Options

Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Absolutely! 

There were some good ones running last year. Hopefully this year will be the same. Just setting mine up now image

• Options

I'm so happy for all of you who got through! image It's strange how I don't have to feel nervous anymore, and I can now actually get excited for all the finalists, can't wait to follow the trials and tribulations of the winners! Massive good luck all image

• Options

Good luck to all the finalists.

I didnt make it through but will always have boot camp...great day...great people...great memories.

Dont feel confident to tackle the marathon with out help yet so will wait a year but have still got a duo at Thunder Run to look forward to!

• Options

Malcs have you put your forum post in yet, am hopeless at promoting myself so prob not much hope! having to take a while to think about it, hopefully post tomorrow!

• Options

congratulations all you lucky ones!!

would be lying if i said i wasnt gutted not to go any further but i really enjoyed bootcamp and was great to meet you all image

best of luck everyone i hope you all get your times, i will be keeping up with your training schedules and trying to crack the 3:30 mark in the spring!

• Options

Rattler Rattler, sorry you didn't make it.. It was great meeting you at bootcamp.

• Options

Hey Ruffles, congratulations to you, it was great to meet you at Bootcamp, I had a feeling that you'd get short listed, so great work.image

i will be following the process with interest  Knowing that one of the great sub4 team will get a golden ticket is great. 

Best of luck with the next stage. 

Timimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Maxs Mum - mine is up now. Are you ok with how to set up a new thread? It's dead easy but if you need any help just shout.

Jacqui J - commiserations. But...you're at Thunder Run?! Excellent I will add you to the race list and see you there! You can get plenty of help and support here on the forums if you ask for it you know.

Feral Bob - sorry to hear you didn't make the cut. It was great sharing the day with you. I've said it before but they could have picked any of us. I reckon they had one massive game of pin the tail on the donkeyimage  Do stick around!

• Options

Hi Guys - congratulations to all who got through,  commiserations to all who didn't get in.

I think this is probably the worst part canversing for votes. The boot camp was a great experience,  and Paris et all would be brilliant, but personally I quite like a low profile. So setting up a thread is pretty intimidating. 

I know blogging is a big part of the experience,  but its the begging for votes that doesn't come naturally. But hey in for a penny in for a pound! Looking at the votes so far I could do with all the help I can get!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Andy - please don't worry, you don't have to do any begging on your thread. Just talk about your running as you would if you won the comp.

You can do your begging offline to friends and family. I think it will count more there anyway. 

• Options

I'm going to do Paris anyway, so hope to see some of you there. In the meantime I have begun eating better/losing weight (that Asics shirt was too tight for my liking!), stretching and foam rolling more, doing core strengthening and making time to run in my busy unbalanced work life. I may not have the professional support team, but I am going to try my hardest to get sub 3:30 in 2014 (I have Berlin as a backup).

• Options

Musing over who to vote for in each category!

Real shame that yet again there is no chance for a woman to represent the sub-3 hour group when there were 3 sub-3 hopeful women at bootcamp.

• Options

Guys any advice on how NOT to check the voting every two seconds!! I don't know how I am going to survive the next 7 days!

xxx

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

ArrowsLou - good for you entering Paris! You know, the support team are mostly virtual in all this, there's only two training days where everyone meets up face to face. So by following a thread you can get almost the same access to the coaches as the winners. Sam, Steve, Ruth and Sarah were brilliant last year and very giving of their time.

FruitSmoothie - it is a shame, I agree. Not sure why there are only 3 in the vote as well? There was room for another. All a bit confusing.

The vote too could end up leaving an imbalanced 5 - all men or all women. Most years it's been 3/2 split. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

CharlieZBrown - we weren't advised that you need a week off work too were we?! Try and stay calm if you can. You'll be no good to do any training if you're a nervous wreck by next Tuesday!

• Options
    ArrowsLou wrote (see)

I'm going to do Paris anyway, so hope to see some of you there. In the meantime I have begun eating better/losing weight (that Asics shirt was too tight for my liking!), stretching and foam rolling more, doing core strengthening and making time to run in my busy unbalanced work life. I may not have the professional support team, but I am going to try my hardest to get sub 3:30 in 2014 (I have Berlin as a backup).

Hurrah! Come and join in the Paris thread here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/paris-marathon-2014/257261.html

Everyone's lovely and there're people there who are going for all times, they'll be your support network! There's even dinner the night before and pub afterwards. 

FruitSmoothie that is really odd, I thought that when I looked at the categories. As much as the men deserve it too, I would have loved to have seen a woman run a sub 3 marathon - one who's not an elite or Nell McAndrew (who is incredible, but perhaps has had access to resources we normal people don't normally have access to).

I'm still waiting for the phonecall today image In all seriousness, I would appreciate some contact as I'd like to know what the feedback was - not fast enough, too chatty etc. 

• Options

likewise KeyserShuze, I would appreciate the feedback too, but great to meet you last week.

tim

• Options

Malcs - I am trying my best to stay calm but its tough hey!!!  I have just set up my forum and now finding it very difficult to concentrate on anything else!!  Though I have to say the support from friends and family so far has been overwhelming ... this is quite an incredible thing! 

FruitSmoothie / Rattler Rattler - I do hope they call you!!! Keep us updated!!!

• Options

CharlieZBrown, I know what you mean about productivity!  Mine will be zero at work for the next week!

Rattler Rattler and Keysersuze, I thought they were going to contact everyone!  You should ask them for feedback!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

THREAD RACE LIST

Dec
    15 - Telford 10k - Littlemissactive
    15 - Milton Keynes half - ArrowsLou (maybe)
    22 - Portsmouth Coastal Marathon - Maxs Mum
    27 - Wheaton Aston 10k - Littlemissactive
    29 - Buntingford 10k - ArrowsLou
    29 - Moors Valley 10k - Maxs Mum

Jan
    1 - Wymondham New Year's day 10k - KeyserSuze, ArrowsLou?
    19 - Fred Hughes 10 - ArrowsLou
    19 - Not The Roman IX (12k) - Running Bunny

Feb
    2 - Watford half - ArrowsLou, Running Bunny
    15 - Race Your Pace Half - SupermanRuns
    23 - Hampton Court half - Rattler Rattler

Mar
    2 - Bath half - Jon Marshall, Marcus, Ruffles
    2 - Silverstone half - KeyserSuze, ArrowsLou
    2 - Reading half - Running Bunny
    9 - Ashby 20 - Running Bunny
    23 - Coventry half - Running Bunny
    16 - Surrey Spitfire 20 - Malcs, DS2, ArrowsLou, SupermanRuns
    30 - Maiden Castle 10k - Maxs Mum 

Apr
    6 - Paris Marathon - Running Bunny, Ruffles, ArrowsLou + ?
    26 - Plymouth half - KeyserSuze

May
    11 - Leeds half - Sticky
    18 - Great Manchester 10K - Sticky
    18 - Heroes Run - SupermanRuns
    25 - Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon - Running Bunny

June
    28 - Giants Head Marathon - Maxs Mum

Jul
    26/27 - Thunder Run - Malcs, Tigger, Jenf, Clive, Angela, RRR, Sarah O, Running Bunny, ArrowsLou

Sep
    7 - Great North Run - Sticky 
    14 - Purbeck marathon - Maxs Mum
    14 - Baccus marathon and half marathon - CharlieZBrown? Angela?
    15 - Bristol half - Marcus, Feral Bob
    21 - Black Hill 10k - Maxs Mum

Oct
    12 - Studland Stampede 12k - Maxs Mum
    26 - The Stickler - Maxs Mum

If I miss anything - do let me know! 

• Options

I'm tearing myself away from watching the voting before I go mad. Off to the track for some training. Think its going to be a cold one but it should take my mind of the votes.

I'm a member of Royton Road Runners & our website shows our race calendar with some gr8 tried n tested races not just in the local area, worth a look

http://www.roytonroadrunners.co.uk/

Fruit smoothie -  I agree real shame because I spoke to the ladies in the sub 3 & thought at least 1 would get in :0(

• Options

I feel your pain fruit smoothie. Having been in the sub 3 group. Not sure where I went wrong! Have asked for some feed back but have had no reply!

• Options

Really lovely to met you all too - our sub 4 group was really excellent!

I got a fairly generic email yesterday morning, advising that there'll be a discount for us for Manc Mara in 2013. I think they might have meant 2014... I replied, stating my disappointment at the way most of us non finalists found out and I'd appreciate some personal feedback, and got something back about how there were loads of people to contact and the site went live earlier than expected. I've asked again for feedback as I am genuinely interested in what they were looking for, and in terms of my running, I'd love to know if there was anything spotted that I can improve on. 

Still, I've voted for the finalists, although I honestly wish all of you could go through, you're all lovely and deserve to win!

I'm doing Paris anyway and will be aiming for Sub 4, but you'd all be very welcome on this thread: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/paris-marathon-2014/257261.htmlArrowsLou has already made it across!

• Options

Good stuff Keysersuze.  I think I will run Paris even if I don't get through (seems likely as James is thrashing me - wish I could be annoyed be he's such a nice guy) so it will be great to follow each others progress!

• Options

I had a lovely phone call (not as lovely as if it had been the day before with good news!) yesterday. Rather than hear 'I'm sorry...', I jumped in and mumbled something like, I know the news, thanks for calling!!! image

She apologised for not calling earlier, something to do with the tech people putting the finalists up before they could call everyone...

I had 2 emails! Similar, but not identical, although the message is still the same no matter how many times I re-read them image.

I too would have loved some feedback. Any feedback! Not fast enough, not photogenic enough etc etc. I didn't ask as, looking at the PB times for the finalists in the group I'm in, they were all superfast compared to me! image I concluded that would be the reason.

I love Paris, was my first marathon, and I did find the Paris thread extremely useful when I was training! My plan B is now VMLM, again via another competition #chasetheplace....2 more weeks to go! image

GOOD LUCK to all the finalists!

• Options

Fruitsmoothie     I am most surprised about the decision as it does appear strange. One thing which I had been warned about was its their competition and they will do what they like with it. Even now the conspiracy about voting and IP addresses might just be their way of getting who they want and wanted all along in the mag. 

Feral Bob It was great meeting you, hope our paths cross again, I will most likely see you though before you see me tall manimage

All the groups formed a bond I am sure. Our sub 3-30 group was just brilliant and thanks to Malcs, Marcus, ArrowsLou, Ferel Bob, StickyXMasPud,Kirsty White 8, NeverEndingNeil for making the day such an experience.

KeyserSuze Thanks for the good luck message, can I put in an order for cakes image

Good luck to all the other finalists 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I can totally understand the need for feedback. It's a shame you haven't been given any. I'm sure it's very tough for them though. 

Just remember, thousands were rejected before you so to get this far is no mean feat. Not many get the chance to go to bootcamp and that experience, together with the people you've met could transform your running - I know it has transformed mine!

Also, you get the inaugural bootcamper T-shirts! 

Easy for me to say I suppose but come next week there will be 14 more of us feeling similar disappointment. It won't be quite the same I know because the criteria for winning is much clearer.

Please do see this as the beginning not the end. Once the stress of the voting is over and the training for the chosen ones begins the disappointment will lift and we can all focus on what's really important and that's achieving our running goals - hopefully together!

Kirsty - hope the track session tool your mind off the stress of being race leader image I went for the slightly less healthy option of a curry to take my mind off things. As a result I am now a stone lighter. That's as much detail as I'm providing.

SupermanRuns - it was a brilliant day, I would do it again at the drop of a hat - minus the plank session, that was just hell on earth.

KeyserSuze - well done on staying positive. I've spent time on the Paris thread too and can add to your recommendation. Such a nice group of people and all different abilities too.

doppyashton - don't dwell on it. It was probably nothing to do with you and more to do with the others. They may even have had to toss a coin, you never know. Focus on your running and stick around to give us slowcoaches some tips!

Ruffles - it's only day 2, don't throw the towel in yet! Chin up!

StickyXMasPud - awesome Chrimbo name! I'll give you some feedback, you were left out because if you'd made it to voting there would be no contest. They might as well hand it to you straight away. You are that popular and quite rightly so.

Also you were really fighting for just one of two places as myself and Marcus had already taken the two obligatory baldie slots - sadly you didn't meet the requirements for those  image

• Options

I was out yesterday when they called (and hubbie didn't ask the burning questions) but they have replied to my request for feedback and I'm happy to share it with you: 

"The sub 3.30 category was a really tough one, as there were some quick runners in this category.  The coaches feed back to the team and we take their input to determine the runners best placed to hit the target time.   This doesn’t mean to say you are not well placed to hit sub 3.30 – only that there were stronger runners in your category.   This is taken into account along with the overall mix of social media and likely campaign engagement."

I think they are right - definitely on the social media side which is a huge part of it, as my 78 fb friends and 150 running club friends aren't going to get me very far! Although my kids and fellow runners have hundreds!

On being strong/speedy - well ahem that was pretty obvious from the 5k! although I was off form from recent trip to India and off form in general. However, I am not discouraged by that as I know that as you get older the shorter distance races get harder and yet I can keep going steady for hours. Ironically my highest WAVAs - over 78% -have all been in 5k, but my best times hover around 23 mins.

It would have been nice to have seen an over-50 in a category other than the sub 5 though - time is running out so we are even more focused!!

• Options

Sticky, I'm sorry that you didn't make the shortlist, you've worked really hard and are genuinely lovely- think I echo Malcs' sentiment in that!

ruffles, awesome to hear - I know you can't all make it, but would be lovely to see you in Paris, with or without Asics kit image

SupermanRuns, of course - my muffins had pomegranate in too so they're even one of your five a day! (I think). I've just volunteered to make dessert for our Christmas meal - thirty ish friends. It's going to be brilliant, everyone's making something and we're doing secret santa and party games... and we're all in our late twenties/early thirties!

Day two of voting. Phew. I'm exhausted for you guys - keep it up!

• Options

Well done ArrowsLou for getting the feedback and sharing it with us! Makes absolute sense, and I was right about the others in our group being super fast! image

I think one can still get better with age! I've seen people at my local parkrun in their 40s-50s getting PBs after PBs with time, and I don't mean those who drop from 40 min to 30 min etc. Perhaps with Steve's technique, you can achieve sub 23, 22 etc ArrowsLou!

Malcs and KeyserSuze, thanks for the very very kind words image. So happy to have made it to bootcamp and met so many lovely people! Glad that as I wasn't going to be the final 5, that I don't have to go through this voting process to find out!!! Good luck to everyone still in the race, keep it up, early days yet!

Strangely, I've been sleeping better now... image

• Options

everyone so kind and understanding. I won't stress over not being wanted!!! I have had an amazing year PBing in every distance Barr the marathon and am now ranked no. 1 in my age group for England and number 2 for UK. Even ran for England last month in cross country. Can't be too greedy but asics could have finished it off perfectly.