Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Summer made a surprise visit this afternoon.

Went to the Carol Nash Classic Motorbike show at Stafford show ground and it was a crazy 22C in the warm sunshine.

Arrived home in Llandudno at 4.38 which had been mainly overcast all day with a keen wind and my very accurate Hi Low thermometer on the back of my house facing due North had indicated a temperature of 19C.

The forecast for next week is becoming more unsettled but should remain unseasonably mild for late October.

As for Llanberis it's surrounded by mountains so it's anyones guess what the weather will do in 7days time.

My ideal weather would be mild conditions of around 15C and heavy persistent rain as that kind of weather keeps one cool throughout the race and there is less chance of dehydration.

When the weather was like six years ago when it rained bullets from start to finish you dressed accordingly for the conditions, and never in my nineteen years of running the race has it been really cold.

Personally i do not like running in warm conditions with high humidity like today's weather, you dehydrate quickly and it's difficult to know what clothing to wear.

How many expensive waterproofs and gear will be discarded on the wall leaving Beddgelert.

In previous years ive been amazed at the expensive gear abandoned by wealthy runners.

Two years ago i picked up a virtually brand new Montane Litespeed H2O waterproof that one of the runners had decided to leave on the wall at a the 14mile marker.

This is my 20th consecutive Snowdon so i want memorable weather, the kind that one will remember for years to come.

I attempted several miles of the cancelled 2002 with around 90 other runners until the Police turned us around at the bottom of Bryn Gwynant.

1996 was also particularly frisky when the race used to start in the quarry opposite Parc Nant Peris.

The Snowdonia Marathon has a reputation for being one of the most challenging 26.2miles in the Uk and possibly Europe, there is no point entering the race or running it for the first time and not receiving a quality dousing from the skies of Eryri.

Ive run London twice and cannot remember much about either attempts other than i hate the place.

If one can remember the weather of 18yrs ago it must have been exciting, and after all The Snowdonia Marathon is all about atmosphere and race enjoyment, so come on Lord switch on the traditional weather for the 25th, it's a classic race so let's have the weather to match the atmosphere of probably the best marathon in the Uk.
  • Options

I never worry about what you can't control, I have my preferred weather conditions, but what will be will be.

The worst weather conditions I have enjoyed was in 2008.  Although it was a bit windy in 2011 (I think?) on the descent back to Llanberis.

• Options

2 years ago I left a Montane litespeed  H2O jacket on the way out of Beddgelert hope its still there.

• Options

TRex, not at Abo or any other marathon this weekend as funds have run out. So did 24 miles on my onesome! Bit late but good luck for tomorrow. Look out for Jason, he seems to have vaporised! Hope he is ok.

Stu, I plod around in Asics GT 1000. I've run a marathon with a pair straight out of the box. They are for slightly over-pronators, don't know if that helps!

Jervoise, my choice for trail marathon/ultras are Salomon Speedcross 3. Awesome grip but great support unlike the innov8 ones I've got.

Cheers Chris and Leigh for supportive messages.

Beer time now image

• Options

Good luck, Abingdon runners!! 

Me too, Brer - GT 1000 are good, although I have run 6 of my 7 previous SNODs in the same pair of GT 2000, and still have them (the upper fabric has worn through, but they're more comfy than slippers!), and switched to a newer pair of 1000 last year.

Walk/jog through the Surrey Hills planned for tomorrow.

Agreed PJL/FR - 2008 definitely the worst SNOD weather, but still a great marathon image

• Options

Hi everyone

Running my first SNOD next weekend but rather than advice for me (so much of what is in this thread has proven invaluable) but I'm after some advice for spectators. 

Looking at the course map, assuming road closures, is it possible for spectators to see runners more than once? It looks like if you're spectating then you need to pick one spot and stay there?

Is it best for spectators to just stay in Llanberis or better to be elsewhere?

Sorry if this seems like a daft question!

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions on shoes. Lots to consider. Can't return my new purchase so if you do see me limping around the course in my clown shoes do give me a pat on the back. Hoping I can 'wear' them in.

Nick Ham - how was RR50 Today!!!?? PB?

Sorry I don't know any advice for spectators to be honest. But bedgerlet (spelt VERY wrong!) at half way seems to attract lots of spectators and nice pubs there too.
  • Options

I've seen loads of runners with support crews, how do they manage that? Or do they get to the junction after Pen-y-pass before the road is closed to that junction?

• Options

Last long run done. Couple easy 4s this week and I'm ready to race.

hoping for tea in Y Pantri on Friday. Do you have to book ?

Ah...looking on their Facebook page, they're a coffee shop. Any recommendations for places to eat in Llanberis ?

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Sir John a Lot. We are indeed a Coffee Shop but we do hot meals as well and will be open on the Friday and Saturday evenings.

I need some figures for Friday night peeps, as most of you know we are a small establishment and can comfortably seat 25 inside, 30 + if we have buffet style .

From our point of view a hot buffet would be easier to cater for if everyone is eating at the same time. My thinking is a hot buffet consisting of Soup and bread, Pasta dishes, Jacket Potatoes, Pizzas and various salad followed by Cake, tea and coffee. If we did it this way we would treat it as a private function as opposed to an open cafe. We would be looking at about ??20 a head but it would be an all you can eat buffet which would give good value for money.

Any feedback welcome

Thanks

SS
  • Options

T-Rex, I had a shocker today, no way am I going to be sub-4 next Saturday, can you please move me to the sub-4:30 zone.  AND that may be over estimating my current ability. image

• Options

Great running T Rex was great to see you at Abo today, I'm sure you must have finished well as you looked relaxed and strong approaching mile 25, somehow I doubt I'll look that fresh as I approach the end at SNOD next week!

• Options

SS, just a very strong coffee for me pleaseimage

Sorry to hear you had a bad one FR, but it was just a dress rehearsal! However, as I seem to be developing full blown lurgy, I may join you on the revised time zone.

So, Mr Rex-how did you do?

Were you running Mc Hilly. If so, did you have a good one?

• Options

I was just marshalling, Abingdon's my local.... it's a great well organised fast race..... But Snowdonia is definitely more to my liking, looking forward to Saturday image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been up in Kilnsey Yorkshire climbing and walking for a few days. Met up with some friends from Berkshire who were up for the weekend. Only done a couple of short runs at Mrs C speed since last weekend, realising just how much I put into my PB. Spent last night eating lots, drinking lots of wine, followed by a nightcap that ended up being a third of a bottle of Jura. So a very, very drunk me passed out sometime in the wee hours.

unfortunately, one of my friends had suggested a 10 mile run before breakfast today which I had agreed to. I must have been drunk, not just for agreeing to it, but agreeing to it with someone who was in Microsofts adventure racing team at the worlds a couple of years back. 

We set off in the dark at 06:30. I was still a little drunk. I struggled immensely in the first three miles, throwing up, walking 'cause I couldn't run etc. Finding out that we'd done 1200' of ascent in those first 3 miles made me feel a little better! I was hoping I'd feel better as the run went on. I didn't, I only felt worse...... I didn't have anything in the tank, calves cramping, hamstrings tight, stopping to throw/stretch. It's more I think that I just haven't recovered. 

Hope everyone else had better runs/races today.

FR, we should help each other, either go under 4 or just get round, one of the two.

Brer, hope it clears up by next weekend.

SS, I'll be in for a coffee and a chat in the afternoon, and be back about 6 to eat. Whether that's a standalone meal or Buffett I'm good 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Chimney I've decided to give up on any marathon times until I get to the hundred.  So with my current form, I will be on sub-4 until Beddgelert then will fade very badly.  Company would be good as the miles go by quicker with somebody to talk too image

• Options

SS - will be in for a meal in the early evening (and tea/coffee in the afternoon); like Chimney am easy although Mrs RJ probably won't eat nearly as much as me!!!  I'll grab an early coffee on Saturday morning too. 

LB - personal observations from me on the course and Mrs RJ at various points: spectators are usually best in one place as they can be guaranteed to bag a good spot, but the roads are open from just after Pen-y-Gwryd and some spectators try to follow their runners through the second half of the race after Beddgelert where there is generally less traffic and there are more lay-bys to use.  If you do suggest that, please ask the car driver(s) to be tolerant of the runners - we tend to wander all over the road, which we shouldn't do as the road is open.  Mrs RJ, on the other hand, prefers to jog up the PYG track from Pen-y-pass then down the Llanberis path before lunch, and then jog round the Lynn Padarn forest, do some Christmas shopping and be ready to stand on Llanberis High Street as I come lumbering along like a troll, unable to bend my legs after the descent from Bwlch-y-Groes.  One word of warning from Mrs RJ if your spectators are planning on spending the day in Llanberis - if the weather is pants (which it has been more often than not) the cafes get REALLY busy!!

Brer - hope your lurgy clears up in time for the weekend. 

FR - the main thing is to enjoy it, we've all been working towards this Saturday for months.  I've just done my first hilly event since August, and whilst I finished nearly an hour faster than last year, I didn't add 4 more miles by getting lost image .  I'm definitely less fit that I had hoped, but only to be expected with the lack of race pace events over the last month.  Sadly I'm resigning myself to a course worst on Saturday, but just getting round will be an achievement with a healing quad. 

• Options

Chimney, sounds like what just happened to me last week - a mate has just emigrated to Australia and before he left we went down to London to see him off. All day session and next day back in Sheffield I decided I was going to do my last long run. It was utter hell - nearly throwing up the whole way, really dehydrated, running like a robot, like someone had splinted my legs. Still not quite right after it. Definitely not the right way to start a taper. Mrs IF has banned me from booze since.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

So that was you, McHilly?  Wasn't quite sure who you were, but nice to meet you.  Very kind remarks but the full story is that between miles 20--24 I was doing a lot of speed hiking!

Marathon running is a very honest sport.  You only get out of it what you put into it, and since I have done negligible training I found today a tad difficult and finished in a pedestrian 4:11.  To say I'm going to get round SNOD, which in comparison has a few slopes, in 4:10 is rather optimistic, but we'll see.

Rather concerned about jason.  He wasn't at Abingdon where I know he was targeting a PB attempt.  Come in, jason, what's happening, buddy?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Lawrence - unless your family are particularly good fell runners they are unlikely to be able to view you at two different spots!!  There's quite a gnarly mountain or two in the middle of our race loop!

This RW cottage is going to be a bit interesting if I bring my promised half a case of red wine, which Chimney seems to like.  BritNick also drinks prodigious amounts of the stuff but doesn't seem to get visibly affected.  Not sure about UDS.  Is alcohol allowed on a palaeo diet?

SS - not sure I would want a massive meal but your buffet proposal is inviting.  I suppose we could eat as much or as little as we want?  What time would you want this sitting?

Y Pantri list, Friday evening

• T Rex - vegetarian options, thanks.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You can copy and paste the Pantri list, as long as you don't meddle with the race list.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Y Pantri list, Friday evening

• T Rex - vegetarian options, thanks
    • Chimney - Buffet/meal easy
    • Run Juno - Buffet/meal easy

My year long plan to go sub 3:30 at SNOD next year starts today.....Like all good plans, with a rest day......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Someone told me jasond pulled out of Abingdon after a couple of miles and won't be doing Snowdonia.

• Options

I kept 'em peeled but I didn't spot you yesterday Mr Rex. Sounds like you had a similar Abingdon experience to me. I was so convinced that I was going to record a PB yesterday and was smack on for 3.19 up until about mile 20 when the wheels came off big time and I finished in 3.33. The marathon is a unforgiving distance and has a knack of finding your weak spot. For me I think I spent too much time doing interval sessions at the expense of miles in the bank. Oh well looks like another trip to Abingdon in 2015.

I spotted Jason yesterday. It looked like he had dropped out at the first drink station.  image

I will cling optimistically to my 3.50 hopes for SNOD but if yesterday is anything to go by it could get messy late on! 

• Options

Run Jono - thanks very much for the info for Mrs B - much appreciated. Think she may go to Beddgelert first and then go back to Llanberis to see some hours later!

T Rex - They're definitely not fell runners! Been up Snowdon many a time but not at the required up and over speed image - was just wondering about driving.

Thanks again

• Options
    I started following this thread back in Janary so been playing catch up with all the postings and appreciate all the invaluable advice given by you nice peeps. It will be my first Snod on Saturday but my 8th marathon overall so looking forward to this one. Last long run completed yesterday, and easy 11 miles and feeling a lot more optimistic that my injury has cleared up now. Biggest decision now is what to pack/ wear....
  • Options
    I'm not on the race list but if you want a prediction you can put me down for 4:10
  • Options
    That was the time i was pretty confident in achieving for this years race.

Up until September 14th all my training was run at 7.30 to 7.40 pace, and even my 10k pace runs around the Nick Beer course were in the low 39 minute times.

Changing my set of Alloy Wheels on my car wrecked any chance of consistent training for my goal of 4hrs or there a bout's.

I pulled the muscle in my lower back and missed four continuous weeks of training, particularly those all important long runs.

Sub 5 should be on the cards but who knows Snowdon is not an easy race to predict especially when Bwlch Y Groes hill is in the equation.

The weather forecast does not look too bad, mainly sunshine and possible heavy rain showers.
  • Options

Another weather obsessive here.  I know I can't change it but the weather OCD is a nice distraction from the usual taper (not that there's been much structure to mine - I just stopped running in early October!).

The (currently) forecast cool weather and lack of rain isn't much of an excuse for failing to achieve a PB so I'm perversely glad there are a few bumps in the course that can be blamed.

I'm a regular on the Triathlete's World forum (*ducks hail of runner's spit*) but less so here.  Subject to weather on 'race' day I'll likely be dressed in black with a yellow Pirate buff.  Being 6 4, the nice big ears (wind catchers) are my discerning feature.  Please say "hi".

Or, since my girlfriend is driving over from a different corner of the country and isn't due until late Friday night, invitations to join other RWers & experienced SNODers to exchange tales (& to have a beer with) after registering on Friday evening, would be welcome.

• Options
    I'll hopefully rocking a pirate Monaco and arm warmers on race day, so say hi if you see me.

As to target, was originally 4:15, but work and life got in the way so a finish will be a win, and a PB, as its my first marathon.