Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here! image

I just signed up today to run for "La Fondation ARC pour la recherche sur le cancer"

I ran the London Marathon 2013 for Cancer Research and am super excited to be doing Paris next year!

I trained from December-April for London as per the training programme I followed but definitely felt I could have done more. Longest training run was 18 miles.

On the day I followed the 4hr 45min pacemaker, ran for 16 miles totally fine, started to get blisters until mile 18 when my achilles tendon on my right ankle refused to take my weight anymore.  I carried on to the end but had to walk the final 6 miles and was really upset about it image

So this time I plan to start training now and give myself an extra 2 months conpared to last time.I don't really run at the moment, just 2.5k to pole dance class and back once a week but feeling totally comfortable doing that.  Went out and did a 5k the other night and felt totally fresh so I'm not really sure where to take it from here...start a couch to marathon style programme?  Or just jump into Hal Higdon's Novice plan as before??  

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hi Emma, welcome to the thread image

The ideal place to start marathon training is from a good solid base of running regularly.  If you're doing the Hal novice 1 programme then that's 4 times a week isn't it?  I would suggest building your running up so you get used to going out at le7-ast 3 times a week before you start...and be comfortably running distances of up to 8 miles otherwise the long runs are going to come as a bit of a shock to the system.  Ideally if you are running around 20 miles a week before youi start you're going to put yourself in a really strong position.

That Hal programme only has one 20 miler in it too (I used it for my first marathon a couple of years ago)...I fiddled with it a bit to get 3 x 20 miles instead of 1 and I got around very comfortably, running all the way.

Most of all, stick around here.  Almost everything I know about running has come from this thread.  Almost everything I know about a whole heap of other things has come from this thread too...some of which I wish I didn't.

• Options

strolls in casually,,,, oh hello emma ,, welcome to the thread,

plus one for what yer maj said ,, you reallly want a good base of regular running before embarking on the marathon training programme , i also tried the higdon plan but im not the most consistent of runners , but it will give you a rough guide ,, but listen to your body as well

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emma - welcome. 

Yer Maj knows her stuff. Great idea starting now, the more time you can spend on your feet, the better. Start getting used to running 3 times a week with a long run at the weekend. Long is a relative term - if you run 5k then 7.5 is long. It just keeps getting longer.

BTW - how do you learn to be a Pole?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I married one.  I learned many, many things... image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Welcome Emma! I echo what Yer maj says. It's better to start out now to be ready for Hal's plan in December.

were all lovely.... And you might learn something tooimage

eugh. Lurgy is well and truly taking hold 

• Options

Some are more lovely than others...

Hi Emma. You shouldn't feel upset at having walked part of London. You finished a marathon - that's an amazing achievement, whether you ran all the way, walked all the way or crawled all the way.

Whaq - looks like an improvement on the last photo.

Emmy - get well soon.

Mel - can you see a podiatrist sooner? They might be your best bet.

• Options

Aw thanks you guys!  Totally agree with everything you've said, I remember the long runs being a total shock to the system last year and that's why I definitely would like to prepare myself better  this time round! image

I've been attacked by the dreaded lurgy too, which is annoying as I was feeling all motivated to start training properly...next time, Gadget...

I'm pretty spoiled as we live on the harbour in Aberdeen so I have the beach on my doorstep, handy as it's a nice level route, it's the route for the Baker Hughes 10k and really easy to make little adjustments to make runs shorter / longer as I need.

However it's bloody windy so that's going to be my biggest offputting thing over winter!  I'm thinking maybe some forest runs are going to be more sheltered image...

Haha as for pole class, they don't call me Skinny Malinky Long legs for nothingimage

• Options

Hahaha Emma, we like you already!

Much as running along the beach must be wonderful it must get a bit difficult in an Aberdeen winter! I can't quite remember but I think there's a good riverside path along the river at Garthdee that might give some shelter. Presumably it runs from town so might be good for your long runs?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emma - that's funny, they don't call me Skinny Malinky Long Legs eitherimage

Another member of the Caledonian Massive

• Options

Haha you'll change your mind about that I'm sure image

Yep there's a great run along Riverside Drive, can also be adjusted a bit and you can veer off towards Duthie Park then up onto the Old Railway Line which takes you all the way out to Banchory image  Great in summer, slippery as, erm, a slippery thing in the ice :O

• Options

Woohoo mon the Scots!! image

• Options

The Caledonian massive is strong here. Have you got any races coming up. They'll probably be there. 

• Options

Emma - there's some fantastic trail running to be had in the Ballater/Balmoral area, if you can get there. The Balmoral estate is open to the public and there are loads of tracks and forest trails. Probably best not to run those on your own in winter, but if you can find someone to go with they're well worth the effort.

• Options

Quite happy to be representing le Massief Belgique and I am recruiting. Any takers? Emmy, you're in already. I was thinking further afield. Come on, I've got space for someone here. They've got to be foxy though.....

• Options

Hi Emma, I live just along the A96 in Elgin, but spent 10 years in Aberdeen. The beach boulevard is a great place to run, but as you say, it can be a bit 'breezy'. The Baker Hughes is my  2nd favourite 10K after Inverness. I don't know much about running, but if you need any advice about pole dancing , I 'm your man... There used to be a bar down by the docks called 'Crazy Daisy's' and I spent many a night there making a fool of myself...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

McPerky - shed !!!

• Options

Hi Emma , welcome to the madhouse. So you made two great choices, signing up for Paris, and decloaking in this wonderful virtual lounge. sometimes we'll even talk about running if we are feeling generous. Stick around, any questions or concerns you have about running Paris, where to stay, travel, anything or marathon training, can be answered here. 

so, tell us about the pole dancing lessons .... image

• Options

Mrs Mac has already sent me there Orbutt. Thank goodness I fixed the roof.

• Options

TD: Not sure if I'll meet your exacting standards but I will be looking for a new home once my gig on Isle of Maus finishes up.

It seems that the Caledonian Massive is filling up fast, so I, too, am looking further afield.

Perhaps le Massief Belgique would be right up my alley...image

• Options

Hello Paris marathoners - i'll join you in a while. it'll probably be my 30th or 31st ish marathon - my daughter's persuaded me to do this one woth her! my pb about 4yr ago at Stratford was 4:17 -  we've entered the 4:15 pen - now she and my coach (via the net) are talking sub 4! help.

we'll talk soon and i'll catch up on the thread- but im going back to the chester thread for a while.

• Options

Round these parts it is known as 'Sub 4 or Die' Wrexhamrob....

• Options

Hi all!  Is anyone else running Paris for Macmillan?

No long run for me this weekend as 5k race on Sunday, but almost have plan in place now, based on one of the P & D schedules (great book).

• Options

How come everyone seems to fix on a plan easily? I have rejected everything that I've looked closely at.

I'm not good with theme parks either, especially Disney. However, Park Asterix is cheaper, less crowded and French. Even a miserable-anti-theme-park-git like me can spend a happy hour there. Its got a lovely low-tech shabbiness to it that my kids thought was really funny. We are a slightly weird family though.

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Holla! Is anyone in here in for Amsterdam in a few weeks? It'd be good to put names to faces prior to Parie! 

• Options

Hi Weedy,

It is certainly good to have the cast fully removed now, at least I can take this boot off for sleeping and bathing. Still not weight bearing though, on crutches for a few more weeks at least.

Still doesn't look like I'll be running anytime soon but still have 184 days to get ready!!

I'm really hoping that the MRI they have done will show no long term damage, which I should find out next week.

Fingers crossed!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt - indeed it is for glycogen depletion (instrad of the old technique of a massive workout), but it also enhances carbohydrate absorption and storage as an independant action.  As TD says, it is well established now by Tim Noakes and others that you cannot prehydrate, and that drinking beyond thirst does not help, and may in fact hurt. Elite runners finish races about 9% down on their weight - and that seems to be ideal.  Bottom line: if not thirsty, dont drink. One more step though: water is not necesary for gel's to work at all (although it might make them go down easier).  Furthermore: elite runners dont drink water. They all drink something with calories, because to perform well, you gotta take in 60-90 g of carbs per hour and the only practicle way to do this is with a sports drink alone, or with gels.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hello newbies, welcome

Maus -how's your pole dancing going ?

• Options

As far as water is concernedI love my bottle belt. After using it in training I will def be using at Chester this Sun. Why run the gamut of water stations cups/squeezy pouches/ bottles when you can take them wide and have a sip when you fancy? 

Taper madness here...surprisingly not bothered about low mileage as was really ready a rest. However got that taper thing whereby you imagine all possible aches, pains and potential injuries. Roll on Sunday... 

Btw Emma's very brave mentioning pole dancing...on her first post...on here! Notice how friendly and helpful everyone suddenly got! Welcome Emma. image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I've got the taper thing too.  Everything niggles and aches. And I want to eat everything in sight.