Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

if it helps, Peter, I research for the highlights programme and according to my records and based on this year's start list, I've come up with the following (although I must admit I can't say that these are only consecutive ones):

3 people have run it 20 times before

3 have run it 22 times before (inc Sharon Crowley – lady with most previous Snods)

2 have run it 23 times before

3 have run it 24 times before

1 has run it 25 times before

1 has run it 26 times before

1 has run it 27 times before

1 has run it 28 times before

1 has run it 30 times before

1 (Iorwerth) has run it all 31 times before

• Options
    This list looks pretty comprehensive, i know of four others who have competed in more than 20 Snowdons but they had a gap in the late 1980s and returned to the race in the 90s.

A wish and a prayer is called for this year, i lost so much quality training due to a painful back due to a muscle tare when changing my alloy wheels in early September that any time would be a bonus this year.

Up until September 14th i was training well and sniffing at a 4hr to 4-10 race time with the majority of my training runs done at 3-30 pace.

As for endurance its virtually non existent, if i could pop in to Home bargains and buy it off the shelf in a can i would be their best customer.

A slow 6-11 last year looks like a possibility again this year.

I suppose getting around is all that matters, and in the past nineteen years I've never failed to finish.

Thanks and pray for me week Saturday

Peter
  • Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Thanks very much for that JB - I enjoyed reading it all.

I must've remembered the years incorrectly though as Jean isn't on there! The photo I saw showed two big slate trophies, one you can see 1985 on but the other you can't see. So she was definitely first lady in 1985. I must've either been told the other year incorrectly or got it wrong!

• Options

Hi everyone, this will be my first Snowdon marathon & my 80th marathon in total. I run a flat marathon between 3:30-3:45, but have no idea as to how much time to add for this event. Any ideas?

i did Loch Ness marathon 3 weeks ago in 3:48 which is hilly, but I presume not as hard as Snowdon.

is 4 hours reasonable or not?

any thoughts welcome.

• Options

Snap, Ivan!  If I get around Chelmsford Marathon in one piece on Sunday, this years Snowdon Marathon will be my 80th image

• Options

Ivan, you do about the same road times as me. My problem with Snod is the final descent into Llanberis...it is brutal. But if you aint bothered about breaking a leg at that point, go for it! I walk it and so lose a lot of time. I did 3hrs 51 last year BUT conditions were very good. Hope that helpsimage

Fenners, will be my 82nd marathon. We are chasing that shirt boy!!

Chrissi, if you do come to support I will be wearing a Buff headscarf-with Welsh dragons on itimage

• Options
    Having ran London twice, Berlin and Chester marathons am intrigued to see how Snod compares. Obviously going to be a completely different race but have been doing a lot of trail and fell running this year so really can't wait.

Thing I'm most concerned about is the weather . I always run in shorts, whatever the weather , with a concession, at the worst, to long sleeve top and gloves. I'd imagine if it's peeing down you'll need a running jacket ( thinking my parkrun 100 jacket.)

Hoping for a clear day, as I warm up quickly. Getting excited now.

Another note, do you have to book for Y Pantri ?

Probably be wearing Stockport Harriers vest , Welsh flag sown on it with shorts.
  • Options

Evening all. I got thrown into this race when I took sympathy on a friend who was unable to transfer his race number. Made it by 23:59 on deadline day.

By all accounts I've read it's a fantastic race & it will be a privilege to experience but I have little to no idea what's in store.

I've once snuck under 4hrs at Amsterdam Marathon but that's hardly comparable elevation to Snowdonia.

Think I'm best off clinging to my ignorance, pacing as I would for a 4hr run & sucking up the pain as best I can when the last monster arrives at mile 22.

If the more experienced Eryri runners think that's a daft idea, by all means give me a kick in the right direction.

Failing that, see you all in Llanberis.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

SNOD 14 will be #96 but I've got folks who are threatening to catch me up before April!

Ivan - 4:00 very reasonable, possibly 3:55.

Sir John - shorts will be fine but a windproof top would be a good idea + windproof hat and thin gloves. The rain has to be of Biblical proportions for me to wear a jacket.

Hmm.  But that's what it usually is at SNOD.

Welcome, Proven Robbie W.  This marathon will be memorable, possibly unlike any other.

• Options

Raising the subject of fueling / hydration again- In the email from the race organizers yesterday it said electrolyte drinks after 13 miles which is great and I will probably now change my plan which was to run in my saloman back pack and carry my own fluid.

Are the cups with foil lids the kind of thing you get coffee to go in? ie can you grab them and drink while running- I am not planning on much fluid (less than 500ml for the whole race) and then only really to wash down a couple of gels.

I much prefer to get fluid from water stations but find stopping to drink it really puts me out of my stride hence why I was thinking of carrying my own.

• Options

As mentioned above, I was chucked into it in the final hour of the 'transfer window' in late September when an injured friend wasn't able to find another willing runner to fill his place.

Unfortunately it seems this means I've been missing the e-mail updates from the event organisers and whilst I've tried to glean as much from their website as possible, things like getting to start (which appears to be a mile or so out in countryside from Llanberis) seem to be eluding me.

If someone is willing to forward relevant info sent by the organisers: robwindus (at) gmail (dot) com that would be appreciated.

• Options

Hi PRW, I have just emailed them over to you - let me know if they don't arrive. There are two so far that I have had. If there are anymore I will forward them on to you.

The walk to the start is no real problem, just follow the masses. If you are driving to Llanberis on race day I would get there early as car parking can be a pain if you leave it late. The wardens are ticket happy so don't take any risks.

• Options

Received with thanks LG!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Proven Robbie - allow about 20 minutes for a slow jog/walk to the start from the HQ

running eye - if they are the cups with foil lids at this event, which I think they are because plastic cups kept blowing off the tables in the gales in the past, they are very easy to drink out of on the run.  I wouldn't carry large amounts of fluid.  I'll be taking 3 x 280ml bottles with my own energy drink in, in a belt, one gel and a Go-bar. That's enough for 30-35 miles, and ample for a marathon.

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

T-Rex - if i'm not waving on the sidelines i'll start the thread unless someone beats me to it image

LG - yes no shortage of hills here just wish they got easier.  Are you doing any of Matt's races next year?

I find the little cups easier if you punch a hole in them to drink through rather than try to rip the foil off

• Options

Chrissi - yes I have signed up for the Trail Marathon in June - good excuse for a few days away in Snowdonia. I did it this year and it was a real beast. I quite liked the look of the winter half but it sold out while I pondered whether to enter or not, maybe one for 2016. I was very impressed with organisation of the race in June and it is a fantastic place to run. You going any?

• Options

Oh, I've just realised that all being well...I'll be in my caravan in Waunfawr this time next week..enjoying a beer pre the best marathon in the Worldimage (in my humble opinion!). Managaed to avoid a last minute entry into any marathon this weekend so it will be a gentle 20 mile lsr tomorrow and 10 on Sunday.

Dare I mention I've just looked at BBC long range forecast for next Saturday? I hope it is correct but know better than to rely on it!

• Options

I've also looked at the forecast for a week Saturday, that can't be right, as it looks 'perfect'.

However, this Sunday is looking too mild and too windy image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

?  What's the matter with Abingdon marathon this Sunday, brer?  You getting the wibbles?

Sorry, The LG.  Can't get my hands on my number at the moment.  6'1'', specs, Nathan 4-bottle belt, navy vest, black shorts.

• Options

TR - I will keep an eye out for you and hope to get a chance to say hi. I imagine as we run round that trading estate loop for the second time tomorrow we will know exactly why Brer is giving Abingdon a miss! Not really one for views but it will make SNOD that bit more impressive next Sat.

Just had a quick look at the forecast. Looking worryingly calm next Sat but I am sure PJL will be out doing his rain dance to ensure will get the full SNOD "experience" image

• Options

This time next week.....image 

Saw physio other day, apparently I've got tight hamstrings so have one week to loosen.  She recommends doing stretches even if you don't run that day.

Been looking at forecasts too, they seem to vary quite a bit!  You quick ones probably will escape the rain but us plodders might get wet towards the end.

• Options

Rogie, have you tried using a foam roller ?

2 more runs for me 7 easy tomorrow and 5 on Tuesday with 3 at marathon pace.

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

LG - i'm in the Winter half and the full in June. I attempted the full the first year and had to pull out at about 18 miles as i'd been throwing up the whole way image wimped and did the half last year, then was supposed to do the full this year but dropped back to the half, so fingers crossed there'll be no mishaps next year and i'll make it to and through everything i want to do image.  Also hoping to get a place in the Night trail so i'm going to be very busy entering races come 1st Jan.

If anyone's close enough Matt's going to be doing some night trail runs from November on a Thurdsay i think, they'll probably be some longer daytime runs at the weekend too eventually he was saying.

Enjoy the last week of tapering everyone, at least those of you that are image

• Options

Chrissi - If I lived closer I would do them all. A great place CYB if a tad hillyimage Looking forward to having a better stab at the full as it was struggle this year - must do more hill training to avoid the suffering in the second half. Will be interested to hear how the Winter Half and Night Trail races go.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The LG - #300 

• Options

Thanks for responses to my question. Some of the posts here are terrifying! Have I read that right? Some people here have done 96 marathons? I live in London at the mo but dream of fell running. If a move north does work out I think SNOD may be a fantastic challenge. 

Good luck to you all for next week. I think you are on telly? I shall watch!

• Options
    1 week to go image first run out this morning for my Hoka Conquests which I was looking forward to. But no good! Damn things rubbing on back of heal and caused blister in just 10 miles image so hoping I can return!

What road shoes do others here swear by!? I've got everything from minimist to maximist shoes.
  • Options

Having missed 5 weeks training with a calf injury (not ideal) and having only been back in training for only 3 weeks I'm quite relieved it's not a pb course. I'm just going to jog round and enjoy the views. Shoe wise it's going to be a toss up between my Brooks Ghost 6, and my Pure Flow. 

2 more runs for me, an easy 8 tomorrow and a 4 on Weds.... oh and maybe a little mile or 2 loosener on Friday  

• Options
    Ultra Disco Stu wrote (see)
    What road shoes do others here swear by!? I've got everything from minimist to maximist shoes.

Stu,  - For road shoes I use Brooks Vapours, since moving to them I've had no blisters at all. I'm just about (after Snowdonia) to train for trails so I'm looking for similar advice for off road.

• Options

Hi all this will be my 4th Snowdon i always where road shoes Nike Pegasus. They always get me around. I hope the weather is kind to us this yearimage .