Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

RV - fish.

19 mile run today followed by 1.3km on very easy drill work in the pool for recovery.

Rain forecast again soon, remember rain?

• Options

RV.that is fast.........

we have had rain all evening .started about 3pm.

I have had a rest day as tired and will have another tomorrow as I travel down for the giantshead marathon

• Options
    DaylightRDaylightR ✭✭✭

RV - that's front of pack quick, nice !!!

Think I remember seeing you say you swim at Tri2o, and there were only a couple of guys coming through faster than a group of us training for Bridge to Bridge, so a process of elimination you must have been one. How did you get on with the bloom / allergies this time?

• Options

Seren - another training session?

Something really weird happened in the pool this morning. After a 4km swim on Wednesday, 2.5 hour run yesterday and swim also, it was no surprise that I felt a bit tired doing a few 100m/50m reps in my session. My 100 reps all came in at 1:45 which is normal but I felt like it was taking a lot of effort to hit the reps. I did some easy/relaxed swimming after a while and decided to time some of my easy swimming, I'd never done that before.

1.42 image

etc etc

Need to have another few sessions testing this out as it seemed far too easy to be hitting these times, especially with regards to what I'd done in the past 2 days. My technique must just be so much better when I'm swimming easy that I go through the water easier. It'd be nice to learn how to have a fast mode on that relaxed technique. I'll experiment with it next week and give it a go in OW too.

It was just really surreal.

Anyway, I'll spin my legs out this after and then a long ride tomorrow, which is probably going to be a nightmare as one of my aero bars is broke and I'm awaiting a replacement part. Not going to be fun riding on the hoods when my bike is set up to be on bars image

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭
    DaylightR wrote (see)

RV - that's front of pack quick, nice !!!

Think I remember seeing you say you swim at Tri2o, and there were only a couple of guys coming through faster than a group of us training for Bridge to Bridge, so a process of elimination you must have been one. How did you get on with the bloom / allergies this time?

Finally sorted, sadly I've lost all faith in the NHS, prescribing me antibiotics for what Doctor 1 said was a chemical burn, Doctor 2 said was a virus.  Now all under control with some weapons grade antihistamine Fexofenadine 120mg tablets which I had to see a consultant via BUPA for.

I swam at Tri20 last night, I think you guys were some of the first in the water at 5pm I'd guess?

Sadly what I make up on the swim I lose on the bike as I'm still a very average but over biked mid life crisis cyclist.

• Options
    DaylightRDaylightR ✭✭✭

Yeah, that was us. 4 of us pretty much first in. Have to, to be to be able to get the 8k+ swims in that we want to in preparation.

Good to hear you've got a solution for the eyes playing up.

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Holy cow Batman, just back from a 4 hour ride, the last 2 of which were in a biblical downpour, should have been in a canoe, wasn't really dressed for the wet, some huuuuge areas of standing water.

• Options

Did the Wiggle Chilterns Sportive thing today - that and cycling to and from the start meant I've cycled about 125 miles and I feel just fine, which is good.

We had the rain too - some of the time couldn't see across the road for the rain coming down. I was on my "best" road bike (which now needs a damn good wash) and some of the time the Zipp 404 on the front was underwater up to the spokes. 

All done now and sucessful. 

• Options

Well done everyone! I was away for the weekend - drinking and partying - not overly conducive to training so I'm calling it a rest weekend! Back on it tomorrow - 9 weeks to go! 

• Options

Did 2 laps of IMUK course today 116 miles from home and back - longest ever ride - yay - hope I feel that good in 3 weeks!!

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Nice one 9sqrun

Crap weekend here, with a trip 'home' to see the Tour next weekend this was my big pre Outlaw weekend, couple dodgy hours bike yesterday and all day laid up with a stomach bug today. At least it explains feeling rough yesterday morning.

On the plus side, SWMBO has granted me 2k to blow on a bike, tempted to go TT but a nice carbon bike to augment my darling Bianchi is on the catds
  • Options
    Graeme - where are you watching it? We'll be in Elland/West Vale. Going to wear my pirate top and see if I can chase the peloton up a nice by steep hill!

Managed a decent 90-odd miles round the IMUK course this morning. Legs felt trashed for most of it, but still made it round. That's the last time round the course for me before IMUK. Planning on cycling over to Yorkshire next weekend, to see le Tour, then will begin taper, which I am quite looking forward to actually, as I am feeling tired quite a lot at the mo.

Crooky - how are things with you? Looking like you'll make the start like?
  • Options

I got hit by the weather yesterday too so my 4 hour 30 ride saw some efforts included so I felt better about not doing 5hrs+.

50 min run this morning and then just under 2 hours in the hills after work, avoided the rain this time image

Taper time 2 weeks away, pretty scared. All you IM veterans, do you ever feel ready for your first one?

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

IP, for a reason that escapes me image I'll be at Kettlewell. Will cycle up from my mum's, have a shot at Park Rash and then on to Cote de Cray before headingback. Expecting a few other cyclists heading the same way from Otley.

• Options

IP I will be on the starting line, if I will finish is another question

stitches coming out tomorrow and then I hope I will be able to bend the knee

• Options

rest day yesterday after saturdays tough marathon.......

went to the pool this morning for a 1.2k swim and realised it was the only day this week i could do a long swim so stayed in for the 3.8k

hoping to try and run but my big toes are very sore and blackened from saturdays run..gutted as its the first time in a long while I have had balckened toes.wrong choice of footwearimage

hoping that I can run ok for saturdays half ironman

• Options
    Ironman training hows it going ? It isnt for me image gonna have a nice easy 2 weeks then start traing for the Snowdonia Marathon
  • Options

Well deserved I'd say RBM - just read your race report! Bloody good effort. image Enjoy your rest and enjoy the smugness reading about everyone else still training!

• Options
    I went out with PE staff at work and we cycled over Holme Moss to see what the tour route is like. It sucked. Never go out training with the PE teachers. So pleased that hill is not in IMUK
  • Options

Crooky, sounds like things are heading in the right directions. Fingers crossed it has healed well.

• Options

hope you are still enjoying your rest RBM

yesterday i did a 3.2k river swim and a 32 mile bike ride...............last night was a very hilly 7 mile run......

I really didn't want to go and run at 6 am this morning with my son....i only managed 1.6 miles to match his 2 miles

rest now until my Half ironman on saturday

• Options

Not done anything since Sunday thanks to a rather nasty chesty cough, which has also kept me off work for two days.

Walking a mile to Tesco this morning left me gasping for breath.  Treated myself to a packet of pork scratchings while I was in there.

Feeling sorry for myself (although rather now than in two weeks time I suppose)

• Options

I'm happily playing along in the sunshine, cycled 32 miles today, ran 10 and a bit and then splashed up and down the pool for 2.7km. My right knee isn't too keen to cooperate but the weather was to nice not to today. Easier day tomorrow, just bike I think, and then Saturday is going to be a day off. I've just checked back and it'll be 4 weeks since I last had a day off so I reckon I'm due one!

• Options

Pudge, Pork scratchings? Did you get them on prescription? Sounds a more appetising cure than cough medicine.

Cheggers, how do you do 4 weeks without a day off and not burn out. I struggle with 6 days!

Seren, hope the half ironman goes well.

I managed my longest ever bike ride yesterday. 112 miles, added to my 20 mile run this week and 2 miles white water swimming. It definitely was white water swimming as it was so rough on Ullswater, tough but really exhilarating.

Start taper on Monday. Never thought I would make it this far so I am feeling really positive about the Outlaw now. Even treated myself to watching the recording of last years race last night. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve and I have 3 weeks to go still!

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Long run (2 hour) today off a 90 minute ride.  I wore an ultra marathon vest (not sure what the proper name is for them) with my fluids & a few gels in.  Really comfortable, wouldn't race in it but good for long training runs when you need a couple of litres onboard.

• Options

tricoops....the race was awesome and so was I........

it was a tough one wit soem nasty hills but the views were stunning and the race was friendly and well organised....

ran the run all the way even up the 6 hills....i was determined not to lose my position image

a gentle 36 miler on the bike this morning to loosen the legs

• Options

Had a great day out today swimming and biking the course and some! Great race with Blue Steel. Swam a 1:16 4k not too bad. Shame he beat me by a length! 20 mile run yesterday. Feet up with a beer now. 

• Options

Great IMUK reccy day on Sunday! Good swim followed by the easiest 82 mile ride I have ever done! Roll on the 20th July... Looking forward to round 2 at pen flash iron blue image 

• Options

had a rest day yesterday as I was tired.rolled over at 6 instead of going for a run and slept till 9:25 imageimage

so this morning i nearly tried the same thing but was feeling ok and went and did 3.8k swim and 5 mile run,.......

• Options

Longest ride so far on Sunday - 118km of hilly roads round the Isle of Wight! Was the first outing for my new bike - the carbon dream machine! Very different to my other bike, nippy up hills but a bit unstable in the wind!