Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

Nice easy 6 miles for me last night. Ran it with my old running mate. She stopped running with me so often after the Cardiff half as I was working on speedwork for a 10k and now into Marathon training cycle. But I figure my midweek 6 mile easy run doesn't hurt if its a bit slower than usual and treated more as a recovery, and it was nice to be a bit more social.

I always manage to have a good bitch and moan and get things of my chest when I run with her, like therapy!

30 minute tempo run tonight and weigh day tomorrow - eek!

• Options

30 minute tempo run felt OK. Legs felt a bit weary, the good steady run and long easy run must have taken it out of the poor buggers.

3.65miles averaging 8:13 m/m, so right on target pace and within HR zone. 

Weigh in today, further good news! 3lb lost image This means I am a mere 12lbs away from my lowest EVER weight.

(I started dieting about 5 years ago, I reached a certain point, 9lbs from target broke up with the fiance and my weight  has yo-yo'd ever since)

• Options
    Not been able to get on the forum much as we have a phone line down atm!

Well done on the runs & weightloss that's fab image

I have stayed the same this week but I know why.....night out last weekend & hangover eating the following day!

Got a stinking cold now bunged up & sore throat, still hoping to do my last run of week 3 tomorrow though, for now it's rest & downing Lemsip bleurgh. .......
  • Options

Nothing wrong with that at all. image

Had a 20 minute easy run scheduled today, but elected instead to do Weymouth parkrun at an easy pace. Ran the last half mile at 7m/m pace though to warm the legs up.

Longleat 10k tomorrow. Any time under 51 minutes I'll be pleased with but will be targetting sub 50.

• Options

Good luck tomorrow Matty!

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow matty & hope the weather is decent!
  • Options

Thanks for the good luck image

Weather held off and was a chilly but bright and dry race.

Organisationally, the event was a shambles. From the 3 course changes announced before the event to on the day shenanigans (More later) there seemed to be very little actual organisation. It was further hurt by Longleat's decision to open the park during the event which meant spectators either needed to pay the entry (At a 30% discount) or enter the fun run (£2 cheaper than the discounted rate)

Despite there being mention of timed start pens, I only saw the sub 40 one. The rest were hidden by swathes of people, not helped by the distinct lack of marshals trying to organise people properly. There was a PA system you could barely hear and no-one had a clue what was going on. I didn't hearIt ended up just a mass funnel of people of varying paces.

This was exacerbated by the Fun Run. There was supposed to be a 3k fun run taking place 5 minutes after the start of the main run. But people didn't seem to be able to tell what was going on (Lack of marshalling/decent PA contributed). So all the fun runners also started at the same time. 

I spent the first 2k weaving in and out of people including, rather dangerously, children. In a fun run situation fair enough, but when I'm chasing a PB I'm not always looking down far enough and nearly rattled a few kids.

After that debacle though, I have to say the race was good. There were some KILLER hills. To say that marshals were sparse would be an understatement. If there was an emergency, it would take 2-3 minutes for a marshal to even get notified they were that far apart.

The problems return during the last kilometer. As runners were running up the finish straight, people who were already finished were walking down the same router, and I was having to weave around them too! Once again, no marshalling to keep runners and finishers separated.

The medal was good, the goody bag was shoddy. The tee shirt was good but paid extra for it.

The best part of the day was the attractions in Longleat which we did have free entry to (Except the safari park). The saving grace of the event.

I had fun, but have been to much better organised events and wouldn't do this one again with the current arrangements.

I was 20s off a PB - but given the course profile (See garmin link below) I was pleased. On a flat course could have hit my sub 50 target. But thats what I've signed up for the Bupa London 10k for image

• Options

Well done Matty! That certainly was a hilly route & from what you've said about having to dodge kids etc I think you did bloody great image

I'm impressed with the stats your garmin shows, may have to save up for one!

• Options

Nice run matty, I can only dream of those sort of times at the moment.

Right, I have decided that I HATE the gym. With a Passion. Bordering on Rage. Weights really are not for me, I found it to be quite a chore. May have to cancel my membership after two weeks image

I went out for a run on Sunday and struggled to be honest. I have gone back to doing week 6 of the C210K and am going to stick it out and not get distracted this time.

Weight is coming off though, down to 16st8, so ill keep plugging away. I have recently discovered as well that my local parkrun is half a mile from my house and part of my usual run so once I can run 5k without stopping, im there!

All the best, fellow runners!

PS. Bit of a cheat night tonight as a local restaurant is having a hot wing challenge lol. wish me luck!

• Options

Definitely recommend a Garmin, Pegasus! Gret for instant feedback on pace and makes it so much easier when I'm trying to do something like run within a certain heartrate, pace zone or do interval training.

Gaz - I agree, not a fan of gyms would much rather get outside! Good plan winding back though, rebuild confidence in yourself. parkrun also is a great target image

Oh, and good luck with the hot wings - I'd quite fancy the challenge myself!

• Options
    Intervals for me tonight. 5 minute warm up, 10 minute easy jog then 9 x 2m30 intervals at better than 5k pace, with 2m30 recoveries.

The intervals were really tough, but managed to get them all at between 7m/m and 7.20m/m except one - darn traffic!

Felt good though and feel the speed is improving. Toying with the idea of a 5k PB attempt at Ashton Court parkrun Saturday...
  • Options

I like bits of the gym - like doing classes like pilates. Will be using the gym tomorrow aas I have VO2 intervals, given the weather, will be doing them inside where I can easily measure the 800m!

• Options

Ah Rachel, you can measure 800m on your Garmin! 

I'm loving this weather, it somehow makes running more fun and interesting. Fighting the wind, running through puddles... its brilliant!

7 easy miles last night. On pace according to McMillan but definitely over budget on HR Zone. I'm finding it tough to reconcile between the two.

60 mins steady lined up for tonight, probably around 7.5miles. 

• Options

Yep, but it was cold and wet and dark. far easier on treadmill. Also got to try out my new trainers - which are going to be my race trainersimage

• Options

Not running related but food related!

Got to round 3 of the Hot Wing challenge before crash and burning! Round 4 was like eating molten lava! Still sore now image

Back to it tonight though with a cheeky little run after work image.

• Options

Hi folks, I've been gently reducing my weight for the last 18 months. I was 17 1/2 stone back then and as of last week was 14 stone 4 pounds. I took up running in November 13. I set a target of a 5k in Jan (completed), my next target was a 10k in May (Manchester) but today I passed the 1/2 marathon mark - fairly easily. So I have a 10k in march (the resolution run), a 10 mile in April (Edinburgh Great Run) and looking at a 1/2 marathon in May (EMF). Eighteen months ago I would not have dreamed I'd be where I am now - so it definitely can be done so stick in. Oh, and this is my one year anniversary of coming down with Type 1 Diabetes - on Feb 14th last year I ended up in intensive care, really ill and on I just ran 13.4 miles in 2:23:08 - so take it from me you can do it.....

• Options

Rachel - Exciting! Not sure psychologically I could handle wearing different trainers for a race as my well broken in ones I train in! Hopefully you'll have no issues image I'll be investing in new trainers after the Paris marathon to get me through my next training cycle which will be an autumn half PB attempt in all probability.

Gaz - Cracking work, how many rounds were there? I'd like to try something like that myself, they do a chostt chilli chicken wing challenge in hungry horse, maybe I'll try one sometime. How did you get on with the run?

Mark - Thats a cracking story! Great work, thanks for sharing image Are you following any sort of training plan? A speciic diet or just calorie counting? Well done image

Last nights training run was scheduled as 60mins Steady (Z3), around 9m/m. Happy to say I smashed it! Heres the activity and splits. My Garmin for some reason didn't have the workout on it so had to do it manually mid run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/444752652

Laps 1 and 13 were 5 mins Warm Up/Down, and lap 2 started with a steep incline (Which I'd hoped to have summited by the end of the warm up) beyond that it was pretty consistently paced throughout which was delightful!

And now onto my weekly weight loss update image another 3lbs lost! Statistically that reaches some more milestones (Psychologically important for me!)

• Into the '15st' zone
    • LESS than 10lbs to go until my lowest recorded adult weight EVER.
    • LESS than 20lbs to go until my first major milestone on this journey - a healthy BMI

At the end of Novemeber I set myself an aggressive target of 2lbs a week. Christmas meant that wavered, but if I can get another 3lb week in next week that puts me bang on track again!

Even better, if I can have 5 x 3lb weeks between now and Paris (April 6th), that means I'll hit that healthy BMI zone just in time for the Marathon.

Which I am now setting as my official unofficial target image

• Options

Well done on the weightloss Mark that's pretty outstanding!

matty another chunk of poundage off congrats!! I didn't realise you were doing the Paris marathon, that's very exciting image

I've been fighting this virus all week so haven't run at all which is depressing but it's better to get healthy again first I guess image    On the plus side I've lost 2lbs this week which is 10lbs altogether now yay! I'll be starting week 3 of c25k again hopefully this weekend or early next week.

• Options

Matty - great progress!!!!   Don't try to take too much off too fast though, you've got a marathon to run!

The trainers will be getting a longer outing this weekend, as I'm using them for Race Your Pace. As I'm practicing the race routine, I'm going to be spending the day eating carbs. Lots of them image

• Options

Pegasus - Great work on the weight loss, 10lbs is an excellent milestone to hit!

Rachel - I know, 2lb is the controlled weightloss I should be taking off. Its a toss up between being heavy and exerting my body too much by running with extra weight, or dropping the pounds and exerting my body less by running with less weight. I'm not sure either way is more right than the other though and I'm not suffering in training or my LSRs so far, so I'm hoping its going to be OK!

Now I'm jealous of your carb day!

• Options
    mattywarr

Since being diagnosed as type 1 in feb13 I just started to cancel refined sugar from my diet. I cut my portions down and started trying to match food groups to my daily activities. The weight I've lost has come of about a stone per 4-5 months which I gather is pretty good not too fast. Now, If I just do a few days exercise I don't lose anything as I noticed in jan14 but I started to up the level a couple of weeks ago and now its starting to go down again. I have been following a running guide from thegreatrun.com (4 runs a week) out once or twice a week I am now pushing it passed whats expected to see how far I can go without hurting myself. I try to go to the gym/ pool every other day. I do my run first (indoor/outdoor - depending on the distance), a short swim to cool down and loosen muscles from my run then a strength session followed by some stretching exercises. Its a lengthy session but I make sure I'm not pushing until I hurt - just until muscles get pumped then I ease off image
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I hope people don't mind me jumping into this thread.

A quick intro. I'm 25 years old, 160kg and want to start running. But given my weight I think just walking will have to do to start with. I am classified as super morbidly obese after all.

I did go for my first walk today, which I tracked with Endomondo. I went 1.23km with an average pace of 13:51 m/km.

So not far and not fast. But probably the furthest and fastest I've moved all year. My left knee feels like it's on fire, although that's probably due to me falling down the stairs a week ago...

Looking back through Endomndo the best I've ever done is 10:51m/km which I did over 4.24 km. I think I'll aim to match that by the end of the month. But that could be a tad ambitious.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I have been out and walked. And that I hope to start the c25k in March.

If anyone wants a little background on me I started the thread 'Too Fat to Run'.

Hopefully I can emulate some of your success.

• Options

Welcome, KronicSonic! You are taking the first steps in a long but thoroughly rewarding journey which will improve your health and well being no end. It's a tough road but we are here to support you all the way! Remember, regular excercise of any kind + diet is the mist effective way of keeping it off! and eventually it becomes fun too image

My training plan called for 50mins easy today. However me and a fellow parkrunner decided on the 40 mile trip to Ashton Court. Its an out and back course - with the out being entirely uphill. My friend said the hill 'wasn't that bad' so I set out on a PB hunt. Turns out he lied! It was a killer! However, I managed to be really rapid all the way back. Faster than I've ever run thanks to the downhill and set a 1m and 1k PB. But the elusive sub 25 5k is still out of reach! Next time, I hope! Here's the activity from Garmin.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/445380359

First ever 20 miler for me tomorrow! Excited and terrified in equal measure!

• Options
    Hi KronicSonic - love the name image I started on the cross trainer and treadmill doing very low levels and building up speed and intensity as I felt I could at a base of 10 mins for each then continued to push. It was recommended that I do any planned running exercise before any other type so I didn't run on tired legs and become injury prone. If you sign up to greatruntraining.com they will give a tailored plan to your personal circumstances (health) and goals you wish to set. I think you just sign up free although I signed up for my first run through them.

Hi mattywarr - ashton court is that in bristol? If so, thats definitely a hill lol. I might be there for the balloon festival this year. Good luck with your 20 miles that is some distance image Im going to try my 13.4 mile again and try and go a bit further on tuesday if possible as I had weary legs at that but no huffing or puffing.....
  • Options

Yeah, Ashton Court is Bristol. Haven't done the balloon festival for years! The early start disagrees with my love of sleep image

20 miler was successful! My longest run ever image Last 3 miles were a struggle but that is to be expected - the last 3 miles were a struggle when I did my 18 miler 2 weeks ago too. So i guess it shows my body is adapting! Hopefully the other 3 20+ milers will condition my body jsut enough for the race.

Hit my peak mileage of 48 miles this week. Another PB! It looks like, despite Feb being the shortest month, it will be my biggest ever month of running in the 14 months since I started image

• Options

Welcome KronicSonic,

Im in the same boat as yourself! 107kg and attempting to lose a lot of timber! Im in the middle of C210K at the moment but my problem is I constantly deviate away from it.

Good stuff on the 20 miler matty, hell of a distance! And congrats on the weightloss mate. (oh and there were 5 rounds in the hot wing challenge. wish I had made the final round tho!)

Have been for two runs since, a 3 miler with only 'two stops" in my best ever time of 37:07 for 3 miles and another stage of C210K which, as I mentioned above, is proving to be hard for me to commit too. I guess I kinda just want to go out and run but deep down, I know I should finish the programme lol.

All the best guys and gals

• Options

Definitely finish the program!

My missus wanted to start running. She's lovely of course but stubborn and obstinate at times! She was insistent on just going out and running in an unstructured way, off the bat with little or no fitness behind her. She huffed and puffed and a the end of every run we did we'd end up in a barney because she was saying I "Didn't understand"! I kept offering to do her a programme based upon C210K and she said she didn't see the point as she didn't want to walk. This continued for several weeks of non enjoyable running.

Eventually, we signed her up to the Bristol 10k and she decided that maybe she should take some advice. So i put together a walk run programme. During the week, 2-3 run/walk sessions and a "Long" slow run at the weekend.

Yesterday she ran 8k non stop and was delighted and actually used the term "Enjoy"!

So keep at it and remember the long term goal - not just the short term.

• Options

Cheers for the advice. My problem is that i'm very impatient!

I have just seen on a different thread that you were 140kg once Matty! Just wanted to say congrats on getting to the running/weight standard that you are currently at! Very inspirational. DO u have a final goal in mind?

IN fact, im going to start my C210K app again today from back in week 4 and actually see if through to week 14! And actually use myfitnesspal all the time lol, instead of just when I feel like it!

What apps do u all use to track your runs? I use strava but that was mainly for cycling! I don't have a lot of friends who run so could do with adding some link minded individuals from friendly competitiveness!

• Options

It is true image At one stage I got down to 15st5lbs. That was my lowest recorded weight as an adult, as I didn't weight myself in my rise in size, only on the way back down. And this was all before running - I got down there solely on diet.

I've since fluctuated quite a lot between 16 and 18 stone. I reached 18st7 before I started running really last January and its only been since maybe october that I've taken the diet really seriously - mainly as I found JUST running wasn't shifting the weight. it has to be a combination of both.

My initial target is to have a BMI of 24.9 (Just inside the healthy range) which for my height is 14st9. 

Then I want to hit the 13's (13st13 will do) and see how I look. Ultimately my aim is just to lose all the flabby bits that wobble around. I have an irritating "Spare Tire" around my middle and hips and my inner thighs are a bit flabby too. It may be that I have to go down to 12st13 or under to acheive that, but I am determined to do it - moreso than I ever have been.

Once I'm there I plan on setting a top end weight limit that I don't want to go over again.

I primarily use Garmin Connect to log my runs as I have a Garmin watch. But I also upload them to Endomondo and Nike+. Feel free to add me on any of those! My usuername is mattywarr for all of them I think, or just search Matthew Warr