Options

Sub 4:30 anyone?

Comments

• Options

Just as well your not in the VLM as well then Steph though am sure you'd manage to PB in Paris then just enjoy VLM image

• Options

London was a sore point. Charity I have raised money for in the past said yes you can have one of our spots if you don't get in the ballot. Then said oh.... You have to apply as we have more then expected wanting to do it... Then when I asked them twice couldn't be arsed to even send me the darn application ....

Looking back on it now i'm glad as I don't have the stress of getting the money but at the time I was a little frustrated.

• Options

So everyone gearing up to begin a spring plan soon? 

I'm thinking aim low, and I should even if it goes wrong hopefully crack 4:30 image but I think I change my mind about how I'm doing my next plan 10 times each week image

Done three. 5:30 to 4:56 to 4:36 I'm having loads of fun telling myself hard run low miles or slowly ran high Milage, i know there is not really a definitive answer, different things suit different people.

How are the rest of you doing?

• Options

According to my shorter distance race times, I should be on track for just under 4h45 as it stands - but I'm hoping that with all the cross training I'm doing (daily cycle commute) along with my training plan, I can shave a little bit off.

Then again, this will be my first marathon, so anything's a PB! image

• Options

So as long as you get to the finish line hurrah image *bloody santa* mind you i suppose it is Xmas for me today!! Got my 620 image

• Options
    My campaign started last month. Have added a bunch of 6mile runs to my week and swapped my 4mile all out effort for 6x1000m intervals. They're hard but getting easier.

Sunday I ran Stevenage half marathon in 1:49:13. Probably went out too quick or wimped out around halfway on the long incline.
  • Options

1:49 is awesome that's sub 4h about 1:53 / 1:54 according to McMillan for a sub 4h mara. 

• Options
    McMillan is a lying git!
  • Options
    I've got another half planned end of November.

Then it's ramp up the long runs. I'm going to try the 3:1 stratedgy. So for 18miles it will be 13.5 slow then 4.5 at marathon pace. Will be brutal no doubt.
  • Options

I'm around 2.1 to 2.12 from half to full marathons. But I'm slower.

So if you times your half by 2.2 which is reasonable that still gives a 4:02 marathon. 

• Options

just checking in to say hi and that I haven't disappeared - just been on my dillies image and now the mara training commences........

• Options

envierose, there is a long way to go till Spring so am sure you'll improve and yup, all you need to do is finish and it's a PB image

Good luck with the long runs Tim, will be interested to see how you get on with them image

Happy (early) Christmas Booktrunk and enjoy your wristbound coachimage

WB Keggy, I've had a few days off as well, just 11 miles all month thus far! My 21 week plan is due to kick in on Monday so best buck my ideas up.

• Options

I've just been bimbling along. Had a massive running week end of October, then week just gone was a lower volume one. Racing the Abbey Dash 10k this Sunday and want to get sub-55 for the first time. After that I'll have a bit of a rest and a steady few weeks with the odd cross country race thrown in for good measure.

• Options
    Hi all, just found this thread hope you don't mind me joining in! I'm looking at doing Manchester marathon in early April and aiming for somewhere between 4:15 - 4:30. But need some motivation to make sure I train properly.
  • Options

sra, good luck on Sunday, what's your current PB for 10k?

Boro, welcome aboard, have you run other Marathons? Whats your plan for Manchester?

Training for Lochaber started today and am glad to report I got my worst ever run out of the way (6 miles @13:13) so things can only get better - right?

• Options

Right image

You've seen me moan loads of times then within a week come back with a great run . Unless your ill. 

• Options

Steph? moan? never!  

And yup, hope I'm not coming down with anything image

• Options
    Andi, this will be my third marathon (hopefully!). I ran Manchester and Chester both in 2012 and then decided to give marathons and regular running in general a miss in 2013, but have got the urge to do another. So here I am.

Not sure of my plan yet, tend to slowly build up the mileage with ever increasing long runs at the weekend and some shorter runs during the week if time allows. I'm up to 8.5 miles at the moment with 20 weeks to go (I think) so I need a plan soon.
  • Options

Thanks Andi. 10k PB currently 55:57. Friend from running club and two of his mates also going to be getting round in just under 55 so will have people to keep me going.

• Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm also running the London Marathon next April.  This is my first marathon and I seem to have accumulated lots of lovely injuries (sprained ankle, sore pelvis etc etc).  Never mind, I am seeing a physio in a few weeks so will just carry on, as all injuries are only mild.  I'm following the Hal Higon Novice 2 programme, which is a really straight forward programme.   I've been using this forum since I got into the marathon and the advice has been invaluable.  I can now see that I have been running too fast.  My comfortable pace is 9 minute 20 and I can run my 5k at about 8 and 1/2 minute miles.  The rule of thumb seems to be, go slow, bank the mileage and don't worry about pace, until nearer the time.    A guy on my post said he ran his long distance runs at 10 to 11 minute miles but the actual marathon was 7.5 minute miles.  This I thought really stood out as a great example of how to train for a marathon. I'm also reading "MARATHON, The Ultimate Training Guide" by Hal Higdon.   It's a fantastic book so I thoroughly recommend it.  He really homes in on running slow and building up mileage, week by week.  He explains the entire science behind a marathon training programme (with some historic bits and pieces about famous athletes).  When you read it, you feel realy proud that you could cross that finish line and it realy does help with your running schedule.   I think I've become a bit of a marathon bore.  I'm a walking marathon encyclopedia.  In fact, I think I enjoy telling people I'm running the London Marathon, more than the actual doing it!  People reactions are one of amazement, which I just love!   My new predicted finish time is now "just before it gets dark"...as someone suggested on my post.  However, if I finish at 4:30 I will be happy with that....but who knows!   I also need to go back to the running club that I went to once, however I think I may do this in December.  I have two kids, so I am trying to manage my time, when I am not away from the family too much.   I will be running home from work tomorrow as it's 8 miles.  This weekend I am running 11 miles, which I am looking forward to.  I am to do this on Sunday and try not to drink any wine the night before...so that's two challenges for this weekend.   I'm glad there are others that are around the same finish time as me.   Is anyone else following the Hal Higdon training programme?

• Options
    I'm kind of following something based on his Advanced 2.

Good luck and welcome.
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Oh wow, you must be a fantastic runner.  You finish time surely is sub 3?

• Options
    Lol. It doesn't quite work like that. From his notes:

"I might add that you can be male or female, a 2:30 marathoner or a 4:30 marathoner and still train as an Advanced runner. What decides whether or not you are an Advanced runner is your background and your familiarity with this type of training plus your attitude..."

While I am aiming for 3:45 and my other race times suggest this is possible, I haven't managed a sub 4:30 yet!
  • Options

Hi Pipski image as Tim says, you don't have to be a 2:30 runner to do the advanced plans however, you do have to be more careful so you don't injure yourself or burn outimage

I'm sort of following a Hal Higdon Advanced plan but not currently doing any form of speed work as I've merged the plan with my HADDing plan so basically following days and miles.

• Options

Hi all please can I join your thread. I did London in 2012 in 4:25 and found the forum very helpful. in London for 2014 but training not easy with two young daughters and a London commute. Mental bit is harder!

• Options

Hi DJC. 

the mental side of the running is key. I think it's as important as the training. With the right attitude you can get over the line even if things don't go according to plan. 

• Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Hi DJC77, I also have two kids (one 6 year old and one baby who is 1 and a half).  I work full time and commute into London everyday too.   I've never ran a marathon but am also running the London 2014.   My very first post on here was about feeling guilty having time away from the kids and how I could motivate myself and others around me, it was a good idea!  Read up on it if you wish as there was some good and some not so good feedback. The forum here helped me immensely and now I know it's all about time management. One thing us working mums are good at, is time management.   Can you run in your lunch hour or even run home from work?  I'm attempting my 8 mile run home tonight, which I'm slightly nervous about but once I achieve it once, I know it will be like a walk in the park.  I've convinced hubby to collect the kids from nursery and after school club for me.  It's all a juggling act!    I've convinced myself that if I didn't do it this year, then the kids will be older but I will be older too...!  I'm 42 now, so now it's my time.  At least you know what is ahead of you regarding training....it's all a learning curve for me....I think I may be coming to you for some advice...good luck with the training...your little girls will be so proud....how old are they by the way?

• Options

Welcome DJC image with a 4:25 under your belt already as Pipski says we may soon be coming to you for adviceimage

As a guy I'm not very organised so at times it might be harder for me to 'find time' to run than you busy ladies that always seem to be juggling 3 things at onceimage

Day 3 of my training plan and I've already done 3 different runs so that's gone in the bin and shall now just HADD my way through the Winter building up my base of slow (read very slow) miles image

• Options
    Hi Pipski and DJC and welcome, good luck with your training. I found trying to juggle family, work and training a bit of a challenge and defiantly didn't put as many miles in as I wanted too when training for my 1st marathon in 2012. I'm hoping things might be a bit easier this time around as the kids are older - although work is harder!
  • Options

10k in 59:25 tonight. Sheesh would only be a 4:10 Marathon.