Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

Cheers Pegasus. I decided to do my week 3 day 2 of C25k today after all, the lure of new shoes and bright sun was too much for me!

Completed the session fine, i've tried to even my pace out alot more, so tried to do the run parts around 10.30/mile pace , managed this for all four runs (2x 1.5 min runs and 2x 2.5 min runs) although one of my 2.5 min reps was 9.40 pace so probably a little too quick.

New shoes felt great, they are big shoes, designed for maximum cushioning etc, so not great road feel, but it felt like my feet were in a mattress the whole time so worked out well for me!

Was a joy to be out today in this weather

• Options

Ross - I think the gait analysis and new trainers is a more efficient use of time than a long run anyway - Hopefully they will help you avoid injury and help your technique which is a good thing! Wise move going out today, make the most of the weather while you can! I'm having mine re-done after paris. I've lost so much weight and am running so differently now I think it's time for a retest.

Pegasus - that sounds great! Its fun running with other people and can be really motvational when you really don;t want to run - you'll have someone else nagging you to get out!

• Options

Well, after a rest day yesterday I was on parkrun duty last night checking the course - we've been cancelled since christmas due to the floods waterlogging our park. Intention was to run 40mins Steady pace. But the course was awful, trudging through it was hard work and didn't hit my pace but was still a good workout. 

• Options

5.5 easy miles last night. Concentrated on my cadence in the latter part with some success! Shorter faster strides didn;t wear me out as much as my usual stride pattern!

Very testing session due for me tonight. 60mins Tempo (About 8.15-8.30m/m). My legs feel totally dead so I'm HOPING to run an increased cadence/reduce stride length and maintain a speed somewhere close to that. But in truth, anything below 9m/m I'd be delighted with!!

Weigh day tomorrow!

• Options

Another good news friday for me image

Firstly, last nights 60 minute tempo run was a resounding success. Armed with a metronome app in my iPhone/ear I ran at a cadence of 170. Surprisingly, I smashed it. With an average page of 8.10 I FAR exceeded my expectations that an increased cadence would deliver! Also, most strangely was that my perceived effort seemed to be "flatter" over the course of the run. Usually I'd feel like I was putting a lot more effort in the hills and less in the downhills. With a steady cadence it just remained consistent. The end result was a PB over both 5k and 10k - Its a shame they were only training runs! But it gives me confidence that next time I race over these distances I can smash my official PBs!

Secondly, weightloss of 3lbs. Right back on track! Boom!

Key Stats:
     - 3lbs from being my lowest ever adult weight
     - 12bs from a healthy BMI
     - 22lbs to my main goal weight

• Options

Congrats mate, loving the discipline and effort!

After feeling pretty comfortable this week with the C210K, I will be attempting a 5k run on sunday. Ill let you know how it went.

Good luck to all this weekend and happy Friday!!

• Options

Hi all, it's the weekend yay! Hope you all have a good one! 

Ross, glad the shoes felt great image

Matty, whey hey well done on your runs & breaking your PB on both 5 & 10k!! Congrats on the weightloss too, thats cool to be just 3lbs from your lowest adult weight & a great achievement, you sound so chuffed image

Gazmonkey good luck with your 5k!

Been a good week for me, two runs with my mum who's on wk1 of c25k, finished my wk4 today shaving 2mins off last weeks 2.78m & managing to run more once the app(c25k) was finished, felt pretty good today & in glorious sunshine! Also lost 2lbs so that's 11lb since I started running but I'm really losing inches too as getting clothes on that were waaaay too tight before! Starting wk5 on Sunday.....gulp! 

• Options

Wk5 day1, done today & was hard but not too bad & in sunshine again! Looked at they'd rest of wk5 & I don't think I'll manage day3 which is 20mins running, may be easier in the town than my hilly route, we shall see how day2 goes which is 2 8min runs with walking in between image

• Options

Gaz - looking forward to hearing how you found the 5k.

Pegasus - Good progress, keep up the excellent work! With regard to day 3, you CAN do it! Just drop the pace back a touch and think happy thoughts!

I had a mixed weekend. I had to shuffle my Saturday workout to friday Lunchtime as I was on a stag do all weekend. Again, by focussing on my cadence and stride length I was able to produce some great times and splits, in spite of a tough thursday workout!

Stag do over the weekend was tough. Food wise, i tried to avoid carbs and stick with meats. As I took in more than enough carbs in Lager and Cider! Though it must be said I controlled myself much more on this stag do than I normally do. Hopefully it won't have too bad an impact on Friday's weigh in.

Then yesterday I had to suffer my penance for a weekends indulgence. In Somerset yesterday it felt like the end of the world. Wind, rain, hail, sleet and low low temperatures- I had it all on my 16 miler. Finished it though within my guide pace and the run itself didn't actually feel too bad. It was just the weather which made it bad. 

Rest day today thankfully, I need it!

• Options

Good stuff Pegasus, you can definitely do it. Like Matty said, drop the pace down and power through. I did find it incredibly tough tho!

Glad you had a good weekend Matty. Good to have a blowout once in a while. I love stag dos when they are not your own lol! 

5k went well.

5.6km in a total time of 42:05mins.

Average pace of 7:32min/km

Had to stop roughly 4 times tho but just pleased I managed to complete it image

Rest day today then back to C210K tommorw!

Hope all had a good weekend.

• Options
    Well done all on your weekends work!

I had a frustrating week last week, completed week 3 day 2 of c25k without issue on Monday then my niggly ankle flared up so had to rest it the rest of the week. Did a quick paced 6 mile walk at the weekend with my mum and had no ankle issues which was a relief.

Completed week 3 day 3 this morning felt good again, though had my first off road wipe out, there was mud everywhere and managed to fall right into a mud puddle..fab!! Apart from that again completed it without issue and no ankle reaction so far. I think until my ankle gets used to running again I may need two recovery days between runs rather than one, but I'll play it by ear.
  • Options

Completed week 3 day 3 this morning felt good again, though had my first off road wipe out, there was mud everywhere and managed to fall right into a mud puddle..fab!!

Where's your camera when you need it! image

If you're ankle is sore mate, I would definitely have two days recovery. Don't want to make it worse. Good job with the running though image.

I feel ok so I have decided to run Week 5 session 2 tonight image.

5 R + 3W , 8R + 5W , 5R

• Options

Yeah i think im over the hill with my ankle now, no aching or anything since my run, i think because of the issues i had a few years back its just really tight, ive been doing some specific exercises for the PTT and it seems to be working (touch wood).

week 5 certainly ramps it up, week 4 which ill start wed/thu isnt too bad and i dont think ill have much trouble with it, but week 5 onwards is going to start to push me i think.

im glad there was no-one around when i wiped out, id love to say i tripped on a tree stump or some rocks, but i literally slipped on flat ground! (though it was very wet!)

• Options

Week 5 Session 2 completed. 4.5k in total. Managed to continuously run throughout the running sessions. Not looking forward to tomorrow's though:

10mins running, 5 walking 10 running. Its a pretty big test for myself image

• Options

Gaz - Indeed, love a good stag! I enjoyed this one even more by drinking slightly less too image Cracking effort with your 5k! You've now got a great "Official" starting point to start warching that time come down, which for the first few months ill happen naturally if you just keep doing what you are doing image Especially if you feel good enough to go out right away again! Keep it up image

Ross - Injury sucks, and as hard as it sounds when you are keen, sometimes it really is best to have a day or two off. I hope for a speedy resolution! Wiping out isn't nice either - I did it spectacularly myself not long back, and I WISH someone had captured it, I'm sure it would have been hilarious!

Rest really helped, and had a good early night. Feel JUST about ready for tonights intervals but that could all change between now and the end of the working day image

• Options

My best wipeout was last year on my bike. I did a 26 mile bike ride at peak district for charity (bad idea! spent most of it walking but good day out with the boys none the less) and was about to hit a downhill section when the front wheel twisted under my weight and I went flying over the handle bars.

A little girl who was watching with her dad summed it up brilliantly when she said "hes not very good on his bike, is he daddy?"

No, no I'm not lol.

Good luck tonight matty. Night off for myself image.

• Options

Ross hope the ankle is still holding out & well done on the runs despite wiping out in the mud lol!!

gaz congrats on your 5k that's a fab achievement & I must admit to laughing at you going arse over tit on your bike, hope it didn't hurt too much at the time though!!

matty hope you're feeling more rested after the stag do & your mammoth run.

Thanks for the encouragement folks, wk5 day2 done today in pishing rain & wind, did it in the town which was easier & was naughty as I kept running for the cool down so last run was 12mins. Felt ace today & really strong so I reckon my hilly country route is building by fitness & stamina nicely even though I find it tough!! 

Oh & edited to add I just ordered my FR 220, cant wait to get my hands on it image

• Options

Gaz - top wipeout, thats way better than mine, ill try to do better next time!

Pegasus - Thanks my ankle is doing OK, no reaction to mondays run, im still going to leave my next run and the first week of week 4 until at least thursday though just to make sure.

Good work on ordering the FR220 - its nice, i use it as my day to day watch and its so quick at finding satellites, no hanging around which is great

• Options

Gaz - your story reminds me of something that happened to my step dad. I had transported my bike in my car. To transport it I had to remove the front wheel. I keep it in my mum and his garage as I'm in a flat with no outdoor storage, so I just rested the fork on the wheel and left it there.

Of course he decided to go for a ride on it. Pulled on the handlebars to go up a curb and the front wheel came off, trundled down the road and he went forks first into the pavement!!

I didn't see it but whenever I picture it in my head, I chuckle. I'm sure his and yours hurt a lot though!!

Pegasus - great to see you braving the elements in the name of your mission image As for extending your run... if it feels good, do it! Nothing stopping you image

Also, fantastic choice with the FR220. Like Ross I tend to wear mine every day too.

Ross - very wise waiting til thursday. But if it still isn;t right don;t be afraid to wait til friday or further.

• Options

First run of Week 12 of my Marathon training plan last night. A 60 minute interval session. 10mins Top and tail with 2m30 intervals and 2m30 recoveries.

Thanks to my new cadence advice I managed to average about 7m/m for the intervals. Very fast indeed for me, and I tell you I felt like I was really running!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/455179817

5 easy miles due for me tonight. Going to attempt it at the "Top End" of my Easy pace which is about 9.10m/m - will let you know how I hold out with it!

• Options

Have fun with the FR220, you are making me want to get one now! I may treat myself after I have finished the C210K program and release myself into the wild image.

Like Matty said, If you feel good, go for it. I sometimes run for my cooldown bit. I didn't last time though as I was knackered!

Very fast times there matty, I have topped out at bout 11min/m lol!

C210K Week 5:3 tonight. 8mins running, 5 walking, 8 running1 Getting tougher now!

happy running all

• Options

Gaz, everyone deserves a treat, and a treat for completing the program seems like a good reason for a treat to me!

Fear not about speed, it just comes with time. Remember I'm 12 months further down the line image

Anther good session for me last night. 5miles Easy with new cadence/stride work. Faster than expected so all moving in the right direction image

• Options

Gaz - hope the run went well last night, im starting to understand about things getting harder now! and deffo treat yourself, having a gps watch is the single best thing ive bought for motivation, im a stat freak so i love going through all the data after my runs!

So ive just done week 4 day 1 of C25k and can now see things getting harder, it was my most difficult day by far, but also ended up being my best. Todays run was

3min run, 2 min walk.....4min run, 3 min walk X2 and 3min run, 2 min walk, with a 5 min walk on either side.

The first 3 min run was fine, the first 4 min run i started to get pretty tired, which surprised me a bit, it was the first point in the last 3/4 weeks that i'd felt any real struggle, but luckily i pushed through. The second 4 min was fab, probably the best few mins of running ive done, i felt like i could run forever, i've no idea why the first 4 min was tough and the second so easy

By the time i got to the last 3 min run i was full of energy and pushed the last 3 mins pretty hard, instead of walking the last 2 mins i carried on running and then walked the last 5, felt really good.

Looking at my stats after the run, at one point during that last 2 min walk that i actually ran i was going at  about 6.50 pace image (don't worry it wasn't for long!) Overall on the run, including the 10 mins of warm up walking i averaged below 12 min pace for the lot, so was pleased with that.

Through the last 3 weeks of c25k its always been even walk/run times i think now the run times are higher and the walk times less is probably why i struggled at the start, in the first 4 min run i couldn't see myself doing a second over 4 mins of running, on the second 4 min i felt like i could just keep going and going. Its bizarre as all that separated the 2 was a 3 min walk!

Anyway im rambling alot, 2 other things from today, 1) my calves are now really tight, which isn't something ive had before. and 2) i used a new GPS watch today a Suunto Ambit, my god what a piece of kit it is, its pretty big so unlike the FR220 i really noticed it, but for a stat and gadget freak like me its awesome. you can customize 5 pages of info and even download apps and then add the apps onto the data screens...for example i downloaded a parkrun predictor time, which runs along side all the other data, super cool

Anyway, ill shut up now!

Ross

• Options

Gaz def treat yourself to a watch & hope the run went well.

matty yikes that is fast..........you trying to burn off the stag do before weigh day lol?!

Ross it's really strange isn't it? I felt the same my last run, first 8mins I struggled a bit then the last 8mins was actually enjoyable & I kept going for 12mins, any ideas why that is Matty? Well done on the run though image

It came today & I spent most of the day playing with it like a big kid! All set up for my run tomorrow & weather depending it's the big one of 20mins with 5mins walk either side, looking forward to it yet shitting it at the same time! 

A question, if I set up a training session on it like say tomorrow's run will it keep recording if I run longer than the set training session? Wk5d3 is 30mins but my route is around 37mins, am I better just using the phone app & the watch for recording stuff?  

• Options
    I'm not 100% sure Pegasus but I think if you use the watch for a specific training session you've created it stops once it's run through it
  • Options

Pegasus - Once you finish a session you have the option to "Resume" which is the default option - so just press the top right red button when you see that and you can keep on trucking image

Ross - Yep, it starts ramping up from here. The soreness is all normal just remember to take your rest days easy - they are more important than ever at this stage!

For me, I had a bad run yesterday. Meant to be a 50minute tempo run, but only managed 15 minutes or so at tempo pace before I had to ease off. Jogged all the way home. I think my new technique is affecting my muscles as I haven;t used them as much this way before.

Then a double whammy. Scales reported a 2lb weight gain. The numbers simply don't add up when I think about the calories consumed and burned - including the stag do - but will write it off and hope for a better week next week.

Feeling gloomy, but everyone has bad days and I'm not about to let it get me down. 30 days to Paris image

• Options

Matty definitely don't let the weight gain get you down, it could be because you're adding more muscle mass with your different training? Keep that chin up & keep going you've already lost so much weight I would imagine it will get harder the closer you get to target plus you are training for a marathon which requires a lot of energy & food image

Thanks for the tips re the garmin, I just used the run button in the end but good to know I can use resume! Well I did it the full 20mins plus another 10mins walk/run & shaved 3 mins off my time, hills were a killer towards the end though & it was bloody windy as per! Lost 2lbs this week so that's 13lbs since starting running image

Loving the 220, was so good to glance at it & see the times etc & brilliant to check everything out on garmin connect, good choice & would recommend! 

• Options

Glad you are enjoying the 220 Pegasus image

Well I had some issues this weekend. Saturday evening went for a run with the missus and right from the start was experiencing some serious lower back pain, just above the buttocks. It felt like I was missing a shock absorber or something. Awful feeling. Managed to control the pace and make it just about bearable for the 4ish miles we did. 

Then I ummed and aahed about whether to complete the 22miler I had scheduled or not. In the end I went for it. Found it was easier uphill than downhill and actually towards the end I hardly noticed.

Rest day today but will be interesting to see how I get on with it tomorrow.

• Options

Forgive me forum for I have sinned.

Sunday.....Zazazabazaar's in Bristol. (all u can eat + me = carnage)

This Friday....Cheltenham races (Gold Cold) Guinness o clock!!

I live about a mile away from Cheltenham race course so my jogging adventures may well come to a complete halt for 4 days now due to all the p*ssheads walking around (me lol).

Back on it Sunday image.

Sorry to hear about the back pain Matty.