brilliant Matty, well done on the times & weightloss...... That's pretty amazing I'm betting you feel fab today!!

I've lost 3lbs this week which I was soooo chuffed with, 8lbs altogether whoop!

I'm supposed to be doing my last run of wk2 today but weather is horrendous so I think I may chicken out & do it on Sunday instead, feeling disappointed image

• Options

Congrats on the weight loss to you too! Thats a hefty chunk!

Screw the weather, I went out in the christmas storm. Yes it was horrible, but that satisfied feeling when I got back to my warm flat was heaven! So turn the disappointed frown upside down and get out there image

Although thats easy for me to say, I'm not due to run til saturday when the weather has cleared image

• Options

Thanks!! I have chickened out, really couldn't do it as was getting blown away & soaked just mucking out my horses earlier, it's nasty out there.......I'm not as brave as you but cheers for the pep talk image

I've consoled myself with the thought that I've worked out four days on the trot & my legs are kinda saying they need a rest lol! Sunday forecast is good so looking forward to getting up early & out there image

• Options

As you've worked out 4 days on the bounce then I'll let you off. Let the legs recover for a couple then blitz it on Sunday!

• Options

January over and 70 miles done, so well happy with that! My PF issue seems to have cleared up thanks to lots of stretching and having a massage ball under my desk at work so continually running my foot over it so that's good too. Jantastic has been a real motivator in getting me out when the weather hasn't been good so it's really serving its purpose of promoting consistency.
    Good running out there from our little group, healing vibes to those on the road back from injury. Here's to a good February of running for all of us!

• Options

Well done Stevie! Thats brilliant work. Glad the PF is healing up nicely too, maybe you'll make 80m in Feb?

I achieved a personal best of 123miles in January! Which I was very pleased with. Over the weekend I managed a 5.5m recovery run on Saturday and an 18m LSR on Sunday. The LSR was really hard. Too hard. In 2 weeks I have to do 20m (I'm doing the Longleat 10k this sunday - a welcome low mileage week) and think I'll slow it down even more.

That said, 18m is my longest ever run and my nutrition strategy worked - first time using gels and I didn't get the trots or an upset stomach. I did expect them to be sweeter though! Just need a way to work out how to carry more water on route or hide some somewhere along my planned route.

• Options
    Well done guys that January mileage is impressive! !

Just done d1 of wk3 c25k in sunshine for a change, I found it easier than I thought except the stonker of a hill I had to get up & down twice! I'm getting further along my route with every session, today was 2.32m in the 28mins of the programme I'm hoping thats ok for a beginner. Another bit further along at halfway & I'll be doing the circuit which is 3m, hopefully by the end of the 8wks!

Enjoy that yellow thing in the sky everyone image
  • Options

You got sunshine?! Definitely not fair!

Although hills feel tough, hills are the best thing you'll run on. They help you improve so much - running on the flat just gets easier and easier! Sounds to me like you are right on track with those numbers image Keep at it, they start to get harder after week 3 from what I remember so try and stay motivated, plan your runs and stick to it image

The reason I am jealous of the sunshine is because I ran this evening in what felt like a hurricane!! It felt OK for the first half of my 6m loop. Turns out, wind was behind me!

When coming round the back of the loop the wind rain and sleet was whipping in the face, my earphone wires kept catching the wind and pulling them out of my ears, then the last 2 miles or so was head into it. Luckily it died down a bit then too.

BUT that said, i got back feeling amazing. Really strange, I thought I'd struggle after sundays 18 miler, but it just felt fantastic. 5.5 miles in Zone 3. Usually thats about 9.30 m/m. Today, 9.03m/m. Thats sub 4 marathon pace! Not sure I'd be able to maintain it but thats my target for the Fleet Half in March.

Feeling amazing!