Options

Newbie Runner

Comments

• Options

Did 4km last night at what felt like a quicker pace although unsure of exactly what it was. 

My garmin shows 3.80km in 31.23 (avg Pace - 8.16 per km) whilst the MyAsics app showed 4.0 km in 31.30 (stopped it just after Garmin) which gives me an average pace of 7.51 per km. 

I have noticed this for a whilst and the garmin has consistently been recording less distance than the apps on both mine and my sisters phones when we run. Have just checked the route online and it seems to match up with the app.  

I also felt like I was going at a much quicker pace than what i had run at on Monday.  Will be interesting to see how the timings match up with the chip timings on the 10k next Sunday. 

Plan is to do 5k tomorrow and then 10k again on Saturday.  The 10 on Saturday will however be on flat roads this time - 2 mile circulars so 3 laps.  

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I've done marathons with my Garmin x 4 and all come out at between 42.4 and 42.6 same marathon when i've done them on iPhone between 42.8 and 44.2km image I have the sample rate set to record every second, on the Garmin, I do this as from what I understand the sampling rate on most smart phones is every few seconds.  So of course if you have say 6 or 10 blobs in a minute and you are joining the dots together compared to having 60 blobs and having to join the dots together it makes a difference. But some of the apps of course are intelligent and try to map your run to a path if it thinks you are going along one.

• Options

Thanks BT, I will have a play with the watch and try to set it to record every second.  Sorry to be a pain but do you have any idea how you set this - is it on the watch itself? 

Its not so much the overall distance that concerns me its more the pace it is showing.  It was quite demoralising last night when i felt i was running faster than normal but it was showing me at a slower pace.  

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

It might do it by default if it's a garmin they are usually somewhere under the settings.

Err not got my Garmin with me image

• Options

Cant seem to figure Garmin out so have written to the support - hopefully they will be able to help me. 

5k run last night, felt rubbish towards the end.  first 2-3 km were quicker than normal but nice, last 2 were horrible.  After the run I was so negative, wondering how the hell i am going to complete 10k in just over 1 week. 

Feeling slightly more positive today but really cant get over how much my ability has declined with not doing much for the two weeks I was on holiday.  Really hoping i get back to where i was soonish as I can feel my enthusiasm wavering. 

Rest day today and then going to do a dress rehearsal for the race on Saturday.  Breakfast of porridge, run at 12.30 for 10k on flat roads.  Hoping to complete it all without stopping even if i have to go real slow at points.  Going to wear the clothes I will run in on Sunday aswell to ensure everything is fine!

Fingers crossed all goes well - will update over the weekend or Monday.  

If im feeling ok after the 10k on Saturday, I am planning to have a quick hour in the gym on Sunday morning and going to do some interval training at a quicker pace.  

• Options

10k ran on Saturdayimageimageimage

although very slow at 1.23 imageimageimage

Had aimed to do it at a nice slow and steady pace just to ensure I got round the whole thing, so pleased I managed it.  However not sure how feasible my target time of 1.10-1.15 is?!

Don't know quite what to do regarding pacing - do I pace myself around the 1.20 mark and then just allow the adrenaline of the event to take me a bit quicker or do I pace myself at the 1.15 mark from the start and hope I can stay constant at the at pace throughout the race?  My instinct is to say pace around the 1.20 mark which is 8min km's and then let the adrenaline and the buzz take me a bit quicker but what do you guys think??  

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Maybe try running a hard 5k at some point either a park run if you can get to one, or just time yourself for a hard ran 5k, that will give you some idea of what speed you can do then it's a case of stretching out the endurance to keep the speed up for longer.

My 5 to 10k split lately is double + 3 minutes. Yours might be more double + 5 or so minutes, so see what sort of speed you can do for a all out 5K and then it will help to give you a clue what you can expect from 10k.

• Options

Watto, well done for completing 10k image

FWIW my first (recorded) 10k was way back in September 2012 and was 1:12:10, last fast(ish) run was March this year and 56:56. I never trained for 10k other than being able to run that far non stop and am sure if you put your mind to it you'll be pushing at that (magical) sub 60 time in the not too distant future image

Interestingly (or not) my best 10k time is twice my 5k time plus 16 seconds!!! Guess this means I can/should run 5k much faster image

• Options

Good work Watto! I reckon you'll be a lot faster than you expect, the adrenaline does some crazy things to you image Just make sure you know a doable pace and then stick to it rather than overdoing it and not enjoying the second half. Oh, my 5k/10k is double plus 4.5 mins (though I've never run a race for either and the 10k PB was the first 10k of the marathon!

I am ashamed to admit I've been on 1 run since the marathon image as I'm working on my Masters dissertation which is due at the end of the month, so that plus job applications are taking over my life, but my next race isn't til November so it's not the end of the world I guess. I've been going on the exercise bike 3 times a week so hopefully won't be too unfit when I get out again in June! 

• Options
    Hi all, just a quick update from the race yesterday as I am away up north with very patchy 3G!

In summary race was a disaster. Finish time if 1.28 which is 8 mins slower than training runs and about 15 mins slower than my target.

The heat was unbearable, I had stitch from km 1, had to walk between 5-8, ft like I could fainted at any given moment and had what I think was a small panic attack when I crossed the finish line.

Disappointed to say the least....wouldn't of cared so much about the time if I could of just kept running but physically couldn't do it.

Will update later in week when home with splits etc.

Going to do a gentle run Wednesday and then am lookin for another 10k race in the next month or so...feel like I need to get back on the horse ASAP. Hopefully not one where the weather is colder!!
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

WattoRunner 

you finished image that's all thst matters you've got the first one in the bag. Also you know thst in incredibly not conditions you can still get around, don't beat yourself up, now it's just a case of tweaking things and getting better image 

• Options

Thanks BT, yeah glad i finished but still cant shake the feeling of disappointment. 

Have found the Worcester 10k, 1st of june and looks to be relatively flat and along the fiver which should be nice.  Hopefully going to be able to do this in anything under 1.20, dont even care about beating my training time, jsut want to get round without stopping. 

It is a 9am start so hopefully will be a bit easier with the heat (should it be hot again) and should also eleviate the concern of having to eat pre run. 

Plan for this week is 

Wed - 5k

Sat - 7k 

Mon - 10k

Next week

Wed - 7k

Fri - 5k (may push to 7 if feeling up to it)

Sun - 10k Worcester

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Make the Friday a very slow 5k so save your energy for the race on the Sunday. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

If you want to do a quick one make it slow 1st and last km, with a bit if a fun 3km blast in the middle if you think that will make you feel better image It's all about getting ready, and you are physically ready, that's for sure so it's getting in the right mental zone for you image So whatever works for you, and that's something you start to learn over your first few races image

• Options

Thanks BT, am going to do that on the friday before the race.  We ran last night and it really bought it home to me that i need to work on my speed.  I think i am actually getting slower. 

Did 5k, got stitch again after 1km but managed to shake it off by 3k.  Felt like I was going very slow which was making my back ache, saved my energy for the last 500m which i speed up for, however i felt great at this point and didnt feel like i needed to stop so carried on for another 500m ish - sprinting as fast as i could!

Made me realise that I am so scared of going too quick and not having enough energy left at the end, that I just dont up my pace till the very last min. 

Saturdays run is going to be 7k and go as follows - 

0-1.5k - slow / warm up

1.5-3k - faster

3k-4k - Hill - slow down again

4k-6k - flat - speed up

6k-7k - Hill - sprint as much as possible

then about 1-2k walk as a cool down. 

Hopeing that the faster bits will make improve my speed and hoping the last km ish of a hill which i want to sprint should also do good for both my speed and hill ability. 

May try to squeeze in a treadmill session tonight and do some quick interval training also.  

• Options

Well done Watto for finishing your first 10k! The heat has been awful some days, so like BT says don't beat yourself up! You could have pulled out, I'm sure others did but you crossed the line image. it's likely been a while since you ran in proper heat anyway, I know that as I only started running in August mainly in the evenings I have never run in heat so far! The 18'c long run I did a few weeks before the marathon nearly killed me and I quit halfway so can't imagine running in 20'c+! sounds like you have a good plan so good luck! 10 more days of this bloody dissertation and I'll be back out running, yippee! 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Watto: As you say one of the biggest hurdles with speed is fear of what happens when I run out of energy.  Well believe me you just keep going, only slower image

At about mile 30 in my first 50 I thought I was dead, I was in tears, I must have looked a right wombat image but you learn that all that happens is you get tired, but you can still keep putting your feet one in front of each other, and you keep chewing up the distance, If you go really quick to early then yes you pay and take longer overall to finish your race be it 1K, 5k, 10k the distance doesn't really matter, all that happens if you get it wrong and go to quick is you probably end up crossing the line at the end a bit slower, and a bit grumpier then planned, training is an idea place to play with speed, when i started trying to do speed work i was trying to run had from one lamppost to another, then every other lamppost, then trying to stitch 3 together in a row etc...

Don't let fear of failure ever stop you, all that happens if it goes wrong is that you didn't cross the line in x time, or shock horror a DNF, which actually means nothing, i'm sure you could actually make a DNF into a positive saying well nope i didn't finish but only because i gave it everything and there was just nothing left in the tank. I almost felt like that on my last marathon, did all I could, and thought I might as well quit now.  But, then you think how am i going to get back to the start... guess i've got to walk it anyway so might as well try to add a bit of speed in places image

• Options
    Thanks both for your advice and good luck Nicola with the dissertation.

Took your advice on board bt with my run on Saturday...speed up and felt great, last km hard as I had gotten tired but managed to carry on at the same pace. Not got splits to hand but average km time across the whole run was about 7.50 so pleased with that.

10k planned for tomorrow hoping to strike a balance somewhere between speed and distance, aiming for a pace of around 8.00 Kim's so a 1.20ish 10k, I know it's still not mega quick but after last weeks balls up I will just be happy to finish without stopping! Fingers crossed xx
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Good luck Watto!! 

• Options
    Thanks BT, fab 10k done this morning with no stopping and a sprint at the end for the last 500 m or so.

Was a harder route than last week as it incorporated 3 hills...each worse than the last one, third hil took me to 9 km and it took another 500m to just catch my breath properly.

Time was 1.20 and some seconds so pretty accurate at the 8min km pace...and most importantly to me NO STOPPING!!!

Really hoping I can replicate this in the race next week in worcester.

Hope all have had a great bank holiday and enjoyed your runs xx
  • Options

Good work Watto! Sounds like that is a good confidence boost, I think once you know you've done it once you can be more confident next time.

I'm handing my dissertation in on Monday image and then I'll have a life again! considering I've only run once in the last 8 weeks image Any tips on how I should get back into it? I've done a few 30 minute sessions on the bike to keep my fitness up but I imagine I'll need to start off slowly. Maybe a few 5ks this week and gradually build one of them up to a longer run?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Well done Watto.

Nicola: walk run a 3km to begin with then do a walk run 5k then see about jogging a 5k image slow and steady to begin with.

• Options

Thanks BT, don't want to get myself injured. I've got loads of time til my half in November so no rush!

• Options

Good luck nicola with the dissertation....this time in 2 days you will be done!!

Cr4ppy run today...not been able to get out all week with work and didnt make it to the race either, so not in a great mood to start with.  Aimed to do 10k local, not sure what went wrong but stopped after 2 with killer stitch again, walked for a bit and then did 7k in total of interval running, running a KM or so and then a walk for 100m ish, average time (which included teh first walking section of 10mins at a slow paice) was 8.15 which was happy with as that was a lot of walking time and running time was on average 7.45is .... down to 7.30 for 2kms, need to work on being able to keep this speed up for longer and really need to work on my mindset.  Seem to start off very negative...dont know why and dont know how to get out of it. 

Really struggling to keep myself motivated, seem to be very up and down at the moment and work isnt helping with not allowing me to consistently run.  

sorry for the negative postimage

• Options

Good luck with the dissertation Nicola image

Watto, we all get 'bad' phases and I'm going through one at the moment but believe me, they don't last forever and usually end with one of those WTF moments when everything falls into place again and with improved pace image

As for the stitch issue, I seem to be plagued with them as well and tried just about every remedy in the book(s). The latest thing I read said that most (if not all stitches) are caused by a weak core so shall try to improve mine over the next month or 2, I need to anyway if I want to keep a decent form over Marathon distance.

• Options

Thanks Andi, I appreciate your response, its nice to know i am not the only one that has quite an emotional time with running!

Ran Friday night and didn't overly enjoy it - it was hot, i was tired from a long week at work and i just couldn't really be bothered.  I ran with my sister, her boyfriend and his daughter - all quicker than me and just felt a bit like a spare part. did about 4k and then walked for the last 2km.  

Decided to run Saturday morning on my own - when running with other people i seem to worry about holding them up and not going at the same pace etc....really wanted to get back to running for me and proving to myself that i can do it.  Didn't really set a route as such but had a rough on in mind but not sure i would be able to complete due to the poor runs recently.  

Started out at 7am as i was up early with the bf going to work - after 1km it was the torrential rain and i was soaked, but really enjoying myself, legs felt loose (thought afterwards that this was probably thanks to the run on Friday), kept going till 10k, stopped and walked for a little bit and then ran for another km or so - total distance was 12.25km which is my furthest distance to date. 

Loved loved loved it - it was throwing it down for almost all of my run, i was absolutely drenched and got repeatedly splashed by cars driving past...but still, i loved it!! Loved the realisation that i am not failing if i stop and walk for a bit (as I did between 10&11 km) and that i can carry on. 

I almost feel a bit enlightended at the through of the GNR in September - thinking that actually its not the end of the world if i stop and walk for a couple of KM's halway round to preserve a bit of energy to allow me to complete it and actaully enjoy it. 

Quick run this morning before work - only 4km.  Going to do some interval training on the treadmill in the morning and then another road run on thursday morning.  Quick run on Saturday morning - maybe about 7k and then aiming for 12k again on Sunday. 

Hope all are well and fingers crossed I have turned a corner now and will start to enjoy this running lark again!!

• Options

Great news Watto, sounds like you have reached one of those 'moments'  and your right, there is nothing as refreshing as running in rain image Personally I don't like leaving home in the rain but love it to rain whilst I'm out (LSR's might be something different as I get cold). 

And your correct, running is for you, not anybody else but am sure your running partners don't mind running with somebody a bit slower - they can always make those runs their easy/recovery runs.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

WattoRunner. 

it's hard work isn't it, there are times when life makes it really hard, I end up feeling rally guilt when I cannot run for a week or so, finding the time is the hardest thing to do. I was very strict about going out to run x days, but i don't really have any commitments apart from work and OH.

Fingers crossed that you've turned the corner.image if not are you around the midlands image if so meet up for a run one day image 

• Options

busy week and happy to report have managed 2 short runs tuesday and thursday mornings - both interval sessions and only about 3 or 4km each.  This morning i went out and did 7km, nice route, beautiful morning and a time of 56min which is not lightning pace by any means but i am happy with it. 

Think I am going to have tomorrow off, and then try for another 12ish km on saturday and then a shorter run on sunday morning.  

Really liking running in a morning as opposed to after work when i am either too tired or my working day runs on too late. 

THanks for the replies Andi & booktrunk, glad i seem to be enjoying it again although wary of counting my chickens too soon!! Would like to get another few long runs under my belt and continue to enjoy them before i can class myself as 'cured'!!!

THanks bt - sounds like a good idea once i am a bit quicker!!! think a joint run would be a walk for you at the moment and a hard slog for me!!!!xx