Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Running rodent - many thanks for pointing out the RATP app, I'll definitely try this.

ATM I've sent you a message about the info you offered on the course etc

Whaq - thanks for your note on Disneyland Paris, some really good tips in there.  I can imagine getting the train tickets the day before will remove some anxiety on race morning.  I was planning going to the expo on the Thursday to avoid the queues on Saturday combined with a visit to the Eiffell tower with the family (as most of their time will be spent in the parks).  Sounds like I'll need to take some porridge and energy bars with me to get some complex carbs.

I'm running the Chester marathon this weekend as well, my legs feel really tired after Tuesdays massage and yesterday's final run (only 3 miles) felt really tough.  Must all be in the mind.  Just hoping I don't get a cold (like I did last year).  It'll

• Options

Slinkz - yup there's some of us in Amsterdam.  Pm weedy and emmyh.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

It'll be 5th marathon Chester this weekend, third there since first marathon in Oct 2011 (when I'd turned 40), London last year and Manchester earlier this year, fantastic to have Paris to look forward to. I'm hoping for sub 3:44 in Chester and moving towards 3:30 in Paris if that's possible. I picked bleu starting pen but at the mo closer to 3:45 than 3:30. Ready to start carb loading now for Sunday (day off work today and travelling to Chester from Leeds tomorrow for an overnight stay at the Holiday inn at the racecourse.  Next October hoping to do the York marathon rather than 4th at Chester (love the variety)

• Options

Ooh better organised than me! Left accomodation too late so it will be a 6am start from home. RunRichRun doing Rivington Trail Half tomorrow then we've a night out at the Lowry...busy, busy..

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yes, I'll be in Amsterdam. Should be good fun! Although I'll miss RS and RR in the stadium shouting at me!

lurgy is still in full swing... Is even making me contemplate not running Brussels marathon on Sunday (shock horror face).

am really glad it's Friday!

• Options

PC - My instructor tells me I'm coming along nicely. image

Fourth consecutive day of rain here on Isle of Maus. I'm hoping for a reprieve over the weekend so I can do a longer run.

Good luck for the weekend runners! Look forward to hearing your reports.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Andy - Good luck in Chester.

Emmy - Should you even be thinking of running this weekend with the lurgy? Your health comes before marathons.

Dannirr - That sounds like me everyday, never mind in the depths of taper madness.

A year ago today I was flying out to Chicago for the marathon. I didn't miss having to train for a marathon through the summer, but I wish I was heading back to ChiTown.

• Options

Maus - you were definitely in mind for joining Le Massief Belgique. Slide on over here now and let me show you my plan. Smirk

Good luck AndyW and other racers this weekend. Brussels Half for me although I have an incredibly sore spot on one of my hip flexors and the hamstring tendon injury I collected back in Easter has really not been fixed. Concerned not to start an intense winter training schedule with these things hanging around.

Dannir - I was surprised to read what you said "water is not necesary for gel's to work at all" - given your professional background i am not challenging you, but I do wonder about the precise meaning of what you say. Given (my understanding of) the key relationship between CHO and water in terms of absorption, are you saying that in practical terms, water is not critical for gels to work (assuming sufficient water already available in the gut), or are you saying that water has no role whatsoever in terms of the theoretical absorption of CHO? image Thanks.

• Options

My taper is driving me up the wall. I keep getting cramp all over the place. I'm convincing myself that its my legs filling up with Glycogen!

Sounds like you need a good storm, MM. We had a real humdinger last night and days of bad weather have all been lifted and its a glorious autumn day here in the westcountry image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Eggy - It's all above the chest so technically I'm alright to run... as I said - i'm just going to see how I feel tomorrow and Sunday morning.

Matty - Have you tried compression socks on your legs to help the cramp? Are you drinking enough water?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - if anyone deserves a rest, it's you. Only you can make the decision though.

Matty - compression sock are the so fashionable now image I wore mine on the flight to Berlin and they felt pretty good.

The cramps could just be Tapir Madness

• Options

Water is probably the cause. I haven;t tried compression socks, but I'm getting cramp in my quads and backs of my thighs so compression tights might be better. Though I definitely don't have the right physique to pull them off image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    What about a roller, Matty..and a read at the Trigger points stuff?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Andy. W,  I tried to email you but my mail bounced.  I've sent you a message through the forum. Could you email me, direct?

• Options

Many thanks to ATM for the information. As I start my training programme I'll need more and more advice from you you more experienced marathon runners. This will be only my third marathon & as I'm over the 50 age group I'll need to be a little more careful with my expectations and training. I have a great vibe about this forum and the welcome from all has been amazing thank you image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Steve - Ask away. I'm sure we have someone that can help

Orbutt - True. Did you wear shorts AND compression guards? Please say yes and please send me a pictureimage

TD - You're running Brussels too? Fancy a meet up for a drinkie afterwards? I have the Belgian Stool image I know a few people running the full and we're planning to meet up afterwards for lunch. The half starts at 10.30, right? I may be around a little longer than you but if you're happy to wait - send me a message. Will you be wearing BCRC colours?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    What about a roller, Matty..and a read at the Trigger points stuff?
  • Options

Emmy - take it easy, that's an order. Sub-4 profile pic image

Kaz - how's it going?

Trev - how's it going?

Everyone else - how's it going?

RaRa - we'd have given Emma just as nice a welcome if she'd said she was taking knitting lessons, honest. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Steve, you young whippersnapper, you...image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - I am  image working from home and everythingimage

I was forced to change my picture as I was told that my old one does not reflect who I am... image

• Options

I've done some reading on trigger points - interesting stuff, but not sure it fits with my niggles. A roller on the other hand seems pretty suitable, in absence of a decent massage from the missus!

Emmy - is that "working" from home, or actual working from from homeimage

I have lots of respect for pole dancers ...

... as the bouncers are generally pretty rough otherwise! image

• Options

Andy W - you will run past my house. Good luck.

• Options

Haha thanks you guys!  I used to play roller derby but needed something a bit less damaging both mentally and physically...I was a good skater but the bitch levels when you're in a group of 50+ girls can get too much to handle! :/

Pole is awesome, highly recommend it to runners both male and female, you will not find anything better for building up core strength image  Even if it does sound a bit weird telling everyone you're a pole dancer, haha!  I must admit it took me a while to build up the courage to go along because, quite frankly, I am the least girly girl I know and the prospect of stripper heels makes me feel nauseous!  Thankfully there's none of that so it's all good image

I think once I get past this cold/flu/whatever it is I'm going to get stuck into a 10k training schedule for the next 8 weeks.  That should work out just fine for starting with Mr Higdon's app in December image

• Options

Welcome to the thread Emma. Would you describe yourself more as a 'butch skinny malinkay pole exercising charity runner' then? 'Cos that's a mouthful. Welcome anyway.

Hey Emmy - yes, am WFH today too. Terrific that there is a gang of blokes doing unspeakably noisy stuff to the pavements outside my apartment today. Yes we could meet up after the race on Sunday. I don't find the drinking stuff very easy because it's impossible to have GF beer and then it gets awkward because you have to explain, or drink red wine... bla bla bla. So call me tentative. I've also got a call out to current and ex-colleagues. Will wear my BCRC top but frankly am missing my 'special' IOM cap because I really stand out in that. Not in a good way either!

A week or so ago I'd be thinking about giving this race everything, just to benchmark where I am at in this non-competing year. But as it stands, my hip flexor is so sore, I might have to go tourist instead. Fingers crossed the pain goes away.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Eggy - gout seems to have retreated following treatment from the doc. Going to give it another night and then see if I can do a few miles in the morning.

Just had Jimbob giving further encouragement to sign up from Paris. Think I'm going to get an earful from him next week at GWR!!

• Options

LOL I'd say more...androgenous???

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - didn't wear shorts, just the socks. Got some strange looks from security but at least they could see I had nothing to hideimage

A change of profile pic? Mine shows a short, grey, balding charicature of a man. Hmmm... best leave it as it isimage

Steve - welcome. You'll be surprised that there are quite a few 'mature' (older) runners amongst this throng so don't worry about it. Good to see I'm not the only one that ATM calls a whippersnapper too - It only seems like yesterday she did the same to me.......

Male Pole Dancers? Hmmmm....where can I buy size 8 stripper heels (and do they come with training wheels)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Matty - I really do work from home! Much more productive actually than the office.

TD - It's likely to be sparkling water and coke from most of them. They're doing dry-tober!

Emma - A friend of mine is a pole dancer and really enjoys it. Her core strength is amazing! I've only ever seen one male pole dancer and he did it just for the ladies.

Orbutt - I was going to put up the one of both of us running Berlin but it didnt look right on the small scale.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Emmy +1 for the new photo. It would have been +2 if it was one of Batgirl.