Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Jimbob all the way wrote (see)

...I'm a regular at the Gunners - born and bred dirty gooner and proud! 

*spits*

yer_maj wrote (see)

Liking that I've been away for a couple of days and seem to have gained a shiny new reputation as a demented, axe wielding psycho though image

Gained? Don't you mean you already had one?

TD - didnt see your message. Yep - that's the plan. I rarely run along the canals here but in the UK - it's one that I avoid. We've already got the wind - driving to work today was quite dangerous

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

We've seen the photo !!!

• Options

Emmy,

*blows you a kiss right back*

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jimbob -it's only because you're absolutely fantastic and I liked you before i knew you were a dirty gooner image

• Options
    Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see)

Jimbob -it's only because you're absolutely fantastic and I liked you before i knew you were a dirty gooner image

ahhh thanks Em - you're pretty special, actually one in a million (even if you do support the vermin) image

• Options

Hello everyone.  Mind if I join in?  I would say 'Room for a small one?' only I'm not small.  Doing the Paris Marathon, never run one before.  Feeling a bit freaked out now that I'm really doing it.  Today I was almost running horizontally due to the wind.  Good luck to one and all over the coming months.

• Options

Hi Leggymountbatten, welcome to the thread!

You'll love it here, it's lovely. So what kind of running do you like doing - 5ks? Half marathons?

I've been running for about three-ish years, 9 half marathons and 3 marathons in that time, as well as 125 parkruns, a few 10ks etc etc. I'm in East Anglia (the rump of the UK!) but really an expatriated Scot. We've got a fair few Londoners but a massive Caledonian Massive too.

Paris is brilliant, did it this year and it was fab. Really looking forward to it next year!

• Options

Leggy - Welcome to the thread. You've picked a great event for your first marathon. Stick around and ask any questions or share any worries you have. Plus don't worry, freaking out about running a marathon is perfectly normal.

• Options

Welcome LeggyMountbatten! Plenty of room for you to join in. Please. Pull up a stool and tell us about yourself.

All your questions will be answered, and then some you never even knew to ask. Be prepared for quite a lot of talk about poo, wee and smut.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

None of this will affect my session in the gym tonight on the flippy flappy machine*. Going to do an intervals equivalent session.

*Maus calls it an 'Elliptical trainer'. image

I could say it was because I like to be precise, but it's really only because I thought I was daft at not knowing what it was...image

• Options
    Jimbob all the way -... and i'm planning to put Scoot through his paces!

I think you'll find Scoot has left the building and is now crying into his soya milk at the thought of getting put through his paces ,,, is this all because i ,,, err I mean he kissed you at that last get together ???

Welcome leggy to a great event and a great virtual support network ,your in safe hands ,

There was a discussion about midweek long tempo runs and I'm a convertered fan now , getting your body used to marathon paced runs is one thing I've been lacking in my previous two marathon attempts ,,

Ten miles completed last night before today's storms , hope everyone has or had a safe run today ,,

Let's be careful out there !!!
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Leggy - welcome.

I really was planning to go for a run, this evening - as the wind had died down a bit. However, when it got home and found a large chunk of one of our trees blocking the pavement I decided against it.

Pavement cleared, staying in now image

• Options

Good evening! May I join in? image

Yesterday, I decided to sign up for my first marathon - and a quick google brought this thread to my attention.

I'm currently up to around 13 miles, pounding footpaths along the Thames, and feeling quietly confident – although dreading being extra disciplined over Christmas.

Don't think I'll focus too much on a time: main goal is to be able to finish it and, hopefully enjoy it so much that I will have an urge to do more in the future and then focus on times after that.

Excuse my lack of patience to trawl through the previous 225 pages but do people generally feel Paris is a good first marathon to run? I picked it because thought it would be more enjoyable to do a marathon that passes a lot of sights that I have yet to see and it is a relatively flat course.

• Options

It will be my first.  Welcome!

I feel strangely compelled to enter Edinburgh too.  That would be barking mad, wouldn't it?  Paris might show me that 26 miles isn't my distance.  I shall resist.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Evening, all.

My garden looks lovely...all covered in snow  image The wind has died down ..although it might just be going south, now.

Welcome to the thread , Leggy and as90. The ' message' facility on the forum is a bit wonky but you should have some stuff in your Inbox. I'm biased, Paris was my first marathon and , like for a lot of the thread,  it's a bit of an annual event now..the Start is spectacular, you pass everything you've ever seen in the guidebooks and, and...*Yes, it's very scenic and, yes, it's very flat...but we also come back for the company. And the pub. You'll have a good time.*

• Options

Hello and thank you, Away in T Manger. I messaged you back.

And looking out of my window at work in London at the moment – the wind still looks pretty bad. Just as well I pencilled today in as a rest day. Although planning on a long run tomorrow, so it better pass off!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

AS90 - hi. Paris was my first too - after being rejected from London. Next year will be my third time (Paris and rejection image) - does that give you an idea of what it's like?

The course is mainly flat, a couple of inclines on the exits of some underpasses. The sights are stunning - don't forget to look (I know one person who missed the Eiffel Tower !! - you lurking Sean?)

The support from the locals is great. There are some quiet bits but there are some incredible bits too.

And then there's this forum. This bunch of people are like a second family.

Yes, we talk about running a bit but we also talk about lots of other things from the best technology to how to take a leak in the pens without being spotted.

And when we get to Paris the fun really starts.

Stick around, join in. Ask any question you can think of. 

Oh, and post your Bib number and pen and the List Fairy will update the runners list.

• Options

Orbutt - more than one person missed the Eiffel Tower image.

as90 - running the Thames footpaths? We may have met image. There's a few of us who are London based - which bit are you in? Agree with others it's a good first marathon and well organised (with a few bizarre aspects to the organisation that makes it uniquely French) but stick around and we'll keep you right. All your questions can be answered here - fire away.

Kirsten - if you're considering Edinburgh, be aware that most of it's not actually in Edinburgh. They take you straight out of the city centre, then it's an out and back along the coast through East Lothian. It's not actually the most scenic of races.

• Options

Yes, We Wish You A Merry Orbutt – rejected for London too so thought a trip on the Eurostar and a weekend in France would be quite pleasant instead. Plus, as I've said, seeing some different sites will hopefully make it even more enjoyable. My bib number is 63408. 

Hello Running Reindeer – perhaps you have. I generally run in a loop from Westminster Bridge to Rotherhithe via London Bridge and Bermondsey, though the constant skipping in and out of people getting pictures taken at various tourist hotspots can get quite frustrating at times!

• Options

Hello to Leggy and as90 - I'm a first time marathoner too. I crashed this forum about two months ago. They twisted my arm of rubber to sign up for Paris - I had really intended waiting a year. But what could be better then Paris for the first time?

I was tempted to complain about the weather today but given that the winds were only 26mph here that would be really asking to get laughed at. Still quite challenging running strides into the wind though, makes me quite crossimage Hoping that threaders in Scotland and East Anglia and everywhere are warm and dry.

Sort-of-P&D training going well in week1. 11m with tempo and 8m with strides done so far.

• Options

Hello! Did five miles tonight from home as club was cancelled-nothing major to report other than a fallen tree on the path.

we have lost our bin though, the little food recycling one. Hopefully it'll turn up tomorrow in the daylight.

off to that there London tomorrow night for basement jaxx at Brixton-anyone else coming?

• Options
    Evening all. Welcome new people I'm also new and have been treated great by everyone here so don't be shy. I didn't run tonight my dad turnt up to see my daughter so used it as an excuse to skive abit but did go to boxercise which I found suprisingly easy don't know if my fitness is better than I thought or the class wasn't that intense either way was enjoyable.

KS - atleast it's only you bin you lost have the winds died down now?

How do people no bib numbers should I have mine already? I'm running for charity if this makes it different?
  • Options

Hi as90, hi Leggy

Aaron - if you go to the ASO challenges site (if you registered there). Login, go to Marathon de Paris under the My Races tab, on the left side, there's a bar that pops up with My Order. Click see detail and it'll come up with a page showing your bib number and what colour pen you're in. Charity entries might be different tho. The charities maybe don't submit details of who's taking up the places until nearer the time in case people drop out because of injury

• Options

Welcome all the new folks!

My experimentation on the anti-gravity treadmill continue.  This is a cutback week for me (40 miles this week), so I had a short 6 miler today and decided to make it an interval session - was able to alternate 8 min miles with 7 min miles, very happy with that.

Weedy - no progress to report yet on my 4 min mile attempt, but stay tuned image

The day finishes tinged with sadness at the death of Nelson Mandela.  I am proud and privileged to have been his countryman.  Comrades will be a little more special next year.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

AS90- Welcome! As Reindeer said - there are a few london based groupies and they sometimes organise runs.

Leggy Mountbatton - welcome as well image there's ALWAYS room for one more... whether that's a person or a drinkimage

Kirsten - not at all... I had already signed up to two other marathons before I ran my first image

I really don't feel that I can complain about the weather but my run this morning definitely felt tougher! It's warmed up funnily enough - no ice this morning.

• Options
    Great to see so many newbies on here.

Talking of losing things in the wind, yesterday our 10ft trampoline went missing. I noticed it just wasn't there, then looked over into next doors garden and it was trying to over their fence too.

'Twas my Xmas party last night so feeling rather delicate, my 6 mile run will need to wait until this afternoon.

Although I'm still putting a lot of miles in, my head is telling me training doesn't really start until Xmas/New Year is out of the way
  • Options

As90 - sounds familiar, I'm down towards Greenwich direction. My standard 20 mile route starts at Kew and goes down the river enduring at Greenwich. You do have to get a bit pointy-elbowed round about Westminster and the Tower of London, but apart from that it's a nice run.

• Options

Aaron, you're totally right - at least it was just our food bin and not a 10ft trampoline (or ourselves!)

RR I love that you have a standard 20mile... I have a standard 10. Think I might need to pick up the LSR a bit! Speaking of, is anyone doing the Surrey Spitfire 20 in March?

• Options

Hi LeggyM and AS90 - you are both very welcome. Feel free to tell us more about yourselves and ask ATM if you can post a pic on the Rogues Gallery. Hint for everyone else - lodge a new photo with her so new people know what you look like.

Tried to destroy the flippy flappy machine in the gym last night but it kept the upper hand. Made it up to 97% MHR though which was a good workout. Treated myself to my furst run in 4 weeks at the end for a cool down - 600m at 5min/km pace and a final 400m at 4min pace. Loved it. Itching to start running again next week.

And I am particularly excited today because Santa's Little Helper Marathon Maus is coming over. Feel like a teenager inside. Grown men shouldn't be like this, right?!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hey Tricky - why shouldn't you? BTW, can't see a photo of you there. Get Maus to break out the camera when she gets there. On second thoughts.......best not. 

• Options

Orbutt - ATM said that she keeps the naked ones for her own private collection, so I had to send one in where I had something on, although skimpy running vest and shorts were permissible.