Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I know I'm going to regret this....so this SNOD business, do you need to be able to map read like properly across trails? What time does the race start? Are there specific safety things that you must meet (I've read of specific kit being checked for by organisers in another race in Wales) and must you train on hills in order to have any chance of completing the marathon? BTW I don't have a place for this year's race, this isn't a lastminute.com training plan, let's just say I'm SNOD curious!

• Options

Fastest parkrun for well over 2 years, 20:48 today at Peterborough. Enjoyed that. image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Great result FR. So 30 mins to the YHA then? ????
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

LOL Chimney, I will be ecstatic if I can hit my prediction of 3:58 image

• Options
    Oh you chaps are so funny with your domestic arrangements,love the directions for the den of debauchery! Great to hear from you Nick,see you soon. Currently in digs north of Doncaster ready for the onslaught and chaos of York marathon.Fog warnings have now become a bit grimmer on bbc weather so may have a delayed start due to traffic congestion.Deep joy ???? Will look out for you Chimney through the mist!
  • Options

Last long run done. 17 (20 including morning's parkrun. 332m climb in 2.36. Felt good, great to have a good run on your last long 'un.

Brit Nick, I'll send you my mobile to see if you want to car share.

Is anyone  staying near Llanberis, can you recommend somewhere to eat night before ?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Leigh - to answer your questions:

• No map needed.  The vast majority is still road. For a remote area the field is large and you will always have someone in view.  The track after Pen-y-Gwryd is marshalled and obvious.  At Waunfawr the road gradually deteriorates into a 'miner's' track followed by a short offroad section up and over a hill.  The descent is grassy and wet so and care is needed in road shoes which you will be wearing.  After that a quad-bashing steep downhill, concrete then tarmac, down to the finish.
    • No safety kit needed.  Unlikely to be vest weather except for hardy people like panad and jason. It will be windy, wet, and cold so sensible clothing choice needed at the start.
    • Hill training certainly.  The hill from miles 22-24 is legendary and leaves most people huffing and puffing. It's 830' in 2.7 miles.  If you're used to offroad running it shouldn't pose much of a problem.  I did a race last month with a climb 1130' in 0.7 mile!  But I wouldn't say my progress up that could be described as running.

Entries usually open 2400 New Year's Eve which is when some of us do enter. 

Get yourself entered and join in the craic on here.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

brer - domestic arrangements?!  The food is one thing, but there is another matter which we haven't discussed at all yet.  It's a rather delicate situation, a bit awkward to state on such a well-mannered thread, but it's simply this: who's going to be sleeping with whom?

Sir John - two good places: Y Pantri which is going to stay open into the evening (thanks, SS) on the Friday and Saturday, and the renowned Pete's Eats, very popular with the climbing fraternity.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:15

• running eye  1st SNOD!

3:55

• Chimney

3:58

• Fenland Runner

3:59

• InsideForward
    • McHilly
    • Mokshaeight

4:05

• David McKibben 

4:10

• Gringo WBA   5th SNOD
    • T Rex   8th SNOD

4:15  

• BritNick
    • Buxton Sprocket
    • massive
    • Sir John a Lot  1st SNOD!

4:30

• rodger dodger 2

4:59

• Rogie

Others

• Ali D71  1st marathon!!
    • brer rabbit
    • Chrissi
    • Greg C.
    • jason d
    • John Bach
    • ?LoveEndures
    • mouser12
    • MTri
    • Nurse Gladys
    • panad
    • Peter John Lewis
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Run Jono   40th marathon in 2014 
    • super ally
    • Ultra Disco Stu

• An Other Half
    • Bella bee
    • Bristol303
    • Gurj Dulai
    • koiboy
    • Mr2
    • Wabo
  • Options
    Leigh - are you getting confused with this race - http://www.snowdonrace.co.uk/

Snowdonia Marathon is a walk in the park compared to that !
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Morning all, 

Mr Rex, I've slept with many men ( I'm sure there's a better way I could put that) in the course of my rugby days (no, doesn't help) when I've been drunk (really doesn't help). Well I was a hooker.......image

Brer, depending on the weather I may make a late dash for the start as I'm only 10 minutes walk away (so a circuitous jog) and can leave my bag at the B&B which is on a direct route back to the railway afterwards. I may pop up earlier to meet a few off the Yorkshire thread, meeting at the RW pacers about 8 http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/plusnet-yorkshire-marathon-2014/275989-10.html

I presume you're in Zone 1?

• Options

Good Luck all at the York Marathon, go smash it image

• Options
    Brer- are you suggesting men aren't domesticatedimage

Sorry for my absence on the thread. Not busy running but ElliptiGOing image starting SNOD training today (I'm not joking!) 14 mile run which will be my longest run for the SNOD14 campaign :-0 so T-Rex as far as 'The List' goes please put me down for 3:29.

chimney - loved your description of where our mountain hide-away is! So TRex if you are struggling to find it just use Chimneys!image

Re food my plan was to bring a huge homemade Lasagne with me. I thought that would go down well on the Friday night. Plus salad! So Brer what are you thinking now hey...image hehe

Not sure what time I will arrive Friday as friend is driving. Will post when I know more detail. But I plan to register as soon as I arrive in Llanberis before I embark on the 1 mile trek up through the country park.
  • Options
    And more on food because that's way more important than running a marathon I'm planning a huge Full English Breakfast on the Sat boys so will be brining bacon, sausage, eggs, black pudding and toms image anyone for mushrooms!?

Trex - vague recollection of you being a veggie?
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Brer and Chimney - hope you had a good time at Yorkshire.

Trex - mr Panad is joining the party again this year, but leave us both in the others group as yet again training has not gone as planned!

We had a final push at doing some sort of training for this year's SNOD with a 20mile hilly plod last Thursday, very hard, but psycologically very glad I did it (even though on race day we won't even be at Waunfawr by then :-/ ) - Mr Panad said the same, he almost cut his run short at 15miles and said he'd see me back at home, but a few mins later I turned a corner and spotted he was behind me again, so waited for him to catch up then we slogged the last few miles together. Whatever will be will be now image
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Oh USD, you are an angel. Full English sounds delightful. Beans? Hash Browns?

I'll get Mrs C to make some of her malt loaf. Has anyone got any particular requests for snacky things? I'll pick them up when I get the tea, coffee, milk (including Mr Rex's Almond milk).

Saw Brer at Yorkshire, just toddling along she was. Spent 7 hours wandering around York yesterday as I wasn't in any shape to push it today. So what did I then decide to do at the start? Find the 3:30 pacer with the idea of sticking with him til halfway then slowing up. As I got to half way feeling a little fatigued I of course decided to go with him just a little bit further. Which turned into keeping with him until 20 when my body suggested that perhaps I should have slowed a little earlier, like 5 miles earlier. Managed to come in at 3:35:06, officially a PB by over 8 minutes, but like at Chesterfield I'm not full of joy (but still amazed I could do it) as I was in better shape last year before I screwed myself.

Doesn't mean I'll go under 4 easily at SNOD, depends on how well I recover from today's excesses......

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Be good to see you Panad, hills are your friend......

• Options
    Great run Chimney. Top time.
  • Options
    Bring some beans if you want them Chimney! I'm going Paleo image
  • Options

Oh my word, the boyz are having a food fest party at the secret pad. Food arrangements sound lush, make room in a bed for me, I'm only little, I can perch on the edge of a double aside 2 blokes. However, people may talk so I'd best go back to my caravan ideaimage

Great to see you today Chimney, I was having a bit of a crap time tbh as I think the exhaustion of actually getting to the start had done me in .

Having to find dog sitter, finding digs that weren't a rip off, the stress of the fog on the drive there from digs (I was nr Doncaster and I couldn't even see the fog lights of cars in front of me on the motorway at one point) and then the utter chaos in my head of sorting kit at the 'park and ride'  nearly did for me.

Plus, I think that my body was actually saying that the 38th marathon of 2014 was testing my mental resolve. Anyway, trotted in at 3:30:17 so pleased with the time but not had a fulfilling day.

Yeh, I'm on the list, great stuff. Will be 39th marathon of 2014 and 5th or 6th Snod. Marathon brain tonight, cant remember how many I've done!image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Brer, you were first at Yorkshire.

of people with the same first name image

• Options

Evening all.  Sorry about the radio silence - been juggling daughter's crazy phased intro to primary school, work and other family stuff as well as nursing my torn quad.  Followed physio's advice mainly - except for going out and shuffling a marathon or three.  Managed #40 at Tolkien on 24th September (flat 27.6m in 6h05 - had to use walking poles like crutches), but that set my leg back two or three days (no surprise there really), then 10 days' rest to get a bit better.  Having been told I could start easy jogging reps (90s jog, 90s walk), two days later tried it at the Flower of Suffolk, and got no negative feedback from the muscle, so carried on doing that for the entire event, so managed #41 in 5h22.  The muscle felt no worse - in fact the range of movement in my knee improved post-event - although the rest of my thigh felt tired and sore due to lack of use in the previous 3 weeks.  Raised the prospect of SNOD with the physio, and was advised that I ought to run an easy half marathon beforehand to make sure the muscle was strong enough, so ran #42 yesterday and managed to get to halfway in 1h57 - the furthest I'd run (as opposed to limping or shuffling) for 4 weeks, so all recovery goals achieved.  I slowed down for the 2nd half, but managed to finish #42 in 4h07, so I'm hoping (with everything crossed and not pushing too hard) that I'm back on track. 

TRex - SNOD will be #44 for the year (still won't commit to a listed finish time though image )

Great to see everyone's getting ready for the main event.  The House of Fun sounds like it will be the place to be image.  Anyone meeting up pre-race on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning?  I've managed to bump into TRex walking from the bus stop to the start line a couple of times in the last 4 years, which has always set me up for the race...image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Run Jono - you shouldn't be running.  A tear needs to repair not suffer further trauma. But if I can carry on cycling after coming off and breaking a collarbone then I suppose I'm not a very good one to talk.

A palaeo and a veggie, going on vegan?  That's a good mix.  I won't be eating bits of dead muscle tissue, organs, or blood, thanks.  I'll bring my porridge which I make with water, salt, some molasses, and a banana.

In a country park, somewhere on the horizon to the right?  Or was it to the left?  Could do with some directions to the cottage.image  I don't want to have lug half a case of red wine too far looking for this place.

I don't know about sub-3.30, Stu, I think we'd better put ourselves down for 7 hours.

• Options

Greetings all. Just be catching up with the thread and some fine training and racing going on out there ahead of SNOD.

After missing out in 2013 at the last minute I can't wait for 25th to come round but, like a couple of other mad fools that frequent this place, I have Abingdon to take care of first.

Partly to make up for last years missed weekend away for SNOD I did the Trail Marathon Wales in the summer. Brutal but a great race although Mrs LG managed to break her leg and she wasn't even running! Last week I did the wonderful and fast Tissington Trail Half (highly recommended) in 1.28.38 missing my PB set back on 2000 by 30 seconds so there is still life in the old dog!

I think with Abingdon a week before you better place me in the 3.50 group Mr Rex.

Enjoy your tapering folks. Let the obsessing about the weather commence!

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    TRex - take the road through Deiniolen all the way up, through Dinorwig, and when you get to the bus turnaround at the quarry continue along the road, cottage is on the right shortly before the road runs out!

Apparently Mr Panad informed me last night that he is aiming for a sub 4, I did tell him he was pushing it considering the training he's managed to fit in, but to be fair, *if* he manages not to go off too fast he may well have the determination he needs to get the sub 4...
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Cheers FOOW

#514 for Mr Panad

#2652 for me
  • Options

1569 here which, by an amazing coincidence, happens to be my favourite numberimage

• Options

#163 and #162 for my dad Roger (aka Rogie).

Panicked today that I didn't have a descent pair of training (e.g. thought of a great excuse for pairing a new pairimage got these bad boys at 20% off at Castleberg Outdoors

http://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/mzi_b2c9d3e5f31591aa1da501da9418fc0d_68_68_ffffff_80.jpg