Options

HADD Training Method

Comments

• Options

Thanks for making me realise I shouldn't be so upset with my time peeps image as yes, a 13 min PB is pretty good for this old bloke.

DD, will keep one eye on your time as I watch how Mo does - should be interesting!

BeDe, considering what happened and what you went through just 15 secs off your pace is a fantastic recovery!

No running as yet this week other than a rather humorous jog around the house barefoot! The OH couldn't stop laughing at me going "ooh, arghh" on all the stones.

Want a laugh?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    BeDe wrote (see)

DrD - rooting for youimage Is Brian doing it?

Brian is currently becoming world  rowing machine champion ... not sure if he's doing much running yet. There are a whole bunch of us on the P&D thread doing London though.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Dr Dan best of luck. You'll do great. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)
    No running as yet this week other than a rather humorous jog around the house barefoot! The OH couldn't stop laughing at me going "ooh, arghh" on all the stones.

Want a laugh?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Can you use %maxHR to guage whether you are burning fat vs Carbs?

If so I want to try to see how to link the 2400m ramp test to marathon pacing and nutrition strategy. 

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Andi: that vid is hilarious!! You live in a beautiful area - are you up in Scotland? Be careful with the barefoot running thing. Lots of people try and end up with a whole new array of injuries ...  having said that, there was a barefoot runner at the past 2 races that I did. Both were mostly offroad, but on gravelly sandy tracks and still a fair bit of road was involved as well. Ouch image

BeDe: things seem to be coming together for you. Slowly does it. I'm done with P&D. It served me well in the past but age is taking its toll and while I can do high mileage fine it's the speedier stuff that sets off all sorts of unpleasant things. I'm also looking forward to a summer of slow running with off-road and grassy bits thrown in.

What happened to Brian? Another P&D injury victim, no?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Brian is injured ... don't think he was P&Ding though but was putting in some hard sessions / long run combinations. He's been rowing like a maniac though ... posted a sub-8 2K recently. Not sure if he's doing any running.

• Options

Andiimageimageimageimage ha - at least there is no blood!

Chick - I'm sure you'll enjoy the off road stuff - I am, makes a nice change to tarmac (and potholes)

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)
    Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

Want a laugh?

imageimageNicely done, Andi! Loved the video. I have the softest baby feet on the planet. Could never do it.image Although in elementary school our class had a track meet. I won a race barefoot and everyone ditched their shoes for the other events. But we were wee lads and lasses and were on a brand new track.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Just back from my Fizz (is this the correct UK term Andi?image) and I'm feeling much relieved. After putting me through the paces, she thinks this will only be a minor setback...image Time will tell though. Amazing what she can do. I'd been deep tissue massaging it and foam rolling it to death. She said I'd already done phase I (to get things inflamed so blood would come in for healing)...so today she did something called passive release. Couldn't believe that pushing at the edge of the sore spot with one finger and just moving my foot until I said it didn't hurt (and holding there for a couple minutes) completely removed the tightness. Got ultrasound and stim too. Feeling much better from this and am cleared to try running again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Apologies guys. I'm seriously distracted at the moment. Lots of sh*t going down at work. 

After a quick scan thought I better pop in to say huge congrats to Nayan, Andi and StewartC, and best of luck to DrDan in the VLM (not that you'll need it with those sub-LT numbers!). Not sure what mara Chick is doing but all the best!

I have run (very slowly) every day this week, having spent last week sunning myself in Lanzarote. So things on the up running wise. 

Thanks for the thoughts and name checks, it seems the knee is finally getting better!

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

VT too. Good news on the fizz visit. Everything crossed for you...

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Thanks Brian. Hope you get good news from the physio

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Good luck for Sunday Dr Dan ! image

• Options

hehe, txs peeps, was fun to do image Your almost right Chick, I live on Mull so you saw the Scottish Mainland in the distance.

VT, fizz seems better than pt to me (thought you all had personal trainers lol).

YA, your right about downhill and will persevere however, I think I have VT's 'baby bottom' like soles so this may take some time (I won't be rushing it).

DD, you have put the work in so now  it's time to reap the rewards and will be keeping an eye on your splits!

5 miles today, sort of a check-up after Sunday and apart from my right Glute all felt fine and 5 miles came out at 9:45m/m @73%

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Dr. Dan, good luck buddy! Run your a$$ off!image

Andi, glad to hear you are still in one piece and everything still works. Remember to reverse taper!

BeDe, things are looking good. Nicely done on regaining all that lost fitness. Must feel nice after all you went through.

So debated heavily today. Run...no...yes...no...finally yes! 6m easy and no pain.image Will try 7 or 8 tomorrow and if all is good will do a sub70% long run Sunday.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Cheers guys ... I'm in London. 24 hours to go! image

• Options

Andi - quick run up Ben More tomorrow then?

All VLM runners - good luck tomorrow - all that training will not be in vainimage

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Whats your target for this one Dr Dan?

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Dr D: don't be shitimage

Go and kick some serious ass tomorrow!!

VT: glad your run went well.

I'm getting a little more nervous every day .... 9 days to go. Gulp.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

9 days is just enough time to wind yourself up. Relax chickadeeimage

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nayan B target is sub 3:30 ... C target is PB (sub 3:32:??). A target is ?image

Thanks Chick!  

Andi/VT - good to hear about pain-free running.

Ran a 5K parkrun in just under 30 min today ... been eating and drinking lots but probably spent too long on my feet (due to children). Will be resting up now.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    3:15, Dr. D. image

It was my Boston target before my back went. I've missed too much quality running though and am targeting sub 3:20.

You can be sure that I'm going to run my heart out to do justice to last year's victims. What's a bit of tired legs compared to losing one (ore two) . ..

This is a very very emotional read. Boston bombing survivors with their message to the world. Made me cry:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/dear-world-boston-marathon-photos/
  • Options

(Chick) and as you say, don't be shit image

I hope DD is ok as (@10:45) his chip has not been picked up as even crossing the start line.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I saw that mentioned it on P&D...  Dodgy chip? 

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, I too hope DD has had a good race!

Chick, You may not have lost as much as you think. You've logged HUGE mileage this time around. Remember that you can't gain any new fitness in the last few weeks, but I'll bet you've retained it well.

As for me, had a weird couple of days. After a pain free 6M Friday, did 7M Saturday. My calf played up a couple miles in and then was OK (but still a bit weird). So was thinking I was in trouble and should take today off. But listened to my Fizz and figured I'd try again and shut it down if needed. Not needed. Was able to get in 20 miles. Calf felt fine. It's still a little tight but not a problem this day. We finally got some spring weather this weekend. Was 65 and humid. I had nearly forgotten the effect of heat on HR/effort! I was cruising along and then around mile 16 my HR just climbed and stayed up. Pace at 80% near the end of the run was almost 50s slower than last week! But whatever, was good to get the miles in and now feel good about my chances of making the line. 48M for the week, but no MP runs at all. I think that makes 4 runs of 20M and 2 of 22M in the bank. One more 20-22M run left before the taper. I hope it all holds together. Might have to do more runs in the heat to acclimate a bit...

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

First run since Manchester last night. 10k easy at 73%. Pace a good 10-15 secs slower than usual per km and the legs are still a little heavy a week on. Building up slowly.  Still great to be  out there again. 

• Options

DD - well done - I see the time - but I'll let you post itimage And now we know what you look like!! image My beard used to be brown as well (a bit greyer now)image. Seriously that is a great timeimage Recover well.

VT - good news on the calf - keeping everything crossed for you.

Did another cross country SubLT this weekend - it really is a great way of getting the HR up without having to increase the pace much, so I don't know if that has an effect of potentially less injuries because of the lack of speed? (weighed up against the potential for twisting an ankle). In my experience though my ankles seem to get stronger from this as I'm using lots of different actions on the run rather than a single stress point. From what people have said it's the speed work (especially those that have been doing P&D) that can lead to some injuries. Anyway, I love it - makes a great change to road work - still log all the data - just tend to ignore the pace and try to keep av HR around 81% - 83% (which obviously means going over some of the time if that's the average).