Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

It's quiet.....

Start the taper on Monday with a rest day, today was 103 miles on the bike in to an 8 mile run, all went well and feeling quite positive now. 

Let the restlessness of the taper commence

• Options

6 hour bike ride in lovely sunshine/.but some wind that seemed to be in our faces all day ;;

• Options

Too busy training to post! image Soooo...what have I been doing, yesterday was a 3km swim and then a 1hr/2hr bike/run sesh. Then today was supposed to be 5hrs/1hr but ended up being 5.5hrs and 50 mins bike/run. Bloody knackered now. Bit concerned about my average bike speed but hoping to improve over the new few weeks and also aware you lose a lot of speed at junctions/traffic lights and traffic etc. which shouldn't be an issue on race day.

Now to stuff my face with pizza. image Whats everyone else been doing?

• Options

Well recovered from IM Nice and into a 15 week training cycle for the Snowdonia Marathon. I have lost a lot of run speed doing IM training so its time to get intervalling and tempoingimage

• Options

I had 3 rest days this week.........wasn't planning on tapering for outlaw but i think my body disagreed.......

• Options

That won't do you any harm at all Seren you serial overtrainer youimage

• Options
    I've been doing a bit of running and am happier with my running than I was when I did a half last month.

The cycling is okay. Broken 3 spokes on three different wheels in the past fortnight which isn't ideal but I've accumulated lots of cycling stuff over the years and there's plenty of wheels left to damage.

My swim was concerning me as I didn't seem to be able to move my arms very well in my wetsuit so I've got a new wetsuit and yesterday morning and this morning I did 4km swims (both took 79 mins for IM distance) so I am much happier with that now.

Going to ease off a bit this week and pretend I'm tapering!
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Good open water swim yesterday and 4hrs on the bike, struggled a bit in the wind and the overall speed was lower than normal but got good Strava pbs on the hills in the last 15 miles and a 8th overall on a flat segment in the last 3 miles. Not 100% certain my new bike is the one to race on in two weeks time though.
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Oh and after 3000k or so puncture free on Schwalbe Ultremos this year, I picked two up on the Mavics supplied with my Kysriums.
  • Options

what is making you unsure about which bike to ride Graeme

• Options
    Graeme, I had some of the Mavic supplied tyres (Yksiom - or something like that) and from reading on line they seemed to have a pretty rubbish reputation re punctures. I swapped them for GP4000's and then sold them on Bikeradar.
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    It's a bit more of a racey geometry compared to my Bianchi Via Nirone I think. It could have been the wind, just a little bit of an off day or whatever but I feel fresher getting off the Bianchi, less of an aching back. I've only done 250-300k on the Ridley since I got it, nicer bike by a long way though. I'd sooner arrive in T2 a bit later but feeling better.

Cheggers the Yksions will get swapped for some spare Ultremos I have that were cheap earlier in the year, they're blue, match the bike and therefore must be faster.
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Why's that OrangeCannon? Couple of days off or an aimless ride/run or two for the hell of it and you'll be full of Mojo.
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Alternatively, embrace your mojolessness!

If you felt like this about stamp collecting or pottery, you'd just take a break, catch up on other stuff, and come back when you felt like it.

It's things like fear of losing fitness (but getting it back is a whole new, interesting challenge), entering a race too many (how disastrous would it really be to pull out?), and poor training times (fatigue) that make us feel anxious and guilty when we don't feel like training.

Don't feel bad! We do triathlon for fun. Catch up on stuff and do new things image.

....anyway, in your case, it's probably none of the above - it's post-IM blues?

• Options

OC.its just your body telling you to rest..with 2 Ironman distances close together...you need the rest...image

On the other hand I'm just being lazy and taking days off instead of doing peak milesimage

• Options

Seren - I doubt anyone could accuse you of being lazy!

I have severe taper envy - with Outlaw, IMUK and Roth in the next few weeks it seems like everyone is tapering except me!image

• Options

I've been avoiding this thread for a while but after 3 weeks complete rest I can safely say I won't be at the Outlaw start. Despite seeing 2 physios, a chiropractor and getting acupuncture...nothing is working and I can't even walk a mile to school without it causing sharp pain. It's not worth doing the swim and bike as it's the bike that caused the issue so I would do more damage.

I have come to terms with it and have spent a long time licking my wounds, reminding myself it is only a race. I can't make my mind up if I want to go through it all again next year but I'll be damned if I can let this go without finishing an IM in the future.

Thanks you for all your advice over the past year, I wish you all the best of luck for the coming races. 

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Hanster that's bad news, really do feel for you.

• Options

Sorry Hanster - get yourself right, then come back fitter and stronger; you will finish an Ironman.

• Options

Hanster, that's shit mate.  Sounds like the right decision, although it can't have been an easy one to make. image

• Options

Hanster - really sorry to hear that, as difficult as it is, it's the right decision for now. Keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery in time, and there's plenty of time in the future to achieve your IM dreams. All the best.

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Hanster image the tough bit is doing the training and getting to the start line in one peice in compartison the race itself is a doddle
  • Options

right  off on the bike in a minute......all dressed up on new pirate kit to see if its wearable and what i can fit in the new pocket design.

It is a tad tighter than my old kit so need to see if i can cycle and breathe at the same time.....image

legs need to work after yesterdays hard hilly 6 mile race.I was fast and I am broken nowimage

• Options

Did a 90 minute turbo session before work today so I fully expect to be asleep at my desk later.

One of my cats brought in 2 mice overnight so I didn't sleep well (but meant it was easier to get out of bed early as I was already awake!), and then just as I was about to get on my bike in the conservatory it brought it a huge magpie - I caught the cat and the bird flew out the door. All far too eventful for 5.30am.image Zzz....

• Options

Bad luck Hanster, get youself fixed and come back stronger next year.

I did a coached swim sesh the other day, the coach pretty much changed everything about my stroke, it felt a lot better and I seemed to be a bit faster too, he felt I may be cutting it a bit fine to learn to swim properly 2 weeks before Outlaw, but better 2 weeks than 1 said I, best of luck said he and walked away shaking his head.

Thats the swiming sorted, now to look at the bike image

• Options

hade a nice little bike ride today despite the weather.was working out options for carrying stuff for outlaw...........

unfortunately I somehow ripped my brand new pirate shorts that I was testing out......and not at the seams because I'm too fat before someone asksimageimage

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

hade a nice little bike ride today despite the weather.was working out options for carrying stuff for outlaw...........

unfortunately I somehow ripped my brand new pirate shorts that I was testing out......and not at the seams because I'm too fat before someone asksimageimage

How did you rip the shorts

now you could expect it from me, falling off all the time

• Options
    Seren, you can have my shorts if you like. I really don't like the cut of them, they ride up and end up looking like hot pants on me!