Options

Berlin Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I'm in, just looking for accommodation at the min, good luck to everyone.

• Options

I am in! Congrats to everyone.

Can anyone walk a simpleton throught this online registration process?! As in which buttons to press, I can't seem to be able to navigate...!

• Options
    Jwheezy - google wohnung am zeit- people hire out flats for a few days in :

Berlin and that can be a good option.
  • Options

Im in! Certainly not a cheap marathon but well worth it from what i've heard. 

Any recommendations on planning the weekend/ where to stay etc?

• Options

WTF is a registration code and where can I find it??!!

• Options

I completed my registration through the link on the email.

Dont remember anything about a registration code? Is that the bit where it said about redeeming something or other? 

• Options

I clicked on the link, entered username and password, clicked on registering without creating an account, which took me a to a page where I put in name, club, address, pb time, phone, e-mail, etc., clicked on next and it brings up a page saying "Registration is only possible if you are in possession of a registration code. Enter it in the box below to continue."

It doesn't like it if I leave it blank, and the "password" doesn't work either.  Sent an e-mail WTF I'm supposed to do and had an autoreply saying they'll get back to me within 48 hrs.

???

Don't even start me on booking a flight through eDreams!  (Avoid at all costs.)

• Options

hmm, i think when i got that page it said 'if i have purchased a coupon code, i can redeem it now' it already had some sort of code in it.

• Options

I haven't gone through the whole registration process yet, but there was a code already in the box when I got to that point.

• Options

Complicated as part in German / part in English! I followed the following steps and am hoping I've done it correctly... clicked 'New Participation' chose what I hope is 2014 full marathon '41st Berlin Mararthon 42km Run' filled in all the details already a redemption code in said box  paid with a UK debit card even though it insists you can't (don't have a VISA/MASTERCARD credit card and you can't pay on AMEX... It's showing up on online registration that I'm down to run but I don't have a start number and payment hasn't gone through yet... Hmm...

• Options

Thats exactly where I'm up to.

My latest email says payment will be taken in the next few days. At which stage, i'd imagine I'll recieve an email saying registration successful.

Fingers crossed, My german is awful

• Options

Just completed the registration process and found it simplegoing from the earlier web-link in the congrats email, until I saw a charge of €150' including the special packet I was unable to deselect and proceed adding €46, sent an email disputing and got a response straight back, saying they'd get back to me in 46hrs. Am I the only one this happened too?

but aside from that happy with the process and sorting out accommodation now, flights can wait for a while!

happy journey to Berlin all.

• Options

Anyone got any good tips for competitive half marathon to build up?!

• Options

As TortoiseWins reported, I remember seeing something about a "coupon code" but the box was already filled-in with some sort of code and I pressed 'Next' and completed registration.

Hope you get sorted out, Phil - it's stressful when you know you're up against a time limit and it doesn't run smoothly with the registration process!

• Options

Well I hope I didn't sign up for any extra costs.  My German is pretty poor but I'm so excited!  It's only my second marathon, and my first was in my home town of Edinburgh almost 5 years ago.  I was no spring chicken then (in my 40s) and now I'm in my 50s!  So I expect this will be a very different experience for me.  So far I don't know anyone else who's in (apart from all of you) and it's good to be able to chat.  I've not had a confirmation email or money being taken out of my account either...  

• Options
    I'm signed up - yippee! Didn't experience any problems and got my confirmation email. Next race is a 5k Santa Dash. Slightly less stressful than a marathon!
  • Options

Chuffed that I'm in!! Paid for registration and booked hotel, just the flights to sort but that might have to wait till new year. I've ran 3 marathons so far....The Brighton & Preston Guild marathons in 2012, the Loch Ness this yr & am signed up for Brighton again in April 2014. Got the feeling this one is going to be extra special though!!!

• Options

Phew!  I'm in.  Not sure what was wrong with the original link but they sent me a new one and it worked.  Looking forward to some stinking hot early morning 23 mile runs in July 2014!  image

And did I mention to avoid trying to book flights through eDreams?  Good.  Ta. 

• Options

Are eDreams that bad? lol

I'm still anxiously waiting for them to process my payment...

• Options

I'm in too - very excited!

• Options

I took the train when we went in '08! On the sleeper. Not actually cheaper or more comfortable but fun to do.

• Options
    TortoiseWins wrote (see)

Are eDreams that bad? lol

I'm still anxiously waiting for them to process my payment...

I used them (via skyscanner I think) to book a return flight involving Germanwings (who?) and British Airways. After the usual extra charge for this that and the other (fairly normal) and submitting my card details, I received a confirmation e-mail for my booking, with some blurb about the ticket being sent once the payment had been processed.  At the same time, I had a separate e-mail from Germanwings saying that my payment had not been accepted and I should try again.  I got in touch with eDreams to ask what was going on... I was going to try and phone them but got put off by the premium rate numbers given for customer service (a bit cheeky in itself I think), so e-mailed instead.  Heard nothing until an e-mail came through a while later the same evening saying that since I'd made the booking, the price had increased by about five pounds, and is this OK?!  After a quick panic scan of other flight booking options I sent another e-mail saying yes, please go ahead with the booking but can they explain how the price can go up after they've already confirmed the booking... 

...nothing more heard until the next morning, when I had another e-mail through to say that the price had changed again except this time it had gone DOWN!  Same question, is this OK, please confirm... I sent an e-mail reply simply saying "YES, PLEASE GO AHEAD WITH BOOKING AT £144."  ...about two hours later, another e-mail, informing me that since I made the booking the price had changed again, wait for it, to a new record high price of £161!

By this time I'd already spent far too much time Googling eDreams and reading endless horror stories from people who had got involved in payment mistake / cancellation disputes, etc. that went on for months, and that they couldn't believe the company was still operating.  Feck!  So (after checking that nothing had been taken out of my bank account thus far) I sent one final, very carefully worded e-mail, with all sorts of references to legal advice, financial ombudsmen and god knows what, demanding that they completely cancel the booking, ensure that I wasn't charged a penny, and to confirm immediately by e-mail that the cancellation had been actioned and that I wouldn't be charged.  I did indeed receive an e-mail within a few minutes to say that the booking had been cancelled and I wouldn't be charged.

As of today, eDreams does actually show up on my bank statement, rather curiously including a transaction for £12, and a refund for £12, processed on the same day.  £12... WTF??  Needless to say, I'm keeping a close eye on things.  Dodgy fucks.

• Options
    PhilPub - "Dodgy fucks". Lol!
  • Options

D'you think they'd let me call them that on Watchdog?  image

• Options

fodgy ducks perhaps

Had a similar bit of fun once when I tried to be too clever - had heard it was cheaper to buy RyanAir vouchers & pay with them rather than pay direct - went through 3/4 of the process only to find there was only a quid in it, then cancelled and bought the flights normally ... carefully checking the "basket" in the sidebar. Was then charged for the vouchers (which I had not ordered - so, bad) and not sent the vouchers (well, I hadn't asked for them, so no problem there) but not charged for or given the actual flights.

Luckily I take the "if in doubt use a credit card and suck up the extra few quid charges" so I just rang the cc company and said,  you sort this out, how can it not qualify for chargeback?! Rather than having to brave Ryanair customer support....

I would still fly with them but I don't try to get clever any more....have learned my lesson now!

• Options
    Entry confirmed! Really looking forward to Berlin 2014.

There's a company called 'Running crazy' that are doing package deals including guaranteed entry. A few mates of mine have gone with them after being unsuccessful in the ballot. Might be worth a look.
  • Options

I've been to Malta (4x) and Riga (once) with RC and my experience has been (obviously!) good - very sociable, very much "by runners for runners" or "what it says on the tin".

Basically the usual deal is that you sort out your own flights (they specialize in destinations with cheap flights) and the package covers everything else bar non-hotel meals. Transfer to/from hotel, hotel, race entry, souvenir pics. So you just have to get to the airport and catch the right flight. Your number etc is got for you, you get tips on where to eat/sightsee, you're shepherded to the start and photographed looking athletic (hoho) at the finish, and then there's a group meal organized for after with a highlights video and a few fun awards.

• Options

I am going with Run Crazy to Berlinimage! Done NY with one of the larger companies but wanted a change. World marathon number 4 here we comeimage