Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

Hanster, have you tried aqua jogging. It is meant to be really good running related training without the impact. It is a bit tedious in a pool but I think it would be bearable in open water. You might get some funny looks though!

• Options

Thank you for the advice. I have been doing some walking and I've also looked into some aqua running classes which I now might be desperate enough to go to!

Meldy, it's been suggested that the issue is a combination of weak glutes and my bike not being set up properly. The injury wasn't caused by running but has completely curtailed me for the last 5 weeks. I have carried on cycling and swimming as per my plan.

I have been strengthening and stretching daily and have had a bike fit. I have also spent the best part of £300 getting physio treatment. It just doesn't seem to be healing. 

I'm running out of time and options so any advice on what I can try next would be greatly appreciated. 

• Options

run slowly..... and add a 30sec - 1 min run break every km

start with a 15 min run.

Slowly slowly build it up....

its taper time for me image

• Options

3.8k swim for me......

I hate swimming but needs must

• Options

I shall be out on the bike in this lovely weather today, followed by a run of some sorts later. Enjoy it folks.

• Options

2.3km pool swim this morning - the pool seemed to be unpleasantly hot. Not sure if I am just getting used to the lovely lakes or if there was a problem with the pool! image

• Options

I've been quiet on here a bit recently but I'm still going along nicely. Usual quite a lot of cycling and a bit of swimming but I've really been trying to make some progress with running. Had a couple of days with 2 hour runs and that knackered me for yesterday - so I did the sensible thing and ignored being knackered and cycled 40 miles and had an OW swim! Today all feels great.

I'm stuck at work at the moment and really like the idea of going for a run - which isn't a feeling I have often as running has never been my thing. Hoping the feeling lasts until I get home later (I'll run whatever but it'd be nice to do it cos I feel like it). 

• Options

had a great time crosstraining....

Played tennis for the first time in years with my son........and had a bit of a play in the gym ........

I will run one day soon......I don't run more that 10 miles in training nowadays........

I have an offroad marathon on saturday though so hope its fine for a long day out

• Options

About 3 hours 15 on the bike today with some intervals to finish, then a 20 minute brick run. Hopefully all my bike sessions will go as well as that from hereon in

• Options

Hope everyones training is good I'm pushing my swimming now as need to get comfortable at the 3-4km distance now, cycling is good and a few more long slow runs to close training off nicely.

Could any fellow Pirates loan me an XL or L pirate cycling top for Bolton weekend 17th July to 21st? Happy to pay in pirate sterling (beer tokens) and postage, I'm in the Southwest (Swindon) for logistic purposes.

• Options

4km swim at Leybourne lakes today, polished off in 1:13, not as sharp as I'd like but would equal a 1:10 swim. I feel like my swimming has slowed down a bit over the past 2-3 weeks, somewhere perhaps I'm not focusing on enough and paying too much attention to the bike.

• Options
    Hanster wrote (see)

Thank you for the advice. I have been doing some walking and I've also looked into some aqua running classes which I now might be desperate enough to go to!

Meldy, it's been suggested that the issue is a combination of weak glutes and my bike not being set up properly. The injury wasn't caused by running but has completely curtailed me for the last 5 weeks. I have carried on cycling and swimming as per my plan.

I have been strengthening and stretching daily and have had a bike fit. I have also spent the best part of £300 getting physio treatment. It just doesn't seem to be healing. 

I'm running out of time and options so any advice on what I can try next would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Hanster. What strength exercises are you doing for your core, Glutes and hip flexers?

• Options

bike ride today .another recce of the Titan half course...........the third time up that Llangynidr climb and it isn't getting any easier

• Options

the hill starts at 110m and you climb up until you hit 515m.in one goimage

• Options

Better weather today Seren? image

• Options

Yeah bike fixed, FSA components suck, but sun shinning and I got out to ride. Pure tonic for Sundays Dartmoor DNF at 63 of 67 miles - my pedal & crank came off ! 

Warranty claim being sorted, local bike shop dealing with it. 

• Options

Hi HB - I don't know the names of the stretches but lots of leg raises, bridging etc. I've been concentrating on my glutes and hip flexors rather than core. 

I went for a second opinion yesterday and the physio diagnosed bursitis which has also caused tendinitis. He's told me that even after resting completely for two weeks, and having aggressive physio, the best I can hope for is to walk the marathon and for it to be painful.

It's been a very crappy couple of days and my head is all over the place. I think it's game over which after all the hard work I have put in is just heartbreaking. 

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Hanster, don't give in now, you'll regret it, do the swim, do the bike and if you pull out of the run or walk it then you've given it your best shot.

• Options

Feel for you Hanster, but what Graeme said, you have to get in a positive mindframe and do what you can, you might surprise yourself and pull it off.

• Options

Thanks. I should have said that after running half a mile on Monday night, I'm still limping and my hip is sorer than it was when I first injured it 5 weeks ago. The Physio I saw yesterday has advised me not to attempt the race but I have decided to continue with treatment and reassess in 2 weeks.

I am in two minds. I do not want the last 11 months and all the subsequent sacrifices be wasted but I also don't relish limping 26 miles in considerable pain.  

• Options

Sorry to hear that Hanster, but dont give up, even if you you struggle to do the run you'll be a winner by getting to the start line. How long til your race?

Has the strength training been painful? If not you could try 2 weeks purely strength training, instead of the running, one day on one day off and see what happens.

Throw in some core work - plank, side planks, sit ups, crunches, reverse crunches turkish twists etc. If you can 2 great excercises for firing up the glutes are single leg deadlifts with a dumbbell, squats, especially single leg bodyweight squats.Sounds like you've got the hip flexer covered.

have you been taking anti inflammatories?

Sounds odd but is it any easier running off the bike? I know its late but have you looked at altering your run style? You may find prone running a bit lighter on your joints.Just spitballing here as some of it maybe of some help.

IM is littered with inspirational stories of people doing IM through adversity, you could be the next.

keep your chin up and stay positive..

• Options

HB - I've had three weeks of intensive physio that hasn't worked. I was advised that I could continue biking and swimming but my hip has just stubbornly refused to heal. In hindsight I think it's the bike that has caused the issue (whether it's bursitis or soft tissue injury) as having not run at all for 5 weeks I am probably guilty of overtraining on the bike. I have done anti-inflams and icing etc. Strength training at the moment is impossible but hopefully I can continue in a few days/weeks time. 

Thank you for your positive post - I appreciate it. 

Edited to add that I'm doing Outlaw in 4.5 weeks. 

• Options

I've got everything crossed you'll make it for the Outlaw but don't lose heart if you cant as there's still plenty of options open to you. You could contact the organisers and see if anyone needs a relay member to do the swim or bike.

Don't forget too there's always the Cotswold 226 August 10th or Challenge Weymouth Sept 14 both of which are still open and would give you a bit more healing time. if you really felt like treating yourself what about IM Barcelona in October 5th which is still open too I believe. 

Either way you'll still be competing and wouldn't have wasted 11 months training.

I'll shut up now.image

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Can you persuade your GP or go private for a steroid injection? Won't treat the underlying cause but one or two may get you to the start line.
  • Options

Oooh Barcelona, now you're talking image.

Graeme - I'm willing to try anything. The new physio mentioned cortisone.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    When I had plantar fasciitis the GP did it straight away, needed a second one but that shifted it. He's also pretty good if I say I have this or that race coming up and tries to treat me to get to the start line or says forget it.
  • Options

Hanster - don't know if it is bursitis, but I had this in my ankle joint, went private and had a cortisone, which I usually wouldn't recommend, but it was the only thing which worked - having spent loads on physio.

I'll be walking the IMUK due to injury having curtailed my running training since IMUK last year, although, in fairness, mine isn't sore now, just no time to get run fit.

If you're not going to do any further damage, concentrate on the swim/bike and walk the marathon, then like me do Barcelona later in the year. image

• Options

Hanster.I walked from mile 14 ish last year as It was too hot for me........Had a brilliant race really enjoyed it......#

The right advice would be not to do it.............but not many of us would follow that as we are stupid and stubborn.....

so just go and enjoy it.........pop a few painkiller for the run and see how it goes......walking the course there is great.......you get to see everyone.

• Options

Thanks folks. I see I am in good company with ignoring medical advice and making my own decisions image

I'm not going to make a decision yet, I'm gong to continue with treatment and will hopefully see my gp tomorrow to ask for a steroid injection. I'm trying not to think about how much this will all cost, it makes me feel a bit sick!

I'm taking 2 weeks complete rest and I'm hoping not to lose much fitness or conditioning but I know it's far from ideal. I've just got to make sure I don't pile on the pounds. 

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Just swum my quickest 2.4 miles in my local lake tonight, 58 mins.  Happy with that.