Options

Sub 4:30 anyone?

Comments

• Options

Thanks Pipski. Daughters are 4 and 1. agree on your time management point. It is a real self discipline test. I found last time running to about end of jean was fun then it got serious with hill runs intervals and so on which made it harder but by then the marathon is close enough to keep you motivated. I found giving up booze helped a lot to getting up early on the sat or sund mornings fen onwards to get the long runs in. I think that was also probably as responsible for the weight loss as the running. Should be a buzz around 2014 with Mo Farah doing it.

• Options

welcome Pipski & DJC image

Someone please tell me that I haven't caught full-on manflu from my hubby just when training is meant to start.  I feel a divorce coming on...

• Options

image I had that two and a half weeks i spent struggling image with the odd aborted run and a few short runs. I to shouted a lot at OH.

• Options
    I managed a 10mile run with 20minutes at half marathon tempo last night. I was struggling a bit with my head torch, the batteries were running low. I run in the lanes and need to see the potholes or it's quite an uncomfortable run.

That's the first tempo run I've managed in about 4 weeks due to races and life in general getting in the way. I've got 6x1000m intervals planned for Friday night and my long run on Sunday is planned for 13miles. I'm looking forward to my rest day next Tuesday already image
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Oh my god DJC77 I think of cutting down on the wine every day.  I admittedly drink every night (just two glasses) and of course a little bit more on the weekend.  I do plan on really cutting it out in the week and not drinking before a long run.   I was on a diet a few months ago and lost 9lbs.   This was by not drinking in the week and eating very small portions.  Admittedly, I am now a size 8 but I did get down to a size 6.  I've put some of the weight back on (you can see I'm quite obsessed with my weight!), but I'm finding it hard to be on a diet again, as I don't want to get used to be so hungry all the time.  I have decided though that I probably do not need carbs with every single meal!    Yesterday I weight trained in my lunch hour and then run 8 miles home from work.  I was home by 6:30pm, doing my son's homework at 7:30pm and then cooking my dinner at 8pm.   This was all after washing my hair!  I'm pleased I'm not the only one with small children training for the marathon!  Yes it is all about time management but I look at it like this....it's not forever, it's just for a short while and when we turn up at the starting line in April, we will be chuffed to bits!

Tim, I'd be worried I would twist my ankle doing what you're doing.  I think my husband might think I'm digging for coal if I borrowed his head torch!

I wish everyone better who has come down with something.  My husband has man flu too.  Last night he didn't have a beer, now that's how ill he is!  He will probably be writing his will now....

• Options

Pipski: 2 glasses a night! sheesh that's 4-500 calories so a quarter of your daily intake. Cutting those out alone would be a big difference.

• Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

I know....going to start now....image

• Options

That depends on the glass size though. My firend says she only gets 3 glasses out of a bottle. I get 8! A standard glass is 125ml and you shoud get 6 from a bottle. Wine is about 600cals a bottle from memory.

The problem is alcohol is metabolised before and in preference to anything else and affects the way you absorb sugar. Bit rubbish really.

• Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

I only drink small glasses, probably about 175ml glasses.  I never order large glasses from a bar, because after just two of them, I'm on my way!   My physio also said that alcohol interferes with recovery, especially injury recovery.   I also want to have an awsome figure for Xmas, so I am cutting out the weekday booze (weekend tomorrow though, so Friday I can drink right?).....image

• Options

TimR around 250mls is 200-250 approx calories.. Seriously who ever pours a 125ml portion of wine, except for a waiter!

• Options
    I do. I have 100ml glass. Bottle stays in kitchen and then I have to go from the sitting room to the kitchen to get another glass. Works for me. 4 glasses on a Sunday night, after a long run, just over half a bottle. Then I have a couple of glasses on Tues and a couple on Weds. That's it for the week. 10units unless I have a couple of pints on a Friday.
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

That cracked me up Tim...I'm pleased I'm not the only one who likes to live a little (must invest in those 100ml glasses) x image

• Options

erm, I'd best keep quiet about my drinking though I now only drink on days that end in a 'Y'image

• Options

Whisky doesn't count image a lot less calories in spirits

• Options

hehe, well, since this is a running thread I do have the odd 'chaser' .

• Options

laphroaig or the extra peaty Talisker special editions for me when I beat you in September please image

• Options

Maybe image Still can't get my head round Laphroaig however just finished a 10yr Old bottle of Tallisker (purchased from the distillery last week). Am normally a smoother guyimage

• Options
    I have 3/4 of a bottle of Talisker left. It's slowly disappearing. A wee dram after each race.

6 easy miles tonight, my rechargeable batteries have been rescued from the kid's remote control helicopters and are on charge for tomorrow.
  • Options

8.2km for me tonight 51:21 

• Options
    Good work. Nice and slowly does it.
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

I ramped up my mid weekly mileage from 6 miles to 8 miles, by running home.  Was doing homework with kids by 7pm, now that's what I call marathon time management!   Only probably was my legs were so sore afterwards I could hardly sit down.  It probably didn't help that I weight trained my legs at lunch time, the day I ran home!  I have an 11 mile run on Sunday and really looking forward to it.  Surely my legs will get used to all this and those wonderful muscle fibres will start to recover! ?

• Options
    Just keep the speed right down on the long runs. You'll be ok. Not sure about doing weights on the same day though.
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Thanks Tim, I'm going to plod along on, on Sunday.  With regards to the weights, it's going to be trail and error when to do it.  It's Friiiiidddaaaayyyy, that's two beers for you and a 100ml glass of wine for me image

• Options

I'm having a semi-resting week as it's the Abbey Dash on Sunday and I want to go all out for a PB. Then I will drink a lot of wine, and get back on the wagon on Tuesday.

• Options
    Hopefully 10miles for me in the morning at something around 9.5 to 10 min/miles fingers crossed.
  • Options

I hope everyone had decent weekends? How did the Abbey Dash go sra? and the 10 miler Boro? How are the legs now Pipski?

Just 15 miles for me this week image The next 2 weeks are packing and moving home but hope to do at least 25-30 miles.

• Options

So when is everyone's next planned attempt to crack 4:30?

mine isn't until May Milton Keynes. But I cannot decide if I fancy signing up for one before then. 

• Options
    booktrunk wrote (see)

So when is everyone's next planned attempt to crack 4:30?

mine isn't until May Milton Keynes. But I cannot decide if I fancy signing up for one before then. 

April 6th 2014 at Lochaber for me. Steph, your less than 6 minutes away if memory serves correctly so am guessing whenever you do your next Marathon you'll break the barrier image

• Options

7 minutes away 4:36:59 so I need to take 7 off... 2 minutes were lost when I literslly stopped to sort out a blister but it was so wet the compeed wouldn't stick, and the 2 min stop cooled my body down so much in the rain that I pulled a calf as soon as I restarted. which made the last 12m tediousimage but to be honest even though it hurt I don't think it slowed me at all. Once I stopped it took me half an hour to limp 500m to my car, but when running I think it made no difference. The adrenalin takes over and you just tell your body to STFU.

I think I need a consistent 4 days training instead of just 3, and I've gone from 0 cross training to 3 small kettlebell core sessions a week. 

my problem is I still really struggle to do any speed sessions. That's why I'm starting park runs again to try to use them as a 5km speed session on top of everything else. 

My "new" problem isn't a problem it's just developed and something I need to practise. I've lost the knack of running slow. Everything I run is at marsthon pace. Or quicker I know this is wrong. 

so yesterday was Parkrun today I should have plodded, did 13.25km cross country around Bradgate Park, and it still 2 seconds per km quicker than my last marathon. FFS I was going through a bog in a couple of places. But stupidly I was still at that speed. 

i rather like the fact that I'm now appreciating just how darn hard it is to beat 4:30 for a marathon.