Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Spent the day transferring everything T Rex jnr can't take to the US with him into our loft.  A useful bit of cross training.  As well as the usual boxes of books there was a lot of beer-making kit, loads of bike bits including a frame and three odd wheels, and one of his home-made speakers.

Unfortunately, with the loft not boarded, I put my foot between rafters and straight through into the spare bedroom.

He's off to do a grand tour of just about all the contiguous States, with his fiancee, before settling down in San Francisco and getting married next April.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Construction site - keep out!

3:50

• Chimney

3:58

• Fenland Runner

4:00

• BritNick
    • InsideForward

4:05

• David McKibben

4:10  

• Sir John a Lot  1st SNOD!

4:30

• rodger dodger 2

Others

• Ali D71  1st marathon!!
    • brer rabbit
    • Chrissi
    • Greg C.
    • jason d
    • John Bach
    • ?LoveEndures
    • massive
    • McHilly
    • Mokshaeight
    • mouser12
    • MTri
    • panad
    • Peter John Lewis
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Rogie
    • Run Jono   40th marathon in 2014 
    • running eye  1st SNOD !
    • super ally
    • T Rex
    • Ultra Disco Stu

• An Other Half
    • Bella bee
    • Bristol303
    • Gurj Dulai
    • koiboy
    • Mr2
    • Wabo

• Options

Mokshaeight says A smidge under 4 hours.

• Options

I will be brave or stupid and say 3:14:59 an GFA for my age group, based on a 20 mile race last week I ran at 6:45 mm pace BUT could easily turn into 3:30+ as no idea how to pace this whatsoever!!

• Options

4:59:59 would please me!

• Options

fish-out-of-water   Yes, guess I was remembering shots in SC4 coverage which I've just found on YouTube.  I see that SC4 coverage will be on-line so hopefully will get to see it as have no Sky to record.

• Options

I'll be hoping for 4h (just did a PB in chester in 3'41), Plan had been to just "jog around" enjoy the scenery and not even think about the time.... But now thinking let's see what I can do..... Obviously won't be same as Chester, but am curious to serif I put the same effort in, can I get under 4h. 

• Options

Me Trex to get round and still be alive!

• Options
    4.10 would be dream land for something like Snod. Bought my gels today. Countdown begins. One last long run
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

There was a question mark there Mr Rex image 3:50 will be a stretch! 

Running Eye, based on that 20 a gfa looks a sure thing. Not bad for a course like SNOD.

Mc H, If you want to get round under 4, you can. Don't kill yourself in the first few miles,  or the long pull after Beddgelert. Save some energy for the big hill and 6 minute mile down the other side and you'll be fine ( Or flat out in a bad way depending on weather...... )

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Sir John, dreams are just our sub conscious telling us we can.....

• Options

Like your thinking Chimney. Will run on feel and enjoy it. Ignore watch and have fun. 

• Options

Rogie, the programme will go out on S4C at 7pm on Sunday 26th October and then will be available online at s4c/clic for a further 35 days. image

• Options

Off for last long run before snod.

A little undecided on distance and effort-think I will keep the route flat(ish) but keep pace around 7:25mm which I hope to average at snod.

Just checked my stats for this years  2,100 miles with 203,366 foot of climb so a similar distance v climb ratio as the marathon- not sure that will help but quite like the stat

• Options

Greetings everyone. Sorry I've been out of contact since last year's SNOD. I've lurked on occasion but that's as far as it ever got. Everyone's been keeping busy I see, not least superwoman brer rabbit with the serial compulsive racing. It's still paying dividends, brer. image

I got my 10th PB of the year last weekend at Congleton Half with 1:40 and a bit. That was 2 minutes off my Wilmslow Half time of 2004 (and yes, I have done a few 'Half's since then).

Next weekend as usual is the Round Rotherham 50-miler to begin my taper for SNOD.

Sir John a Lot, if you're aiming for 4:10 I think I should readjust my target to 4:20. image Will you be at the Park Run tomorrow?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:15

• running eye  1st SNOD!

3:55

• Chimney

3:58

• Fenland Runner

3:59

• InsideForward
    • McHilly
    • Mokshaeight

4:05

• David McKibben

4:15  

• BritNick
    • Sir John a Lot  1st SNOD!

4:30

• rodger dodger 2

4:59

• Rogie

Others

• Ali D71  1st marathon!!
    • brer rabbit
    • Chrissi
    • Greg C.
    • jason d
    • John Bach
    • ?LoveEndures
    • massive
    • mouser12
    • MTri
    • Nurse Gladys
    • panad
    • Peter John Lewis
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Run Jono   40th marathon in 2014 
    • super ally
    • T Rex
    • Ultra Disco Stu

• An Other Half
    • Bella bee
    • Bristol303
    • Gurj Dulai
    • koiboy
    • Mr2
    • Wabo
  • Options

Hi all, I’ve not posted on here since last year but have been dipping into the forum to see how everyone’s training is shaping up.

This year will be my 5th Snowdonia marathon (if I manage to finish it). I say that as I’ve not had the best year running wise and have had to pull out of a few events due to health reasons (dodgy stomach). The lure of Snowdon is too much though and I'm determined to make this five years in a row.

I've done the last four races with my brother (Gurj Dulai) but unfortunately the busy world of having a baby girl means he can't make it. We finally managed sub 4 last year and were hoping to knock further minutes off this year when we entered way back in January.

The training this year has been really gruelling for me and I need to do my 'long run' this weekend. I had wanted to have had that done by now so am feeling quite apprehensive about even that.

I've not booked any accommodation yet so if anyone maybe isn’t doing the race or if someone has any pointers accommodation wise at this late stage, I'd be grateful. I've always stayed at either Llanberis or Caernarfon. 

Anyway enjoy the weekends running everyone.

• Options

Hi T Rex,

Can you put me down in the 4:15 group? Have kept a low profile but have been slowly plugging away, this too will be my first marathon, in at the deep end as always!

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Cheers Mr Rex, feel happier now image

Gringo, wearing your WBA strip again? Easy to recognise you! 

Ensconced in my B&B in York, half mile from the Uni. Taking the opportunity to go round museums etc without Mrs C tutting, tapping her foot, and looking at her watch in a suggestive manner. 

I was actually having butterflies in my stomach as I left home about the race on Sunday, in a good way. Haven't felt that for a couple of years, must be getting my mojo back.

Caught myself looking at a P&D 70 plan on the train with a view to smashing my PB at Manchester. Just as long as I don't tell Mrs C until the start, or find another around then that's flattish, 'cause she'll kill me if I leave her to run it herself.

• Options

So thats last long run done - did a progressive 20 miles starting and 8:10 mm and building to 6:55 for the 17th mile, then 2 miles at 7:35ish wanted the last 2 miles at 7:15 but a mixture of getting my dog back on the lead, complicated (for my tired brain) gate systems, and holding back for the last mile which has 400 foot climb meant I could not get close to 7:15. The last miles was a bit of a test for the hills at 23 miles in snod- managed to hold 9 mm but that was after 19 miles not 23 and was only for 1 mile not 2!!

Never felt comfortable on todays,run spent most of the time mentally changing my snod plans from 3:15 to enjoyment!! we will see! Hoping for some taper magic!!

• Options

Chimney, yes for sure I'll be wearing the WBA top. If you see me, please give me a shout of encouragement. I'll definitely need it.

T Rex between 4:00 and 4:15 I think. Thanks

• Options
    massivemassive ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, some great training going on! Think it's going to be hard reducing those miles down for the taper!(for those of us tapering!!)

I'm feeling brave T Rex - put me down for 4.15!

Been looking on trip advisor etc for somewhere to eat the night before (staying in Caernarfon). Anbody any recommendations?

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Food good thought. Mr Rex, Ultra Disco Stu, I've got the Friday off and planning to take an easy drive over. PM me with your food and drink requests and I'll do some shopping before getting to the house. 

• Options

I'll be there as well, Chimney. I'll have whatever you're having.image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Sorry Britnick, forgot you were in as well. 

So Fois Gras washed down with a few bottles of '79 Chateau Lafitte then? 

• Options

That'll do for race day fuelling but we'll have to take it up a notch for the post-race celebration - perhaps stretch to three courses with aperitifs and digestifs as well? Ideas anyone?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi BritNick - glad to see you're still about.  Looking forward to catching up with you.  I want to hear all about the Valleys 100 about half of which was on paths and trails I regularly use for my training runs.  Unlikely ever to be anothe 100 I could run to the start of from my house!  I hear it was a little damp, though?  I was gutted to miss it due to work commitments.

Chimney - I'd like roasted seasonal vegetables and quinoa in a comfit of beetroot jus.

I was actually thinking of going to Y Pantri?

I'll bring a few bottles of red for general sharing, though.

Do you know where this cottage/habitation of wretchedness is?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Lists always seem to have the effect of bringing everybody out of the woodwork.  Hi, everyone! 

Still plenty of craic to be had.  And remember it is the duty of somebody who has had to pull out to start next year's thread which must begin before this year's race starts.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Ahh, Pantri. Yes, that would certainly save on the washing up!

if you stand with your back to Pantri, look across the lake, let your eyes drift ever higher to the horizon, look slightly right, you'll have a rough idea where we're staying. Nice downhill jog to the start, good stretch for the legs after the finish, ( Or just bleedin' painful depending on how hard you've gone)

I'll get some coffee & tea, milk & sugar. Also some biscuits & crisps for snacking/sharing. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Got to get the domestics right.  I have almond milk, chocolate flavour.

Those still aren't the best directions in the world!