Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Agreed! I always do my most brutal run 2 weeks before a half and then start to ease off a bit. I'd say a longish tempo run is perfect for this!

ps, ignore the comments above about me not training! Last year's Paris was a one off and I've trained plenty for the half marathons I've done image

• Options

mmmmmm..............I am in agony.......to the stage it feels like someone has kicked me severely around the arse.......it even feels swollen and its f******n big enough at normal size.........what o what have I done.......image

And my evening got worse when I went sliding down a grassy embankment(accidently )on my back tonight in front of heaps o bairns and their parents......

And now I know where I went wrong during my last HM race.........I wasnt supposed to do a 18 mile LSR with 10 miles at mp 3 days before...........why wasn't I told this earliler!! image

• Options

Forgot there was a plus side to my trip to Kirkwall - Tescos have improved the range of Gluten free items they stock! I must say I was well impressed - we now have the cookies DV was raving about, gluten free breakfast bars(which I assume are similar to belvita that everyones raving about), lots of cakes and different breads. I bought the breakfast bars, thought they might be handy for Berlin.......now I have realised that I will not be doing a long run to test them - will my postie round do??? image

• Options

ATM - there's one other of our Belfast group signed up so far, a few are waiting to hear on the London ballot before making their minds up, although I'm not sure if that's leaving it too late?

• Options
    Lawyeraaron wrote (see)

I could use a little advice.  I have a half marathon on Oct 6 which I would like to PR (probably haven't trained enough, but that's another conversation).  In the middle of each week, usually on Tuesday or Wednesday I do a little speed work, 6 miles with the middle 4 at HM pace or maybe 7 with the middle 5 at HM pace.  This week I would do that run wednesday night.

However, I am running a 14k race on Saturday, Sept 21 and was thinking about using it as a prep race, running the entire distance at HM pace.  My longest HM pace run so far has been the wednesday night runs. The 14k is 2 weeks before the half marathon. (this is the race that fell on a day I was originally scheduled to run 13 LSR, but I rearranged my schedule)

So, good idea, bad idea?  Too close to the HM to run that pace for that distance?  If I do try to run the 14k at HM pace should I still run the wednesday night run 7 w 5 at HM pace?  What about next wednesday's run?

thx

L.A I would say deffo 14k at a lively pace. Maybe not half marathon pace, but "pacey" 

race pace on the day will be quicker as race adrenaline gives you an extra gear. You don't want to be recreating that sort of speed in training sessions. Your speed work comes in other forms, like intervals etc. Do a solid 14k tempo run. Warm up first couple of miles and finish strong. 

• Options

Scratch all that, I didn't realise the 14k was a race. Yes go for it but keep the remaining training sessions in between that and RPH sensible, you don't want to pull muscles by going at it too much!

• Options

LA - agree with the others. Do the race at HM pace, but make the Wednesday run an easy one instead.

Someone (sorry, can't remember who) said they were doing Amsterdam for the first time this year. A few of us on here did it last year - any questions, just shout.

• Options

MacPerky - mature ? Bwaaaaah image 

The only use for mature in this forum would be for describing cheese.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Emma, the London rejects image usually get a place. and they end up feeling ok about it...image Paris fills up faster every year, though.

• Options

I've a feeling I'm going to enjoy this thread.

Ward - what glutes exercises do you/does your missus recommend?

Lawyeraaron - I reckon you'll be OK; go for it. But I'm no expert so don't go calling Lawyers4U if it all goes pear shaped. Which HM are you running? I'm doing Cardiff on 6th Oct.

I was going to run at lunchtime today but didn't fancy the 10 minute walk to and from the sports centre in torrential rain. Happy to run in rain, just prefer not to spend the afternoon steaming quietly in the office whilst others look on and tut about how I'm steaming up the windows. Oooh, we're back to Yer_Maj, glutes and photos again.

Best leave it there.

Just short of 11 miles to run tomorrow morning to get to work; a combination of road and cycle track.

• Options
    PC - wrote (see)

Welcome Newbies,

Paris 2013 was my first marathon and I'm the lazy one of the bunch. The others are being modest, they are a great bunch of people. You can get advice from the colour of socks to serious injuries. 

PC - Don't buy black socks from a normal shop. They sell what look like black socks, but if you look closely, you'll see they're very, very, very, very, very, dark blue.

James B - they might surprise you. Would make a great story for the local papers when you complete it.

DV - Keyser Suze is in purple, 27496 (she's prob busy with wedding plans)

• Options

I like a bit of cheddar on a cream cracker. Talking of cream crackers, I have just swam a  mile and am rather tired.

Weedy - I always wear white socks. Are black ones faster?

• Options

Evening all. Braved the rain today but only for 5K! 

I've just messaged Sal and Maus for their Paris guides which should be helpful reading! I also already have that Advanced Marathon P&D book which is very helpful even for a marathon novice image

• Options

Aha Weedy! Can't see your name on THE LIST yet it was a strong recommendation from you that encouraged me to apply... you not running? 

• Options
    benignmurmurring wrote (see)

Its fine to call me BM. I will be following everyones training with interest.

I don't know.  In a thread obsessed with the Bristol Stool Chart, I would think being called BM might be a slippery slope indeed.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Forgot there was a plus side to my trip to Kirkwall - Tescos have improved the range of Gluten free items they stock! I must say I was well impressed - we now have the cookies DV was raving about, gluten free breakfast bars(which I assume are similar to belvita that everyones raving about), lots of cakes and different breads. I bought the breakfast bars, thought they might be handy for Berlin.......now I have realised that I will not be doing a long run to test them - will my postie round do??? image

Can you remind me next week and I'll bake you some GF choc chip cookies and bring them to Berlin. Hubby says that they're better than the one from tesco's and I'd appreciate your opinion!

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    PC - wrote (see)

Welcome Newbies,

Paris 2013 was my first marathon and I'm the lazy one of the bunch. The others are being modest, they are a great bunch of people. You can get advice from the colour of socks to serious injuries. 

PC - Don't buy black socks from a normal shop. They sell what look like black socks, but if you look closely, you'll see they're very, very, very, very, very, dark blue.

image father ted quote! Legendary!

• Options

Preferential
    -

Red/Rouge
    3169 The Jimbob
    3537 Lorry Dodger

Yellow/Jaune
    8073 Clean Leeds Rob
    8890 CiaronG

Blue/Bleu
    14377 Kaz1
    16332 Ward6

Purple/Violette
    26005 Stewart
    26086 Emmy H
    26090 Whaqatac
    26097 Suzy Martines
    26113 yer_maj
    26220 ATM
    26278 Helterskelter
    26347 Orbutt
    26696 Eggyh73
    27359 Manfred
    27496 Keyser Suze
    27535 Lawyeraaron

Green/Vert
    38246 Wordslinger
    38273 SweatySock
    38340 Emma Goldhawk 2
    38436 Brix
    38959 Steve Hawtin
    39040 Running RaRa
    40429 NGUG
    40742 Scott the Walker

Grey/Grise
    51228 Odie85
    51229 TartanPimpernel
    52142 Dannirr
    52163 BRF
    52193 Marathon Maus

Pink/Rose
    58102 Kirsten Burnett
    58106 SmellyMelly
    58270 Classicaldiva
    58329 Harry P
    58922 DV

• Options

How's your arse this morning Kaz?

Dannirr - don't be depressed - I see that story as aspirational. Although quite annoying.

Weedy - can you add the Clarendon Way 1/2 marathon on 6th October to the list for me - thanks

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

I'm depressed:

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/ed-whitlock-breaks-80-half-marathon-world-record

Great story!

Just think of all these elite athletes we have seen over the recent years...   I wonder how many of them will continue to run in their later years and shatter these records.....   just got to stay alive another 50 years and we'll find out...!

• Options
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Pleae check your name and number...  if I made a mistake or you are missing, please just post a message and I will edit it..   lots of people missing I'm sure...!

PC - wrote (see)

Welcome Newbies,

James B - they might surprise you. Would make a great story for the local papers when you complete it.

DV - Keyser Suze is in purple, 27496 (she's prob busy with wedding plans)

Thanks Weedy, was just going to do that!

Yup, wedding's a go-go. Mama KS arrived yesterday. She's already managed to arrive at the worst time traffic-wise( 5pm), brought her expensive digital camera that she's never used because she's lost the cable AND unplugged our landline. On the other hand, she's very excited about The Wedding, is organised in the costume department and brought some ace photos of me as a little 'un to put up on our photo wall. 

Oh, I should say - as well as living in Norwich I'm an expat Caledonian too, and can be seen wearing my Saltire buff with pride on the chillier runs. 

And we have a crate of irn bru for the reception.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

benignmurmurring - throw caution to the wind and Euros at the PC.

Notes not coins, coins hurt.

DV - you're one of the founding members of the group, highly respected, ultra-ultra runner and The List Fairy. I think you need a lot of motivation and discipline, especially when taper madness arrives. Perhaps you should charge people for moving pens.  PC – Purple – 28274  (sub 4 or die)

Clean Leeds Rob – perhaps it’s not a name but an instruction, requires a bit of spit and polish and a lot of elbow grease.

RR – there should be a Boston list especially for you. Bravo.

TJB – Amazing. That was a memorable gesture by OO50 to top off an excellent day, I bet all those personalities were excited to meet The JimBob.

• Options

RR - Sore but no as  bad as last night.........can only be good....

KS - I know you will be extremely busy over the next few days, so Good Luck, I hope everything goes to plan and I am sure you will have a ball! ENJOY!! 

• Options
    RunningRaRa wrote (see)

Aha Weedy! Can't see your name on THE LIST yet it was a strong recommendation from you that encouraged me to apply... you not running? 

Crumbs RaRa, nothing good ever came from taking my advice... except this, you'll love Paris. And I'll put a fiver down now that says you'll be back in 2015. I'm in, blue pen, I've just not got round to going back into ASO and getting my number. I'm in the sub 3.39 or die club, altho humming and haaing whether I've got what it takes to join the sub 3.30 or die club.

Kaz - how's the glutes? And the chimp? And the chimp's glutes come to think of it - he should be feeling sore if you've given him a proper kick up the a***.

Suze - Irn Bru at the wedding, ace image I think we need to see some of these photos as well image

Simon - pink seems to be the in colour this season.

• Options

Scott - There's absolutely no way you should be in the green pen. You're a purple/blue man if ever I saw one.

• Options
    PC - wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

benignmurmurring - throw caution to the wind and Euros at the PC.

Notes not coins, coins hurt.

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

RR - Sore but no as  bad as last night.........can only be good....

KS - I know you will be extremely busy over the next few days, so Good Luck, I hope everything goes to plan and I am sure you will have a ball! ENJOY!! 

Thank you Kaz! Yippee! xx

RunningRaRa wrote (see)

Crumbs RaRa, nothing good ever came from taking my advice... except this, you'll love Paris. And I'll put a fiver down now that says you'll be back in 2015. I'm in, blue pen, I've just not got round to going back into ASO and getting my number. I'm in the sub 3.39 or die club, altho humming and haaing whether I've got what it takes to join the sub 3.30 or die club.

Kaz - how's the glutes? And the chimp? And the chimp's glutes come to think of it - he should be feeling sore if you've given him a proper kick up the a***.

Suze - Irn Bru at the wedding, ace image I think we need to see some of these photos as well image

Simon - pink seems to be the in colour this season.

Oh yes, there will be photos - some might sneak on some facebook while we're in SF but there'll be proper ones coming on when we get back in October. 

Weather forecast is brightening up for le weekend as well image

Just on the running front, could someone please tell me what the full name is of the P&D book? I fancy ordering that/buying it in the US to get on the sub 4 training post honeymoon...

• Options

Oh, I've managed to append my post on the bottom of the quote, how did I do that??

• Options

It's Pftizinger and Douglas, Advanced Marathoning.

• Options

I just thought that I'd register with ASO to be ready for Paris 2015. Then I just clicked on 'register'  for 2014 out of curiosity.

...and it was like the mouse moved of its own accord and a big SUBMIT button was there .......and I pressed it. Grey bib, number 53233. My heart is now beating at tempo pace whilst sitting at my desk.