Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    "Pairing a new pair"!? Buying even.... Dispatched already too image
  • Options

1548. if you add first two numbers to the second two numbers it adds up to, no where near my age or anything really.image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

The room at the Fairmont, Montreal where John & Yoko did their Bed-in and where John wrote and recorded Give Peace a Chance.

Or, a 5k time it would take some serious pharmaceuticals for me to do......

Run Jono, I am a walking testament to making sure a tear is healed before pushing it. I tested the hypothesis on numerous occasions after SNOD last year. Each time the answer was Too Much, Too Soon resulting on me breaking myself regularly, and ending up taking several months off completely. A year later and I'm almost back to where I was before I did it. You of course may be a tad more sensible about restarting your training than I was. Who'd have guessed you'd have to build back up again rather than going straight back into long/hard/fast etc. Go figure eh?

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

2847 for me

i shall look forward to seeing a few of you in Abingdon at the weekend, I'm not daft enough to run a marathon on 2 consecutive weekends , so am saving my energy for SNOD but will be marshalling towards the end of the Abingdon course as it's my local, so will be looking out for and supporting SNOD runners ( actually I am daft enough to think doing 2 marathons in 6 days sounds like a good idea, maybe next year image)

• Options
    Good evening all,

Just to clarify that the Pantri will be open until 8 on the Friday night and possibly 8 on the Saturday night. Pasta, Curry, Lasagne and Veggie options will be on the menu including delicious cakes for pudding and of course the best coffee in town. Bring your own beer if you wish on Saturday before you head off to the pubs.

See you soon

SS
  • Options

#1447 for me - quite appropriate as SNOD should be my 44th marathon of the year and this will be my 7+1 SNOD image

I take your points TRex & Chimney - I've been resting lots as well as working my way through two colds, probably courtesy of my daughter and her school chums, and my body trying to repair itself.  No training except weekly yoga and my seemingly interminable physio exercises, into which I have thrown my effort wholehertedly in my attempt to get to the SNOD start line.  There's still a small fibrous lump on the site of the repair, but it's diminishing in size every week now, and I'm definitely not training too hard or too fast - partly because that would involve training image .  It could explain why my aerobic fitness has fallen off somewhat over the last 4 weeks...

Thanks for the Pantri update SS - Mrs RJ and I will aim to pop in sometime on Friday afternoon/early evening, and I'll probably call in for a pre-race coffee when you open on Saturday morning (I think you said 8:30??)

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You shouldn't be doing yoga with a muscle tear either, RJ!!

This thread certainly has more than its fair share of nutters.  Looks like McHilly will be joining them ... (The concern really starts when you start doing 6 marathons in 6 days ...)

I think Pantri calls Friday evening (veggie option please, SS).

image still thinking about brer's idea.

• Options
    Hi everyone

A couple of random questions for a first timer -

Is the tracking usually up to date as in some marathons it doesn't really work until the runners have finished!! Just so hubby can see where I am at half way image

Cups or bottles of water at the stations??

Thanks v much, really looking forward to it ????
  • Options

Just found out that there's no finishers metal.  Guess I'll have to drill a hole in the coaster and put a ribbon on!

• Options

I'm back. Trainings gone OK. Did spitfire Scramble 24 hour race, 4 x 6 mile laps in the day at between 45 and 50 mins per lap. Also lots of double days 11 miles into work, then 9 miles at club, hill training in lovely flat Essex, then last couple of long runs went well.

Stick us down for 3:45, get to Waenfawr for 2:50 then try and hold on up the hill. and down the other side. It's a plan.

Mrs Lemmy pulled out and we sold the number on (I think to Fenland Runner, though can't be sure). Hope everyone had a good summer and see you a week Saturday. Travelodge Caerarfon for me, Fish & Chips for Friday night plus a few pints then Bachgen Ddu for a slap up binge and more pints on the Saturday.

Katherine Preston - they had little pastic cups with foil tops last year which didn't hold a lot but worked a treat. This is the first time they've done the tracking. We'll see how it goes...

• Options

Thank Lemmy and Mrs Lemmy image

• Options

Hello Team Snodders, just returned from a blistering 17 miler in wind and rain...yeh, nice to acclamatise to forthcoming weather at Eryri. Yes Chimney, I believe I was first at York marathon, that is, first to nearly collapse of hypothermia at the beginning image. I'm in the Yorkshire Post photos and a ravishing dude I look tooimage

Great news, gaffer has agreed to let me have Friday afternoon off so will be meandering my way over to digs at a sensible time. Get sorted, registered then into Y Pantri for some fantastic coffee. Are we having a meeting time?

Great to see some familiar names here again, please come and join us at Y Pantri if you are in Llanberis on Friday, early evening.

Liking your carb loading strategy Lemmyimage

• Options
    Thanks very much Lemmy, there seems to be quite a lot of water stations so I'm sure I'll manage with plastic cups ????
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi Katherine.  

Didn't know there was live tracking?  Is that to stop people taking short cuts up Snowdon?

Hope you training has gone well.  Ultra Disco Stu has just started his training and I haven't done any at all yet.  I'll see what happens at Abingdon and then I will have some idea if 4:10 is feasible ...

Great to see some other old and new faces on the thread.

Chimney - great run at York.  Didn't know you could shift like that.  That is just about my PB from 2008.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:15

• running eye  1st SNOD!

3:29

• #163 Ultra Disco Stu

3:45

• Lemmy

3:50

• #1742 Chimney
    • #1569 The Lazy Greyhound

3:58

• #1230 Fenland Runner

3:59

• InsideForward
    • #2847 McHilly
    • #1548 Mokshaeight

4:05

• David McKibben 

4:10

• Gringo WBA   5th SNOD
    • #1310 T Rex   8th SNOD

4:15  

• BritNick
    • Buxton Sprocket
    • massive
    • Sir John a Lot  1st Marathon!!

4:30

• rodger dodger 2

4:59

• #162 Rogue

Others

• Ali D71  1st marathon!!
    • brer rabbit  39th marathon in 2014
    • Chrissi
    • cougie
    • Greg C.
    • jason d
    • John Bach
    • Katherine Preston  1st
    • ?LoveEndures
    • mouser12
    • #514 mr panad
    • MTri
    • Nurse Gladys
    • #2652 panad
    • Peter John Lewis
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • #1447 Run Jono   44th marathon in 2014 
    • super ally

• An Other Half
    • Bella bee
    • Bristol303
    • Gurj Dulai
    • koiboy
    • Mr2
    • Wabo
  • Options
    Hi T Rex

They had a link to it on their FB page. I have no idea what time to say for SNOD, York last year 4.05 and I've just ran Kielder marathon as a training run, nice and slow 4.59. I would love under 5 hours??

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-SNOWDM-2014#b=na&v=ptrack
  • Options

as I understand it, they're trying split times (at Pen y Pass & Beddgelert) and tracking this year.

• Options

Enjoy guys - see you in 2015

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

T-Rex - i'm a image well actually a image image this year

Trying to persuade Mr C that popping over to support will be fun and he's already resigned himself to the fact i'll be trying to make the start line again next year - in fact he says next year he'll be kicking me out the door training and to the start line no matter what cos he can't cope with the sulking thats going on at the moment

Brer - well done at Yorkshire should we be lloking out for you at the front next week ??

Loving having a trail running shop on doorstep haven't got my new shoos yet (waiting for Mr C's year end bonus) but did indulge in new headtorches at the weekend so no excuses to skip training this winter image

• Options

Bore da pawb/Good morning everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying the taper. I think the tracking system this year is a great idea. I am also liking the t-shirt colour/design - another one to add to the collecting (hopefully I will be able to buy some previous years t-shirts a week on Friday! I am really pleased with how my training has gone - I think I just need to keep my emotions in check (wearing my late Dad's running vest and number he wore in the race in 1993) and, weather permitting, hopefully I'll beat my race PB (2h54m)

Yes chrissi, you are lucky to have the Coed y Brenin running shop on your doorstep - not just great products, but excellent advise from Matt - unfortunately I have not been able to get to the shop yet, but I have sought Matt's advice re trail shoes for cross country and have bought a pair of Salomns from him, which were delivered the next day - fantastic service!! Once Snowdonia is out of the way I will be hitting the Gwydir forest & Betws-y-Coed trails in them!!

• Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

I hope you achieve your PB in the special vest JB. I'm aiming for 3:30, which may be a bit ambitious, we'll see. I'd feel more confident if my dodgy back settles down a bit Hopefully a few days rest will help.

Talking of the 1993 race, I was at my uncle's funeral last Friday. I found out that his sister (who I'd often see running at Morfa Bychan) was first lady in 1993 and 1995.

• Options

An extra special race this year for you JB. That is a wonderful way to honour the memory of your father and I really hope you smash your PB for him. 

Chrissi, I missed SNOD one year while recovering from a broken knee cap (don't be tempted to do the Tough Guy!) and went along to support some club mates. Watching rather than running wasn't as bad as I expected. It also made me determined that I would make sure I didn't miss it the following year. With CYB on your doorstep hill training for next year won't be a problem.

TRex, how's the taper for Abington going? Let me know what number you will be sporting and I will say hello if I spot you. Number 88 for me.

• Options

Afternoon, guys.  

I'm stupidly late to this forum, and have spent a very enjoyable hour or so looking back through past postings.  Thanks for all the info.

This will be my fourth marathon (PB 3.56), but my first hilly one!  I've been training using as many hills as I can, and did manage to nail the Snowdonia elevation in my 21 miler 2 Sundays ago.  So, I'm doing my best to be prepared.

If I can join in the predictions, I have said to others that I am aiming for 4.29 (ideally, 4.17 so that I don't get a PW, but I suspect that's pushing it!!).

Are most of you heading to the pantri on the Friday night?  If so, I will try and reorganise where our group (there's about 10 of us from the realbuzz blogging forum running) meet to eat our body weight in pasta.

See you there.

Cheers

• Options

Thank you GC & TLG. My Mum sent me the entry list and results from the 1993 race the other day GC, together with a piece in the local paper about the race - I could copy and send to you if you want.

• Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Thanks JB, that would be brilliant image. I've messaged you with my e-mail address.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

2:53

• John Bach

3:15

• running eye  1st SNOD!

3:29

• Greg C.
    • #163 Ultra Disco Stu

3:45

• Lemmy

3:50

• #1742 Chimney
    • #1569 The Lazy Greyhound

3:58

• #1230 Fenland Runner

3:59

• InsideForward
    • #2847 McHilly
    • #1548 Mokshaeight

4:05

• David McKibben 

4:10

• Gringo WBA   5th SNOD
    • #1310 T Rex   8th SNOD

4:15  

• BritNick
    • Buxton Sprocket
    • massive
    • Sir John a Lot  1st Marathon!!

4:29

• Gloshawk
    • Katherine Preston  1st SNOD!
    • rodger dodger 2

4:59

• #162 Rogue

Others

• Ali D71  1st marathon!!
    • brer rabbit  39th marathon in 2014
    • cougie
    • jason d
    • ?LoveEndures
    • mouser12
    • #514 mr panad
    • MTri
    • Nurse Gladys
    • #2652 panad
    • Peter John Lewis
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • #1447 Run Jono  44th marathon in 2014 
    • super ally

• An Other Half
    • Bella bee
    • Bristol303
    • Chrissi
    • Gurj Dulai
    • koiboy
    • Mr2
    • Wabo
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sorry, Chrissi, I missed that.  Would you or An Other Half like to begin the 2015 thread?

Gloshawk - most of us heading to Y Pantri?  If SS can handle it, including the sudden descent of another 10 monster pasta eaters! 

Hope you had a good read.  The lunacy doesn't let up however far back you go!

• Options

I've emailed some stuff through to you Greg

/members/images/217406/Gallery/Snowdonia_marathon_1993.jpg

• Options
    I am still trying to work out using my result sheets from the past fifteen years how many runners have reached 20 consecutive Snowdons.

I know Iorwerth and around seven other runners have reached that target but trying to work it out is quite confusing as certain years the results forget to show how many previous races a competitor has taken part in.

Its quite amazing to think 20yrs have passed since that hellish windy and damp start inside the quarry back in 1995, it only seems like yesterday.