Options

Berlin Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi all

Blockbuster..

Barcelona marathon is absolutely top notch. Good size, no overcrowding, well organised and cracking city to run through.

But you are at the mercy of the weather. Last couple of years apparently it was cool - someone told me it even snowed on marathon day two years ago.

I did it this year but suffered terribly in the heat. Over 25 degrees all morning - not a cloud in the sky. Never walked in a marathon before but by mile 18 I was a spent force and then had to walk, slow jog, on and off for the last 8 miles.

Im doing Paris next year but pondering Barcelona as well if I can afford it.. because of unfinished business!

Is anyone meeting up after Berlin run on Sunday afternoon/evening for a few jars... ? and where are the best spectator vantage points? I can't work out where to tell Mrs Dodger to watch from.

Last 13 miler tomorrow before Germany. Glad the training is almost over.

• Options

18 miles done on Saterday. Felt like I couldn't go much further but I'll put that down to lack of fluids and the fact it was my longest week ever running (42 miles monday to sat). Hopefully, with fresh legs, lack of hills and being in Berlin(!) the last 8 miles will be possible. I certainly think with rested legs there will be anotherfew miles in it. The rest will be through gritted teeth!

Off to research tapering now....starting to get nervous!

• Options

Thanks RD2, so could be running Barcelona in either snow or blistering heat...well I think that's a good test of your ability to adapt a training plan to suit race conditions! when its 25 PB is out the window its survival, same with near zero conditions!

• Options
    Well done CP31. It's good to know the long ones are out of the way! There'll be lots of gritted teeth on display, along with pained expressions, a few tears etc. Cant wait!

Anybody else been looking at the current temperatures in Berlin and panicking slightly? What's the chances it'll drop 15 degrees in the space of 12 days I wonder .....
  • Options

Weather?!  Blimey, leave it out!  image  Since you mention it, the BBC's finger-in-air guestimate is that the temperature is dropping down to 16 degrees by Wednesday week.  Having said that I'm not looking again till Thursday week.  Honest!

• Options

evening all just saw this thread and was wondering if anyone is aware of any pasta party or similar prior to the race? Can't see any mention on the web! 

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Try not to go too mad people!  Have you all downloaded the App?  I think it's quite good - not that i'll be checking it mid race!

• Options

Hope I can join your thread. i have a place in the Berlin Marathon. My son Toro is running too. I am going to be on my own most of Friday, Sunday evening / Monday. Are there any get togethers planned pre or post race that I could tag along to? 

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Official Pace Groups for Berlin marathon...

Grp 1 - WR

Grp 2 - 2:06

Grp 3 - 2:09:45

Grp 4 - 2:14:00

Grp 537 - 2:44:59(a), 2:49:59(b), 2:54:59(c)
  • Options

I was hoping for a get together myself after the race Littlemissactive but there doesnt seem too much interest on here at the moment. Looking back on previous years forums the Brauhaus Georgbrea seems a possible popular venue right by the river Spree. It is near Alexanderplatz. I will probably head there with the other half if I'm still able to hobble.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    I'm flying back on Sun PM so will be looking for a bratty and beer for lunch.
  • Options

post race meet up would be good I'm also flying back Sunday. Quick point on expo, its really good, can be very busy, they have a big pasta stall no official pasta party, also bratwurst, pretzels, all the usual german stuff. alcohol free beer is good too but for some reason I still feel like I'm getting tipsy on it...

• Options

Thanks roger dodger 2. Will hope to pop by at some stage, although I'm likely to be much slower than you guys! image

• Options

Toro I knew it so best avoid the old alcoholfrei especially the free pint at the end of the race! my flight leaves 6-30pm I think i'll head to the bar nearest the finish for a pint before hobbling to the airport

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

But you will know you're not drinking alcohol so surely that will mean that you can fight off its effects?  

I got a case today from the nice people at Erdinger in return for a race report from Berlin.  That said I did plan my trains and flights to maximise post race fun! 

• Options

Laminated up the paceband,so its 2:40 or bust for me.

Just passed the 2,000 miles mark year to date, nice confidence booster there if ever I needed it !

Bit concern about the cup / drink situation tbh, I just cannot drink from cups.

• Options

I was worried about the cup situation but after speaking to a past entrant I am not so worried. He filled a lucozade sports bottle pre-race as he had done on his long runs and then just past half way he stopped briefly to refill it from the cups. In the grand scheme of things he thought it only accounted for a few seconds as he got his target time and a PB.  I think I will do something similar.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Spirun apparently the technique is to form a V by pinch... oh who am I kidding?! Yes it's tough but quite glad I didn't take much water on training runs (1 x 175ml bottle) but...

I haven't tried the gels are they okay (watery or dense - or v. sweet) does anyone know?  I will be taking 3 x SIS as they are so easy to take and don't need water but I will take 1 at start, 10k and 20k leaving the rest all to play for.  My personal lesson from Washington last year was take gels! I couldn't face a big Zipvit Bakewell Tart gel with 50g carbs at 15 mile (Sticky, dry tasting and the taste is horrendously sickly) and I proper turbo bonked at 19 miles. 

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Also my Mum has pointed out that only the additional stations are cups. My brother ran last year and said there were bottles. The pdf states http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/m/en/race-week/runners-info.html don't throw cups and bottles so it is a bit ambiguous. Anyone got any gen on this?
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Spirun apparently the technique is to form a V by pinch... oh who am I kidding?! Yes it's tough but quite glad I didn't take much water on training runs (1 x 175ml bottle) but...

I haven't tried the gels are they okay (watery or dense - or v. sweet) does anyone know?  I will be taking 3 x SIS as they are so easy to take and don't need water but I will take 1 at start, 10k and 20k leaving the rest all to play for.  My personal lesson from Washington last year was take gels! I couldn't face a big Zipvit Bakewell Tart gel with 50g carbs at 15 mile (Sticky, dry tasting and the taste is horrendously sickly) and I proper turbo bonked at 19 miles. 

• Options

2 years ago was last time I ran berlin I cant remember bottles I'm pretty sure the energy drinks were cups but maybe they changed that last year. The gels are also I think past the half way mark, they're not at every station, if gels are part of your strategy for race day best to have trained with them and take some with you. I prefer the bananas and these plus other fruit, sugar cubes etc are at most of the drinks stations.

• Options

I'm gonna try and get hold of a Power Bar drink to try out on my final (very short) MP run later this week. Other than that I'll most probably carry an emergency SIS Go Gel under my Garmin strap but try to get by on the course water/sports drinks.  I've never found energy to be much of an issue in a marathon and I've tried various strategies including jelly babies, gels, and drinks only.  The only issue I've experienced is a slight stitch at London last year after taking Lucozade Sport near the end of the race, but I'm intending to fuel up relatively early when things are comfortable, and hope to get round in the latter stages on water, with the gel as back up.

I can't believe no one's talked about the weather since last week!  It's looking rather hospitable, I think. image

• Options
    PhilPub - weather is looking much better! At least it has been on the last 700 occasions I've checked it! I'm not stressing though ....
  • Options

Good luck to all running Berlin on Sunday, especially those chasing a PB, GFA etc. 

I'll just be happy to get round! image

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

I watched last year's race i'd recorded and it's definitely cups at every stop.  Weather... don't jinx it!  

• Options

I'm typing on a solid wood desk here, so I hope that should allow me to mention the WEATHER.

Looking about as perfect as one could wish for.

Chance of rain 0%

Wind:SSW at 6 mph

Temp somewhere around 10degrees at 9am - 17degrees my midday.

• Options

I have the pace band printed and laminated in both miles and 5km distances. Currently sat in work counting down the hours until I am off for a full week. Researching the start, course, finish and Googling things to do in Berlin and then pasting them into a word document!

Hopefully there is a slight cloud cover as the fair skinned fella from Northern Ireland melted during this years London marathon!!

• Options

I have actually driven myself around most of the course, using google maps.

Looks good and so much wider than London !

• Options

Google Maps & Earth - what did people do before them?!