Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

Thanks Cake - I know that you're probably right, but I'm my own worst enemy!  I am up the wall and grumpy as hell if I miss more than one session!

I will see how I get on tonight and if I have another crap run then I'll give it a rest till Sunday.

• Options

Having a severe case of the "can't be arsed" this week. Still slogging out my sessions though but feels like hard work!

Have switched from the Fink Intermediate programme to the Competitive - looks like the weekend sessions are much harder and longer! At least the weather forecast is good! image

• Options

Pudge.....your body is telling you something...listen to it....you won't lose the fitness honest..........

• Options

Rest yes but watch football that's taking it a bit far

• Options

Lovely OW swim this evening.... now watching footy, and a quick hour on the turbo later.

Light day tomorrow, and then Dambuster Oly on saturday.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Lovely turbo session in the garden being eaten by mozzies and watching Downton Abbey on my iPad. Who said this sport wasn't glamorous?image

• Options

4km in the flash tonight - lovely and warm and calm.

• Options

9sqrun - lovely and warm and calm in the flash on Wednesday also, no wetsuit swim for the ironman?

• Options

never bben a non wetsuit swim in the UK......even in the heatwave last yearimage

3.8k swim this morning.forgot it was OW swim tonight.will be interesting to see how that feels swimming in the river with tired arms image

• Options
    Yes they also said there hadnt been a non wetsuit European swim until I bloody did IMDE.

And two years later - another non wetsuit swim...
  • Options

Same in Austria and Switzerland these past couple of years

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Short swim in OW last night as I taper for an Oly on Saturday, 21.5 degrees, even took my daughter along and she managed 500 metres.

Double Brucie bonus means because its a Saturday race I'm allowing myself 2 whole rest days before Fink Week 19 starts on Tuesday.

• Options
    SumoSue wrote (see)

9sqrun - lovely and warm and calm in the flash on Wednesday also, no wetsuit swim for the ironman?

OMG...I'll never make the cutoff without my wettie on!!

• Options

Only stirring things - I don't think for one minute it will be a non-wetsuit swim, although thinking is not my forte image

• Options

Dont like this Tapering Buisness  seem to have a lot of time on my hands! then i start to think about wine and beer! hows everyone one else coping??

• Options

I always do a bit of OW practise without a wettie, you never know, mind you the chances of IM Wales being non wetsuit are slimmer than a slim thing on a very slim day

• Options

First post on this thread! Quick recovery after Wimbleball - been training hard again all week. Still got 80+ days until Wales but doing the hard work for the next couple of months.

Swim in the Serpentine on the way to work when I can - need more non-wettie practice but doubt Wales will be non-wettie!?

Bike - cycling 100+ a week now and getting in them hills.

Running - 10k last night was fab but need to get on some long runs. Cotswold Way should give me some miles!

Taper? - I hate it too!

• Options

sea swims are never non wetsuit........and even if they were the sea is more buoyant.....stop panicing

#

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    110ish on the bike today in about 6:30 moving time. Wish I'd put some sun lotion on
  • Options

had a lovely 19 miler on the bike early this morning.so good that i decided to go on the alnight summer solstice ride tonight and then bike back early for my 10k race in the morning.......

wish i had found time for a nap this afternoon........I don't function well without sleep......

• Options

3km swim this morning - my longest yet - woop! Did it in 1hr 12 which i was pretty happy with. Then a hot, slow 17km run this afternoon. 4 hours on the bike planned tomorrow and a quick run off the bike. looking forward to chilling in the garden tomorrow afternoon! image

Hope everyone had a great (longest) day! image

• Options

I am a training goddess whilst everyone is tapering.....

dod another 125 miles or so on saturday night on the bike and then went straight to the 10k race without sleep......

in sweltering heat managed 53:47 so well chuffed.......

a 4 mile recovery run this morning and off now for a short swim.......looking another lovely day.....image

• Options

Did the Avenger yesterday as a warm up to outlaw, I think I need a bit more training image

It was a cracking day and a really nice tough race, lots of lovely hills, a slight breeze and really well organised, its a very chilled and relaxed atmosphere.

I hobbled in at 7.30:10

• Options

Seren, I think you have put me to shame by doing my weeks training in 24hrs! Great going.

I did the 3.8km Epic swim yesterday which is twice as far as my longest swim. I was really worried I would struggle to complete it and would then have serious doubts for the Outlaw. I would have been happy with 1:30 but managed it in 1:19 and felt I had paced it too slow so I am chuffed to bits. I now am actually feeling confident I can achieve my goals at the Outlaw!

In some ways I will be sad when it is all over as I won't know what to do with myself without my training plan to follow. Think I might have caught the Ironman bug!image

• Options

After a 5 week break from running I was finally given the all clear to try running again. I managed half a mile before my hip started to hurt.

Completely gutted image

• Options
    tricoops wrote (see)

Seren, I think you have put me to shame by doing my weeks training in 24hrs! Great going.

I did the 3.8km Epic swim yesterday which is twice as far as my longest swim. 

Was that the one at derwent water

i was supposed to do the mile but after my accident on sat I couldn't 

• Options

Hanster, sometimes even 1/2 a mile can be too much .... Start really really slowly, 30 second bursts of running with a lot of walking, get a good rehab programme 

as you have been given the all clear, what was the issue and what was the advice?

• Options

Hanster........I would do lots of walking instead of running...........

Tricoops.i would love to be able to swim that first....

I post on a thread on another forum......someones training for the 3 days made mine look like a paddle and a parkrun.

Its all relative to race aims and distances........

But I am still a training goddessimageimage.......need to go to bed nowimage 

• Options

Crooky, just read about your accident. I hope you heal quickly and are back fully fit soon.

I don't want to make it worse, but it was Derwent, and it was a great event. Perfect conditions, great atmosphere and well organised. Some seriously quick kids and I really do mean kids. One of the guys from our club is a pro triathlete and only managed 6th in the mile. All of the people beating him were under 18 and that included a 15 year old and a young lady. There is some serious talent out there.

Seren, I think you have earned a good nights sleep!